LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by cortana49:
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
His arm strength isn't good enough to be accurate like alot of other QBs down the field and outside the hashes.

?

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/new-england-patriots/jimmy-garoppolos-arm-strength-issue

?

You're digging a hole now. We're supposed to "listen" to opinions as opposed to "seeing" proof?

yeah lol wtf?

talk show heads > proof
Originally posted by cortana49:

You're digging a hole now. We're supposed to "listen" to opinions as opposed to "seeing" proof?

Proof of what??

Why were they discussing the same exact issues, discussing the same criticisms, 4 years ago w/a different team?

Do the issues they were discussing just "not exist" ??

clearly not considering he made 2 of those very those throws you said he couldnt make LAST game, lol
As NY would say, refer to post #58232. It has me acknowledging that he can certainly make the throws. He also has issues with the same throws, as I said before you ever replied.

A video doesn't refute anything when it's already been said 8 posts above yours on the same page that he CAN,...and that consistency is the issue in a number of areas and it ultimately (probably) relates to not having an elite arm in all areas, like a # of other QBs.

Beyond that, I was responding to jonny to begin with, making the simple argument that it's not elite and it's not an issue 49ers fans have just made up. The audio you refuse to acknowledge proves it's been an issue noticed by onlookers since then, before the 49ers. He has strengths, but he has weaknesses too. It's a 4+ year old clip!

Both teams have seen elite players at the QB position for multiple decades. NE and the 49ers are spoiled, but the ones that have been around know what's what.

Not going to delve any deeper with you due to where it ends up, which is off the topic of football.
[ Edited by random49er on Oct 29, 2020 at 3:52 PM ]
Seems the topic of debate is changing today in regards to what we have in JG, all in thanks to those that have brought FACTS to the table. So now, lets get on to what is KS going to dial up for this offense this week? Surely there are going to be some 'different' wrinkles to show the hawks?
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
As NY would say, refer to post #58232. It has me acknowledging that he can certainly make the throws. He also has issues with the same throws, as I said before you ever replied.

A video doesn't refute anything when it's already been said 8 posts above yours on the same page that he CAN,...and that consistency is the issue in a number of areas and it ultimately (probably) relates to not having an elite arm in all areas, like a # of other QBs.

Beyond that, I was responding to jonny to begin with, making the simple argument that it's not elite and it's not an issue 49ers fans have just made up. The audio you refuse to acknowledge proves it's been an issue noticed by onlookers since then, before the 49ers. He has strengths, but he has weaknesses too. It's a 4+ year old clip!

Both teams have seen elite players at the QB position for multiple decades. NE and the 49ers are spoiled, but the ones that have been around know what's what.

Not going to delve any deeper with you due to where it ends up, which is off the topic of football.

You and your ilk are 100% proof of the bolded.

How about this, what would you have the 49ers do RIGHT NOW? You and others have spent the better part of this entire season complaining about Jimmy, but the only ideas I've heard are start Nick or CJ () and trade for Darnold (). Do you agree with either of these? If not, what do you propose?
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eastie:
Seems the topic of debate is changing today in regards to what we have in JG, all in thanks to those that have brought FACTS to the table. So now, lets get on to what is KS going to dial up for this offense this week? Surely there are going to be some 'different' wrinkles to show the hawks?

Funny how that works, huh? Now the argument is "Jimmy doesn't have ELITE arm strength." Uhh yeah, we've known that. Lol.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Funny how that works, huh? Now the argument is "Jimmy doesn't have ELITE arm strength." Uhh yeah, we've known that. Lol.

Tell that to Jonny.
[ Edited by random49er on Oct 29, 2020 at 4:05 PM ]
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Originally posted by Jcool:
If you think there are 15 better QBs then he isnt good enough.

I also have said ad nauseam that I expect him to take a leap this year. Also, I said top 15. That doesnt mean I believe there are 15 better QBs than him. He is in the 10-15 range.
Winning isn't enough for some on here. They insist that more needs to come form the QB. You said he needs to prove himself. MY thought is what more does he need to do to 'prove' himself? Isn't winning the ultimate proof? Hasn't he done that already by virtue of his winning percentage? If wins aren't enough, what is?

I guess it just comes down to me being tired of people using our team winning as the barometer for judging how good a QB is. Wins and Losses are a team stat. Tim Tebow won more starts than he lost. Is that all that matters? Or does it matter that he had horrendous accuracy and didnt look like an NFL QB?

Again, we can win with Jimmy. That has been proven. But last year we had a full healthy team and a dominant defense. That isnt the case this year. I dont understand why people have such a hard time separating record and player analysis in here. I dont see people in the offensive line thread talking down to everyone who thinks the line isnt any good because we have been winning with that line.

No. Not the entire season. This excuse is ridiculous. He was top 10 in almost every passing metric, and #1 or #2 in 3rd down passing last year. Get out of here with this nonsense. The only thing he's lacking are the "wow" plays that you see on Sportscenter, that's it. He's a boring QB, unless you're actually a student of the game and understand how a QB fits into the structure, personality, and success of the team.

3rd down passing last year was incredibly encouraging and was the main reason I believe Jimmy was on his way to getting into that next tier of QBs. No question 3rd down is the money down, and Jimmy was exceptional last year.

You can say no about the bolded, fine. But it is unquestionable that we had a much healthier team last year and a substantially more dominant defense. So under those circumstances, Jimmy has proven he can win a lot of games. Like I said, that isnt the case this year (regarding his supporting cast). Again, I dont understand why you feel that this is such a slight to Jimmy. Its not. It doesnt matter who the QB is. Wins/Losses are a team stat.
  • thl408
I did some research and Jimmy's Throw Power rating in Madden 2021 is 89.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Tell that to Jonny.

I don't recall seeing Jonny say his arm strength is "elite." Did he? Perhaps he has a different definition that I (or you do) than elite. Which QB's in the NFL right now would you consider to have elite arm strength? In my opinion it's Patrick Mahomes and maybe Josh Allen in terms of just pure arm strength. MAYBE add in Stafford. No one else is ELITE in my mind.

• Furlow
  • Veteran

I also have said ad nauseam that I expect him to take a leap this year. Also, I said top 15. That doesnt mean I believe there are 15 better QBs than him. He is in the 10-15 range.
Winning isn't enough for some on here. They insist that more needs to come form the QB. You said he needs to prove himself. MY thought is what more does he need to do to 'prove' himself? Isn't winning the ultimate proof? Hasn't he done that already by virtue of his winning percentage? If wins aren't enough, what is?

I guess it just comes down to me being tired of people using our team winning as the barometer for judging how good a QB is. Wins and Losses are a team stat. Tim Tebow won more starts than he lost. Is that all that matters? Or does it matter that he had horrendous accuracy and didnt look like an NFL QB?

Again, we can win with Jimmy. That has been proven. But last year we had a full healthy team and a dominant defense. That isnt the case this year. I dont understand why people have such a hard time separating record and player analysis in here. I dont see people in the offensive line thread talking down to everyone who thinks the line isnt any good because we have been winning with that line.

No. Not the entire season. This excuse is ridiculous. He was top 10 in almost every passing metric, and #1 or #2 in 3rd down passing last year. Get out of here with this nonsense. The only thing he's lacking are the "wow" plays that you see on Sportscenter, that's it. He's a boring QB, unless you're actually a student of the game and understand how a QB fits into the structure, personality, and success of the team.

3rd down passing last year was incredibly encouraging and was the main reason I believe Jimmy was on his way to getting into that next tier of QBs. No question 3rd down is the money down, and Jimmy was exceptional last year.

You can say no about the bolded, fine. But it is unquestionable that we had a much healthier team last year and a substantially more dominant defense. So under those circumstances, Jimmy has proven he can win a lot of games. Like I said, that isnt the case this year (regarding his supporting cast). Again, I dont understand why you feel that this is such a slight to Jimmy. Its not. It doesnt matter who the QB is. Wins/Losses are a team stat.

Then why are QB's judged so harshly on their W/L record in the regular season? And even more so in the playoffs? And ultimately by their W/L record in the Super Bowl? You act like this is something that fans of Jimmy G made up lol.

Tell that to Jonny.

You must be getting tired random. What with all that digging up and moving the goal posts today.

This is it for me in this thread until next Monday or Tuesday, when all these arguments will start up again and we can sift through them for something to boost out POV. I hope we beat the snot out of the hawks and Monday is, indeed, a love fest! Go Niners!!!
[ Edited by eastie on Oct 29, 2020 at 4:25 PM ]

Then why are QB's judged so harshly on their W/L record in the regular season? And even more so in the playoffs? And ultimately by their W/L record in the Super Bowl? You act like this is something that fans of Jimmy G made up lol.

I am not.

People use W/L record as a way to try to prove their POV. Alex Smith is deemed a winner by you and his fans without using context. Then if you bring up his horrendous postseason record (something you say QBs are judged more harshly on than the regular season), those same people try to provide context to explain the record. Its happening in here too. Like I said before, Tim Tebow has a winning record in the NFL. Most would agree he wasnt a very good QB. But based on the W/L record being a measuring stick, wouldnt people then agree Tebow was really good? You can say the same for Kaepernick. He is 4-2 in the playoffs, but most dont believe he is good.

I have never used record as a way to judge QB play, nor will I. Jimmy can play exceptional football, and we could lose. I wouldnt blame Jimmy for the loss if he was playing great. On the flipside, he could play poorly and still win. I wouldnt say Jimmy won the game if he played s**tty.

Like I have said for a long time on here, a team's record is not a good way to judge QB value.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
This is coming off a win! A dominating win!

I can only imagine how toxic this thread will be if San Francisco is 4 - 7 after Thanksgiving, yeesh.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

I am not.

People use W/L record as a way to try to prove their POV. Alex Smith is deemed a winner by you and his fans without using context. Then if you bring up his horrendous postseason record (something you say QBs are judged more harshly on than the regular season), those same people try to provide context to explain the record. Its happening in here too. Like I said before, Tim Tebow has a winning record in the NFL. Most would agree he wasnt a very good QB. But based on the W/L record being a measuring stick, wouldnt people then agree Tebow was really good? You can say the same for Kaepernick. He is 4-2 in the playoffs, but most dont believe he is good.

I have never used record as a way to judge QB play, nor will I. Jimmy can play exceptional football, and we could lose. I wouldnt blame Jimmy for the loss if he was playing great. On the flipside, he could play poorly and still win. I wouldnt say Jimmy won the game if he played s**tty.

Like I have said for a long time on here, a team's record is not a good way to judge QB value.

Alex is a winner. Stats, W/L, money earned, wife hotness, character; whatever metric you want to use. You and others lost that debate a long time ago lol.

No one said that W/L record was "the best" nor "the only" metric. But when you're splitting hairs about whether a QB is "top 15" or "top 10;" or if his arm strength is "average" or "elite;" or if he's "accurate" or not; then W/L record is a pretty damn good tie breaker. You keep bringing up Tebow which is the most asinine and irrelevant example, because Tebow isn't good at any of those things.

And to throw Tebow a bone, I think had he not had the distraction of his celebrity, he might have been given more of a chance, especially in today's NFL. He made plays and obviously his energy and leadership helped his teams win games.
Share 49ersWebzone