LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I feel like the last 100 pages are barely even talking about Jimmy at this point, it's just posters arguing about themselves...

To get back on topic, the biggest debate at this point is: Do we "give up" on 2021 or put all our eggs into the basket of "hopes and wishes" by cutting Jimmy and rolling with a rookie QB? Or, do we bank on a healthier team -- albeit much less talented -- having a shot at the playoffs but iffy chances at anything beyond that?

What can we really buy in 2021 for Jimmy's salary that will help us not lose games if we move on and start someone else next year? That's not an easy question to answer, and it's why I don't see any real reason to move on YET from Jimmy. Give him one last chance while a promising rookie adjusts to the scheme. Whether Jimmy balls out or not, we can trade him in 2022 to save a ton of money and get compensation in return. Use the picks and the cash to continue to build the roster around the young-gun and retain our best players. Boom. Championship.

For next year, give me Garoppolo at QB, give me the below starters, and I like this team's chances against any team in the league - regular season or playoffs:

O
QB: Garoppolo
RB: Mostert
FB: Juice (re-sign)
WR: Deebo
WR: Aiyuk
TE: Kittle
LT: Williams (re-sign)
LG: Tomlinson
C: Richburg (if he can't go, a quality veteran since C is such a key position; also, draft a good C/IOL)
RG: Brunskill (re-sign cheap) or McKivitz (looking forward to seeing him play more this year)
RT: McGlinchey

D
DE: Bosa
DT: Kinlaw
DT: Jones (re-sign, shouldn't be too much $)
DE: Armstead
LB: Warner
LB: Greenlaw
LB: Al-Shaair (would like an upgrade here, maybe via the draft)
(or) Slot CB: Williams (re-sign, though not sure what happened w/ today's suspension)
CB: Verrett (re-sign assuming he can stay healthy the rest of the season - I like his resurgence; shouldn't be too much $)
CB: Moseley (re-sign pretty cheap)
S: Ward (please start making more plays in the form of INTs, forced fumbles, etc.)
S: Moore

Of the above starters, only six are FAs that need to be re-signed. The only big-ticket guy to re-sign is T. Williams. Juice won't be cheap for his position but he's a must - he's the best FB - and hopefully Paraag will make it work.

With the anticipated reduced salary cap, EVERY TEAM is going to be in the same boat, and it's going to be a trickle effect across the league where some salaries are going to be adjusted, some guys aren't going to be paid as much, etc., etc. Many guys won't like it but will have to work with each of their respective teams' (or new teams') salary cap parameters.

As always, next year's draft is going to be huge and the Niners will have nine picks at least. You fill out the depth of this roster with talent from the draft, UDFAs, & re-signing (hopefully IMO) guys like Hyder (could be a little $ w/ how well he's played), Blair (cheap since hurt), maybe S. Thomas for depth (only for cheap/right $), maybe J. Reed (let's see if he stays healthy - and must be right $), maybe Bourne (knows the system well but inconsistent - only for right $), Jeff Wilson (cheap), Dwelley (cheap), T. Pepper (assuming he keeps showing well as LS; cheap), maybe Garland (knows the system & sometimes a decent backup - cheap). That's it from this team. For the rest of the scheduled FAs, there aren't many/any that are "must keep" unless I'm missing someone. You can either re-sign some of those left since they know the system, are serviceable, and would be very cheap. Or, you can find cheap alternatives that may end up being better fits in this scheme (i.e., Hyder this past Free Agency). You also rely on Paraag to work his magic to restructure some existing contracts, etc., which we know he'll do. (Note: I didn't mention Sherman as his age + injuries + $ will probably be too much.)

In looking at the QB room, to me one of the bigger issues over these past four years is not having a better solution at backup, especially considering how important the position is and also the potential for injury like we've seen time and time again. Mullens & Beathard have been seen by these coaches every practice and every game they've played over these past four years. To see their very poor play when called upon, particularly vs. decent-to-good teams where they really don't give this team much of a chance to win those games, is something I don't want to see again. I know many teams don't have great backup QB situations but some have much better ones, such as the Saints & Colts where the backup can give the team a fighting chance with such teams' surrounding talent being good.

This next draft, I'm hoping the Niners take a promising young guy somewhat early - a guy that would no doubt be an upgrade over Mullens or Beathard and would at least give this team a better chance should something happen to Garoppolo. Maybe it's a guy like Mac Jones or Kyle Trask...I've been watching both this season and so far I like much of what I see with their QB talents, where they can hopefully bring their games to greater heights under Shanahan's tutelage. Just as an example, the Patriots did it in drafting Garoppolo to back up Brady...when Brady was suspended in 2016, Garoppolo stepped in and won two straight games, one on national TV vs. the Cards (those two performances also helped his future trade value, which the Patriots capitalized on).

Do I wish Garoppolo wouldn't have had the injuries he's had? Of course, just like any fan here. They happened, though, and injuries can hit any QB at any given moment. Garoppolo gets landed on by K. Alonso & has an injured shoulder that shelves him for awhile, then Brady returns from his four-game suspension. This year, Q. Williams breaks through the porous OL and gets Garoppolo's ankle, which results in a high ankle sprain (whoever has had one of these knows how much they can shut you down athletically). Injuries are not an excuse, they're a reality - especially when it comes to football. And with that, you have to be prepared to deal with them when they happen.

Injuries happen to any player and QBs are especially vulnerable...just last year, only 12 of 32 QBs started all 16 games. I'll be curious what this year's number looks like at season's end. Garoppolo not only started all 16 games last year but three more in the postseason...his 19 straight starts were the most by any QB last season. And, unless I'm forgetting something, I don't think he ever came out of a game last year due to injury.

Last thought on Garoppolo, and it's regarding his salary: Yes, he's at a number next year that seems pretty high on the surface at $26M. Yet compared to other starting QBs' salaries for next year, he's not all that high and even another guy or two could pass him up by the start of next season. Right now, there are 10 QBs ahead of him with higher salaries next year - some making huge $ that are really going to affect their teams' lowered cap (Big Ben = $41M; M. Ryan = $40M - wow; Wentz = $34M, or $8M more than Garoppolo; Goff = $34M; Cousins = $31M...just some of those 10 QBs).

To me, when you have a very good QB that can make plays and put this team in position to win every game he's in vs. any team in the league, you have to pay for it some and just hope he can stay healthy. Yet that goes for ANY QB. That's football.

Some of you don't think Garoppolo is worth the value of his salary next year, where the basis of that opinion is related to his previous injuries, and/or related to how it might affect the team's ability to fill out a top roster...or just his overall abilities as a QB. I get the first two concerns and have spoken to those in the above part of this post. The last concern I couldn't disagree more as I definitely feel he's a Top 12 QB in this league with definite room for improvement that I think can and will happen (this is just my opinion, and it's based on watching & re-watching multiple times every game he's started for this team and watching him start for NE). Say what you want about the NFL's yearly Top 100 poll but his fellow players put him at #43 after last year. It's my opinion that Garoppolo is definitely worth his value of where he's going to be paid next year respective to the other starting QBs' salaries.

I also believe in Garoppolo's other QB intangibles, including (and one of the most important) him being a true leader on this team that teammates respect and will rally behind at any given point. You can't discount that, especially with what this team has gone through in playing so many close games under Shanahan and then going through last year, where they were half a quarter away from winning it all. This team, with its talent and with Garoppolo under Center, knows it can win in any game against any team.
^ would be nice if they can do all that with $20mil, maybe $30 mil if they cut Ford/Richburg. Still need to grab a C and probably another ER and CB. So maybe they can get something like Mack and Kerrigan on some cheaper deals and then draft a CB. Going up he an interesting offseason
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
^ would be nice if they can do all that with $20mil, maybe $30 mil if they cut Ford/Richburg. Still need to grab a C and probably another ER and CB. So maybe they can get something like Mack and Kerrigan on some cheaper deals and then draft a CB. Going up he an interesting offseason

Agreed, definitely going to be an interesting offseason. I like some of those names you mentioned. Looking forward to seeing what they do.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

Agreed, definitely going to be an interesting offseason. I like some of those names you mentioned. Looking forward to seeing what they do.

If they opt to move on from jimmy it's going to be really interesting lol

Rookies will take up 8-10mil, 10 x guys on "cheap deals" could still accumulate to 10-15mil.

That's before we have to worry about the guys who actually command real money.

"Cheap deals" aren't going to save us from reality.

Let's put Jimmy aside and say we're keeping him. People still need to prepare themselves for decisions they are really not going to like.

Hell, even cutting Jimmy and saving 24mil isn't going to save us from some pain over the off season with other free agents.

The silver lining is that the Saints are far far far worse off and we get to watch them run around like headless chooks trying to fix it.
Sweep LA to set the table for glory for the James gang.
Originally posted by JaggedJ:

Rookies will take up 8-10mil, 10 x guys on "cheap deals" could still accumulate to 10-15mil.

Let's put Jimmy aside and say we're keeping him. People still need to prepare themselves for decisions they are really not going to like.

Hell, even cutting Jimmy and saving 24mil isn't going to save us from some pain over the off season with other free agents.

The silver lining is that the Saints are far far far worse off and we get to watch them run around like headless chooks trying to fix it.

Those were just 2 guys they could kick the tires on for cheaper deals due to their age and positions they play. The reality is it's going to be tight this offseason. The reality is also that if they do opt to move on from jimmy, along with cutting Ford/Richburg, they are going to be just fine financially
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Nov 24, 2020 at 8:33 PM ]

Those were just 2 guys they could kick the tires on for cheaper deals due to their age and positions they play. The reality is it's going to be right this offseason. The reality is also that if they do opt to move on from jimmy, along with cutting Ford/Richburg, they are going to be just fine financially

That's why I'm on the side of moving on from Jimmy. Him and Ford alone will give us around 40mil even after signing our rookies. It will be a buyers market next off season as teams try to get under the cap. That 40mil could go a long way.

Even so I still think we'll lose guys we might otherwise keep, but if it is a buyers market hopefully we can offset that with some good deals to round out the roster.

Those were just 2 guys they could kick the tires on for cheaper deals due to their age and positions they play. The reality is it's going to be right this offseason. The reality is also that if they do opt to move on from jimmy, along with cutting Ford/Richburg, they are going to be just fine financially

That's why I'm on the side of moving on from Jimmy. Him and Ford alone will give us around 40mil even after signing our rookies. It will be a buyers market next off season as teams try to get under the cap. That 40mil could go a long way.

Even so I still think we'll lose guys we might otherwise keep, but if it is a buyers market hopefully we can offset that with some good deals to round out the roster.

Yeah. I really have no clue what direction they are going to go in
I'm leaning towards having a rookie qb giving us cap space so we can resign key guys and sign a guy or 2 for depth or even a starting caliber oline man who won't break the bank. I think when healthy this squad is the class of the NFC and I don't see why a guy like Wilson or Lance couldn't do the things Jimmy did with Kyle making things easier for them until they grasp the system as they go. Plus those guys can stretch a d over the top, I don't know if it's ever been done but this roster is set up for a rookie qb to win a SB IF it's the right guy.

Rookie QB has never won a SB, but what it does do is set us up to challenge years 2,3,4 etc provided we get the right guy.
[ Edited by JaggedJ on Nov 24, 2020 at 8:55 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
I'm leaning towards having a rookie qb giving us cap space so we can resign key guys and sign a guy or 2 for depth or even a starting caliber oline man who won't break the bank. I think when healthy this squad is the class of the NFC and I don't see why a guy like Wilson or Lance couldn't do the things Jimmy did with Kyle making things easier for them until they grasp the system as they go. Plus those guys can stretch a d over the top, I don't know if it's ever been done but this roster is set up for a rookie qb to win a SB IF it's the right guy.

ROOKIE QB, you best target the guy you really want tho... if he's not there, then don't be forcing no CJ issue like !!
Originally posted by 9moon:

ROOKIE QB, you best target the guy you really want tho... if he's not there, then don't be forcing no CJ issue like !!

That's what I meant, for me it's either Wilson or Lance or nothing at all. I'm not settling with Jones or Trask, Lynch has to be aggressive in getting one of them
Rookie QB has never won a SB, but what it does do is set us up to challenge years 2,3,4 etc provided we get the right guy.

Yup, like Wilson won his and Mahomes but then again Chiefs can sign him to a 500 mil contact and keep everyone

Yup, like Wilson won his and Mahomes but then again Chiefs can sign him to a 500 mil contact and keep everyone

How exactly does that work? Kelce, Hill, Clark, Mathieu, etc?
[ Edited by Rathof44 on Nov 24, 2020 at 9:42 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone