LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 289 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by mayo49:
With this OL how good do you expect him to be?

About as good as Matt Ryan and is 23rd ranked pass-pro OL in 2016?
Originally posted by Goatie:
Oh no you don't.

Back to the same old having a dig a Jimmy after first offering praise.

You conveniently leave out the utter brilliance of Jimmy's passing game that when going head to head with Breeze. You only describe the short pass to Kittle and put a negative spin on it as if you are rubbing Jimmy's face in it like he did something wrong. What Jimmy did is execute one of the two plays Kyle allocated for that play. Jimmy read the defense and made the call of the two plays as he is meant to do.

So what you are really doing is blaming Jimmy for the calls Kyle told him to run. That is a fail on your part in my book.

Your second paragraph then goes on to say Jimmy does not throw the long passes enough for him to get a good feel for his receivers.

While it may be true in regard to the fact that Jimmy did not throw many long passes in games last season you do not know what went on in practice during the year. Hence you are making a huge assumption.

Perhaps Jimmy did get a lot of practice reps on long passes but the receivers were not making it work in regard to their routes and timing. Perhaps because of that Kyle and the other coaches did not think it was a good idea to run the plays in games. The fact is you do not really know at all. It is also clear from the many times you have posted your negative opinions of Jimmy's abilities is that you lack the understanding of the dynamics of how plays work.

All the pieces in the play must work ie the blockers must do their job at pass protection, the receivers must do their job as must the decoys do their job and they must all do their job on time for the QB to have any chance to land a long ball. A basic fact in this dynamic is that the QB must lead the ball on a long pass way before the receive even gets to where he must be, Hence in practice the QB throws to the point where the receiver is meant to be time and time and time again.

In a game when the QB does his job and throws it to the point to where the receiver is meant to be but the receiver is not their because of the route run, or he stuffed up his timing because he did not execute or because a defender got in the way or a blocker stuffed up does not mean the QB is to be blamed.

Your opinions are oblivious to this dynamic and it makes your posts, that I have been reading for over a year, very unpersuasive.

You kind of make my point. First, it wasn't Jimmy's brilliant passing that was responsible for the game winning drive. It was Kittle. Yes Jimmy had a great game that day. But that's one of the problems. Those great days are way too infrequent. Nearly all QBs have a good or great game at some point in their career. The problem is that many of them don't do it often. That game in NO was a one off. Both teams were going up and down the field that day, like the D just took the day off. Don't tell me I don't understand the dynamics of the passing game. I've mentioned all the things you brought up about what it takes to make a play work. That's why I say the only way to get better at those plays are reps. We will never see if JG can be accurate on long passes with any consistency if they don't throw more. One attempt per game isn't enough to give a decent sample size. You can argue about his potential but we need to see it become reality. Otherwise, we are always going to doubt his ability to some extent. I know what he can do in the 10-20 yard zone over the middle. He's proved himself to be very good in that zone. Now show me some more deep outs and long passes. Not every series but enough to know he can make those throws with regularity if needed. Im know this will never be a drop back and let it fly offense like some teams run. I'm not asking for that. I do know that a lot of fans on this forum aren't comfortable with Jimmy throwing it downfield at this point.

Bye the way, I'm not trying to persuade you of anything. I'm just throwing out my opinion like everyone else. It's no better of worse than yours. It's just my feelings and observations. Yes I do include the good stuff with the bad. I often start by saying I don't hate Jimmy and then proceed to point out his good things and follow with what I see as poor things. It's because many of us see both sides. Unfortunately some fans get agitated if we don't heap praise on him and blame everyone else for his shortcomings.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Oct 31, 2020 at 9:35 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by mayo49:
With this OL how good do you expect him to be?

About as good as Matt Ryan and is 23rd ranked pass-pro OL in 2016?
was Atlanta playing with a 3rd string Center and first year starting UDFA RG ?
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Oct 31, 2020 at 9:24 AM ]
It's the one year anniversary of, Feels great baby.
  • Jiks
Funny, Shanny put his complete trust in Ryan and he absolutely blew it.
Originally posted by Jiks:
Funny, Shanny put his complete trust in Ryan and he absolutely blew it.
and it took two years to accomplish what JG did in one
  • fan49
  • Veteran
It's pretty easy to say and see, that if Jimmy doesn't go off tomorrow. He's not what We want him to be, or Kyle doesn't have faith in him. Flat out quarterbacks are going crazy on Seattle's defense. If you play fantasy football you know. So it's one of those two things. Because Seattle actually has a good run defense. So I personally can't wait to see what happens tomorrow
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by Goatie:
Oh no you don't.

Back to the same old having a dig a Jimmy after first offering praise.

You conveniently leave out the utter brilliance of Jimmy's passing game that when going head to head with Breeze. You only describe the short pass to Kittle and put a negative spin on it as if you are rubbing Jimmy's face in it like he did something wrong. What Jimmy did is execute one of the two plays Kyle allocated for that play. Jimmy read the defense and made the call of the two plays as he is meant to do.

So what you are really doing is blaming Jimmy for the calls Kyle told him to run. That is a fail on your part in my book.

Your second paragraph then goes on to say Jimmy does not throw the long passes enough for him to get a good feel for his receivers.

While it may be true in regard to the fact that Jimmy did not throw many long passes in games last season you do not know what went on in practice during the year. Hence you are making a huge assumption.

Perhaps Jimmy did get a lot of practice reps on long passes but the receivers were not making it work in regard to their routes and timing. Perhaps because of that Kyle and the other coaches did not think it was a good idea to run the plays in games. The fact is you do not really know at all. It is also clear from the many times you have posted your negative opinions of Jimmy's abilities is that you lack the understanding of the dynamics of how plays work.

All the pieces in the play must work ie the blockers must do their job at pass protection, the receivers must do their job as must the decoys do their job and they must all do their job on time for the QB to have any chance to land a long ball. A basic fact in this dynamic is that the QB must lead the ball on a long pass way before the receive even gets to where he must be, Hence in practice the QB throws to the point where the receiver is meant to be time and time and time again.

In a game when the QB does his job and throws it to the point to where the receiver is meant to be but the receiver is not their because of the route run, or he stuffed up his timing because he did not execute or because a defender got in the way or a blocker stuffed up does not mean the QB is to be blamed.

Your opinions are oblivious to this dynamic and it makes your posts, that I have been reading for over a year, very unpersuasive.

You kind of make my point. First, it wasn't Jimmy's brilliant passing that was responsible for the game winning drive. It was Kittle. Yes Jimmy had a great game that day. But that's one of the problems. Those great days are way too infrequent. Nearly all QBs have a good or great game at some point in their career. The problem is that many of them don't do it often. That game in NO was a one off. Both teams were going up and down the field that day, like the D just took the day off. Don't tell me I don't understand the dynamics of the passing game. I've mentioned all the things you brought up about what it takes to make a play work. That's why I say the only way to get better at those plays are reps. We will never see if JG can be accurate on long passes with any consistency if they don't throw more. One attempt per game isn't enough to give a decent sample size. You can argue about his potential but we need to see it become reality. Otherwise, we are always going to doubt his ability to some extent. I know what he can do in the 10-20 yard zone over the middle. He's proved himself to be very good in that zone. Now show me some more deep outs and long passes. Not every series but enough to know he can make those throws with regularity if needed. Im know this will never be a drop back and let it fly offense like some teams run. I'm not asking for that. I do know that a lot of fans on this forum aren't comfortable with Jimmy throwing it downfield at this point.

Bye the way, I'm not trying to persuade you of anything. I'm just throwing out my opinion like everyone else. It's no better of worse than yours. It's just my feelings and observations. Yes I do include the good stuff with the bad. I often start by saying I don't hate Jimmy and then proceed to point out his good things and follow with what I see as poor things. It's because many of us see both sides. Unfortunately some fans get agitated if we don't heap praise on him and blame everyone else for his shortcomings.

Don't waste your time Catch, this is the same one that said the overthrow of Sanders in the SB was Sanders fault because he wasn't where he supposed to be.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Don't waste your time Catch, this is the same one that said the overthrow of Sanders in the SB was Sanders fault because he wasn't where he supposed to be.

I know. Like I said I don't expect to change anyone's mind. The Jimmy supporters are right that the bottom line is winning. I just want to be more entertained when we win. Maybe we'll start seeing a couple of throws to Aiyuk like the one last week.

I know. Like I said I don't expect to change anyone's mind. The Jimmy supporters are right that the bottom line is winning. I just want to be more entertained when we win. Maybe we'll start seeing a couple of throws to Aiyuk like the one last week.
wanting more than just winning for self gratification is setting yourself up for failure.

We have been so bad for so long.. lets just enjoy this era in 49er football as nothing last forever
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Oct 31, 2020 at 11:20 AM ]

• Chief
  • Veteran
I said it a few days ago, I'll say it again. I have always been a Jimmy G supporter and believe in his ability. But the next 3 weeks are crucial to our season and he HAS to do more than he has been. He has to put the team on his back and win a game or two before the bye week.

If Jimmy flutters around the next three weeks and doesn't ball out or at least show some amazing grit with solid performances then we need to move on.

If he can put together a few solid games and a win or 2 with all these injuries against the solid opponents we will be facing than we keep moving forward.

I love winning too, but entertainment is also a big part of why I enjoy football and we're not a fun team to watch on most days. I don't find long runs or YAC that exciting like some of the fan base does.

Aiyuk does need more targets in the passing game for sure. He could develop into a nice deep threat for us if we threw it downfield more often.
[ Edited by PuckFarag10 on Oct 31, 2020 at 12:22 PM ]
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I really wish Deebo was available. Either way, Jimmy has to win us these next few games. This is where he can silence the doubters and ultimately earn a new contract.
lol f**k entertainment. If we could just do YAC and have RBs take us to a Lombardi, I would take that. But I know game managers aren't gonna win a Superbowl unless literally everything else is perfect on the roster. Defenses, especially playoff defenses will see through that crap and adjust.

That's the main reason I complain about Jimmy, but I also know that hes the best we got right now. Unless Kyle has his eyes on another QB in the draft, we'll be sticking to Jimmy. I would love for him to improve on those deep outs and other throws he struggles with instead of sticking to the middle of the field which is his bread and butter.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I'm going to leave this right here......

JG (2019) - 329 completions 476 attempts 69.1% completion rate 3,978 total yards 27 TDs
MR (2016)- 374 completions 537 attempts 69.6 completion rate 4,960 total yards 38 TDs

I wonder if Julio Jones, Austin Hooper, Taylor Gabriel, Sanu, Freeman/Coleman (combined 800 receiving yards) had anything to do with the difference?

Share 49ersWebzone