LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 250 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by genus49:
That seems like a stretch to act like the secret sauce is having a rookie QB on his first contract.

In the last 10 years the only teams who had a QB on his rookie contract who started in the SB for them were

Patrick Mahomes, Russell Wilson and Joe Flacco

I'd say two of those guys are elite level QBs so you can make an equal point saying find yourself an elite QB and you'll win SBs or play the 49ers in the SB with a rookie QB :(

Brady x 3 - not a rookie
Manning - his retirement season
Eli Manning - not a rookie
Aaron Rodgers - not a rookie
Brees - not a rookie

If you can find a QB like Mahomes or Wilson while having the elite level units both of those guys had around them while they were on those rookie contracts then yeah...that's fantastic.

But that's definitely a stretch that the contract is the key factor. It's only a factor if you have your key players up for contracts. For instance last year Jimmy's contract wasn't an issue because our key guys weren't up for new deals.

And once again the reason people aren't saying sign Garoppolo to long term deal is because he's been injured on his last deal more often than he's been healthy.

You forgot about Jared Goff. Toss in Carson Wentz/Foles. Newton got his big contract the same yr they went to the SB (cap hit wasn't big). Kap is another one.

Brady was also taking home town discounts to pay other dudes for yrs.

It's not a stretch at all....finding a good young QB on a rookie contract allows you to build around him and put a great roster around them to win now...Not sure how that's really that hard to get?

Half these rookie QBs that are picked high go to HORRIBLE rosters with horrible coaching staffs. Weird that they fail a lot.

Another reason people aren't asking for an extension is because he simply hasn't played to the overall level you want in a FQB.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
QB can help, yes. So does having good players on the OL.
I am not convinced a Shanahan picked rookie could do any better at making the line look decent than JG.

And I'm convinced Kyle took an meh QB, covered up his weaknesses, and made a trip to the Super Bowl with a stud roster around that QB.

too each their own.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
That seems like a stretch to act like the secret sauce is having a rookie QB on his first contract.

In the last 10 years the only teams who had a QB on his rookie contract who started in the SB for them were

Patrick Mahomes, Russell Wilson and Joe Flacco

I'd say two of those guys are elite level QBs so you can make an equal point saying find yourself an elite QB and you'll win SBs or play the 49ers in the SB with a rookie QB :(

Brady x 3 - not a rookie
Manning - his retirement season
Eli Manning - not a rookie
Aaron Rodgers - not a rookie
Brees - not a rookie

If you can find a QB like Mahomes or Wilson while having the elite level units both of those guys had around them while they were on those rookie contracts then yeah...that's fantastic.

But that's definitely a stretch that the contract is the key factor. It's only a factor if you have your key players up for contracts. For instance last year Jimmy's contract wasn't an issue because our key guys weren't up for new deals.

And once again the reason people aren't saying sign Garoppolo to long term deal is because he's been injured on his last deal more often than he's been healthy.

You forgot about Jared Goff. Toss in Carson Wentz/Foles. Newton got his big contract the same yr they went to the SB (cap hit wasn't big). Kap is another one.

Brady was also taking home town discounts to pay other dudes for yrs.

It's not a stretch at all....finding a good young QB on a rookie contract allows you to build around him and put a great roster around them to win now...Not sure how that's really that hard to get?

Half these rookie QBs that are picked high go to HORRIBLE rosters with horrible coaching staffs. Weird that they fail a lot.

Another reason people aren't asking for an extension is because he simply hasn't played to the overall level you want in a FQB.

Why would I forget Goff unless your goal is to lose a SB? We did that last year and you're looking to replace Jimmy.

Wentz wasn't the starting QB and Foles while cheap wasn't on his rookie deal. Are you going to say the way to win SBs is to find a cheap backup and rely on him in the playoffs?

It's a stretch man. Your ultimate point is to find a stud QB and hope your team is good enough when he's on his rookie deal because that gives you the best window to win multiple but out of all the guys who were on their rookie deals only 1 got back to the SB and none have won it more than once though of course Mahomes is likely on his way to doing it unless something breaks down but he's arguably the best QB in the game right now and has the contract extension of half a billion to show for it.

There have been multiple teams who have invested in QB early who had pretty good teams and they didn't get to the SB or won it. Flacco was the only one who wasn't an elite QB and it was in his 5th year that he went on that crazy tear in the playoffs.

You "simply" need a great QB and a good team around him. These guys can't win on their own and your team has to be pretty much perfect in all other aspects if your QB isn't better than average.

Garoppolo is better than average when healthy but he's certainly nowhere near Mahomes/Wilson levels. That's why I don't mind the idea of adding a guy who MAY be...but I am hesitant to just send Jimmy away without confirming the guy we get is the real deal.

Just thinking about some of these really good teams adding young QBs early

Denver - Paxton Lynch at one point dude was considered the top QB in that class. Denver adds him to a roster that just won the SB with the Corpse of Peyton Manning. Never sniff a SB. He's out of the league in 2 years.

Ravens - Lamar Jackson - this one is still pending and he looked unreal last season but they're falling off big time this year.

Houston - traded up for Deshaun Watson - made the playoffs but fell apart, granted due to some trash GMing

KC - obviously THE decision but once again we're talking about guy considered the best QB in the game so unless your point is "find the best QB in the game in the draft" then why even bring it up?

Can't find too many other examples outside of going back to Aaron Rodgers to the Packers and he didn't win the SB until he was on his 2nd contract with them.

So in summation obviously adding a great QB talent to your team, especially with talent already on the roster is likely to get you great results. But it's not always work out that way as the Paxton Lynch example clearly shows.

Lynch had all the things people are looking to replace Jimmy with - size, athletic ability, big arm, can make all the throws, mobile, great deep ball, throws well on the run.

How'd that work out for Denver?
Why would I forget Goff unless your goal is to lose a SB? We did that last year and you're looking to replace Jimmy.

Wentz wasn't the starting QB and Foles while cheap wasn't on his rookie deal. Are you going to say the way to win SBs is to find a cheap backup and rely on him in the playoffs?

It's a stretch man. Your ultimate point is to find a stud QB and hope your team is good enough when he's on his rookie deal because that gives you the best window to win multiple but out of all the guys who were on their rookie deals only 1 got back to the SB and none have won it more than once though of course Mahomes is likely on his way to doing it unless something breaks down but he's arguably the best QB in the game right now and has the contract extension of half a billion to show for it.

There have been multiple teams who have invested in QB early who had pretty good teams and they didn't get to the SB or won it. Flacco was the only one who wasn't an elite QB and it was in his 5th year that he went on that crazy tear in the playoffs.

You "simply" need a great QB and a good team around him. These guys can't win on their own and your team has to be pretty much perfect in all other aspects if your QB isn't better than average.

Garoppolo is better than average when healthy but he's certainly nowhere near Mahomes/Wilson levels. That's why I don't mind the idea of adding a guy who MAY be...but I am hesitant to just send Jimmy away without confirming the guy we get is the real deal.

Denver - Paxton Lynch at one point dude was considered the top QB in that class. Denver adds him to a roster that just won the SB with the Corpse of Peyton Manning. Never sniff a SB. He's out of the league in 2 years.

Ravens - Lamar Jackson - this one is still pending and he looked unreal last season but they're falling off big time this year.

Houston - traded up for Deshaun Watson - made the playoffs but fell apart, granted due to some trash GMing

KC - obviously THE decision but once again we're talking about guy considered the best QB in the game so unless your point is "find the best QB in the game in the draft" then why even bring it up?

Can't find too many other examples outside of going back to Aaron Rodgers to the Packers and he didn't win the SB until he was on his 2nd contract with them.

So in summation obviously adding a great QB talent to your team, especially with talent already on the roster is likely to get you great results. But it's not always work out that way as the Paxton Lynch example clearly shows.

Lynch had all the things people are looking to replace Jimmy with - size, athletic ability, big arm, can make all the throws, mobile, great deep ball, throws well on the run.

Originally posted by NCommand:
Like? And how far have they gone? Like we see with Seattle every single year, it usually catches up to you and you can only go so far.

Houston, Seattle, Ravens, Carolina, etc.

I agree the landscape is changing and we're going to see a few more this year: Bills, Miami, Cleveland and Arizona in the mix too.

Is this the formula for winning a Superbowl though? That's our goal.

You still have the traditional formulas still in the hunt: KC, Tampa Bay, New Orleans, SF, Rams, MN, WA, LV, TN, IND, Pitt, etc.

The formula for winning over the past couple yrs (outside of NE) has been having a young QB on a rookie contract and building around him. You also need a top end coaching staff.

Again plenty of QBs making plays week in week out without having elite lineman across the OL.

I'm not saying don't upgrade the OL... never have said that. I'm saying you don't have to spend a billion dollars on IOL help. You don't have burn a top 32 pick on guard. That's been my debate with you for yrs now.

If Jimmy is the long-term FQB like some in here are proclaiming. Sign him to an extension to lower the cap next yr. If he was the man, it would be a no brainer....a lot of push back on that scenario in here even among the Jimmy fans. If he's not the future then go get the guy you think WILL be....go sign a vet on the interior with that freed up cash. Resign the guys you want here long-term. Rookie QBs are doing their thing in the NFL now, especially with the right roster & coaching staff.

So none. Haha.

What you're referencing is a top tier QB on a rookie contract. Yes, plenty of QB's run around and make great plays and help mask pass protection issues. Sure. But none of them seem to be in a sustainable offense where even IF that QB is playing at an MVP level, they're going to a Superbowl.

Even Mahomes is a classic drop back QB who CAN use his legs ala Steve Young but primarily focuses on QBing within the confines of the system (only 200 yards rushing in 2019). He's a system QB that sat and learned the system behind a pro.

Obviously that would be awesome to find that, right out of the gate and dump Garoppolo's salary and invest in other areas of weakness. Zero issues with that. But it's gotta be a dynamic top tier skill set AND they still need to beef up the OL too or you're just going to ruin him too (IMHO).

But does that change the probability of winning a Superbowl any more than investing in a pass protection unit, adding health and running it back?

Tough call. I get it...
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 30, 2020 at 2:22 PM ]
Originally posted by RasSuar:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
He's better than Mullens but no way is he a top 10 QB. Maybe not even top 15 but comparing him to Mullens I can see how you could say that. problem is Mullens isn't even a top 32.

Definitely top 10 considering the deficiencies he's masked in our line for over two years. Lot's of people didn't see it at the time but he took a very meh pass pro line with a depleted and suspect interior to the SB.

Bless you.

And Kyle did a fantastic job of scheming to their only strength (run blocking), scheming around and away from the pass protection issues, maximizing their ability to find Arby's anywhere and use them all and going and getting a legit XWR to compliment Bourne and Deebo.

OMG Genus why are you trying so stubborn about this one?

Yes let's twist everything I said because you don't like it. This is a bad debate on your part dude.

Foles wasn't being paid top money, yet you don't want to bring that up. Wentz most certainly played that yr (first 13 weeks).

Dude P Lynch seriously? Everyone said he wasn't close to a NFL QB coming out of Memphis. Couldn't read a defense worth a s**t. Elway been s**tty at evaluating QBs. He couldn't even take a snap from under center. Now you're just cherry picking

I'm talking about a team being good! Making it to the playoffs...anything after that is gravy. The best QB/teams don't always end up in the SB (let alone win it all) you know this. Health, luck and just getting hot at the right time are big factors in winning it all.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-quarterback-contracts-qb-with-biggest-salary-cap-hit-has-had-zero-nfl-playoff-success-over-past-decade/

Go look at it currently man...Murray, Allen, jackson, mayfield etc are looking like some more QBs on rookie contracts that are heading towards the playoffs too.

Look if you're gonna pay the QB a f**k ton of money he better be damn good! Because there's only so much cash to go around...you think Jimmy is some amazing QB, I think he's a serviceable starter who's being paid too much cash when we need that cash to maintain the overall roster/upgrade.

I have faith in our coaching staff/scouts to find a good young QB....in a ideal world Jimmy would be that bridge QB. Pre-Covid that was probably a realistic scenario.

Too each their own man.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Nov 30, 2020 at 2:56 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
So none. Haha.

What you're referencing is a top tier QB on a rookie contract. Yes, plenty of QB's run around and make great plays and help mask pass protection issues. Sure. But none of them seem to be in a sustainable offense where even IF that QB is playing at an MVP level, they're going to a Superbowl.

Even Mahomes is a classic drop back QB who CAN use his legs ala Steve Young but primarily focuses on QBing within the confines of the system (only 200 yards rushing in 2019). He's a system QB that sat and learned the system behind a pro.

Obviously that would be awesome to find that, right out of the gate and dump Garoppolo's salary and invest in other areas of weakness. Zero issues with that. But it's gotta be a dynamic top tier skill set AND they still need to beef up the OL too or you're just going to ruin him too (IMHO).

But does that change the probability of winning a Superbowl any more than investing in a pass protection unit, adding health and running it back?

Tough call. I get it...

None what? I don't even know what you're asking me?
The Niners are in a really tough spot with JG. They probably aren't going to draft high enough to get one of the top 3 QBs. After that the odds of getting a winner start to drop. Jimmy's salary is a huge issue next year because of all the free agents we have. On top of that, he'll be coming back from a second serious injury in 3 years.

So the Niners are faced with signing a QB that is not as highly thought of as he was last year and hasn't shown he can stay healthy or going all in on a rookie. I suppose they could let Nick or CJ start the season if the rookie wasn't ready. I don't know that they can keep JG unless he agrees to a major cut in salary for next season. The only good thing about this situation is that they can part company without taking a big hit.
Originally posted by Niner4ever:
Where am I whining lol? Saying Mullens played awful is a observation and it was pretty obvious. Him being the starting QB wasn't the reason for that W IMO. Dude did more harm then good.

FWIW here's Beathard taking a 62 yard run to the house lol

Beathard blows, he's not immobile.
Are those first string defenses? Those two clips show he's probably lucky not mobile. Every time he's gotten the nod he's gotten blasted.

wait so moving around is luck now? It's not like he's running against the wind dude lol. I never said he was good, he processes everything entirely too slow that's why he gets smashed....he doesn't get rid of the ball fast enough. Doesn't mean he's immobile though.

He's immobile. Come on man that Giants roll out 100% of QBs do it going all the way back to flag football lol. And, yes the Chargers play is pure luck.

Anyway I'll ask you again since you might have missed it earlier. Are those first string defenses?
[ Edited by Niner4ever on Nov 30, 2020 at 3:38 PM ]

Originally posted by Niner4ever:
He's immobile. Come on man that Giants roll out 100% of QBs do it going all the way back to flag football lol. And, yes the Chargers play is pure luck.

Anyway I'll ask you again since you might have missed it earlier. Are those first string defenses?

Giants is mid season. Chargers preseason...it's the fact that he actually ran dude. He's not a statue who won't run on a RPO or scramble if he has too.

I think he ran for 500 yards in college with about 10 rushing TDs.

He holds onto the ball too long in the pocket because he can't process the field quick enough. That doesn't make him immobile, just a bad QB.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Nov 30, 2020 at 3:56 PM ]
Shanny will convince Andrew luck to come out of retirement.

This is the only post worth reading.
Originally posted by 5thSFG:

So you think QBs on rookie contracts can't play well around a top roster? There hasn't been a ton of examples of good teams with QBs on rookie contracts?
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Nov 30, 2020 at 4:00 PM ]
Originally posted by 5thSFG:

So you don't think QBs on rookie contracts can't play well around a top roster? There hasn't been a ton of examples?

I do agree with you in some of your points. He has points and counter-points in his post.

To play devil's advocate to your previous post, Brady, Rodgers, Big Ben, tannehill, brees, fitzmagic, Goff, Wilson etc etc are all QBs that appear to making to the postseason too.

And I also see the counter to your "if you're going to pay your QB a f**k ton of money...." quote. We didn't/aren't paying jimmy a f**k ton of money. We are paying him market value for a good QB at the time of his signing..... you know that 😂.

I actually tend to side with you in your assessment that we should draft one of the top 3 QBs (not fields) if FEASIBLE.

It may not be feasible
[ Edited by 5thSFG on Nov 30, 2020 at 4:06 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone