LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 315 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by genus49:
You know very well the comparison wasn't Jimmy vs Mahomes. It was nobody gives Mahomes sh*t for getting those easy forward handoffs for big gains or TDs.

Just because he airs the ball out like crazy doesn't change the fact that those plays are done by Mahomes and any other QB.

There are things to complain about with Jimmy but dogging him for executing the game plan isn't it.

And btw when Mahomes was hurt last year he was limited and not as effective as he was when healthy. Andy Reid called plays accordingly. That's just smart football.

this
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
I agree with you a lot. But on the flipside, this type of game should not be glorified either. Jimmy's throw to Kittle was outstanding and a major reason we won. He should get all the praise for that. It was a huge moment. But like I said in a previous post, a huge majority of Jimmy's success yesterday came from simple passes that anyone should be able to complete.

Kyle had a gameplan, and Jimmy executed it very well for the most part. That's really all we can ask at this point. If this is the same gameplan we have all season long, there is a clear problem.

no one is giving praise to jimmy for it, lol

we are talking about his other throws
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
which is why i only compared the shovel passes

Cool our QB is on par with Mahomes in shovel passes
I agree with you a lot. But on the flipside, this type of game should not be glorified either. Jimmy's throw to Kittle was outstanding and a major reason we won. He should get all the praise for that. It was a huge moment. But like I said in a previous post, a huge majority of Jimmy's success yesterday came from simple passes that anyone should be able to complete.

Kyle had a gameplan, and Jimmy executed it very well for the most part. That's really all we can ask at this point. If this is the same gameplan we have all season long, there is a clear problem.

no one is giving praise to jimmy for it, lol

we are talking about his other throws

Well, aside from the Kittle one, I dont know what other throws you are referring to. Jimmy played fine yesterday and executed the gameplan. But I didnt see much outside of the Kittle throw that was really worthy of gassing up.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by miked1978:
Some of you guys want to poop on Jimmy no matter what and get mad when other 49ers fans enjoy him doing good. On his good days Jimmy is a borderline top 10 QB in this league. Will he get overrated by some 49ers fans? Hell yeah what fanbase doesn't overrate their players?

The game plan last night was to control the line of scrimmage and not make Jimmy throw a lot of balls downfield considering his ankle situation. It worked brilliantly but now some fans are upset bc we didn't throw the ball downfield enough. Surely you guys aren't the same fans who complained about the Super Bowl and not sticking to what is working? The plays worked and got us a nice big lead. In fact the game probably would have been a blowout if Mostert didn't get hurt.

Last nights game plan worked. In fact the only thing that didn't work was the runs with McKinnon.

Good post. I think the ankle and the OL were major factors in Kyle drawing up the gameplan he did. Kyle knew Jimmy's ankle would affect downfield throws. Kyle knew the more times he asked the OL to pass block on conventional dropbacks, it increased the chances for drive killing sacks. So he reduced the risks.

and alas, no sacks.
He throws the short passes well and also the intermediate passes in the middle of the field. He doesn't throw the outs as well as Montana did. Jimmy is not great with the deep ball, but neither was Montana.

Jimmy is in that Jeff Garcia/Alex Smith range.
I think strictly from a Jimmy standpoint, that last night was difficult to truly evaluate.

The Kittle TD pass was an awesome strike. Great play, great throw...which actually made me audibly say GREAT THROW JIMMY when it happened.

But the gameplan was evident that Kyle was trying to minimize the need for long dropbacks due to blocking concerns and Jimmy staying healthy. So in that sense, most of Jimmy's completions were very elementary throws designed to simply get rid of the ball. That is why I think Jimmy was tough to evaluate. There arent a ton of QBs in the league that couldnt repeatedly hit 4 yard screen passes with the success he did last night.

He did some good things. He also had some very off target throws again. Hopefully he can truly be 100% and help us win games moving forward. We need good Jimmy with the games coming up.

really well said. agree with all of it.
Originally posted by genus49:
You know very well the comparison wasn't Jimmy vs Mahomes. It was nobody gives Mahomes sh*t for getting those easy forward handoffs for big gains or TDs.

Just because he airs the ball out like crazy doesn't change the fact that those plays are done by Mahomes and any other QB.

There are things to complain about with Jimmy but dogging him for executing the game plan isn't it.

And btw when Mahomes was hurt last year he was limited and not as effective as he was when healthy. Andy Reid called plays accordingly. That's just smart football.

this

+2
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I don't analyze and criticize every play. There will be some good throws and there will be some good catches. There will also be some drops. Every game has those no matter who the receivers and QB are. I prefer to look at the overall body of work and that tells me more about who a player is. It 's obvious to me that either Jimmy can't or Kyle doesn't believe he can consistently throw the long passes whether down the middle or the deep sideline throw. If he felt he could, why wouldn't he open things up and let him throw those passes more often. He tried one yesterday at the end of the first half when an INT wouldn't hurt them. It was a pretty good pass but the coverage was too tight for a completion. Could have been PI. Don't use the ankle as an excuse because the Niners didn't try those throws often last year either.

I'm not going to take anything away from Jimmy's performance yesterday. He executed the game plan perfectly but I didn't see ant great throws that made me change my mind that he's anything more than a good QB, not elite or top 10. The line blocked well and the running game was working so he could just throw those short passes and move the team downfield. That's fine when you have the lead and are controlling the game. It's not so good if you fall behind and have to come from 2 or 3 scores down late in the game.

This has been discussed ad nauseum and my issue is that you seem to be stuck on lack of ability from Jimmy G to this: we are not a deep ball team. We're just not. Our shots are calculated, scheme plays. Kyle believes in staying on schedule which means ball control passing and running the ball. It was Bill Walsh, it was Mike Holmgren, it was Mike Shanahan.

He attacks the LB's above any other group. Then, when you have DB's creeping up to help those LB's, you hit the big play.

You could make the case for it being on Jimmy if any if the other 3 QB's threw deep more often. Beathard has, arguably, the strongest deep ball arm and isn't particularly good at the short game and we only saw him launching it deep when we were down by 3 scores during our losing streak in year 1. Even then, it wasn't often and it was to Goodwin.

Can you touch on why Shanahan's ATL team was more of a vertical deep ball team? throughout your film watching when Shanny was in ATL, compared to now? touching on it from a schematic, as well as personnel standpoint; which you can explain and be thorough with much better than I can.
[ Edited by SkyZer0 on Oct 19, 2020 at 10:20 AM ]
This has been discussed ad nauseum and my issue is that you seem to be stuck on lack of ability from Jimmy G to this: we are not a deep ball team. We're just not. Our shots are calculated, scheme plays. Kyle believes in staying on schedule which means ball control passing and running the ball. It was Bill Walsh, it was Mike Holmgren, it was Mike Shanahan.

He attacks the LB's above any other group. Then, when you have DB's creeping up to help those LB's, you hit the big play.

You could make the case for it being on Jimmy if any if the other 3 QB's threw deep more often. Beathard has, arguably, the strongest deep ball arm and isn't particularly good at the short game and we only saw him launching it deep when we were down by 3 scores during our losing streak in year 1. Even then, it wasn't often and it was to Goodwin.

I agree that this is Kyle's offense but I'm not sure it would be exactly the same if they had a mobile QB with a big arm. It would likely still be a big part of the offense but I'm guessing he might take more deep shots if he had that type of QB. There seem to be a lot of posters that think Kyle will open up the offense when Jimmy's ankle is fully healed but I agree with you that that's not his plans. We didn't see a wide open offense last year so why would we see it now. He's a smart coach and he knows that with Jimmy's quick release and short game accuracy that it's the best way for them to win. He's not going to risk him getting hurt trying to make him something he's not.

I still would like to see a few more deep shots t at least keep the defense honest. One or two each half might be enough, even if they weren't completed. Of course if he completes them that's even better.

Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Can you touch on why Shanahan's ATL team was more of a vertical deep ball team? throughout your film watching when Shanny was in ATL, compared to now? touching on it from a schematic, as well as personnel standpoint; which you can explain and be thorough with much better than I can.

Deep accuracy is or was one of Ryan's strong points. Julio Jones excelled at getting open deep.
I think strictly from a Jimmy standpoint, that last night was difficult to truly evaluate.

The Kittle TD pass was an awesome strike. Great play, great throw...which actually made me audibly say GREAT THROW JIMMY when it happened.

But the gameplan was evident that Kyle was trying to minimize the need for long dropbacks due to blocking concerns and Jimmy staying healthy. So in that sense, most of Jimmy's completions were very elementary throws designed to simply get rid of the ball. That is why I think Jimmy was tough to evaluate. There arent a ton of QBs in the league that couldnt repeatedly hit 4 yard screen passes with the success he did last night.

He did some good things. He also had some very off target throws again. Hopefully he can truly be 100% and help us win games moving forward. We need good Jimmy with the games coming up.

Good post. Garoppolo showed us what he's made of - as a competitive, tough QB and just his makeup in general. He faced the challenge head on last night and executed the game plan very well to help get this team what matters most - a win. Was he perfect? No, but he was very good considering all the circumstances last night. (Also, Bourne's inconsistency is really wearing thin - killed that 2nd Half drive with that 3rd Down drop...Kittle also had the 3rd Down drop but was a little more difficult of a catch - still has to come up with that, though.)

The Niners needed to win that game last night, especially considering it was against a division opponent. They got back to executing and playing winning football - a great sign considering all the injuries and also for what lies ahead with the schedule.
I can't find a clip of Jimmy's "OH YEAH" just before the 2-min warning in the 2nd quarter when the Rams jumped into the neutral zone, the right side of the line reacted to it to draw the NZ flag, yet the refs were still asleep for like an additional 3 seconds before stopping the play.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by grapesofrathman:
I can't find a clip of Jimmy's "OH YEAH" just before the 2-min warning in the 2nd quarter when the Rams jumped into the neutral zone, the right side of the line reacted to it to draw the NZ flag, yet the refs were still asleep for like an additional 3 seconds before stopping the play.

with that. the fumble and whatever else.. those guys were morons
  • thl408
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I don't analyze and criticize every play. There will be some good throws and there will be some good catches. There will also be some drops. Every game has those no matter who the receivers and QB are. I prefer to look at the overall body of work and that tells me more about who a player is. It 's obvious to me that either Jimmy can't or Kyle doesn't believe he can consistently throw the long passes whether down the middle or the deep sideline throw. If he felt he could, why wouldn't he open things up and let him throw those passes more often. He tried one yesterday at the end of the first half when an INT wouldn't hurt them. It was a pretty good pass but the coverage was too tight for a completion. Could have been PI. Don't use the ankle as an excuse because the Niners didn't try those throws often last year either.

I'm not going to take anything away from Jimmy's performance yesterday. He executed the game plan perfectly but I didn't see ant great throws that made me change my mind that he's anything more than a good QB, not elite or top 10. The line blocked well and the running game was working so he could just throw those short passes and move the team downfield. That's fine when you have the lead and are controlling the game. It's not so good if you fall behind and have to come from 2 or 3 scores down late in the game.

I think what we've seen is that Kyle is capable of adjusting his scheme to his personnel. The proof is how he designed his offense to fit RG3. With Matt Ryan in ATL and prime Julio, it made sense to use Ryan's arm to get it to Julio downfield.
Share 49ersWebzone