There are 181 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
KS just said hopeful to have JG back for last 2 games

Real question is will we still have a chance at playoffs by then?
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
KS just said hopeful to have JG back for last 2 games

Real question is will we still have a chance at playoffs by then?

I think if we still have a chance then Jimmy will be back. If we are eliminated he isn't. But if we win all but our game Vs the Hawks we are almost a lock for a wildcard spot. Which is f**king crazy.
Originally posted by Joecool:
We need a more athletic backup. For me, the odd one out would be CJ only because Mullens brings a mentality that's needed whereas Beathard seems more passive.

CJ is the most "mobile" of the bunch (which isn't saying much). His internal clock is horrendous. Dude takes to long to process everything.

Mullens just isn't talented enough and once his first read is toast he's a mess too.

No matter what happens with Jimmy there should be a new QB in the building next yr.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
We need a more athletic backup. For me, the odd one out would be CJ only because Mullens brings a mentality that's needed whereas Beathard seems more passive.

CJ is the most "mobile" of the bunch (which isn't saying much). His internal clock is horrendous. Dude takes to long to process everything.

Mullens just isn't talented enough and once his first read is toast he's a mess too.

No matter what happens with Jimmy there should be a new QB in the building next yr.

Fingers crossed. I do question the coaching staff and front office about why they are so stubborn about moving on from a player. But this year it seems like Kyle is done playing those f**king games (Pettis, Ahkello)
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by RasSuar:
You could say Kyle took a very meh QB and made him look better with short passing and a strong running game that protected and hid his weaknesses.

You could say that, but it would be dead wrong. If it were so easy to take a meh QB and pump them up in this offense with this line then Mullens would be lighting s**t up. But, alas, he did not.

Where's the, "Did we just become best friends? Yup!" meme?

You could say that Garoppolo looked incredible, when he was playing naturally, with more confidence, and literally NO talent around him in 2017.

You could say that Shanahan actually continued to make him look worse, question his own ability, and broke him by overloading him with a playbook and a coaching ego that eradicated what made Garoppolo look so damn good...playing loose and getting a feel for the game.

Shanahan can scheme guys open but I can't seem to see where he's made a QB look better and truly groomed them and built them up vs almost getting in a pissing contest with them that shatters their confidence.
He's made 90% of the QBs he coached a lot better

Who?

He hasn't done anything with any QB here except garoppolo, including a guy like Beathard who he took in the third friggin round.
Who?.. Do you not know Shanny before he was our HC ? Shanny has done a lot for the 49ers if you haven't noticed.

Every QB is a crapshoot, the odds get worse after the first round. Sorry you expected Beathard to be a HOF'r

You never answered my question about which QBs he specifically groomed and made better. And don't say Kirk cousins, he sucks.
I just told you. Every starting QB that he has ever coached.

As for Cousins, well guess who made his name known and why does he suck now ?

I don't understand why you refuse to name the QB's and Cousins has always sucked. He's put up stats but has consistently been a loser, whether he's had talent around him or not.

Matt Schaub and Sage Rosenfels?
Donovan Mcnabb, RGIII, and Kirk cousins in Washington?
Brian Hoyer in Cleveland...who stunk there and then was proceeded to be brought in to start for SF?
Matt Ryan...was already a top QB and pro bowler before Shanahan's arrival

I'm not completely taking away Shanhan's QB acumen, but I don't see him as someone who grooms a QB and develops them into a better player. I see him as being able to scheme to help those QBs and compensate for their shortcomings, while designing plays that play to their strengths, but not necessarily having the coaching ability to help them improve on their shortcomings.

It's all about his offense and his scheme. That's fine. But the search for his perfect QB is going to be a futile one. And the amount of pressure he puts on these QBs doesn't seem to galvanize them, it seems to weigh them down.

I would have loved to have seen him improve on what Garoppolo lacks vs just compensating for it and handcuffing him where he can. That's all.
I don't need to name any QB as i said every Starting QB. if you don't know where or who he coached then this convo is pointless, but glad you finally looked at the data. What you missed from those QBs listed. Every QB had thier best years under Kyle, including Matt Ryan. Cousins has always sucked? you don't get franchised taged, then be the top free agent and be the first to get a fully guaranteed contract for sucking. But today's Cousins without Kyle is what you really get. With all the injuries this year we will never know what Jimmy could have done.

but the reality is It's not all on Kyle, the QB needs to step up also.

QB play is 100% on Kyle.

I will point out that Hoyer had his best year under O'Brien in Houston.
Originally posted by genus49:
lol not being stubborn you brought up the whole rookie contract thing like it was the secret sauce to SB wins.

I just pointed out that's not the case or you'd see a lot more young QBs winning SBs.

Out of the last 10 years only 3 guys fit the bill of what you describe and two of them are arguably the two best QBs playing the game right now. So was it their small contract that was the formula or was it their ability? Mahomes it was certainly his ability. Wilson is a toss up. The SB they won his defense outscored Denver but if I recall correctly it was also before their key guys got paid big time.

I understand your point. If we can find a young QB who is better than Jimmy it would be terrific. We know we have some heavy hitters who will need to get paid and we have guys we have to retain or wait out some of these bad contracts while trying to stay afloat. A good QB on a rookie deal would certainly do that.

But my point the whole time has been be careful what you wish for. No guarantee the young guy ends up being better than Jimmy. I understand you want to get rid of Jimmy's contract because you think he's not playing up to it but going to an unknown doesn't always guarantee the success KC or Seattle saw.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens and hope whatever move the 49ers make will not haunt us.

It's not a secret and it's been talked about in here well before this yr...we laughed at LA when they gave Goff a mountain of cash and now have to work with less talent after this yr...we laughed at Seattle giving Wilson a truck load of cash knowing they would have lesser talent around him....only difference with Wilson is he actually elevates that team around him. So much so that they're guaranteed 10 wins a yr, basically because of him...if you're gonna pay a QB top money then that's what you want. You should feel confident knowing your QB can make a worse roster a lot better, if not then why pay him?

s**t look at Wentz now.

IMO it's all about winning games and getting to the playoffs...after that you're playing with house money. The best teams don't always make it to the SB let alone win it. You know this. Ball bounces one way, bad call by the ref, muffed punt and you're standing there with you pants around your ankles...even if you have the better QB/team.

I'd much rather go the route of a young QB and be able to reset the cap for the next 5 or so yrs...give me a great roster to allow him to develop. We already have the coaching staff. Staying the course with Jimmy and no cap space and hop to have a top end roster is a move for me....if you think JG can make everyone better around him like Wilson then so be it, I'll disagree with that.

We will see!
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 1, 2020 at 10:50 AM ]
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
You could say Kyle took a very meh QB and made him look better with short passing and a strong running game that protected and hid his weaknesses.

You could say that, but it would be dead wrong. If it were so easy to take a meh QB and pump them up in this offense with this line then Mullens would be lighting s**t up. But, alas, he did not.

You could say that Garoppolo looked incredible, when he was playing naturally, with more confidence, and literally NO talent around him in 2017.

You could say that Shanahan actually continued to make him look worse, question his own ability, and broke him by overloading him with a playbook and a coaching ego that eradicated what made Garoppolo look so damn good...playing loose and getting a feel for the game.

Shanahan can scheme guys open but I can't seem to see where he's made a QB look better and truly groomed them and built them up vs almost getting in a pissing contest with them that shatters their confidence.

Who?

He hasn't done anything with any QB here except garoppolo, including a guy like Beathard who he took in the third friggin round.
Who?.. Do you not know Shanny before he was our HC ? Shanny has done a lot for the 49ers if you haven't noticed.

Every QB is a crapshoot, the odds get worse after the first round. Sorry you expected Beathard to be a HOF'r

You never answered my question about which QBs he specifically groomed and made better. And don't say Kirk cousins, he sucks.

I don't understand why you refuse to name the QB's and Cousins has always sucked. He's put up stats but has consistently been a loser, whether he's had talent around him or not.

Brian Hoyer in Cleveland...who stunk there and then was proceeded to be brought in to start for SF?

I'm not completely taking away Shanhan's QB acumen, but I don't see him as someone who grooms a QB and develops them into a better player. I see him as being able to scheme to help those QBs and compensate for their shortcomings, while designing plays that play to their strengths, but not necessarily having the coaching ability to help them improve on their shortcomings.

It's all about his offense and his scheme. That's fine. But the search for his perfect QB is going to be a futile one. And the amount of pressure he puts on these QBs doesn't seem to galvanize them, it seems to weigh them down.

I would have loved to have seen him improve on what Garoppolo lacks vs just compensating for it and handcuffing him where he can. That's all.
I don't need to name any QB as i said every Starting QB. if you don't know where or who he coached then this convo is pointless, but glad you finally looked at the data. What you missed from those QBs listed. Every QB had thier best years under Kyle, including Matt Ryan. Cousins has always sucked? you don't get franchised taged, then be the top free agent and be the first to get a fully guaranteed contract for sucking. But today's Cousins without Kyle is what you really get. With all the injuries this year we will never know what Jimmy could have done.

QB play is 100% on Kyle.

Kyle is not JG, or any QB. The QB still needs to execute.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

Who?

QB play is 100% on Kyle.

Kyle is not JG, or any QB. The QB still needs to execute.

You're failing to recognize that the core of what I'm saying is that Kyle doesn't seem to be very good at improving the QB's abilities or mechanics to help them better execute. Rather, I find he just adapts the scheme based on those. And yes, he does that better than anybody in the league.

My thinking though is that there needs to be someone else that helps develop these guys as players to go along with the playbook wizardry.
You're failing to recognize that the core of what I'm saying is that Kyle doesn't seem to be very good at improving the QB's abilities or mechanics to help them better execute. Rather, I find he just adapts the scheme based on those. And yes, he does that better than anybody in the league.

My thinking though is that there needs to be someone else that helps develop these guys as players to go along with the playbook wizardry.

Kyle's job isn't to improve a QBs mechanics & abilities (whatever that means)...That's on the pLayer and the position coach. The player needs to work on his craft and plenty of them do that during the off season with hired coaches and position gurus.

Kyle's job isn't to improve a QBs mechanics & abilities (whatever that means)...That's on the pLayer and the position coach. The player needs to work on his craft and plenty of them do that during the off season with hired coaches and position gurus.

I understand that but the HC/OC still is an overseer of this. Look at what Harbaugh did to help transform Alex Smith from a bum to a very competent QB. I'm not saying Harbaugh is better, just using it as an example.

Maybe it's more of a QB coaching issue then. I'm just saying it feels weird that Garoppolo looked his best when he was his rawest and first joined. He's never looked as sharp or confident since. The injury certainly is a prime culprit as well. Just hard to delineate where his lack of assurance/tentativeness is due to fear of getting hurt/hit or of having too many things to think about in terms of the play execution.

I understand that but the HC/OC still is an overseer of this. Look at what Harbaugh did to help transform Alex Smith from a bum to a very competent QB. I'm not saying Harbaugh is better, just using it as an example.

Maybe it's more of a QB coaching issue then. I'm just saying it feels weird that Garoppolo looked his best when he was his rawest and first joined. He's never looked as sharp or confident since. The injury certainly is a prime culprit as well. Just hard to delineate where his lack of assurance/tentativeness is due to fear of getting hurt/hit or of having too many things to think about in terms of the play execution.

That was a 5 game span in which the league has now Figured Jimmy out. Take away the short and Intermediate routes and Jimmy struggles.

Agree that CJ is more athletic but not to the point of being able to make a difference, which is why Mullens stays per his mentality.

However, both should be replaced by a high ceiling QB next year. Nick and CJ's ceiling is way too low.

Harbaugh said to take sacks instead of throwing INTs.. Smith is still the check down king and horrible on 3rd downs. Harbaugh can't even get a decent QB in Michigan.

You can have every HOF QB coaching up a QB, but that coaching isn't going to matter if the QB can't execute what needs to be done..
Originally posted by Milpitasbob:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
When is Jimmy coming back?

This week?

Week 15.

If they're the 7 seed by week 15 I'm not sure if I want Jimmy under center he might s**t the bed. Defense is getting healthy and Nick can move the offense. Stick with Nick

His ankle was a lot worse than Kyle thought it was. Kyle put him back too soon, which made Jimmy look even worse. He'll be fine just as long as he's 100% before he comes back.

It had to be bad before the 2nd injury based on how severe this one has been. I mean its going to be 7-8 weeks I think by the time he returns. Mullens is going to have to manage and Kyle is going to need to scheme up better blocking help, especially against WA.
Originally posted by Sickaa:

That was a 5 game span in which the league has now Figured Jimmy out. Take away the short and Intermediate routes and Jimmy struggles.

What about 2019? JG had a good year.
5th in TDs, 8th in passer rating, 3rd in yards per attempt...
Share 49ersWebzone