LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 246 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
So Kyle shouldn't expect an NFL QB to be able to handle his playbook? Kyle shouldnt expect a professional to be able to take constructive criticism? That's some Dante Pettis Ahkello Witherspoon energy right there.

HA
Originally posted by random49er:
I think he does make QBs appear better given the time. His scouting is in question though.

We're judging his "scouting" off of one draft when he had like 2 months to evaluate, get a coaching staff, get a FO/GM, and evaluate his own team All while knowing he had a great shot at getting Kirk (right or wrong).

That's a pretty small sample size imo.

FWIW I remember people questioning his WR scouting before Deebo/Aiuyk as well.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 1, 2020 at 5:28 AM ]
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I do agree with you in some of your points. He has points and counter-points in his post.

To play devil's advocate to your previous post, Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben, tannehill, brees, fitzmagic, Goff, Wilson etc etc are all QBs that appear to making to the postseason too.

And I also see the counter to your "if you're going to pay your QB a f**k ton of money...." quote. We didn't/aren't paying jimmy a f**k ton of money. We are paying him market value for a good QB at the time of his signing..... you know that 😂.

I actually tend to side with you in your assessment that we should draft one of the top 3 QBs (not fields) if FEASIBLE.

It may not be feasible

According to matt maiocco Jimmy G is making the second most actual cash next yr only behind Goff.

Brady/Rogers/Big Ben/Wilson etc are all most likely HOFers & elevate the team around them. I wouldn't say Jimmy/Tannehill/Goff do that.

Fitz magic is making $8M this yr and the Saints are winning without Brees. They're also gonna be like $70M over the cap next yr

I'll take a rookie and a stud roster with this coaching staff over Jimmy and a subpar roster....hey we will see. There's plenty of proof showing rookie contract QBs on a stacked roster is a legit way to have long-term success.

There's no proof, there's evidence. And for each piece of evidence in favor of your argument there's more than one piece of evidence against it.

Winston, Mariota, Haskins, etc etc.

We are saying the same thing, you are just a lot more absolute in your way ahead.

If we can feasibly get Wilson or lance I'm all for it. If we stay with jim because he won't take the trade or a pay adjustment.... It'll have to work and I won't be pissy so long as we have a good draft.

After what I saw yesterday, I'm a lot more optimistic than I was. A healthy 49ers team is a problem for anyone.

great post!
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Mahomes or Rogers
I like how you think!
Lol
Well damn all we gotta do is draft the next elite QB then..
EZ-PZ

Okay how about Watson, Herbert, Murray, Big Ben, Wilson, Allen, Brady, Dak etc...better QB play will without question help out PP. It will help the running game as well (which also helps PP).
There's no proof, there's evidence. And for each piece of evidence in favor of your argument there's more than one piece of evidence against it.

Winston, Mariota, Haskins, etc etc.

We are saying the same thing, you are just a lot more absolute in your way ahead.

If we can feasibly get Wilson or lance I'm all for it. If we stay with jim because he won't take the trade or a pay adjustment.... It'll have to work and I won't be pissy so long as we have a good draft.

After what I saw yesterday, I'm a lot more optimistic than I was. A healthy 49ers team is a problem for anyone.

Rookie QBs are dependent of good coaching and a good roster...obviously health matters (Marcus Mariota for example). Haskins had what a seasons worth of trash coaching and one of the worse rosters in football?

I never said anything was absolute....I'm saying there's more & more evidence of young QBs on rookie contracts being successful and allowing the team to have a quality roster.

Agreed

Thank you lol
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
Originally posted by Joecool:
When is Jimmy coming back?

This week?

Week 15.

If they're the 7 seed by week 15 I'm not sure if I want Jimmy under center he might s**t the bed. Defense is getting healthy and Nick can move the offense. Stick with Nick
Originally posted by Milpitasbob:
If they're the 7 seed by week 15 I'm not sure if I want Jimmy under center he might s**t the bed. Defense is getting healthy and Nick can move the offense. Stick with Nick

*sarcasm*

This week?

Week 15.

His ankle was a lot worse than Kyle thought it was. Kyle put him back too soon, which made Jimmy look even worse. He'll be fine just as long as he's 100% before he comes back.
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Oh I'm the king of acknowledging ALL of it. I've stated a million times unit pass protection is key and there are many variables that make it up. Unit pass protection is just not a high priority. Never was. And that remains today.

Changing a QB isn't going to change that UNLESS they finally approach team building it like they do with the DL...keep adding talent at all levels until the standard is met.

How is "unit pass protection" not a high priority? They spent a f**k ton of money on a FB, top 10 pick on a RT, traded for a top LT, traded for a former 1st rd OG, spent top money on a top 50 pick center...hell they run more 21personnel than anyone (extra blockers if need be).

Good QB play will absolutely help PP...not having our 4th string center and 3rd string RG will help PP. being able to run the ball will help PP.

You think if they stuck Mahomes or Rogers back there they'd get destroyed all game? f**k no. Mahomes doesn't have some all-star OL, especially in the interior.

Mahomes or Rogers
I like how you think!
Lol
Well damn all we gotta do is draft the next elite QB then..
EZ-PZ

Mahomes doesn't fit the system.
Originally posted by random49er:
I think he does make QBs appear better given the time. His scouting is in question though.

We're judging his "scouting" off of one draft when he had like 2 months to evaluate, get a coaching staff, get a FO/GM, and evaluate his own team All while knowing he had a great shot at getting Kirk (right or wrong).

That's a pretty small sample size imo.

FWIW I remember people questioning his WR scouting before Deebo/Aiuyk as well.

The sample size is four offseasons.

Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Mahomes doesn't fit the system.

[ Edited by NYniner85 on Dec 1, 2020 at 7:44 AM ]

This week?

Week 15.

His ankle was a lot worse than Kyle thought it was. Kyle put him back too soon, which made Jimmy look even worse. He'll be fine just as long as he's 100% before he comes back.
Come on no more excuses for Jimmy I don't care how handsome he is. It's like if he plays well he's healthy, if starts to poop the bed then he starts limping. I'm over him. Nick for this year and Zach for next.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
Originally posted by RasSuar:
You could say Kyle took a very meh QB and made him look better with short passing and a strong running game that protected and hid his weaknesses.

You could say that, but it would be dead wrong. If it were so easy to take a meh QB and pump them up in this offense with this line then Mullens would be lighting s**t up. But, alas, he did not.

Where's the, "Did we just become best friends? Yup!" meme?

You could say that Garoppolo looked incredible, when he was playing naturally, with more confidence, and literally NO talent around him in 2017.

You could say that Shanahan actually continued to make him look worse, question his own ability, and broke him by overloading him with a playbook and a coaching ego that eradicated what made Garoppolo look so damn good...playing loose and getting a feel for the game.

Shanahan can scheme guys open but I can't seem to see where he's made a QB look better and truly groomed them and built them up vs almost getting in a pissing contest with them that shatters their confidence.
He's made 90% of the QBs he coached a lot better

Who?

He hasn't done anything with any QB here except garoppolo, including a guy like Beathard who he took in the third friggin round.
Who?.. Do you not know Shanny before he was our HC ? Shanny has done a lot for the 49ers if you haven't noticed.

Every QB is a crapshoot, the odds get worse after the first round. Sorry you expected Beathard to be a HOF'r

You never answered my question about which QBs he specifically groomed and made better. And don't say Kirk cousins, he sucks.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Hurry back, Jimmy - we need you.
Originally posted by RasSuar:
You could say Kyle took a very meh QB and made him look better with short passing and a strong running game that protected and hid his weaknesses.

You could say that, but it would be dead wrong. If it were so easy to take a meh QB and pump them up in this offense with this line then Mullens would be lighting s**t up. But, alas, he did not.

Where's the, "Did we just become best friends? Yup!" meme?

You could say that Garoppolo looked incredible, when he was playing naturally, with more confidence, and literally NO talent around him in 2017.

You could say that Shanahan actually continued to make him look worse, question his own ability, and broke him by overloading him with a playbook and a coaching ego that eradicated what made Garoppolo look so damn good...playing loose and getting a feel for the game.

Shanahan can scheme guys open but I can't seem to see where he's made a QB look better and truly groomed them and built them up vs almost getting in a pissing contest with them that shatters their confidence.
He's made 90% of the QBs he coached a lot better

Who?

He hasn't done anything with any QB here except garoppolo, including a guy like Beathard who he took in the third friggin round.
Who?.. Do you not know Shanny before he was our HC ? Shanny has done a lot for the 49ers if you haven't noticed.

Every QB is a crapshoot, the odds get worse after the first round. Sorry you expected Beathard to be a HOF'r

You never answered my question about which QBs he specifically groomed and made better. And don't say Kirk cousins, he sucks.
I just told you. Every starting QB that he has ever coached.

As for Cousins, well guess who made his name known and why does he suck now ?
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Dec 1, 2020 at 8:22 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone