LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 151 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
We just beat the rams with Nick has QB. We had our chances to beat the saints too with Nick also has QB. Do you see the point I'm getting at? Even with below average QB play this team Is competitive. Talented team with great coaching. All we need Is QB who can make the basic throws and we'll win plenty of games. That's where "Mr Inconsistency" comes In. Jimmy Is superior to Nick and that's all that Is needed at this point.
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
If the niners beat Buffalo and Washington, and if Jimmy gets healthy, he starts against Dallas. He gives a better chance to beat Arizona and Seattle than Nick Mullens.

without question. He's by far the best QB on the roster.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
who f**king cares about all of those? was like top 5 in 3rd down conversions. which outweigh any of those stats besides INT's. we never had that with Alex. moving the chains consistently was something we had with Jimmy we hadn't had with any other QB in a long ass time.

If you actually understand the data it backs up a lot of what some of us have been saying.

Yes top 5 in 3rd down conversions, these stats directly tie into 3rd downs....

ALEX: Air Less EXpected. ALEX measures the average difference between how far a quarterback threw a pass (air yards) and how many yards he needed for a first down. If a quarterback throws a pass 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage on third-and-15, that would be minus-20 ALEX. The best application of ALEX is to look at third and fourth down when it's really crucial to get 100 percent of the need yards to extend the drive. A high ALEX would be indicative of a quarterback who aggressively attacks the sticks, while a low ALEX is indicative of a conservative quarterback more likely to check down and/or rely on YAC. Yes, the name is inspired by Alex Smith, who frequently has one of the lowest ALEX averages in the league.

He was 6th worst in the league in ALEX according to Football Outsiders, right next to Haskins.

Air Yards to the Sticks (AYTS)Air Yards to the Sticks shows the amount of Air Yards ahead or behind the first down marker on all attempts for a passer. The metric indicates if the passer is attempting his passes past the 1st down marker, or if he is relying on his skill position players to make yards after catch.

2nd worst in the league last yr in AYTS...So he basically relied on his skilled playmakers to get 3rd down conversions. Why does he get all the credit for that? It's why air yards is an important stat. It's not just about throwing deep balls all game. It's about actually throwing the ball forward consistently lol. It's the difference between a game manger type and guys who play are the next level.

context dude.

This is a serious reach...

So now we want to pretend he wasn't great on 3rd down because his guys were able to get YAC to pick up a bunch of them? We still playing in a version of the WCO offense right?

Wonder where Joe would rank in ALEX...analytics geeks are the worst.

People want to dig at Jimmy because he's playing in Kyle's offense and he makes things so easy for QBs. Yet when he plays within the offense and uses the talent we have it's a knock on him despite the consistent production?

We have a roster built for YAC but the expectation is for Jimmy to let it rip? On 3rd down you're either throwing to the sticks, beyond them or before and hope the guys pick up the yards needed to move the chains.

Listing ALEX and acting like all the work was by his receivers is weak sauce. There were plenty of plays where Jimmy threw darts to keep the chains moving. And yeah there were plenty where our guys had to get the extra yards to move the chains. The offense is definitely not designed to go beyond the yard marker and it's not smart football to throw well beyond the yard marker as it's likely to lower your results of actually moving the ball.

And you don't know why a QB should get credit for making those throws? It's not like they were all WR screens or throw behind the LOS. Jimmy made some great throws within the offense. That's why Kyle is here.

If it was so easy why wasn't everyone else having the same success? I mean Ryan Fitzpatrick was right up there with his ALEX rating. Let's get him as our franchise QB? He'll cost much less than Jimmy right?

And just an example...

Josh Allen who I think we can all agree can make any throw he wants. Last year his ALEX grade was 3.4, this year it's 0.3....do you want the Josh Allen from last year or this year?

And yet his ALEX number is much lower this year when he's playing MUCH better than last year?
[ Edited by genus49 on Dec 1, 2020 at 1:24 PM ]
yeah and none of that necessarily equates to him being "figured out". you also remember during that game or receivers drop like 5+ balls? or the ball that came off Bournes hands tipped and picked off? again, it doesn't come off as being figured out to me as much as it does Jimmy just not upping his play and going through the motions and improving with experience, lol

I remember Dante dropping one, that was on Dante no doubt. And I remember the high pass to Bourne that he tipped into the defensive players hands. That one was on Jimmy. Let's not forget Jimmy fumbling the ball like always. He's a turnover machine right now. I think he's averaging one Int per game throughout his career.
you literally nit-pick 1 game where the offense as a WHOLE had 5 turnovers for the day last year vs Pitt. but this was something we had with Jimmy in 2017, and carried over to 2019. he was consistently clutch for a good stretch for a while.

I don't think he sucks at all...I think he's an avg QB that plays well with a good roster around him. I think SF can do better that's all.

i know. you've said this 100,000,000 times.

What about that the LA game? How many TOs did he have 2 or 3?

I want to make sure you know I don't hate him lol

you do realize that not every fourth quarter comeback was a result of Jimmy's turnovers right? there's also an offense playing against our defense trying to score, and offenses did have their way with our defense too.

hats off to Ramsay for that pick in that game. hats off to Goff got throwing an even more horrendous pick to Warner.

hats off for Jimmy completing what, another example of TWO 3rd and 16's in a row that required him to throw the ball more than 10 yards that you try to downplay with your ALEX stat.

I know you don't hate jimmy, but you miss a lot of his context on 3rd downs and s**t as well where it was all him too lol
lol okay LightsOut85

https://www.footballperspective.com/jimmy-garoppolo-and-third-down-performance/

can think of a ton of crucial times he moved the chains by hitting his guy right at the sticks or past it.

but doesn't matter, we converted more 3rd downs with him at QB as an offense better than we had in over a decade time and time again.

I have no clue who you're talking about with the lightout85 thing. Don't be weird.

I'm glad you can think of some times when he moved the chains, I can as well. OVERALL compared to the rest of the league he was bottom of the barrel in AYTS and ALEX score.

Saying he was top 5 in 3rd down conversions is disingenuous, unless you also say that our playmakers played a MASSIVE part in that happening. Which film and a f**k ton of analytical data backs up.

Or Jimmy had a MASSIVE part in that happening as well lol. was he not known for that in 2017 as well? this is not one of the reasons we all fell in love with the guy for a short period

God it was so refreshing to have confidence in third and longs again.

I actually think it had more to do with the fact that he was much more willing than previous quarterbacks to make attempts throwing the ball into tighter windows.

perhaps that's what stood out to me (or us) the most?

either way, comparatively, you could say that the reason he was also top five was because of more attempts or his willingness vs what we've had for the past decade
lol okay LightsOut85

https://www.footballperspective.com/jimmy-garoppolo-and-third-down-performance/

can think of a ton of crucial times he moved the chains by hitting his guy right at the sticks or past it.

but doesn't matter, we converted more 3rd downs with him at QB as an offense better than we had in over a decade time and time again.

I have no clue who you're talking about with the lightout85 thing. Don't be weird.

I'm glad you can think of some times when he moved the chains, I can as well. OVERALL compared to the rest of the league he was bottom of the barrel in AYTS and ALEX score.

Saying he was top 5 in 3rd down conversions is disingenuous, unless you also say that our playmakers played a MASSIVE part in that happening. Which film and a f**k ton of analytical data backs up.

also dude look at the comment section of that article.

that guy's name is similar to yours and he's talking about nothing but ALEX haha
Originally posted by Sickaa:
yeah and none of that necessarily equates to him being "figured out". you also remember during that game or receivers drop like 5+ balls? or the ball that came off Bournes hands tipped and picked off? again, it doesn't come off as being figured out to me as much as it does Jimmy just not upping his play and going through the motions and improving with experience, lol

I remember Dante dropping one, that was on Dante no doubt. And I remember the high pass to Bourne that he tipped into the defensive players hands. That one was on Jimmy. Let's not forget Jimmy fumbling the ball like always. He's a turnover machine right now. I think he's averaging one Int per game throughout his career.

It was catchable. it should've been caught. that's on bourne, as was shown on the expression of his face.

in fact he had two huge drops that game one of them being a pick.

guess who also fumbled for a touchdown as well? russell wilson. the point is the defense makes plays too.

didn't know Jimmy was a fumbling machine, new to me. lol

It was catchable. it should've been caught. that's on bourne, as was shown on the expression of his face.

guess who also fumbled for a touchdown as well? russell wilson. the point is the defense makes plays too.

I said he was a turnover machine lol. Not a fumbling machine, even though he had something like 5 of those too last season as well. And every receiver believes they should catch the ball smh lol the pass was way off the mark. Don't act like Jimmy doesn't have Issues with his accuracy.

I said he was a turnover machine lol. Not a fumbling machine, even though he had something like 5 of those too last season as well. And every receiver believes they should catch the ball smh lol the pass was way off the mark. Don't act like Jimmy doesn't have Issues with his accuracy.

"fumbling the ball like always"

doesn't matter, but it's essentially the same thing.

Jimmy has been inconsistent with his accuracy, but again that example? was right on bourne's hands. like it's a total stretch to say that's all on Jimmy lol. go back and rewatch highlights.

"fumbling the ball like always"

doesn't matter, but it's essentially the same thing.

Jimmy has been inconsistent with his accuracy, but again that example? was right on bourne's hands. like it's a total stretch to say that's all on Jimmy lol. go back and rewatch highlights.

I supposed It was Kittles fault he got himself Injured against the cards too? He should have caught that high pass and made the defender miss lol. The fact Jimmy has thrown an Int In most of his games since becoming a niner shows that he's nothing special.
Originally posted by Goatie:
There is always the passive aggressive BUT in all of your posts. What follows is always the negative take in your speculations. Why don't you go back and support the Patriots. I know you came to this page soon after JG did. Is it because you were pissed the Pats lost him and wanted to come here to vent your frustrations and run everything Jimmy G into the ground? I bet it is.

I lived in the Bay Area since 1947. I've been a Niners fan since 1954 and probably have been to way more games than you. Where do you get off saying I should go back to NE? Just because I don't think he's the greatest QB to ever walk the earth? I said in that post that he's the best we have but if you look at the scores in their games. the difference between Jimmy and Nick isn't huge. JG isn't a game changer and Mullens isn't totally helpless.

I just don't see any point in bringing him back this season when the team isn't really a SB contender. There's nothing that he can or will do that we haven't seen. It will be the same offense we saw before he was hurt and since Nick took over. He's not going to turn into bombs away Jimmy. If he comes back and gets hurt again of suffers something more severe the fans will be ripping Kyle for letting him play just like they did when he came back from the ankle sprain.

I'm sorry if you can't take negative comments about St. Jimmy but the truth hurts.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
you say context.. but those stats still don't explain how he converted so many 3rd downs or win so many games. was just dumb luck.. was it just horrible tackling for 19 games in a row or was he finding the open guy to get the first down. what about first and 2nd down throws.. are those all behind the LOS also.

if Jimmy wore a head band saying I throw deep all game.. i'm sure you would all over him

Ahhh it absolutely explains it, if you read the description of what the stats mean.

Basically our playmakers made a ton of plays with the ball in their hands. Kittle/Deebo were two of the highest YAC receivers in football last yr, just about every catch Bourne made went for a 1st down. I mean are we gonna pretend like that wasn't a thing last yr lol?

That's what it's disingenuous to say he was top 5 in 3rd conversions without saying the skilled position players played a massive part in that. Not Jimmy's fault he was just running the plays.

Winning games is a team stat. Not sure how many times that needs to be said

Show me some stats on his 1st/2nd down throws? I know they ran the ball pretty well, setting up easy completions on 3rd down. Again not Jimmy's fault.

Finally, how dare I like a qb prospect that throws the ball more than 5 feet downfield lol. How dare I like someone that has good pocket feel, throws with anticipation and has great accuracy
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
What about 2019? JG had a good year.
5th in TDs, 8th in passer rating, 3rd in yards per attempt...

-Near the bottom of the league football ALEX score
-2nd worst in the league in air yards to the sticks
-worst in the league in avg air yard differential
-3rd worst in avg intended air yards

and with all that he was 8th worst in INT% which means he threw the ball shorter than just about any QB in the league and yet threw INTs at one of the highest %

LOL at ALEX scores and other meaningless stats that do not translate to winning.

Well no. But they do translate to him not throwing the ball very far, given all the money he's due to make.
Ahhh it absolutely explains it, if you read the description of what the stats mean.

Basically our playmakers made a ton of plays with the ball in their hands. Kittle/Deebo were two of the highest YAC receivers in football last yr, just about every catch Bourne made went for a 1st down. I mean are we gonna pretend like that wasn't a thing last yr lol?

That's what it's disingenuous to say he was top 5 in 3rd conversions without saying the skilled position players played a massive part in that. Not Jimmy's fault he was just running the plays.

Winning games is a team stat. Not sure how many times that needs to be said

Show me some stats on his 1st/2nd down throws? I know they ran the ball pretty well, setting up easy completions on 3rd down. Again not Jimmy's fault.

Finally, how dare I like a qb prospect that throws the ball more than 5 feet downfield lol. How dare I like someone that has good pocket feel, throws with anticipation and has great accuracy

Apparently criticizing Jimmy and wanting someone better isn't allowed anymore. I wish I could do nothing but praise him but my eyes say I can't.
Share 49ersWebzone