There are 243 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by 9moon:
I'm leaning towards having a rookie qb giving us cap space so we can resign key guys and sign a guy or 2 for depth or even a starting caliber oline man who won't break the bank. I think when healthy this squad is the class of the NFC and I don't see why a guy like Wilson or Lance couldn't do the things Jimmy did with Kyle making things easier for them until they grasp the system as they go. Plus those guys can stretch a d over the top, I don't know if it's ever been done but this roster is set up for a rookie qb to win a SB IF it's the right guy.

ROOKIE QB, you best target the guy you really want tho... if he's not there, then don't be forcing no CJ issue like !!

That's what I meant, for me it's either Wilson or Lance or nothing at all. I'm not settling with Jones or Trask, Lynch has to be aggressive in getting one of them

but the problem w/that is, we have a coach or even a GM (just like LOTS of fans here) that would not ROLL THE DICE and trade a bunch of picks in order to land a QB..

Making a big deal (trades), we've seen both sides of the coin... remember how Dallas built their team in the Hershel Walker trade.. and remember how the Rams couldn't build a winner after trading Eric Dickerson..

Drafting is all about getting lucky anyway.. if you want a certain player, heck, go get the guy.. KC did that w/Mahomes and no one is NOW saying that they gave up too much !!

IF Lynch is smart and like Lance, then trade up and give up picks or even player(s) because if this works out, you'd have your job forever... but if you try to be the cool team that sits and believe that a Joe or a Tom would find their way to the team, you may not be there to see that anyhow..

so, if the BENGALS somehow end up w/the 1st overall pick and want to trade it, I would offer multiple picks with Bosa or Kittle or Warner to complete it..

I will and find players like them again, but TREVOR, you'll have to wait for this kid name ARCH to see another GENERATIONAL PLAYER..
I'm leaning towards having a rookie qb giving us cap space so we can resign key guys and sign a guy or 2 for depth or even a starting caliber oline man who won't break the bank. I think when healthy this squad is the class of the NFC and I don't see why a guy like Wilson or Lance couldn't do the things Jimmy did with Kyle making things easier for them until they grasp the system as they go. Plus those guys can stretch a d over the top, I don't know if it's ever been done but this roster is set up for a rookie qb to win a SB IF it's the right guy.

ROOKIE QB, you best target the guy you really want tho... if he's not there, then don't be forcing no CJ issue like !!

That's what I meant, for me it's either Wilson or Lance or nothing at all. I'm not settling with Jones or Trask, Lynch has to be aggressive in getting one of them

but the problem w/that is, we have a coach or even a GM (just like LOTS of fans here) that would not ROLL THE DICE and trade a bunch of picks in order to land a QB..

Making a big deal (trades), we've seen both sides of the coin... remember how Dallas built their team in the Hershel Walker trade.. and remember how the Rams couldn't build a winner after trading Eric Dickerson..

Drafting is all about getting lucky anyway.. if you want a certain player, heck, go get the guy.. KC did that w/Mahomes and no one is NOW saying that they gave up too much !!

IF Lynch is smart and like Lance, then trade up and give up picks or even player(s) because if this works out, you'd have your job forever... but if you try to be the cool team that sits and believe that a Joe or a Tom would find their way to the team, you may not be there to see that anyhow..

so, if the BENGALS somehow end up w/the 1st overall pick and want to trade it, I would offer multiple picks with Bosa or Kittle or Warner to complete it..

I will and find players like them again, but TREVOR, you'll have to wait for this kid name ARCH to see another GENERATIONAL PLAYER..
This isn't the 1st time you came up with the nonsense of trading either Bosa, Warner or Kittle. I'm not gonna argue it since it's beyond ridiculous
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by Niners99:
He's never lost back to back games in his career. It's insane how dumb fans are getting about this. He's clearly been hurt this year. Throwing him back for some rookie or some washed vet is an awful idea.

Probably because he's only played one full season throughout his career lol

32 career starts is a pretty big sample size for not losing back to back games.

Imagine trading George Kittle and like three 1sts for Andrew Luck. Whoops! Nobody is trading that 1st overall pick next year anyways.
He's never lost back to back games in his career. It's insane how dumb fans are getting about this. He's clearly been hurt this year. Throwing him back for some rookie or some washed vet is an awful idea.

SB And week 1 this season were consecutive losses.

In 2018 he needed a flag to bail him out of a pick six otherwise he would have started 0-3.

Stats are nice, but without context they're just numbers that have no real meaning.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JaggedJ:

SB And week 1 this season were consecutive losses.

In 2018 he needed a flag to bail him out of a pick six otherwise he would have started 0-3.

Stats are nice, but without context they're just numbers that have no real meaning.

LOL you are the type of guy who would find fault in Jesus Christ. So bitter

Here's my two cents and you can do with it what you want:

When we first got Jimmy G, I was skeptical because of the other New England QB's that flashed, got paid by other teams, and did diddly squat. I was cautiously optimistic that at least he would be better than Hoyer and Beathard. He then plays that last 5+ games that year and didn't lose a game and nearly got us a W in the hand he first came in. I was stoked!

He was looking pretty good the start of the next season, but then tears his ACL. I'm bummed. What do we have with him? Was it a flash in the pan? Did we strike gold? Now we gotta wait for next season.

We get Bosa. Kittle making a name for himself. Okay, Jimmy, what can you do? He looks good. We go undefeated for 8 games! Say what?!? Running game killing it! All the way up to the Super Bowl, there's good and there's not so good. But, damn it feels great!

In the playoffs, people talked about, "Kyle didn't trust his QB", "it's because of our stout defense and running game we're here, not the QB." I'm like, "okay, he's not Brady, Brees, Rodgers, but at least he ain't like the last few QB's we had that couldn't do anything.

Now, this year, more injuries. Play was sub-par, but not bad. And he's out for the rest of the season again.

The way I'm looking at it is this: Jimmy G is a good QB. Depending on which side of the coin you're on with him, you can and will find data or plays that prove YOUR point about him. I feel that outside the injuries, we can and are a perennial playoff team with him and potential Super Bowl winners. But, my fandom is declining because I want my QB to be in as much as possible. I wanted Jimmy G to work out, but I feel it's best for us to draft his replacement if we land in the top 5-7. Let the rookie sit, learn, and battle for the position while Jimmy plays next year. I feel that the rookie would come in at some point anyways due to injury or play.
Originally posted by InfiniteEight:

When we first got Jimmy G, I was skeptical because of the other New England QB's that flashed, got paid by other teams, and did diddly squat. I was cautiously optimistic that at least he would be better than Hoyer and Beathard. He then plays that last 5+ games that year and didn't lose a game and nearly got us a W in the hand he first came in. I was stoked!

He was looking pretty good the start of the next season, but then tears his ACL. I'm bummed. What do we have with him? Was it a flash in the pan? Did we strike gold? Now we gotta wait for next season.

We get Bosa. Kittle making a name for himself. Okay, Jimmy, what can you do? He looks good. We go undefeated for 8 games! Say what?!? Running game killing it! All the way up to the Super Bowl, there's good and there's not so good. But, damn it feels great!

In the playoffs, people talked about, "Kyle didn't trust his QB", "it's because of our stout defense and running game we're here, not the QB." I'm like, "okay, he's not Brady, Brees, Rodgers, but at least he ain't like the last few QB's we had that couldn't do anything.

Now, this year, more injuries. Play was sub-par, but not bad. And he's out for the rest of the season again.

The way I'm looking at it is this: Jimmy G is a good QB. Depending on which side of the coin you're on with him, you can and will find data or plays that prove YOUR point about him. I feel that outside the injuries, we can and are a perennial playoff team with him and potential Super Bowl winners. But, my fandom is declining because I want my QB to be in as much as possible. I wanted Jimmy G to work out, but I feel it's best for us to draft his replacement if we land in the top 5-7. Let the rookie sit, learn, and battle for the position while Jimmy plays next year. I feel that the rookie would come in at some point anyways due to injury or play.

Good post

This is where I am at with this situation in my head too.
Originally posted by InfiniteEight:

Fair statement overall...I just don't want the roster to be worse overall because we decided to keep Jimmy over a handful of other players (and not being able to upgrade) due to cap restraints.

Meanwhile, Kyle is 5-23 in games Jimmy G doesn't start.

Better replace Jimmy.

Originally posted by TheWooLick:

Better replace Jimmy.

Any coach on the planet would be 5-23 with those two clowns under center. It's gonna be a money thing if he doesn't take a paycut. Too many people to resign and 26.9 million cap number goes a long way. So good roster with new QB or shell of a roster with a mid-tier QB who can't stay healthy. Either way it's tough.

Better replace Jimmy.

You're just not nuanced. You need to look at the context of his record...
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Fair statement overall...I just don't want the roster to be worse overall because we decided to keep Jimmy over a handful of other players (and not being able to upgrade) due to cap restraints.

That's the elephant in the room. I really wonder if Jimmy would be willing to take a pay cut and stay with the Niners when he considers the offense that fits him. He also needs to consider his age (30 next year) and his injury history. That could really bring down his market value. Most GMs around the league don't view him as a difference maker from what I've heard. I don't think he could get much on the open market and his trade value is in question with the injuries he's' had the last 3 years. His best bet might be to agree to 1 or 2 years at a reduced salary and then try and prove he can stay on the field and improve his overall play. If he doesn't want to negotiate then I let him walk.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Nov 25, 2020 at 9:51 AM ]

Better replace Jimmy.

So you're saying we should fire Kyle?

Better replace Jimmy.

When it comes to politics you somewhat logical and try to look at the bigger picture. Why is it so different with Jimmy lol
Share 49ersWebzone