LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 338 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Can you touch on why Shanahan's ATL team was more of a vertical deep ball team? throughout your film watching when Shanny was in ATL, compared to now? touching on it from a schematic, as well as personnel standpoint; which you can explain and be thorough with much better than I can.

Deep accuracy is or was one of Ryan's strong points. Julio Jones excelled at getting open deep.

Well if these are the two reasons, then jonny saying that things like: "Kyle believes in staying on schedule which means ball control passing and running the ball" is the equivalent of coach speak. I truly believe Kyle plays to the strengths of the team. Having Jimmy repeatedly wind up and throw deep is not putting this team in its best position to be successful. That is not a "this is exactly how Kyle wants to operate" situation as much as it is a "Kyle is doing the best with the cast of players he has"......which is what good coaches do.

But Kyle has led top tier offense before, so I find it super hard to believe that he would choose to not run that type of offense if his personnel allowed for it.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Oct 19, 2020 at 10:34 AM ]
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Does that rule apply just for Jimmy? Mahomes had like 2 of those TDs the other week and nobody complained.

I think it's pretty stupid myself but Jimmy is executing the play. Posting that stuff like that with "great ball placement" is super passive aggressive and lame.

Like is that where we're at now? Bashing the QB for doing his job properly just because it's easy?

yup, mahomes does that all the time and no one seems to criticize him for it

he also doesn't throw 75% of his attempts for under 10 yards too.

Comparing what Mahomes does to what Jimmy did last night is silly.

You know very well the comparison wasn't Jimmy vs Mahomes. It was nobody gives Mahomes sh*t for getting those easy forward handoffs for big gains or TDs.

Just because he airs the ball out like crazy doesn't change the fact that those plays are done by Mahomes and any other QB.

There are things to complain about with Jimmy but dogging him for executing the game plan isn't it.

And btw when Mahomes was hurt last year he was limited and not as effective as he was when healthy. Andy Reid called plays accordingly. That's just smart football.

Yeah no one b***hes about Mahomes shovel passes because the rest of the time he's pushing the ball downfield. They're not close to comparable as players go. Total cherry picking there.

Let's also stop pretending this passing offense is a vertical pass offense even if Jimmy doesn't have a sore ankle

It's not dogging him for anything, I've stated he played well given what the offensive play calls were...

What I'm saying is csn we can say that's the way Kyle wants it or maybe he's just playing to his current QBs strengths.

Teams will start coming downfield and take away the short stuff. Will Jimmy be able to throw it downfield accurately and efficiently? I sure hope so, because if we want to make it to the playoffs we're gonna need that.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
I don't analyze and criticize every play. There will be some good throws and there will be some good catches. There will also be some drops. Every game has those no matter who the receivers and QB are. I prefer to look at the overall body of work and that tells me more about who a player is. It 's obvious to me that either Jimmy can't or Kyle doesn't believe he can consistently throw the long passes whether down the middle or the deep sideline throw. If he felt he could, why wouldn't he open things up and let him throw those passes more often. He tried one yesterday at the end of the first half when an INT wouldn't hurt them. It was a pretty good pass but the coverage was too tight for a completion. Could have been PI. Don't use the ankle as an excuse because the Niners didn't try those throws often last year either.

I'm not going to take anything away from Jimmy's performance yesterday. He executed the game plan perfectly but I didn't see ant great throws that made me change my mind that he's anything more than a good QB, not elite or top 10. The line blocked well and the running game was working so he could just throw those short passes and move the team downfield. That's fine when you have the lead and are controlling the game. It's not so good if you fall behind and have to come from 2 or 3 scores down late in the game.

This has been discussed ad nauseum and my issue is that you seem to be stuck on lack of ability from Jimmy G to this: we are not a deep ball team. We're just not. Our shots are calculated, scheme plays. Kyle believes in staying on schedule which means ball control passing and running the ball. It was Bill Walsh, it was Mike Holmgren, it was Mike Shanahan.

He attacks the LB's above any other group. Then, when you have DB's creeping up to help those LB's, you hit the big play.

You could make the case for it being on Jimmy if any if the other 3 QB's threw deep more often. Beathard has, arguably, the strongest deep ball arm and isn't particularly good at the short game and we only saw him launching it deep when we were down by 3 scores during our losing streak in year 1. Even then, it wasn't often and it was to Goodwin.

Can you touch on why Shanahan's ATL team was more of a vertical deep ball team? throughout your film watching when Shanny was in ATL, compared to now? touching on it from a schematic, as well as personnel standpoint; which you can explain and be thorough with much better than I can.

I think what we've seen is that Kyle is capable of adjusting his scheme to his personnel. The proof is how he designed his offense to fit RG3. With Matt Ryan in ATL and prime Julio, it made sense to use Ryan's arm to get it to Julio downfield.

that's what ive noticed; how many times he's adjusted his scheme over and over that his personnel fits into. I assume he drafted Hurd to be that "big body" guy like Julio for red-zone threatening purposes specifically. just hasn't panned out with injuries.
I think what we've seen is that Kyle is capable of adjusting his scheme to his personnel. The proof is how he designed his offense to fit RG3. With Matt Ryan in ATL and prime Julio, it made sense to use Ryan's arm to get it to Julio downfield.

And this is precisely what I just said. Kyle is a good coach so he plays to the strengths of the team. It has nothing to do with his desire to run an offense this specific way, which is what jonny and some others are trying to say. I agree with you thl.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Oct 19, 2020 at 10:37 AM ]
Originally posted by grapesofrathman:
I can't find a clip of Jimmy's "OH YEAH" just before the 2-min warning in the 2nd quarter when the Rams jumped into the neutral zone, the right side of the line reacted to it to draw the NZ flag, yet the refs were still asleep for like an additional 3 seconds before stopping the play.

was that jimmy who said that? i couldnt tell, hella funny though
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

Deep accuracy is or was one of Ryan's strong points. Julio Jones excelled at getting open deep.

Well if these are the two reasons, then jonny saying that things like: "Kyle believes in staying on schedule which means ball control passing and running the ball" is the equivalent of coach speak. I truly believe Kyle plays to the strengths of the team. Having Jimmy repeatedly wind up and throw deep is not putting this team in its best position to be successful. That is not a "this is exactly how Kyle wants to operate" situation as much as it is a "Kyle is doing the best with the cast of players he has"......which is what good coaches do.

But Kyle has led top tier offense before, so I find it super hard to believe that he would choose to not run that type of offense if his personnel allowed for it.

that is EXACTLY how I feel. I am aware Matt Ryan is a better QB than Jimmy due to experience and some physical traits, but I find it hard to believe if we had a guy like Julio (or had Julio) that Jimmy wouldn't be throwing the deep ball at a much higher rate/more often than what we're seeing now.
You know very well the comparison wasn't Jimmy vs Mahomes. It was nobody gives Mahomes sh*t for getting those easy forward handoffs for big gains or TDs.

Just because he airs the ball out like crazy doesn't change the fact that those plays are done by Mahomes and any other QB.

There are things to complain about with Jimmy but dogging him for executing the game plan isn't it.

And btw when Mahomes was hurt last year he was limited and not as effective as he was when healthy. Andy Reid called plays accordingly. That's just smart football.

I agree with you a lot. But on the flipside, this type of game should not be glorified either. Jimmy's throw to Kittle was outstanding and a major reason we won. He should get all the praise for that. It was a huge moment. But like I said in a previous post, a huge majority of Jimmy's success yesterday came from simple passes that anyone should be able to complete.

Kyle had a gameplan, and Jimmy executed it very well for the most part. That's really all we can ask at this point. If this is the same gameplan we have all season long, there is a clear problem.

I'm not glorifying the game yesterday. He wasn't superman. He executed the plays, plays that for the large part are easy for any QB to execute.

However he also had some impressive moments, still playing on an ankle that isn't 100% and in key moments. That's one thing that Jimmy has done fairly consistently in his playing career. It's not always pretty and at times it's scheme/lucky but results cannot be argued, which is Jimmy tends to come up big on those 3rd/4th down moments.

At some point you have to tip you hat to the guy and realize however he seems to get it done, it's getting done.

Obviously the Dolphins game was a disaster and he didn't do that well in the Arizona game either but IMO that game is a hard read with Deebo/Aiyuk out and Kittle being hurt most of the game(and yes I remember how Kittle got hurt)

I understand there are people who don't want a QB who just carries out a gameplan because when gameplans aren't great things don't look as good. People want their Mahomes/Wilson QB who can play great within the gameplan but also make spectacular plays off script. And yeah I'd love that as well.

But my biggest thing is if Jimmy is showing ENOUGH to win games fairly consistently then why do we want to try and replace him with an unknown? Yes the excitement of unknown and potential of being even better is enticing. But finding those elite QBs isn't easy.

IMO unless Jimmy plays like the Dolphins Jimmy consistently over the course of the rest of this season then moving away from him is a big mistake. People need to forget the $ he's making. End of the day if he's winning then he's worth it.

Now if we want to grab a guy in the 2nd/3rd round to groom? Hell yeah, sign me up. Because then you get to see them both in practice/preseason and if Jimmy gets hurt then you get a guy who can steal his job it's an easy decision.

Outright getting rid of Jimmy and going with an unknown doesn't make sense to me.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by All22:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Yeah but something to keep in mind about YAC - is a player can only get YAC if the ball is thrown in the right spot and while the player is in motion. It's one of jimmies best traits - putting his guys in position to get more yards after the catch

Yeah that's just not true at all. A player can get YAC as long as they catch the ball, no matter where it is, and turn it into a positive. Better placement equals MORE YAC sure, but let's not pretend screens and passes at or behind the los are more difficult than it is

Don't get spoiled. During the Harbaugh years we couldn't complete a screen to save our lives.

Lol why reply to a guy who doesn't believe ball placement on a screen/dump off/slant etc doesn't have a massive importance on YAC lol the guy obviously doesn't understand football

I don't understand football coming from the guy making a statement that a player "can only" get YAC if the ball is thrown in the right spot with a player in motion. Also stating that I don't believe ball placement doesn't have massive importance on YAC. I addressed both in my original comment. Here it is again for you to read again and tell me where I don't understand football with what I said and then tell me how what I said is wrong. I'll wait
  • thl408

And this is precisely what I just said. Kyle is a good coach so he plays to the strengths of the team. It has nothing to do with his desire to run an offense this specific way, which is what jonny and some others are trying to say. I agree with you thl.

I think the foundation of his offense is a constant - outside zone, playaction to set up explosives, attack mismatches using multiple personnel groupings. This isn't some profound formula, but I think that's Kyle's offensive foundation in a nutshell. The specifics in how he does it will vary based on the roster.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Yeah but something to keep in mind about YAC - is a player can only get YAC if the ball is thrown in the right spot and while the player is in motion. It's one of jimmies best traits - putting his guys in position to get more yards after the catch

great placement by Jimmy

before anyone get's upset...loved the placement for the Kittle TD, the 3rd down completion to Trent, Aiyuk TD, and I think there was a out route he hit Bourne on that showed he's got the arm strength (or at the very least can push off that back foot).

Now if we want to grab a guy in the 2nd/3rd round to groom? Hell yeah, sign me up. Because then you get to see them both in practice/preseason and if Jimmy gets hurt then you get a guy who can steal his job it's an easy decision.

Outright getting rid of Jimmy and going with an unknown doesn't make sense to me.

But see this is what most posters who want an upgrade think. I would never advocate to get rid of Jimmy and throw a rookie in there. I dont think most are saying that either. That is why seeing the common Jimmy defense being that we cant just put an unknown in there to replace him is kind of an odd response. Only the overly loud and obnoxious Jimmy haters are saying that. Most of us just want an upgrade. And we dont need to dump Jimmy to look for an upgrade. It can be done at the same time as Jimmy is our QB.

I still believe Jimmy can make incremental improvements to various aspects of his game, and that alone would be the upgrade at QB that we need/want. But we need to see it.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Belicheat will take away the short throws and wr runs and make Jimmy throw it down field. Let's if he is able.
But see this is what most posters who want an upgrade think. I would never advocate to get rid of Jimmy and throw a rookie in there. I dont think most are saying that either. That is why seeing the common Jimmy defense being that we cant just put an unknown in there to replace him is kind of an odd response. Only the overly loud and obnoxious Jimmy haters are saying that. Most of us just want an upgrade. And we dont need to dump Jimmy to look for an upgrade. It can be done at the same time as Jimmy is our QB.

I still believe Jimmy can make incremental improvements to various aspects of his game, and that alone would be the upgrade at QB that we need/want. But we need to see it.

The bold is what I've been saying. Garoppolo can and will (I believe) continue to improve certain aspects of his game. Yet he's already very good and already has some excellent playoff and SB experience under his belt to grow and improve upon. Yes, he's 28 years old - doesn't at all mean he can't continue to get better as a starting QB. I believe he's got the overall makeup and QB talent to do so.

I'm not really into comparing QBs but look at a guy like Ryan Tannehill, who's 32. He's started a lot more games and has been on some very bad Miami teams but I watched him somewhat during those Miami days and I've recently watched him very closely on the Titans. That guy has definitely improved and seems to be getting better and better. Yes, being on a good team helps, but he's just a better all-around QB from what I've seen. He's 32, but if he stays healthy and continues to play as a very good NFL QB, he can give the Titans another what, eight years (or more) of very good QB play and thus maybe a good chance at the playoffs every single year.

That's kind of similar to what I see in Garoppolo. A QB that will continue to get better - as a QB and in this Shanahan scheme. If he does, imagine what that would do for this franchise this year and the many years ahead.
Jimmy carved up Beli's D in practice while with the Pats. Look for him to build off of this performance and look even better on Sunday.
Originally posted by 9erguy:
Jimmy carved up Beli's D in practice while with the Pats. Look for him to build off of this performance and look even better on Sunday.

i wonder of he implements the same strategy he used against mcvay in the sb
Share 49ersWebzone