BLACK FRIDAY SALE: 30% off at the official 49ers online store with code 30YARDS →

There are 72 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by genus49:
Context helps.

Jimmy was outplaying Mahomes most of that game. Running the ball keeps the clock running. It would've been smart football to keep the ball on the ground because you know the clock will keep running. Yes the Chiefs gave us pass favorable looks and we didn't execute but in a game where refs weren't calling holding on the Chiefs whether it was on offense or defense running the ball would've been smarter.

It's hindsight but does anyone thing if we ran the offense we have the last two games in the 4th qtr of the SB that we wouldn't have Lombardi #6 right now?

Our defense was also playing better than their defense. You're not really playing the other teams QB. When they NEEDED a play(s) Mahomes was there in spades. When SF needed a play(s) Jimmy was not. A lot of players/coaches that can be blamed for all of that.

I don't think we really need to bring up the SB anymore lol
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Goatie:
On win percentage it is Mahomes, Brady then Garoppolo. That is all time for QBs who have played over 30 games.

The fact that Jimmy is streets ahead of Mullens/Beathard/Hoyer says it is more then just Kyle's scheme

Lol crazy he's better than a gypsy backup QB, a UDFA, and a day 3 draft pick whom many didn't see as much of anything in college I don't think you'll find anyone that disagrees with that.

Lamar Jackson has a 85 win % right now, guess that makes him better than Brady.

Using this tired method isn't going to win you the argument.

Guess since using Flacco, Dalton and Alex Smith you had to change it up?

You know damn well nobody is calling Jimmy, Brady. You know Lamar Jackson isn't better than Brady.

What you seem to want to gloss over because you've made up your mind is that unlike Lamar Jackson who has been on a very good team his whole career we've actually seen Jimmy go to a trash roster team and elevate the play of everyone there and get the team winning.

I don't care how much you want to ignore it but 1-10 to 5-0 is super impressive when you literally change 1 player. There are some things that cannot be quantified and that happens in football. Jimmy's impact on that team was insane.

You're choosing to ignore that and mark it off as a distant memory that was more of a fluke and act like none of whatever Jimmy brought to the team that year is still around somehow.

That's fine. That's your call. You want someone who can use the whole field and what not but please stop using ridiculous points to act like other people can't think that whatever Jimmy brought in 2017 is still around and helping the team win games even if it doesn't include flashy big plays.

You and others think that people make excuses for Jimmy but explain to me what the difference is between excuses and stating facts?

Saying vs Arizona Jimmy was missing his top 2 WRs(same two guys you claim in this thread are terrific talents and we don't need a Hopkins/Jones) and starting a Center off the PS who was signed by us on August 20th.

Is that an excuse? Or are those just facts of what happened?

Saying a QB wasn't able to play at his best because he was missing consistency or weapons on offense shouldn't be treated as an excuse. It's actually what happened. It doesn't excuse bad throws to the guys who were there but it certainly does add context to a game which wasn't great.

Just like when people point to the Vikings game Jimmy had a tough time in...should we ignore everything that went on in that game and just say Jimmy sucked?

I've seen a lot of the same conversation we're having here early on with Pats fans in regards to Brady and then other fans in regards to Brady.

And before you run in here screaming ONCE AGAIN...Jimmy is not Tom Brady. However Brady is certainly the gold standard of non athletic QBs with ok arms. He got by on his quick release, his mind and his competitiveness. Now Jimmy is definitely not there in terms of pocket presence, he's not there in terms of the mechanics and he's not there in terms of the mental processing but early in his career Tom wasn't what he became either.

The whole win % is not the ultimate X is better than Y because X has a better win% and you know this. Just like SB wins > no SB wins.

It's part of the picture but wins in football are the ultimate stat. End of the day you can play like ultimate dog sh*t but if you get the W that's all that counts.

I brought up Tim Tebow before as an example of someone who found ways to win games but couldn't even hit 50% of his passes and you could just tell he didn't belong. That's not the case with Jimmy. His resume is still small but it's shown enough that there's more to his game than just being a winning QB. And the fact that his resume is so small gives people hope that he can keep growing as a QB.

You and others are ready to move on. Ok that's cool. Don't be an ass to others who aren't ready to call it quits. The whole "why are you guys so defensive/emotional about Jimmy?" thing is so stupid.

He's the QB of our franchise. God forbid some fans actually want to support the guy and see him do well.
Context helps.

Jimmy was outplaying Mahomes most of that game. Running the ball keeps the clock running. It would've been smart football to keep the ball on the ground because you know the clock will keep running. Yes the Chiefs gave us pass favorable looks and we didn't execute but in a game where refs weren't calling holding on the Chiefs whether it was on offense or defense running the ball would've been smarter.

It's hindsight but does anyone thing if we ran the offense we have the last two games in the 4th qtr of the SB that we wouldn't have Lombardi #6 right now?

Our defense was also playing better than their defense. You're not really playing the other teams QB. When they NEEDED a play(s) Mahomes was there in spades. When SF needed a play(s) Jimmy was not. A lot of players/coaches that can be blamed for all of that.

I don't think we really need to bring up the SB anymore lol

In spades?

Really? I don't want to get back to talking SB but in spades?

He took full advantage of our defense being raped with no holding calls being thrown. He threw up a 3rd and 15 pass that was basically a punt to a WIDE open Hill who was facing the ball and fielded it like a punt. Then got saved by a BS PI call on Moore when they would've had to settle for a FG.

Garoppolo meanwhile was getting blasted in the head with no call, hit almost every throw attempt but because he misses Sanders on a much tougher throw deep he's coming up short while Mahomes is there in spades?

Come on dude.

I don't care how much you want to ignore it but 1-10 to 5-0 is super impressive when you literally change 1 player. There are some things that cannot be quantified and that happens in football. Jimmy's impact on that team was insane.

You're choosing to ignore that and mark it off as a distant memory that was more of a fluke and act like none of whatever Jimmy brought to the team that year is still around somehow.

You and others think that people make excuses for Jimmy but explain to me what the difference is between excuses and stating facts?

1)Those 2017 wins are spoken of as if they were a playoff run with us winning the Championship.

The discussion we are in the middle of is "how good is Jimmy in 2020,"....yet those 2017 games were 3 years ago.

What other football player gets to live off of 5 or so successful games on a 6 win team 3 years ago..?! That's like the average NFL Career length isint it?

It just doesn't work that way for pretty much anyone else aside from moderately young legends of the game.

A lot of drop off can occur over 3 yrs. Same with improvement, which we'd like to see. But 2017 can't possibly answer any current concerns.

2) Saying he would've played better with a healthier supporting cast is an excuse. It's not crossed out of excuse territory because you think it's true.

Excuses are false, true, and undetermined. That's just how they work.

3) Projecting what would have happened if ______ has never been factual since the beginning of mankind. Let's not try to start such a thing now for the sake of the convenience it offers in excusing a football player we like.
[ Edited by random49er on Oct 29, 2020 at 7:26 AM ]

You know damn well nobody is calling Jimmy, Brady. You know Lamar Jackson isn't better than Brady.

What you seem to want to gloss over because you've made up your mind is that unlike Lamar Jackson who has been on a very good team his whole career we've actually seen Jimmy go to a trash roster team and elevate the play of everyone there and get the team winning.

That's fine. That's your call. You want someone who can use the whole field and what not but please stop using ridiculous points to act like other people can't think that whatever Jimmy brought in 2017 is still around and helping the team win games even if it doesn't include flashy big plays.

Saying vs Arizona Jimmy was missing his top 2 WRs(same two guys you claim in this thread are terrific talents and we don't need a Hopkins/Jones) and starting a Center off the PS who was signed by us on August 20th.

Saying a QB wasn't able to play at his best because he was missing consistency or weapons on offense shouldn't be treated as an excuse. It's actually what happened. It doesn't excuse bad throws to the guys who were there but it certainly does add context to a game which wasn't great.

Just like when people point to the Vikings game Jimmy had a tough time in...should we ignore everything that went on in that game and just say Jimmy sucked?

I've seen a lot of the same conversation we're having here early on with Pats fans in regards to Brady and then other fans in regards to Brady.

And before you run in here screaming ONCE AGAIN...Jimmy is not Tom Brady. However Brady is certainly the gold standard of non athletic QBs with ok arms. He got by on his quick release, his mind and his competitiveness. Now Jimmy is definitely not there in terms of pocket presence, he's not there in terms of the mechanics and he's not there in terms of the mental processing but early in his career Tom wasn't what he became either.

The whole win % is not the ultimate X is better than Y because X has a better win% and you know this. Just like SB wins > no SB wins.

It's part of the picture but wins in football are the ultimate stat. End of the day you can play like ultimate dog sh*t but if you get the W that's all that counts.

I brought up Tim Tebow before as an example of someone who found ways to win games but couldn't even hit 50% of his passes and you could just tell he didn't belong. That's not the case with Jimmy. His resume is still small but it's shown enough that there's more to his game than just being a winning QB. And the fact that his resume is so small gives people hope that he can keep growing as a QB.

You and others are ready to move on. Ok that's cool. Don't be an ass to others who aren't ready to call it quits. The whole "why are you guys so defensive/emotional about Jimmy?" thing is so stupid.

He's the QB of our franchise. God forbid some fans actually want to support the guy and see him do well.

Genus I love ya, but I'm not gonna response in full to a 15 paragraph comment

I'm not the person who keeps bringing up winning % and even you yourself said it's a baseless statement previously. I have brought up other QBs who have won a ton of games and no one is gonna make the claim that they're some elite talent or say they're the sole reason they won as many games as they did.

We've established that Jimmy is better than Mullens/hoyer/CJ. That's not debatable. I think most will agree he's better than half the QBs in football...tell me, you think if the Jags get Jimmy they magically become a playoff caliber team? Does he win 75% of his games there? How about the Jets or even the bengals? Are the Falcons better with Jimmy as the QB? You think Jimmy wins more games than Dak in Dallas? How about in Philly?

You think if kyle has someone else who's middle of the pack like Stafford/tannehill or even Kirk that we all of a sudden lose a bunch of games?

I feel like you think I hate Jimmy and you get very defensive over it. It's simply not true, I just don't think he's as good as some of ya'll think. It's fine if we disagree. I also never said move on from Jimmy, I've said restructure his contract (keeping him here thru 2022) and drafting a higher end QB to develop. Once they're ready to go move JG. If you're on board to keep Jimmy the next 7 yrs or so, cool personally I think we can do a little better.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Oct 29, 2020 at 7:49 AM ]
In spades?

Really? I don't want to get back to talking SB but in spades?

He took full advantage of our defense being raped with no holding calls being thrown. He threw up a 3rd and 15 pass that was basically a punt to a WIDE open Hill who was facing the ball and fielded it like a punt. Then got saved by a BS PI call on Moore when they would've had to settle for a FG.

Garoppolo meanwhile was getting blasted in the head with no call, hit almost every throw attempt but because he misses Sanders on a much tougher throw deep he's coming up short while Mahomes is there in spades?

Come on dude.

He made the plays and Jimmy didn't...complain all you want those were the results. I thought you could be a little more objective genus, but clearly not about Jimmy.

I see no reason to continue this convo with ya at this point.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
He made the plays and Jimmy didn't...complain all you want those were the results. I thought you could be a little more objective genus, but clearly not about Jimmy.

I see no reason to continue this convo with ya at this point.

Funny you call him out on not being objective... While yourself not being objective.

Genus I love ya, but I'm not gonna response in full to a 15 paragraph comment

I'm not the person who keeps bringing up winning % and even you yourself said it's a baseless statement previously. I have brought up other QBs who have won a ton of games and no one is gonna make the claim that they're some elite talent or say they're the sole reason they won as many games as they did.

We've established that Jimmy is better than Mullens/hoyer/CJ. That's not debatable. I think most will agree he's better than half the QBs in football...tell me, you think if the Jags get Jimmy they magically become a playoff caliber team? Does he win 75% of his games there? How about the Jets or even the bengals? Are the Falcons better with Jimmy as the QB? You think Jimmy wins more games than Dak in Dallas? How about in Philly?

You think if kyle has someone else who's middle of the pack like Stafford/tannehill or even Kirk that we all of a sudden lose a bunch of games?

I feel like you think I hate Jimmy and you get very defensive over it. It's simply not true, I just don't think he's as good as some of ya'll think. It's fine if we disagree. I also never said move on from Jimmy, I've said restructure his contract (keeping him here thru 2022) and drafting a higher end QB to develop. Once they're ready to go move JG. If you're on board to keep Jimmy the next 7 yrs or so, cool personally I think we can do a little better.

Shanahan should draft another Beathard?
That was who he envisioned grooming behind his vet.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Funny you call him out on not being objective... While yourself not being objective.

How am I not? Have you not read 90% of my posts in here?

I've NEVER stated JG sucks or is some bad QB. I've stated he wins games with sound structure around him. He's a good QB. I've said restructure him which in turn keeps him in SF thru 2022.

I've also said imo while he's good, he's not a great QB who's ceiling isn't massive...at this point in his career I'm not sure how much better he gets. I've said imo I think Kyle could open more of his playbook with a different QB. I've said if you don't have an elite QB or a up an coming rookie QB (on a rookie deal) they should draft/develop a young prospect with real upside...not Nick Mullens

So I have never pissed on JG and what he brings to the team and I haven't kissed his ass thinking he's some super-star QB. How's in the world is that not objective?
Originally posted by TheWooLick:

Yes because coaches/GMs never change their idea of what they like in prospects ONE day 3 pick spent on a QB and that's what you expect forever lol. Again Kirk was his plan. They needed a backup, CJ was NEVER the answer, so stop pretending like it was.

He sure as s**t changed his tune on WR...went from guys like taylor/Pettis to Deebo/Aiyuk/Hurd. Not even close to the same type of prospect.

• Jcool
  • Veteran

Almost every time Lynch trades up or overdrafts a Shanahan guy it seems to never work out well.

No it wasn't. You don't take a qb at the end of the 3rd round and anoint him the future. Hell most 3rd rounders never amount to being more than backups.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

No it wasn't. You don't take a qb at the end of the 3rd round and anoint him the future. Hell most 3rd rounders never amount to being more than backups.

Kirk Cousins was a 4th round pick.

Almost every time Lynch trades up or overdrafts a Shanahan guy it seems to never work out well.

Aiyuk doing okay...not sure how you determine someone is an overdraft? What do you base it off of, cbs draft rankings?
Kirk Cousins was a 4th round pick.

Pretty damn good 4th rd pick imo. Not many late day 3 QBs turn into long-term starters now do they?
Share 49erswebzone