Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
I'm leaning towards having a rookie qb giving us cap space so we can resign key guys and sign a guy or 2 for depth or even a starting caliber oline man who won't break the bank. I think when healthy this squad is the class of the NFC and I don't see why a guy like Wilson or Lance couldn't do the things Jimmy did with Kyle making things easier for them until they grasp the system as they go. Plus those guys can stretch a d over the top, I don't know if it's ever been done but this roster is set up for a rookie qb to win a SB IF it's the right guy.

ROOKIE QB, you best target the guy you really want tho... if he's not there, then don't be forcing no CJ issue like !!

That's what I meant, for me it's either Wilson or Lance or nothing at all. I'm not settling with Jones or Trask, Lynch has to be aggressive in getting one of them

but the problem w/that is, we have a coach or even a GM (just like LOTS of fans here) that would not ROLL THE DICE and trade a bunch of picks in order to land a QB..

Making a big deal (trades), we've seen both sides of the coin... remember how Dallas built their team in the Hershel Walker trade.. and remember how the Rams couldn't build a winner after trading Eric Dickerson..

Drafting is all about getting lucky anyway.. if you want a certain player, heck, go get the guy.. KC did that w/Mahomes and no one is NOW saying that they gave up too much !!

IF Lynch is smart and like Lance, then trade up and give up picks or even player(s) because if this works out, you'd have your job forever... but if you try to be the cool team that sits and believe that a Joe or a Tom would find their way to the team, you may not be there to see that anyhow..

so, if the BENGALS somehow end up w/the 1st overall pick and want to trade it, I would offer multiple picks with Bosa or Kittle or Warner to complete it..

I will and find players like them again, but TREVOR, you'll have to wait for this kid name ARCH to see another GENERATIONAL PLAYER..
This isn't the 1st time you came up with the nonsense of trading either Bosa, Warner or Kittle. I'm not gonna argue it since it's beyond ridiculous

I'm leaning towards having a rookie qb giving us cap space so we can resign key guys and sign a guy or 2 for depth or even a starting caliber oline man who won't break the bank. I think when healthy this squad is the class of the NFC and I don't see why a guy like Wilson or Lance couldn't do the things Jimmy did with Kyle making things easier for them until they grasp the system as they go. Plus those guys can stretch a d over the top, I don't know if it's ever been done but this roster is set up for a rookie qb to win a SB IF it's the right guy.

ROOKIE QB, you best target the guy you really want tho... if he's not there, then don't be forcing no CJ issue like !!

That's what I meant, for me it's either Wilson or Lance or nothing at all. I'm not settling with Jones or Trask, Lynch has to be aggressive in getting one of them

but the problem w/that is, we have a coach or even a GM (just like LOTS of fans here) that would not ROLL THE DICE and trade a bunch of picks in order to land a QB..

Making a big deal (trades), we've seen both sides of the coin... remember how Dallas built their team in the Hershel Walker trade.. and remember how the Rams couldn't build a winner after trading Eric Dickerson..

Drafting is all about getting lucky anyway.. if you want a certain player, heck, go get the guy.. KC did that w/Mahomes and no one is NOW saying that they gave up too much !!

IF Lynch is smart and like Lance, then trade up and give up picks or even player(s) because if this works out, you'd have your job forever... but if you try to be the cool team that sits and believe that a Joe or a Tom would find their way to the team, you may not be there to see that anyhow..

so, if the BENGALS somehow end up w/the 1st overall pick and want to trade it, I would offer multiple picks with Bosa or Kittle or Warner to complete it..

I will and find players like them again, but TREVOR, you'll have to wait for this kid name ARCH to see another GENERATIONAL PLAYER..
This isn't the 1st time you came up with the nonsense of trading either Bosa, Warner or Kittle. I'm not gonna argue it since it's beyond ridiculous

YOU still don't get it... IF Cincy gets the 1st overall pick and is willing to trade to us at THAT cost, will you pull the trigger to land TREVOR !!??

It's a yes or no question to see how much you support the idea of GETTING THE QB THAT YOU WANT..

The fact he says it's a ridiculous trade tells you what the answer is.

And he's right, it's a ridiculous trade.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Meanwhile, Kyle is 5-23 in games Jimmy G doesn't start.

Better replace Jimmy.

So you're saying we should fire Kyle?

Not if he can get back to winning which I think he can as he had shown he can with Jimmy.

Why get rid of either?

So your saying we should keep Jimmy and Kyle and we will be a better team next year because of it?
in a perfect CAP world we might be.. but it's not so we need to make moves

Y'all need to stop worrying about the cap. I know that sounds head-in-the-sand, but there's no way the NFL is going to let the cap situation be as dismal as it's looking next year. These are ultra-rich owners. I'm pretty sure they're going to be willing to up the cap under an exception this off-season. Otherwise, any team in contention this year is screwed next year, not just us. They haven't released anything about it because this is the first year in a long time that teams actually have a LOT of leverage with pending FA's. Mark my words, there will be a cap adjustment right before FA this year and every will know what it is by February 15th.

Consider these teams and their cap situation:
Seattle - 2021, 19.23 mil cap space, 34 players signed(19 free agents) and no 1st round pick.
LA Rams - 2021, -20 mil in cap space(yes, that is correct, negative 20 million in cap space) 7 Free agents and no 1st round pick
Arizona - 26 mil cap space, 33 players signed for next year, 18 free agents(they currently only have 51 players signed)
TB - 30 mil cap space, 33 players signed, 18 free agents(including big ones like Lavonte David, Shaquille Barrett, Antonio Brown, Steve McLendon, Leonard Fournette, Chris Godwin)
PHI, -63 mil cap space(yes...negative 63 million) 45 players signed
Balt - 29 mil cap space, 40 players signed but Jackson will be due for an extension next season
TENN - 8.8 mil cap space, 36 players signed
HOU, -10 mil(yes, negative 10 mil) 41 players signed
KC, -13.9 mil(yep, negative 13.9) 36 players signed
Las Vegas Raiders, -6.2 mil(yes, negative 6.2), 39 players signed
LA Chargers - 31 mil cap space, 36 players signed, notable FA's - Melvin Ingram, Hunter Henry, Mike Pouncey
CHI - 655k, 35 players signed
PITT, -19 mil(yes, negative 19 mil) 34 players signed
MINN, -8 mil(yes, negative 8 mil) 46 players signed
GB, -17.2 mil(again, yes, negative 17.2 mil) 40 players signed
NO, -93 mil(Yes, as hard as it is to believe, negative 93 million) 44 players signed.

We are currently 15th in cap space next year and only 7 teams have more than 31 million in cap space for next year if nothing is done.

There are 3 teams with less than 10 mil in cap space and TEN teams with negative cap space. There's no way the NFL or NFLPA is going to let that happen with hundreds of free agents next year.

KC has 8 starters as FA's, IIRC. You think KC is going to ask Mahomes for a pay-cut? Also, those 8 starters don't have backups signed for next year either. They're in the same FA situation we are next year with 42 million less in cap space.

Anyone still not think the NFL isn't going to make cap adjustments?
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
He's never lost back to back games in his career. It's insane how dumb fans are getting about this. He's clearly been hurt this year. Throwing him back for some rookie or some washed vet is an awful idea.

Probably because he's only played one full season throughout his career lol

32 career starts is a pretty big sample size for not losing back to back games.

Better replace Jimmy.

You're just not nuanced. You need to look at the context of his record...

Like I said earlier. Stats without context don't mean much.

We weren't having a 2019 type season in 2018 if Jimmy stays healthy all year (although we may have had an even better 2019 with the extra health/reps Jimmy would have gotten in 2018. Who knows.)

He didn't start 2018 great (he was improving game to game though) and we didn't have the same team around him as 2019.

He gives us the best chance to win, but when your competition is Mullens and CJ that should be pretty obvious.

If Kyle's original plan A works out and we get Cousins in 2018 do people really think we wouldn't have won more games in 2018? Would we have taken that a slide from 13-3 in 2019? Who knows.

Winning is reliant on having your top QB available - whoever it is. Kyle's record without Jimmy is a big issue - it highlights how many games Jimmy has missed and that's something you can't afford to have with your QB1.
Originally posted by jonnydel:

Better replace Jimmy.

Not if he can get back to winning which I think he can as he had shown he can with Jimmy.

Why get rid of either?

So your saying we should keep Jimmy and Kyle and we will be a better team next year because of it?

Y'all need to stop worrying about the cap. I know that sounds head-in-the-sand, but there's no way the NFL is going to let the cap situation be as dismal as it's looking next year. These are ultra-rich owners. I'm pretty sure they're going to be willing to up the cap under an exception this off-season. Otherwise, any team in contention this year is screwed next year, not just us. They haven't released anything about it because this is the first year in a long time that teams actually have a LOT of leverage with pending FA's. Mark my words, there will be a cap adjustment right before FA this year and every will know what it is by February 15th.

Seattle - 2021, 19.23 mil cap space, 34 players signed(19 free agents) and no 1st round pick.
LA Rams - 2021, -20 mil in cap space(yes, that is correct, negative 20 million in cap space) 7 Free agents and no 1st round pick
Arizona - 26 mil cap space, 33 players signed for next year, 18 free agents(they currently only have 51 players signed)
TB - 30 mil cap space, 33 players signed, 18 free agents(including big ones like Lavonte David, Shaquille Barrett, Antonio Brown, Steve McLendon, Leonard Fournette, Chris Godwin)
Balt - 29 mil cap space, 40 players signed but Jackson will be due for an extension next season
LA Chargers - 31 mil cap space, 36 players signed, notable FA's - Melvin Ingram, Hunter Henry, Mike Pouncey
NO, -93 mil(Yes, as hard as it is to believe, negative 93 million) 44 players signed.

We are currently 15th in cap space next year and only 7 teams have more than 31 million in cap space for next year if nothing is done.

There are 3 teams with less than 10 mil in cap space and TEN teams with negative cap space. There's no way the NFL or NFLPA is going to let that happen with hundreds of free agents next year.

KC has 8 starters as FA's, IIRC. You think KC is going to ask Mahomes for a pay-cut? Also, those 8 starters don't have backups signed for next year either. They're in the same FA situation we are next year with 42 million less in cap space.

Excellent post! I've been thinking same thing but to lazy to look all them numbers up.

Better replace Jimmy.

Why get rid of either?

Excellent breakdown. Great post.
So if the caps not a problem all we need to worry about is a QB who can stay healthy and not be erratic?
Lol

Originally posted by JaggedJ:
So if the caps not a problem all we need to worry about is a QB who can stay healthy and not be erratic?

Yes, we need Jimmy to be equal to or better than 2019. Which is completely reasonable to assume he will be.

Better replace Jimmy.

Why get rid of either?

Jon.. the NFLPA already negotiated with the NFL and agreed there will be a floor. The only way the floor is not met, is through higher revenue than expected. but TV ratings are low and that was the bell cow of revenue this year

The NFL and NFLPA reached an agreement late last week where the 2021 salary cap will have a floor of $175 million. The revenue loss will be spread out the next three years. If revenues are better than expected, the 2021 salary cap could be higher. This year's salary cap will remain at $198.2 million.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-consequences-of-a-lower-2021-salary-cap-including-the-three-teams-wholl-be-hurt-most/

Yes, we need Jimmy to be equal to or better than 2019. Which is completely reasonable to assume he will be.

I would say hopeful more than reasonable (in regards to health).

You make fair points about the cap, but it's also going to be more of an issue than you are suggesting IMO.

I'm hoping that they keep it as close to this year's number as they can, even if it stays at this number for the next couple of years.

That would give us a lot more options/wiggle room.

Better replace Jimmy.

Why get rid of either?

Being in cap hell after one winning season that followed years of low spending and supposed rollovers of cap space is pretty sad.

They aren't in cap hell. Even with a drop to 175 they still are at $20mil next year and more likely $30mil after they move on from Ford/Richburg. Had the cap been the expected 200, they would be in a great position. That said I did not care for the Kwon/Ford/Richburg restructures. They could have saved a lot more money moving on from them had they not restructured

This.

Regarding Garoppolo's health, I look forward to him again showing he can make it through a full season in leading this team. Injuries can and do happen to any player, and QBs are especially vulnerable. Just last year, only 12 of 32 QBs started all 16 games. I'll be curious what this year's number looks like at season's end. Garoppolo not only started all 16 games last year but three more in the postseason...19 straight starts, which were the most by any QB last season. And, I don't think he ever came out of a game last year due to injury. I'm confident he can do that again going forward.

Better replace Jimmy.

Why get rid of either?

Jon.. the NFLPA already negotiated with the NFL and agreed there will be a floor. The only way the floor is not met, is through higher revenue than expected. but TV ratings are low and that was the bell cow of revenue this year

The NFL and NFLPA reached an agreement late last week where the 2021 salary cap will have a floor of $175 million. The revenue loss will be spread out the next three years. If revenues are better than expected, the 2021 salary cap could be higher. This year's salary cap will remain at $198.2 million.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-consequences-of-a-lower-2021-salary-cap-including-the-three-teams-wholl-be-hurt-most/
Negotiating a floor is just a good faith maneuver. You can't tell me that they're gonna let 20+ teams have almost no cap space with hundreds of free agents and teams having to create at least a hundred more with cuts.

Everyone is gonna have to give something for this to work. Theres no way you're gonna have the Saints end up being over 100 mil in the hole or the Chiefs having to gut their team. It's not happening.

I see the players union agreeing to a 5% player salary reduction, top 44 players counting against the cap as opposed to 51 and a 7 or 8 mil add-on by the league. Are you telling me the owners and players can't afford that to alleviate the revenue dip?

Doing the above to the existing cap would create 12-13 mil in space for most teams.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
He's never lost back to back games in his career. It's insane how dumb fans are getting about this. He's clearly been hurt this year. Throwing him back for some rookie or some washed vet is an awful idea.

Probably because he's only played one full season throughout his career lol

32 career starts is a pretty big sample size for not losing back to back games.

SB And week 1 this season were consecutive losses.

In 2018 he needed a flag to bail him out of a pick six otherwise he would have started 0-3.

Stats are nice, but without context they're just numbers that have no real meaning.

The Super Bowl and week 1 were different seasons. Thus, not consecutive games. Thats not the point anyway.

Better replace Jimmy.

Why get rid of either?

Negotiating a floor is just a good faith maneuver. You can't tell me that they're gonna let 20+ teams have almost no cap space with hundreds of free agents and teams having to create at least a hundred more with cuts.

Everyone is gonna have to give something for this to work. Theres no way you're gonna have the Saints end up being over 100 mil in the hole or the Chiefs having to gut their team. It's not happening.

I see the players union agreeing to a 5% player salary reduction, top 44 players counting against the cap as opposed to 51 and a 7 or 8 mil add-on by the league. Are you telling me the owners and players can't afford that to alleviate the revenue dip?

Doing the above to the existing cap would create 12-13 mil in space for most teams.

Even with that the Saints are screwed. They've been pushing money down the road for years now and everyone's been waiting for them to get caught out.

Some of the teams with "less" cap than us have a lot of wiggle room. The Chiefs for example can free up 19-20mil by converting Mahomes roster bonus into a signing bonus if they have to. Steelers are similar with Big Ben.

Some teams are screwed regardless. Others are a little misleading, but we're pretty much how it looks. Not flushed with cash and not in cap hell either.

Our issue is that we don't have a lot of room to free up space with existing contracts. It makes Jimmy's contract stand out even more as he hasn't shown he's the type of QB who you restructure without thinking because he's irreplaceable.

It's a perfect storm of cap, health, play, and contract that has Jimmy under such an intense spotlight.

It's going to be a tricky off season to navigate no matter what the cap is set at.
Share 49ersWebzone