There are 96 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Originally posted by 49ers808:

To be fair, on the second one, the LB does peel off sneakily and it couldve been an ugly INT instead.

The first one, I just don't like the decision and I hate the mechanics. Kittle is open but there are three dudes around him, so it has to be a very precise throw. There is a RB open in the flat and Aiyuk is about to make a double move on his guy. There is also a checkdown open. The pressure, while there, is picked up by the olineman. Same flat-footed throw with arm-only action that ends up a mile away and behind. This is a ten yard past LoS throw !

On a positive.....the first throw shows Aiyuk has the ability to be a vertical threat. With his speed and route running......only a matter of time....
Originally posted by jonnydel:
That's the problem I'm having with Madrid right now. He's so Grant Cohn. He's not looking at the overall or even comparing film to other top QB's. I watch Brees, Brady, whoever else might be popping that week, I watch film literally as a past time. If people think Jimmy is the only QB that has some of these plays or ignore things like, there was a stunt that looked like it's coming right at Jimmy on the INT so, no, he's not going to wait for the wheel route, it's just silly. This is what happens when you zero in on one aspect of the game, like routes vs coverage, don't look at what was happening in the pocket, what the situation was, what happened before, what happens after, some people look at everything in a vaccum. I'm cutting together my breakdown vid and I'm continually pointing out how one play is built off the previous play. 33-6 win and Madrid is talking about receivers getting mad...lol Ok...
I've seen Michael Thomas flailing his arms when he thinks he's won a route because he didn't get targeted. Are we putting Brees on the hot seat?

Madrid is a clear Jimmy hater. But, in this case, the stunt was picked up, and even if Jimmy felt like he needed to let that go, he could've followed through instead of using his arm only. His throwing mechanics are notoriously ugly (I think even that dude Brett Kollman called them out) and they're uglier when its a bad throw. That throw had to be on the money to Kittle or checked down imo. It was neither. He rushed it big-time even though he has a quick release.

The second one is a lot less ugly than he thinks though. That LB was waiting to peel off and get a pick, and with blitz coming, it would be very difficult for jimmy to change his direction and lob it across his body to Deebo. It was probably for the best it's an incomplete pass.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Oh God here we go again with the misreads!! Every QBs misses reads every single game, even the elites do. Name one QB that hasn't missed a read in a game ever in his career? Nitpicking at it's finest.

That's the problem I'm having with Madrid right now. He's so Grant Cohn. He's not looking at the overall or even comparing film to other top QB's. I watch Brees, Brady, whoever else might be popping that week, I watch film literally as a past time. If people think Jimmy is the only QB that has some of these plays or ignore things like, there was a stunt that looked like it's coming right at Jimmy on the INT so, no, he's not going to wait for the wheel route, it's just silly. This is what happens when you zero in on one aspect of the game, like routes vs coverage, don't look at what was happening in the pocket, what the situation was, what happened before, what happens after, some people look at everything in a vaccum. I'm cutting together my breakdown vid and I'm continually pointing out how one play is built off the previous play. 33-6 win and Madrid is talking about receivers getting mad...lol Ok...
I've seen Michael Thomas flailing his arms when he thinks he's won a route because he didn't get targeted. Are we putting Brees on the hot seat?

why arent you calling his ass out on twitter then?
I'm telling y'all, fantasy football ruined football overall. People are now into flashy plays and individual performances instead of a team performance. Before fantasy football, people were satisfied with non flashy pocket QBs, now everyone drools over mobile QBs with flashy abilities that can gained them point with their legs to. Last I checked, boring pocket passers are still winning games as much as flashy mobile QBs. I guess it's more about entertainment for some than winning.

Wins are a team stat, not a QB stat.

If that wasn't the case, there wouldn't be a QB who owns a 63% career win over last 10 years, who would have his job taken twice after posting some of his best years.

This quarterback has a 58% career winning % and was often crapped on this very board. In comparison, Drew Brees has a 59% career winning %.
No one in their right mind would say this QB is in the same realm as Drew Brees, though.

Do you want to guess what this QB's name is ? Hint: he was a mobile QB.

The teams that replaced this QB could've just sat back and said, hes a winner, why replace something that works, winning % yadda yadda. But they wanted to get better, and both of these teams would go further in the playoffs than they've done with this QB, with the replacement QB that was waiting in the wings. And it's not like this QB was making close to 30 million.

I wouldn't considered Alex Smith as a mobile QB. Before his injury, he was the same type of QB as Jimmy G was before his injury too. They could move around in the pocket but wouldn't kill a team with their legs.
  • Jiks
  • Veteran
I'm telling y'all, fantasy football ruined football overall. People are now into flashy plays and individual performances instead of a team performance. Before fantasy football, people were satisfied with non flashy pocket QBs, now everyone drools over mobile QBs with flashy abilities that can gained them point with their legs to. Last I checked, boring pocket passers are still winning games as much as flashy mobile QBs. I guess it's more about entertainment for some than winning.

If that wasn't the case, there wouldn't be a QB who owns a 63% career win over last 10 years, who would have his job taken twice after posting some of his best years.

This quarterback has a 58% career winning % and was often crapped on this very board. In comparison, Drew Brees has a 59% career winning %.
No one in their right mind would say this QB is in the same realm as Drew Brees, though.

The teams that replaced this QB could've just sat back and said, hes a winner, why replace something that works, winning % yadda yadda. But they wanted to get better, and both of these teams would go further in the playoffs than they've done with this QB, with the replacement QB that was waiting in the wings. And it's not like this QB was making close to 30 million.

I wouldn't considered Alex Smith as a mobile QB. Before his injury, he was the same type of QB as Jimmy G was before his injury too. They could move around in the pocket but wouldn't kill a team with their legs.
Wat?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3szXpKYCVo
Originally posted by Jiks:
Wat?!

Read the first post before mines. He wanted me to guessed which QB he was talking about and I thought it was A.Smith.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3szXpKYCVo

Lol..one play? Was that his forte? Were teams game planning against him running the ball too? C'mon now. T.Brady had a TD run a few years back, even P.Manning had a TD run, does that mean they're mobile QBs too?
Im sorry. Madrid is a f**king retard who knows nothing. Yeah i said it.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Im sorry. Madrid is a f**king retard who knows nothing. Yeah i said it.

i'm sure he knows football, he's just insanely biased that he comes off stupid. he's not objective.

Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Wow. It's seriously like a broken record for this poster every week and I completely disagree with this person's stance on Garoppolo. Go ahead, keep putting limitations on a QB like him - keep on doing it because it's obvious you'll probably continue to do it. Your posts sound like you have him all figured out. It's that very fact that's truly annoying with posts like these - putting limitations on Garoppolo, jumping to your already-made conclusions on him, and then broadcasting them very often in this thread.

Let me ask you this: Have you watched him play closely every NFL game he's started going back to the two he played in NE? If so, and I'm assuming you have to draw such conclusions on him, are his overall talents as a QB (all the intangibles in addition to the actual QB play itself) not readily apparent to you? Perhaps they aren't.

No, he doesn't have a rocket arm like Mahomes...no, he doesn't throw the bomb like Wilson...no, he can't scramble like Lamar Jackson...no, he isn't 23 years old like Joe Burrow...yes, he does make the occasional head-scratching pass...but also yes, he does run this offense well and also within the framework of the scheme and what Shanahan wants to do...yes, he does make clutch 3rd Down throws...yes, he's shown the ability to keep this team in every single game, including comeback wins and even on "off" games for him & the team...yes, he can make most of the throws and looking forward to him showing that more...yes, he's shown he's a competitor and will do what it takes to keep drives alive, including the occasional scramble like yesterday...yes, he shows true leadership on this team and his teammates respect him and go to bat for him at the first opportunity...and yes, he's proven to lead this team to the most important stat of all, wins - counting yesterday, the Niners have won 75% of his starts. In a league as tough as this, winning in 3/4 of Garoppolo's starts tells me a lot, in addition to what I've observed in closely watching him play. And when I say that, I mean going back and re-watching multiple times games I've recorded - I've recorded all of his starts for this team. Of course he needs to improve and I truly believe he will. Guys can improve in their late '20s...I've seen it before and I've seen it in a current player, Ryan Tannehill, who now is 32. Yet despite the need for improvement, he's still a very good NFL QB in my book - to me, that almost goes without saying.

Your first sentence, "Those of us who criticize don't hate Jimmy and most admit he's doing a decent job." Is that supposed to be a compliment? A decent job? Almost like, "it's passable I guess." Those kind of almost backhanded compliments are what seem like an attempt to minimize what Garoppolo has done for this team in helping turn things around. Then, you go on to say, "I know JG is good at what he does." Well, what is it - is he "decent" or is he a "good" QB? He's very good IMO and sometimes excellent but no one is saying he's elite at this point - I don't use the word "elite" often to describe QB play unless your name is Brees, Wilson, etc.

Maybe it's just me but I hate it when people put such definitive limitations on a QB with the obvious overall talent as a guy like Garoppolo. Like, "he's 28, this is it for him...what you see is what you get." I'll never get that.

After seeing and vividly remembering quality, clutch QB play from Montana and then Young (when he was 29 I believe he became the starter)...and then seeing all the more recent poor, no-chance-at-winning QB play from a revolving door of guys like Dorsey, Pickett, Rattay, O'Sullivan, Troy Smith and others, I'm glad this team has a quality QB in Garoppolo that gives them a chance to win in every single game. Not at all saying he's in Montana or Young's class (have to put out that disclaimer in this thread).

Even in this injury-filled season - probably the worst I've seen in watching this team - Garoppolo has bounced back from his own injury and poor play. Now, just hope his injury keeps healing and he does improve in some areas of his game. So far, he's responded to the challenge of these last two games and let's see how he and the team respond during this next very tough five-game stretch.

Excellent. Completely agree!
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Oh God here we go again with the misreads!! Every QBs misses reads every single game, even the elites do. Name one QB that hasn't missed a read in a game ever in his career? Nitpicking at it's finest.

why arent you calling his ass out on twitter then?

a few reasons:
1. 160 characters doesn't facilitate true discussion
2. It'll devolve into something personal, i think. He tried to get traffic on his stuff through comments on my videos last year. He tried to call me out on some things that I was, "wrong" about. What I mean is, I used different nomenclature for a couple things, he went back and forth with me in the comments, getting pretty snarky, about it, he also tried to one up me on some videos, like that I wasn't using the term, "zebra" for deep 3rd corners splitting the verticals. Just because I omit some terms 99.9% of the population doesn't care about and explain it simply, doesn't mean I don't know it... stuff like that he did for about 6 weeks in a row while he was building more of an audience. He got real snarky with me in the back and forths and so I deleted a few of them. So, I just try and stay away from him.
Originally posted by eastie:
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:
Wow. It's seriously like a broken record for this poster every week and I completely disagree with this person's stance on Garoppolo. Go ahead, keep putting limitations on a QB like him - keep on doing it because it's obvious you'll probably continue to do it. Your posts sound like you have him all figured out. It's that very fact that's truly annoying with posts like these - putting limitations on Garoppolo, jumping to your already-made conclusions on him, and then broadcasting them very often in this thread.

Let me ask you this: Have you watched him play closely every NFL game he's started going back to the two he played in NE? If so, and I'm assuming you have to draw such conclusions on him, are his overall talents as a QB (all the intangibles in addition to the actual QB play itself) not readily apparent to you? Perhaps they aren't.

No, he doesn't have a rocket arm like Mahomes...no, he doesn't throw the bomb like Wilson...no, he can't scramble like Lamar Jackson...no, he isn't 23 years old like Joe Burrow...yes, he does make the occasional head-scratching pass...but also yes, he does run this offense well and also within the framework of the scheme and what Shanahan wants to do...yes, he does make clutch 3rd Down throws...yes, he's shown the ability to keep this team in every single game, including comeback wins and even on "off" games for him & the team...yes, he can make most of the throws and looking forward to him showing that more...yes, he's shown he's a competitor and will do what it takes to keep drives alive, including the occasional scramble like yesterday...yes, he shows true leadership on this team and his teammates respect him and go to bat for him at the first opportunity...and yes, he's proven to lead this team to the most important stat of all, wins - counting yesterday, the Niners have won 75% of his starts. In a league as tough as this, winning in 3/4 of Garoppolo's starts tells me a lot, in addition to what I've observed in closely watching him play. And when I say that, I mean going back and re-watching multiple times games I've recorded - I've recorded all of his starts for this team. Of course he needs to improve and I truly believe he will. Guys can improve in their late '20s...I've seen it before and I've seen it in a current player, Ryan Tannehill, who now is 32. Yet despite the need for improvement, he's still a very good NFL QB in my book - to me, that almost goes without saying.

Your first sentence, "Those of us who criticize don't hate Jimmy and most admit he's doing a decent job." Is that supposed to be a compliment? A decent job? Almost like, "it's passable I guess." Those kind of almost backhanded compliments are what seem like an attempt to minimize what Garoppolo has done for this team in helping turn things around. Then, you go on to say, "I know JG is good at what he does." Well, what is it - is he "decent" or is he a "good" QB? He's very good IMO and sometimes excellent but no one is saying he's elite at this point - I don't use the word "elite" often to describe QB play unless your name is Brees, Wilson, etc.

Maybe it's just me but I hate it when people put such definitive limitations on a QB with the obvious overall talent as a guy like Garoppolo. Like, "he's 28, this is it for him...what you see is what you get." I'll never get that.

After seeing and vividly remembering quality, clutch QB play from Montana and then Young (when he was 29 I believe he became the starter)...and then seeing all the more recent poor, no-chance-at-winning QB play from a revolving door of guys like Dorsey, Pickett, Rattay, O'Sullivan, Troy Smith and others, I'm glad this team has a quality QB in Garoppolo that gives them a chance to win in every single game. Not at all saying he's in Montana or Young's class (have to put out that disclaimer in this thread).

Even in this injury-filled season - probably the worst I've seen in watching this team - Garoppolo has bounced back from his own injury and poor play. Now, just hope his injury keeps healing and he does improve in some areas of his game. So far, he's responded to the challenge of these last two games and let's see how he and the team respond during this next very tough five-game stretch.

Excellent. Completely agree!

I think I've just seen too much incredibly poor QB play in my time. It makes me appreciate a guy like Garoppolo just that much more - a guy who can definitely help elevate the play of others around him (saw a lot of that right out of the gate during those five starts in 2017 with the WRs he was throwing to).

The stakes just rose a little with the news about Deebo being out for these next couple of tough games. Need a guy like Bourne to really step up now and catch everything he can get two hands on. And need to see Garoppolo respond to the challenge.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by genus49:
Come on NY...is this what you've been reduced to lol?

Why do people keep bringing up PFF grades(knowing how flawed they are for OLmen?)

That's mistake #1.
Mistake #2....you know very well the issues with our OL being discussed in this thread are related to pass pro.

McGlinchey has a 62 grade for pass protection..and that was after two weeks of being graded above 70.

Know where his pass blocking grade puts him? 61st.

Schraeder in 2016 was graded as 76.8 pass blocking.

For the record here is how our OL is graded by PFF currently.

Just so we can clear up any myths or misinformation...

Couldn't get the headers but first grade is overall, second grade is pass pro, 3rd is run blocking

It's not a pretty picture and it still doesn't really capture just how bad they were first few games. We already know a big flaw in their grading system - if an offensive lineman doesn't put his hands on a defender it doesn't matter if that defender gets a strip sack the OLman will not get a negative grade against him for that play.

So we could literally have a play where the ball is snapped to Jimmy, and our OL fan out but not touch anyone and let 4 rushers go in untouched(hyperbole obviously) and no negative dings would happen on PFF for them.

They only grade positive or negative once the lineman get their hands on someone because then they can understandable give credit or blame for that battle.

And we certainly know a lot of our issues were communication issues which is when you see more unblocked guys coming in.

Genus you yourself bring up PFF all the time. You clearly pay for it. Now you're saying it's flawed?

Is McG not getting better? Did Brunskill not stuff Donald? How often was Jimmy on his ass yesterday?

How good was Schraeder after Kyle left? Scheme/QB play improve OL without question.

Only an 18.5 % pressure rate vs one of the top pressure rate teams in football yesterday, toss in Jimmy 2.59 TT which is on par with guys like brady and Rivers.

I'm so sick of the excuses of every damn QB we've had here...same s**t with Kap same s**t with Smith. Blah blah blah. We see QBs every damn week with less around them do their thing.

We're winning so it's good. Doesn't mean we can't throw some criticism at him.

Their OL rankings are flawed yes. Every time I bring them up I say as much. If you're going to use them in context of this thread then let's do it...but McGlinchey's run blocking doesn't mean squat when we're talking about Jimmy being concerned about his pass protection holding up to make some of these longer developing plays happen.

If we want to have a legit conversation then let's do it. Let's not post stuff that's not relevant cuz you know the things that matter paint a different picture than what you want to paint.
a few reasons:
1. 160 characters doesn't facilitate true discussion
2. It'll devolve into something personal, i think. He tried to get traffic on his stuff through comments on my videos last year. He tried to call me out on some things that I was, "wrong" about. What I mean is, I used different nomenclature for a couple things, he went back and forth with me in the comments, getting pretty snarky, about it, he also tried to one up me on some videos, like that I wasn't using the term, "zebra" for deep 3rd corners splitting the verticals. Just because I omit some terms 99.9% of the population doesn't care about and explain it simply, doesn't mean I don't know it... stuff like that he did for about 6 weeks in a row while he was building more of an audience. He got real snarky with me in the back and forths and so I deleted a few of them. So, I just try and stay away from him.

wow, he seems like a dick.
Share 49erswebzone