LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 292 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by genus49:
Come on man...you know I respect your posting but you're reaching so hard i'm afraid you'll hurt something.

Alex Smith had years of starting experience. He was what he was. And we saw fully well what he was capable of in 2011.

Yes we saw the excellent Alex Smith who finished the Saints in spectacular way but we also saw the 95% of Alex Smith in the middle of that game, before the late heroics in a do or die situation and the 95% of Alex Smith in the Giants game. The game where the defense kept giving the offense the ball back and we just couldn't do squat with it because Alex was playing too safe.

When you have a QB who plays too safe you better hope the rest of your team is having their A game. Cuz if any of them have an off game your odds of winning drop significantly.

For all of Jimmy's success on 3rd down that's like the opposite of Alex. How many times did Alex throw it short of the down marker? How many 3 and outs did we have in those playoff games with him?

Why do you have to bring up one game about Alex to prove something? I can do that with Jimmy in both playoffs games? Threw the ball 27xs in two games. We can cherry picks stats all day man.

My point is bringing up winning % is dumb. I can point to a ton of QBs that won games, but we can all agree they aren't special players.

The 5 wins he had here in 2017 we all know about. Say what you will about sample size those were super impressive and the impact he had on the whole roster was crazy...which is why he got the contract he got.

Some QBs just seem to win more often than not. Jimmy has done that. Will he continue to do that? We'll see but in a sport where wins are so important due to lack of games, best of X series in the playoffs...you don't replace a guy who somehow keeps getting you a W at the end of the game.

I don't care about 2017 anymore and I don't know why people still hold onto that? Yes it was a great little stretch of wins and he looked good. You can't tell me he's played like that overall since then. Wins are wins BUT IMO they've mostly been TEAM wins, not won on the back of our QB. I just want to see more out of our QB...I have no idea why that's such a bad thing in here? He's being paid enough that's for sure.

And lastly to finish up how silly your Alex Smith comparison was...Alex's win % with us was 51%. With the KC wins he's at 58%

Flacco with the Ravens was at 58%
Dalton with Cinci was at 53%

I'm sure as Jimmy plays more his numbers will level out a bit. I mean this season alone is a perfect example with all the injuries. We're 4-3 but really could be undefeated if injuries aren't a fact. Hell even with the injuries we really should be 6-1 if we have a couple of plays go differently.

But UNTIL those numbers level off replacing him is a slippery slope. And you better be sure you have a Mahomes type QB waiting in the wings.

Yes maybe we shouldn't even compare him until he starts in at least 100 games? The sample sizes aren't close to the same. OR I guess we can say Jimmy is better than Joe Montana who won 69% of his football games I guess he's the greatest QB of all time because the best winning % was Bradshaw at 73%. I know you said winning % is blanket statement, that's why I was responding to THAT post.

Also the reason I've brought up Alex Smith, is because they're in similar situations and IMO are similar talents (I do think Jimmy is better overall). They're good QBs that can win you a bunch of games in the context of their scheme. Neither have a bunch of elite attributes, athletically very similar (actually think Alex was more athletic in his prime). Arm talent is good not great. They aren't vertical passing QBs. Both have dealt with injures etc.

I just don't see the upside of him like others do...it doesn't mean I hate him as a player or don't think we can win with him. I do think his overall ability holds back Kyle's scheme to a point. I have no idea why that equals "reaching" if you don't agree, that's fine.

I've also stated I think they should restructure him, therefor keeping in SF thru 2022. I think they should draft a QB to develop behind Jimmy and trade him once that rookie QB is ready to go...similar to the Alex Smith situation ( a couple times). That doesn't equal me s**tting on our current QB, but if you don't have an elite QB or an up an coming rookie QB (on a rookie paycheck) then you SHOULD always be looking for one.

Maybe. People are talking about replacing him and acting like he's a finished product with 31 starts though...

And I didn't bring up one game from Alex Smith. I brought up Alex Smith's whole career which at the time of the 49ers parting ways was much further along as a starter than Jimmy is right now. You know what his win% was then.

So you have a guy who has a win% in the 50s, you have a guy who plays so safe you need everything to go perfect to have him throw beyond the sticks and you also happen to have a very talented kid who was winning games for you. You made the comparison and it's a bad one. Simple as that.

And whether you want to throw away 2017 that's fine. Yes it was 3 years ago, things change. However when you're talking about win% and winning that season is certainly still in play. You can't magically pretend it didn't happen. You don't often get to see a QB come into a 1-10 team and have success. It may not mean much now but it says a good amount about Jimmy as a player. And talking about cherry picking stats and then deciding to ignore him going 5-0 after starting on a team that was 1-10 without him, 5-0 in games against 3 playoff teams btw.

If you want to talk about winning 2017 is in play.
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
i mean it is nice that Ryan had guys like Roddy White and Julio his entire career lol

It's nice that Jimmy has had two elite level HCs and programs his whole career and a guy like Kittle/Gronk too

Let's stop acting like Jimmy has been some starving QB that had nothing his whole career ...so far he's he's gotten a ton of guys he's can dump the ball off too and they're the one making plays.

oh no one said that, again. just you.
sorry you cant handle that reality.

Reality of what? He wanted Kirk hence why he passed on QBs in the 1st and took a day 3 QB as a backup/developmental project? That's reality.

Was it wrong to want Kirk over those two? Sure. We weren't the only team to pass on them either.

Wrong, Jeep and elguapo have been complaining about the talent around Jimmy and made it into an excuse.

Wrong, Jeep and elguapo have been complaining about the talent around Jimmy and made it into an excuse.

wrong to your wrong. they were never downplaying the talent and skill we already have and currently have. just saying that people like Julio are in a class of their own. but also while looking at what we have in the bigger picture in terms of longevity and experience.
Maybe. People are talking about replacing him and acting like he's a finished product with 31 starts though...

And I didn't bring up one game from Alex Smith. I brought up Alex Smith's whole career which at the time of the 49ers parting ways was much further along as a starter than Jimmy is right now. You know what his win% was then.

So you have a guy who has a win% in the 50s, you have a guy who plays so safe you need everything to go perfect to have him throw beyond the sticks and you also happen to have a very talented kid who was winning games for you. You made the comparison and it's a bad one. Simple as that.

And whether you want to throw away 2017 that's fine. Yes it was 3 years ago, things change. However when you're talking about win% and winning that season is certainly still in play. You can't magically pretend it didn't happen. You don't often get to see a QB come into a 1-10 team and have success. It may not mean much now but it says a good amount about Jimmy as a player. And talking about cherry picking stats and then deciding to ignore him going 5-0 after starting on a team that was 1-10 without him, 5-0 in games against 3 playoff teams btw.

Dude you brought up the Saints game and NY game specifically...did you not? That's like me bringing up the two playoff games from last yr.

Yes let's actually care about 5 games in 2017. It's 2020 and that's lost it's luster...I'm NOT talking about winning % someone else was and I said it's a pretty baseless stat overall. If Jimmy balls out the rest of the yr and looks like an elite QB BUT we lose, I'm not gonna say well he sucks because we didn't win. Clearly it was because of something else.
wrong to your wrong. they were never downplaying the talent and skill we already have and currently have. just saying that people like Julio are in a class of their own. but also while looking at what we have in the bigger picture in terms of longevity and experience.

b******t, elguapo was bringing up a handful of teams that he feels has better play makers and how we don't have a WR1 etc.

It's a bunch of comments refusing to put any accountability on the QB, simply because he's the QB of the 49ers.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Oct 28, 2020 at 9:24 AM ]

Dude you brought up the Saints game and NY game specifically...did you not? That's like me bringing up the two playoff games from last yr.

Yes let's actually care about 5 games in 2017. It's 2020 and that's lost it's luster...I'm NOT talking about winning % someone else was and I said it's a pretty baseless stat overall. If Jimmy balls out the rest of the yr and looks like an elite QB BUT we lose, I'm not gonna say well he sucks because we didn't win. Clearly it was because of something else.

"And lastly to finish up how silly your Alex Smith comparison was...Alex's win % with us was 51%. With the KC wins he's at 58%"

whole career
I'll see your wrong and raise you 2 wrongs. Sounds like a poker game.

Originally posted by sacniner:
I'll take the Niners playmakers, and the true playmaker in Kyle, over what Murray has any day.

Think it's kind of BS that people s**t on other players to support Jimmy.

Deebo is a pro bowl level talent, Aiyuk is a pro bowl level talent that may have HoF level talent, Kittle is a hall of famer, Mostert is elite and Kyle Shanahan is the best offensive mind in the NFL. No need to diss any of those guys to compliment Jimmy. Sure we've had injuries, but those guys are usually there. Kyle is always there

It's so stupid...Jimmy doesn't have the best WR in Nuk so it's not fair! Wahh BUT Jimmy is still better lol. Imo a great QB MAKES players around them better, NOT needing great players to make them better. Bringing up the AZ WRs acting like they're some great group then s**tting on what we have is a complete joke as well...outside of Nuk, who gives a s**t. If only Jimmy had And Isabella, 37 yr old Fitz, or Kirk lol please.

Our playmakers are so bad that all Jimmy has to do is throw the ball near the LOS for them to eat up YAC. Poor Jimmy

s**tting on the rest of the roster to prop up Jimmy is ridiculous. This is a damn good team and he's part of that. IMO our playmakers are NOT holding back some untapped potential with our QB.

He is who he is, a good not great QB that runs Kyle's scheme the way Kyle wants to run it with him.

Talk about crying in your beer. All this back and forth about the QB is such bullcrap. The bottom line is this: When JG is the starting QB this team wins many more games than it loses. The complaints boil down to "We can't keep winning this way. We aren't throwing enough deep balls. Jimmy isn't accurate enough." etc. etc. Jeez, take a step back and look around. This team made it to the friggin Superbowl last season, with JG
as the QB. But that's not even close to good enough for some of you. Check your expectations.
[ Edited by eastie on Oct 28, 2020 at 9:26 AM ]

b******t, elguapo was bringing up a handful of teams that he feels has better play makers and how we don't have a WR1 etc.

Aiyuk is looking promising, but no the jury is still out on whether we have that #1 receiver FINALLY. we need the rest of the season to play out to know for sure or have a better idea imo. and,their entire points were still alluding to EXPERIENCE and LONGEVITY versus the likes of those other teams/playmakers they mentioned.

at least that was my impression. obviously no one is going to take anything away from our current playmakers and their talents
[ Edited by SkyZer0 on Oct 28, 2020 at 9:27 AM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I'll see your wrong and raise you 2 wrongs. Sounds like a poker game.

you should fold while you still can
"And lastly to finish up how silly your Alex Smith comparison was...Alex's win % with us was 51%. With the KC wins he's at 58%"

whole career

Guess Jimmy is better than drew Brees who's winning % is 60%
Originally posted by eastie:
Originally posted by sacniner:
I'll take the Niners playmakers, and the true playmaker in Kyle, over what Murray has any day.

Think it's kind of BS that people s**t on other players to support Jimmy.

Deebo is a pro bowl level talent, Aiyuk is a pro bowl level talent that may have HoF level talent, Kittle is a hall of famer, Mostert is elite and Kyle Shanahan is the best offensive mind in the NFL. No need to diss any of those guys to compliment Jimmy. Sure we've had injuries, but those guys are usually there. Kyle is always there

It's so stupid...Jimmy doesn't have the best WR in Nuk so it's not fair! Wahh BUT Jimmy is still better lol. Imo a great QB MAKES players around them better, NOT needing great players to make them better. Bringing up the AZ WRs acting like they're some great group then s**tting on what we have is a complete joke as well...outside of Nuk, who gives a s**t. If only Jimmy had And Isabella, 37 yr old Fitz, or Kirk lol please.

Our playmakers are so bad that all Jimmy has to do is throw the ball near the LOS for them to eat up YAC. Poor Jimmy

s**tting on the rest of the roster to prop up Jimmy is ridiculous. This is a damn good team and he's part of that. IMO our playmakers are NOT holding back some untapped potential with our QB.

He is who he is, a good not great QB that runs Kyle's scheme the way Kyle wants to run it with him.

Talk about crying in your beer. All this back and forth about the QB is such bullcrap. The bottom line is this: When JG is the starting QB this team wins many more games than it loses. The complaints boil down to "We can't keep winning this way. We aren't throwing enough deep balls. Jimmy isn't accurate enough." etc. etc. Jeez, take a step back and look around. This team made it to the friggin Superbowl last season, with JG
as the QB. But that's not even close to good enough for some of you. Check your expectations.

great post.

if winning like this with Jimmy is unsustainable long-term, then let's see, shall we?
Share 49ersWebzone