BLACK FRIDAY SALE: 30% off at the official 49ers online store with code 30YARDS →

There are 93 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
"kyle shanahan is the problem??"

"people are s**tTING on deebo and aiyuk!"

lol

Someone said "Shanahan picked Beathard over Mahomes and Watson. Jimmy G is the guy Kyle is building around. Next coach can draft a guy."

To which you then put in bold and posted a mic drop gif.

The part above (which isn't true or realistic) is clearly pointing the finger at Kyle.

If you don't believe Kyle is to blame, then you are just stirring the pot for reactions.

I posted that and I am good with Jimmy G.

Kyle is responsible for the qb situation. That isn't blame, that's the way it is.

Actually it's the very definition of blame... And I agree with it.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Ok, to clarify here, there seems to be this view that because Aiyuk and Deebo were higher draft picks that they're pro-bowl caliber receivers RIGHT NOW. I disagree. They are very good players and are special with the ball in their hands, but both are still developing as route runners. The hardest thing for young WR's to do, coming in to the league, is learning how to run their routes to beat man-coverage consistentlly. Jerry Rice had to learn 6 different ways to disguise his release on freaking slant routes. They're raw as route runners. Just because they can get open 1/3 times, doesn't mean the QB should look their way all the time, that's not how QB's do it vs man-coverage, they can't scan the field or magically see the one time out of 3 that a receiver beats his man. He has to read leverage, where the help is and pick a matchup. Jimmy has shown he'll trust guys if they are reliable - Kittle vs freaking Gilmore. But these guys have to earn those looks. It takes time. Quit acting like Jimmy is stacked with man-beating weapons he can look at every time like Brady had with both Gronk or Edelman. Think about the SB against the Falcons. The 4th quarter is was like every pass was going to either Gronk or Edelman against ATL's man-coverage.

I never said they were pro-bowl caliber WRs...I said he has more than capable playmakers it's not a negative overall. People in here are acting like our playmakers are holding our QB back and that a bunch of crap IMO.

I also don't expect them to win in man all day, not even the best do. I do expect Jimmy to hit his WRs when they're wide open and be accurate. He's about avg there IMO.

You don't believe me, here's Shanahan's own words:
"Like Samuel in 2019, Aiyuk's usage early in his rookie season came on plays designed to get the ball in his hands in space, either on sweeping running plays or passes near the line of scrimmage. That's been a way for Shanahan to incorporate his play making receivers into the offense while they become more consistent route runners, leading to more passes downfield, as Aiyuk had Sunday.

"I wouldn't give the guys those run plays if we didn't think they were good at it. It's not like we do that for everybody," Shanahan said Monday. "When you can do that, it gives you more opportunities to make plays because you're touching it. But the more you can do in the routes, the more you're consistent, the more opportunities you get. And I think those guys, they're not there yet, but I think they're both getting better in a lot of ways."

He continued: "A lot of receivers who come into this league, it takes them a while to learn how to beat NFL coverages, beat man to man in the NFL. And these guys have been able to do it right away, but as you wait for them to reach their full potential, it's not hard having them out there because they can make so many plays in so many other ways, which allows us to keep them out there more consistently."

Consider that the Cards, Jets, Giants, Eagles, Dolphins, and Patriots all primarily played man-coverage against us. Maybe, just maybe this is why our receivers were targeted so few times during this stretch? Nope, can't be exactly what our coach is saying corroborated with numbers. Has to be that the QB is limiting the system....

Just wait for it, here comes the, "or kyle is just protecting his QB by saying this".

I understand all this, there are also plays where guys like Aiyuk are getting open, plays were Jimmy could have thrown the ball better (juice vs LA Bourne to win in AZ). There's bone headed throws like the INT on Sunday... Crocky brought up Aiyuk vs the Patriots with their man coverage (they're one of the best in the NFL) he was cooking them all game and stated he's not worried about Aiuyk vs man. I know him and Jimmy have only had a couple games together, so hopefully that continues to grow.

end of the day I'm just so tired of hearing excuse after excuse for SF QBs. First it was Alex Smith, then Kap, now Jimmy....what the hell is so wrong with saying hey maybe Jimmy is just better at throwing certain passes compared to others? What's wrong with saying he's just a good QB and might have a limited ceiling? It doesn't mean he blows, just means there's just certain things he CAN'T do at a high level. It's not the end of the world, but it might just be the truth end of the day...

NY, not every post is directed at you, take a breath, buddy. You may not have said they were pro-bowl caliber, but it has been said in this thread in the past 2 days.

See what I bolded on both our posts. These guys have to earn those looks. That's why I'm not going to jump on Jimmy for not seeing them open on man-coverage plays, right now. If it's happening week 17 and Aiyuk consistently is showing he's beating man, then yes. But then and only then IF Aiyuk puts it on film that he's beating his man-coverage on a CONSISTENT basis will I shift more responsibility on the quarterback than the receiver. Jimmy has shows that when guys show they will beat their man, his trust in them is fully there and he'll let it fly and look their direction. Look at Sanders last year, the throw he made to Sanders when Peterson was on him...my god...that's what he can do when he has trust in his receiver to beat that man every time. Sanders had shown that ability for years, Aiyuk hasn't. He showed he trusted Marquise Goodwin when in their first couple games together Goowin was consistently beating his guy. He let it fly to him. Some people, not necessarily you, act as if Jimmy is the unknown who has to prove himself to the rest of the team and his coach, not that these young WR's need to prove themselves to their FRQB and team captain.

do you have a gif of that? that throw to Sanders was unbelievable. the anticipation Jimmy threw was absolutely insane. Peterson was still looking back for the ball having no idea it was already in Sanders' hands.
[ Edited by SkyZer0 on Oct 28, 2020 at 1:10 PM ]
NY, not every post is directed at you, take a breath, buddy. You may not have said they were pro-bowl caliber, but it has been said in this thread in the past 2 days.

See what I bolded on both our posts. These guys have to earn those looks. That's why I'm not going to jump on Jimmy for not seeing them open on man-coverage plays, right now. If it's happening week 17 and Aiyuk consistently is showing he's beating man, then yes. But then and only then IF Aiyuk puts it on film that he's beating his man-coverage on a CONSISTENT basis will I shift more responsibility on the quarterback than the receiver. Jimmy has shows that when guys show they will beat their man, his trust in them is fully there and he'll let it fly and look their direction. Look at Sanders last year, the throw he made to Sanders when Peterson was on him...my god...that's what he can do when he has trust in his receiver to beat that man every time. Sanders had shown that ability for years, Aiyuk hasn't. He showed he trusted Marquise Goodwin when in their first couple games together Goowin was consistently beating his guy. He let it fly to him. Some people, not necessarily you, act as if Jimmy is the unknown who has to prove himself to the rest of the team and his coach, not that these young WR's need to prove themselves to their FRQB and team captain.

You literally commented on my post not sure how else I'm suppose to interpret that? I understand the point you made with Aiyuk and needing more consistency. I also see plenty of other QBs throwing to WRs that they having been playing with for yrs or are rookies (either the QB or WR) just fine.

We will see, I've said all along Jimmy has the rest of the yr to dial it up a notch as a passer IMO. I just don't want to continue to hear the excuses after the fact.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Oct 28, 2020 at 1:22 PM ]
you're right instead you had to write five paragraphs showcasing your kicking and screaming.

nope actually 3 paragraphs explaining what other people stated. You know the ones kicking and screaming....I remembered what they said, so I wrote it down

You literally commented on my post not sure how else I'm suppose to interpret that?

Well I apologize for not being clear enough. I was using your post as a topic starter.
you're right instead you had to write five paragraphs showcasing your kicking and screaming.

nope actually 3 paragraphs explaining what other people stated. You know the ones kicking and screaming....I remembered what they said, so I wrote it down

"f**k this f**k that" blah blah. = kicking and screaming all day long. but as others have said, take a breath, buddy.
[ Edited by SkyZer0 on Oct 28, 2020 at 1:29 PM ]
I'm calling it now, Jimmy and Aiyuk or Kittle gon eat up on SEA's left corner, #22. He's Dontae Johnson bad.

Looked him up, C.J. Prosise. He's awful.
[ Edited by jonnydel on Oct 28, 2020 at 1:31 PM ]
dumbass madrid trying to take on the GOAT lol
I'm calling it now, Jimmy and Aiyuk or Kittle gon eat up on SEA's left corner, #22. He's Dontae Johnson bad.

Wasn't that guy an arby?
Originally posted by susweel:

Wasn't that guy an arby?

I edited it in the other thread, google gave me the wrong info, it's quinton Dunbar is #22. He and Tre Flowers have been splitting time there and they're both awful.

Originally posted by susweel:

Wasn't that guy an arby?

is a arby?
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
dumbass madrid trying to take on the GOAT lol

The whole thread is ridiculous and shows that PFF is actually biased. It started from THEIR podcast which they said, "It's gonna come down to if Jimmy G throws interceptions....*second guy* No it doesn't. I don't think it matters how well Jimmy G plays, Kyle Shanahan is that brilliant."
They're pretty much admitting that they're not giving the QB credit in Kyle's system because they believe everything is the result of Kyle's playcalling and they've said Kyle can "overcome" Jimmy G.

That sets up a no-win premise for Jimmy and is what we see here. If he plays well, "kyle schemed it for him" if he doesn't, "Jimmy sucks and imagine this offense with_________".

So, Lombardi responded by pointing out how Shanahan is 4-21 without Jimmy. So, Madrid brings up the Rams game from 2017 as to why it's the coach, not the QB.

I've got Aiyuk and Kittle on my fantasy team
  • thl408
Originally posted by AceDuce49:
is a arby?

RB. running back.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by AceDuce49:
is a arby?

RB. running back.

Share 49erswebzone