There are 141 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jonnydel:
I'm going through the advanced passing stats from 2019 - really interesting and also very interesting considering all the Stafford>Jimmy talk.

Stafford missed 8 games in 2019 to injury - apparently not a concern for those who want him, granted, he had a long string of seasons with no missed games. But, in his first 3 seasons starting, he only had 1 16 game season(hmmmm, yet the same thing for Jimmy and he's "injury prone").

in 2019 Stafford was 2nd worst in the league in "bad throw %" meaning % of throws that were off-target, he had the 2nd lowest drop%, he also had the 3rd worst on-target % only being better than Jameis Winston and Baker Mayfield in 2019.

Jimmy G had the 4th best on target %, 4th best bad throw%, and 3rd worst drop %. So, those of last year who were complaining about an inordinate amount of drops who were rebuffed with, 'every team has drops', there were only 2 teams that dropped passes at a higher rate. If he has the same drop % as Stafford, he throws for 4,100 yards.

Granted, Stafford was throwing deep more cause their team sucked and they were behind a lot so that will affect the passing game - however you also can't penalize Jimmy for the opposite.

Okay, that makes sense. The problem Jimmy has is that he's injury prone so he's not as reliable and that is a problem if you're making 25+ million annually. He's a really good, but not great, player and it's what makes any decision about his future more difficult. The 49ers could roll the dice on a rookie QB but that's a big risk.

No easy decisions. If it was me, I'd keep Jimmy around and look to fill holes in the draft. Perhaps another flyer on a mid round quarterback prospect. Having said that, if Watson really is on the block I'm looking hard.
[ Edited by bzborow1 on Jan 13, 2021 at 8:00 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 52,666
I'm ok with going with James these next two years of his contract. Sign Williams, draft an Edge, CB or OL with the 12th pick. Use the rest of the draft for depth. We are loaded with a healthy Jimmy and a healthy roster coming back. We should be back to challenging for the Western Division title.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 13, 2021 at 8:08 PM ]
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
I'm going through the advanced passing stats from 2019 - really interesting and also very interesting considering all the Stafford>Jimmy talk.

Stafford missed 8 games in 2019 to injury - apparently not a concern for those who want him, granted, he had a long string of seasons with no missed games. But, in his first 3 seasons starting, he only had 1 16 game season(hmmmm, yet the same thing for Jimmy and he's "injury prone").

in 2019 Stafford was 2nd worst in the league in "bad throw %" meaning % of throws that were off-target, he had the 2nd lowest drop%, he also had the 3rd worst on-target % only being better than Jameis Winston and Baker Mayfield in 2019.

Jimmy G had the 4th best on target %, 4th best bad throw%, and 3rd worst drop %. So, those of last year who were complaining about an inordinate amount of drops who were rebuffed with, 'every team has drops', there were only 2 teams that dropped passes at a higher rate. If he has the same drop % as Stafford, he throws for 4,100 yards.

Granted, Stafford was throwing deep more cause their team sucked and they were behind a lot so that will affect the passing game - however you also can't penalize Jimmy for the opposite.

Okay, that makes sense. The problem Jimmy has is that he's injury prone so he's not as reliable and that is a problem if you're making 25+ million annually. He's a really good, but not great, player and it's what makes any decision about his future more difficult. The 49ers could roll the dice on a rookie QB but that's a big risk.

No easy decisions. If it was me, I'd keep Jimmy around and look to fill holes in the draft. Perhaps another flyer on a mid round quarterback prospect. Having said that, if Watson really is on the block I'm looking hard.

Nice analysis Johnny I concur. I've been saying this forever and people are still clamoring that this move would be an upgrade. Yeah Stafford has a better arm but we also have to consider he has always had excellent wrs. Just recently even Golladay and Jones are a sick combo. Their OL has improved with an all pro center and their rbs aren't bad at all.

Yet people want to ditch Jimmy G so quickly. I would take Stafford barely over Jimmy G but at what cost? A few second rounders? Also, I'm not sure this lateral move (or for argument sake a slight improvement) would send a good message to the team especially since so many players believe in him and his abilities. Most importantly to get back to a SB and win it which I feel he can health permitting.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
we get watson yet?
If JL can work it out without mortgaging the farm. I've seen talking heads say it would take 4 1st's at least and no way do I think he's worth that due to the fact we would handcuff the team for the 4-5 years without a round 1 pick during that time. In addition you gotta pay DW at least 39 mil a year which won't help in the quest to sign future contracts they want to extend, Williams,Bosa,Warner etc.

It may or may not be true but it's reported DW wants to go to Miami (go figure but maybe because of all the picks and weapons they have + speculation* no state taxes on income)
[ Edited by NC49er on Jan 13, 2021 at 8:22 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 52,666
Originally posted by NC49er:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
we get watson yet?
If JL can work it out without mortgaging the farm. I've seen talking heads say it would take 4 1st's at least and no way do I think he's worth that due to the fact we would handcuff the team for the 4-5 years without a round 1 pick during that time. In addition you gotta pay DW at least 39 mil a year which won't help in the quest to sign future contracts they want to extend, Williams,Bosa,Warner etc.

It may or may not be true but it's reported DW wants to go to Miami (go figure but maybe because of all the picks and weapons they have + speculation* no state taxes on income)

Forget about it - we can win with Jimmy. Just shore up the OL, DL and secondary and we should be alright.
Originally posted by NC49er:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
we get watson yet?
If JL can work it out without mortgaging the farm. I've seen talking heads say it would take 4 1st's at least and no way do I think he's worth that due to the fact we would handcuff the team for the 4-5 years without a round 1 pick during that time. In addition you gotta pay DW at least 39 mil a year which won't help in the quest to sign future contracts they want to extend, Williams,Bosa,Warner etc.

It may or may not be true but it's reported DW wants to go to Miami (go figure but maybe because of all the picks and weapons they have + speculation* no state taxes on income)

4 1s is stretching it but look at it this way, the last time the rams drafted in the first was 2016 when they picked Goff. They've been to the playoffs three times and to the sb once since then. Is that terrible?

The Seahawks constantly blow their first round picks but because they have a franchise QB they're constantly competing for playoff spots.

I like Jimmy but I'd gladly take Watson over Jimmy and the picks.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 18,387
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Originally posted by NC49er:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
we get watson yet?
If JL can work it out without mortgaging the farm. I've seen talking heads say it would take 4 1st's at least and no way do I think he's worth that due to the fact we would handcuff the team for the 4-5 years without a round 1 pick during that time. In addition you gotta pay DW at least 39 mil a year which won't help in the quest to sign future contracts they want to extend, Williams,Bosa,Warner etc.

It may or may not be true but it's reported DW wants to go to Miami (go figure but maybe because of all the picks and weapons they have + speculation* no state taxes on income)

4 1s is stretching it but look at it this way, the last time the rams drafted in the first was 2016 when they picked Goff. They've been to the playoffs three times and to the sb once since then. Is that terrible?

The Seahawks constantly blow their first round picks but because they have a franchise QB they're constantly competing for playoff spots.

I like Jimmy but I'd gladly take Watson over Jimmy and the picks.

Disagree. We are one year removed from a super bowl run. I think if we had no major injuries this year - we'd have made the playoffs. Also in another thread, one of the Webzoners posted a stat that the super bowl teams lose about 30% of their players in the next year - and while we did lose Buckner and Sanders, I don't think we lost any more major contributors and that (I think) is due to the injuries. (Ford, Richburg etc...) So, in a sense, while the 2020 season sucked, it actually will benefit us in this next year because now we can probably re-sign a lot of the players we'd have lost this year because of cap and free agency. So I think this is the year to keep a super bowl appearing QB (Jimmy) get more depth to surround him and maybe bolster the defense to make up for a loss of Ford's services (he's constantly injured). I don't think this is the time to gamble on a QB that is going to be brand new to Kyles offense (it takes a while to pick up) and blow a ton of cap and draft capital on him. That will seriously hamper the development of the team in years to come.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Forget about it - we can win with Jimmy. Just shore up the OL, DL and secondary and we should be alright.
Honestly i think the same.
thing is the health issue

How many games has he missed ?? since the 49ers got him
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 52,666
Originally posted by sanjo49er:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Forget about it - we can win with Jimmy. Just shore up the OL, DL and secondary and we should be alright.
Honestly i think the same.
thing is the health issue

How many games has he missed ?? since the 49ers got him

2018 - 13 games missed
2020 - 10 games missed
[ Edited by mayo49 on Jan 13, 2021 at 9:04 PM ]
I want jimmy back unless we can get watson or zach wilson. We can win with jimmy. We can fix the damn oline, get another edge, and shore up other holes. Anyone wanting to trade for darnold is dead to me. We can't be friends. The players love Jimmy and play hard for him. Why would we trade a winner for the very definition of loser in darnold?

  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 52,666
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
I want jimmy back unless we can get watson or zach wilson. We can win with jimmy. We can fix the damn oline, get another edge, and shore up other holes. Anyone wanting to trade for darnold is dead to me. We can't be friends. The players love Jimmy and play hard for him. Why would we trade a winner for the very definition of loser in darnold?

Getting Watson or Wilson would be a game changer. But, the price I believe would be too steep. Let's just go with Jimmy - the guys like him and play hard for him. We can contend with Jimmy and a healthy supporting cast. No reason why we can't contend right away for the division and the conference.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
I want jimmy back unless we can get watson or zach wilson. We can win with jimmy. We can fix the damn oline, get another edge, and shore up other holes. Anyone wanting to trade for darnold is dead to me. We can't be friends. The players love Jimmy and play hard for him. Why would we trade a winner for the very definition of loser in darnold?

Getting Watson or Wilson would be a game changer. But, the price I believe would be too steep. Let's just go with Jimmy - the guys like him and play hard for him. We can contend with Jimmy and a healthy supporting cast. No reason why we can't contend right away for the division and the conference.

Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
I want jimmy back unless we can get watson or zach wilson. We can win with jimmy. We can fix the damn oline, get another edge, and shore up other holes. Anyone wanting to trade for darnold is dead to me. We can't be friends. The players love Jimmy and play hard for him. Why would we trade a winner for the very definition of loser in darnold?

Getting Watson or Wilson would be a game changer. But, the price I believe would be too steep. Let's just go with Jimmy - the guys like him and play hard for him. We can contend with Jimmy and a healthy supporting cast. No reason why we can't contend right away for the division and the conference.

This team would undoubtedly be a SB contender for years with Watson. Not many guys can do the things he did with so little to work with. If they decide to keep Jimmy, I hope they double down on the decision and build a top 5 OL to protect him. Jimmy's not a world beater(and he doesn't need to be for this scheme), but he gets the job done when healthy and clean.
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,315
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by JimA49ers:
Originally posted by JMC52:
Watson is so intriguing but losing 3 firsts and a few 2nds isn't

yeah,,,,if it works out, it could be good, but no guarantee. If it doesn't work out,,,,,they are screwed for years.

Breaking: A 25-year-old top 5 QB costs a lot.

A package for him is going to take multiple 1sts and other picks, plus a player like Deebo Samuel. That's just how it goes.

Not breaking anything buddy, we alll know it's expensive but 3 first and a few 2nd plus Debo, I'd rather try and draft a young QB on a rookie contract
Originally posted by mayo49:
2018 - 13 games missed
2020 - 10 games missed

good lord
Share 49erswebzone