LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 159 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • thl408
Jimmy not playing and not being able to avoid injury is my biggest concern with him. He already lost out on 3.5 years holding a clipboard for Brady. Then he lost 2018 to the ACL and now he lost half of 2020 to the ankle. That's 4+ years not playing, not getting live reps to develop. Using hindsight, I think him balling out going 5-0 to end 2017, then getting a large contract based off of those 5 games was a terrible thing to happen to him from the standpoint of perception.

His development path should have been similar to Brady, RWilson, and Big Ben. Young QBs on contending teams, supported by a run game/defense as they played the role of game manager while developing into the passers that they are now. But those three QBs didn't have large contracts when they were young in their development, so when they game managed their way to their first SB during those early years, it was okay that they didn't throw for 4K yards - they were young and developing. There were no expectations to be THE focal point of the offense. Jimmy with his large contract does not get that patience from the fanbase.

I am not saying Jimmy will be the QB Brady/Wilson/Ben is, I am saying his development path should have been like theirs. Some will say that Jimmy is not a young QB - age wise I agree. But playing time wise, he is not the typical 30 year old QB that has had 5+ seasons of starting under his belt.

He needs to play to develop, but this habit of missing time due to injury is severely hurting his development.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Meanwhile, Kyle is 5-23 in games Jimmy G doesn't start.

Better replace Jimmy.

So you're saying we should fire Kyle?

Not if he can get back to winning which I think he can as he had shown he can with Jimmy.

Why get rid of either?
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by Niners99:
He's never lost back to back games in his career. It's insane how dumb fans are getting about this. He's clearly been hurt this year. Throwing him back for some rookie or some washed vet is an awful idea.

Probably because he's only played one full season throughout his career lol

32 career starts is a pretty big sample size for not losing back to back games.

Better replace Jimmy.

When it comes to politics you somewhat logical and try to look at the bigger picture. Why is it so different with Jimmy lol

Isn't the big picture about the team winning like crazy with Jimmy and sucking balls without him?
[ Edited by TheWooLick on Nov 25, 2020 at 10:48 AM ]

Better replace Jimmy.

Not if he can get back to winning which I think he can as he had shown he can with Jimmy.

Why get rid of either?

So your saying we should keep Jimmy and Kyle and we will be a better team next year because of it?

Better replace Jimmy.

Why get rid of either?

So your saying we should keep Jimmy and Kyle and we will be a better team next year because of it?
in a perfect CAP world we might be.. but it's not so we need to make moves

Better replace Jimmy.

Why get rid of either?

Yes, don't ditch Jimmy until you have a replacement who the team can win with like they win with Jimmy.

What are you saying?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Better replace Jimmy.

Why get rid of either?

Being in cap hell after one winning season that followed years of low spending and supposed rollovers of cap space is pretty sad.

Better replace Jimmy.

Why get rid of either?

Yes, don't ditch Jimmy until you have a replacement who the team can win with like they win with Jimmy.

What are you saying?

I'm saying Jimmy is the best of 3 bad QBs and that the QB position should be upgraded this off season.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Better replace Jimmy.

Why get rid of either?

Being in cap hell after one winning season that followed years of low spending and supposed rollovers of cap space is pretty sad.
We're not in cap hell per say.. but it's the Covid storm and lost shared NFL revenue which pays the players.

They say the cap (which has increased every year) can drop from the current 200 to 175. keeping JG will account for 24m

Better replace Jimmy.

Why get rid of either?

What are you saying?

I'm saying Jimmy is the best of 3 bad QBs and that the QB position should be upgraded this off season.

Who do you have in mind?

Originally posted by Cisco0623:

Better replace Jimmy.

Why get rid of either?

What are you saying?

Who do you have in mind?

I'll let you know when the draft positions are set.

Better replace Jimmy.

Why get rid of either?

What are you saying?

Who do you have in mind?

Thanks, I feel the same way. I stand by what I said earlier. If there is a guy they covet in the first and he's there, take him, but imo that still means Jimmy is our guy next year.

Better replace Jimmy.

Why get rid of either?

What are you saying?

Who do you have in mind?

Thanks, I feel the same way. I stand by what I said earlier. If there is a guy they covet in the first and he's there, take him, but imo that still means Jimmy is our guy next year.

I think if Cincinnati ends up with pick 2 or 3 which is very possible and I'm guessing we end up at pick 8. I would really hope John and Kyle try like hell to trade up to that spot(2 1st rounders and some other mid round picks over pay if it's their guy) Take whichever QB they want not named Lawrence as I'm sure he will be a Jet. Keep Mullen's for a bridge QB if say we drafted Wilson and he wasn't ready. And with that 24 million of saving from Jimmy we can bring back Trent Williams and Verrett and start working on Warner's extension.
Jimmy & Tommy have the same agent & TB12 has taken those team-friendly deals from the Patriots for years & also has been to 9 Super Bowls.
Granted, Jimmy hasn't married the world's greatest supermodel to supplement that lost fooseball income.
Maybe it's time to see how much JG has learned from the great Tom Brady
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by 9moon:
I'm leaning towards having a rookie qb giving us cap space so we can resign key guys and sign a guy or 2 for depth or even a starting caliber oline man who won't break the bank. I think when healthy this squad is the class of the NFC and I don't see why a guy like Wilson or Lance couldn't do the things Jimmy did with Kyle making things easier for them until they grasp the system as they go. Plus those guys can stretch a d over the top, I don't know if it's ever been done but this roster is set up for a rookie qb to win a SB IF it's the right guy.

ROOKIE QB, you best target the guy you really want tho... if he's not there, then don't be forcing no CJ issue like !!

That's what I meant, for me it's either Wilson or Lance or nothing at all. I'm not settling with Jones or Trask, Lynch has to be aggressive in getting one of them

but the problem w/that is, we have a coach or even a GM (just like LOTS of fans here) that would not ROLL THE DICE and trade a bunch of picks in order to land a QB..

Making a big deal (trades), we've seen both sides of the coin... remember how Dallas built their team in the Hershel Walker trade.. and remember how the Rams couldn't build a winner after trading Eric Dickerson..

Drafting is all about getting lucky anyway.. if you want a certain player, heck, go get the guy.. KC did that w/Mahomes and no one is NOW saying that they gave up too much !!

IF Lynch is smart and like Lance, then trade up and give up picks or even player(s) because if this works out, you'd have your job forever... but if you try to be the cool team that sits and believe that a Joe or a Tom would find their way to the team, you may not be there to see that anyhow..

so, if the BENGALS somehow end up w/the 1st overall pick and want to trade it, I would offer multiple picks with Bosa or Kittle or Warner to complete it..

I will and find players like them again, but TREVOR, you'll have to wait for this kid name ARCH to see another GENERATIONAL PLAYER..
This isn't the 1st time you came up with the nonsense of trading either Bosa, Warner or Kittle. I'm not gonna argue it since it's beyond ridiculous

I'm leaning towards having a rookie qb giving us cap space so we can resign key guys and sign a guy or 2 for depth or even a starting caliber oline man who won't break the bank. I think when healthy this squad is the class of the NFC and I don't see why a guy like Wilson or Lance couldn't do the things Jimmy did with Kyle making things easier for them until they grasp the system as they go. Plus those guys can stretch a d over the top, I don't know if it's ever been done but this roster is set up for a rookie qb to win a SB IF it's the right guy.

ROOKIE QB, you best target the guy you really want tho... if he's not there, then don't be forcing no CJ issue like !!

That's what I meant, for me it's either Wilson or Lance or nothing at all. I'm not settling with Jones or Trask, Lynch has to be aggressive in getting one of them

but the problem w/that is, we have a coach or even a GM (just like LOTS of fans here) that would not ROLL THE DICE and trade a bunch of picks in order to land a QB..

Making a big deal (trades), we've seen both sides of the coin... remember how Dallas built their team in the Hershel Walker trade.. and remember how the Rams couldn't build a winner after trading Eric Dickerson..

Drafting is all about getting lucky anyway.. if you want a certain player, heck, go get the guy.. KC did that w/Mahomes and no one is NOW saying that they gave up too much !!

IF Lynch is smart and like Lance, then trade up and give up picks or even player(s) because if this works out, you'd have your job forever... but if you try to be the cool team that sits and believe that a Joe or a Tom would find their way to the team, you may not be there to see that anyhow..

so, if the BENGALS somehow end up w/the 1st overall pick and want to trade it, I would offer multiple picks with Bosa or Kittle or Warner to complete it..

I will and find players like them again, but TREVOR, you'll have to wait for this kid name ARCH to see another GENERATIONAL PLAYER..
This isn't the 1st time you came up with the nonsense of trading either Bosa, Warner or Kittle. I'm not gonna argue it since it's beyond ridiculous

YOU still don't get it... IF Cincy gets the 1st overall pick and is willing to trade to us at THAT cost, will you pull the trigger to land TREVOR !!??

It's a yes or no question to see how much you support the idea of GETTING THE QB THAT YOU WANT..
Share 49ersWebzone