There are 79 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Gabberwocky:
Originally posted by English:
Nice. Overreacting after one bad game is a common and unlikeable trait here.

There was nothing unique about that game. He showcases the same limitations all of last year and the year before as well. In fact just the previous game Shanahan again called an perfect game winning play, and both times Garoppolo failed to deliver the pass downfield.

Patterns do not lie. Self-deception because the man is very likable, of course, does.

He's the best we have right now, but it's time to start looking to fix the mistake which started in the 2017 draft when we passed on the most obvious QB since Andre Luck and selectioned John Lynch's college Bro instead.

1. For the love of Grammar Gods...learn how the whole an vs a thing works. It's really not that difficult.

2. So now Patrick Mahomes is the most obvious QB since Andrew Luck? Which is why such an obviously great QB went 10th overall and wasn't even the first QB drafted?

Mahomes also landed on a team with one of the greatest QB developers in NFL history.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by Gabberwocky:
Originally posted by English:
Nice. Overreacting after one bad game is a common and unlikeable trait here.

There was nothing unique about that game. He showcases the same limitations all of last year and the year before as well. In fact just the previous game Shanahan again called an perfect game winning play, and both times Garoppolo failed to deliver the pass downfield.

Patterns do not lie. Self-deception because the man is very likable, of course, does.

He's the best we have right now, but it's time to start looking to fix the mistake which started in the 2017 draft when we passed on the most obvious QB since Andre Luck and selectioned John Lynch's college Bro instead.

1. For the love of Grammar Gods...learn how the whole an vs a thing works. It's really not that difficult.

2. So now Patrick Mahomes is the most obvious QB since Andrew Luck? Which is why such an obviously great QB went 10th overall and wasn't even the first QB drafted?

Mahomes also landed on a team with one of the greatest QB developers in NFL history.

Mahomes had all-world arm talent but wasn't necessarily an obvisous pick. Missing on Watson though is unexcusable.
Originally posted by All22:
Mahomes had all-world arm talent but wasn't necessarily an obvisous pick. Missing on Watson though is unexcusable.

Agree.

Mahomes was a boom or bust prospect but Watson had "elite talent" written all over him.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Originally posted by Monsterniner:
Originally posted by All22:

Agree.

Mahomes was a boom or bust prospect but Watson had "elite talent" written all over him.

Watson went later than Mahomes...

We went to and should've won the SB without either of them.

People need to let it go. Kyle had a plan and didn't want to risk it on those guys. We have no idea what happens if we bring in either of those QBs. Kyle knew what he would be getting in Cousins and figured using draft capital to help the defense was a safer choice.

Thomas being a bust is highly unfortunate but it's not like we took Trubisky over those guys. The plan was obvious. Had Thomas turned into a stud DLman it would be easier to take.

"But I'm not going to do either."

People need to let it go. Kyle had a plan and didn't want to risk it on those guys. We have no idea what happens if we bring in either of those QBs. Kyle knew what he would be getting in Cousins and figured using draft capital to help the defense was a safer choice.

Thomas being a bust is highly unfortunate but it's not like we took Trubisky over those guys. The plan was obvious. Had Thomas turned into a stud DLman it would be easier to take.

We all know the plan but I think many of us saw Watson as a future franchise QB and we needed a QB.

What you´re saying is one of the problems I have with Kyle because he gets too fixated with the players he likes that he overlooks other talented players. I mean, he wanted Cousins but Watson is clearly a more talented QB but Shanny wanted Cousins and Cousins only.

Pettis, Joe Williams, Beathard are more examples of that.
[ Edited by Monsterniner on Sep 16, 2020 at 8:39 PM ]

We all know the plan but I think many of us saw Watson as a future franchise QB and we needed a QB.

What you´re saying is one of the problems I have with Kyle because he gets too fixated with the players he wants that he overlooks other talented players. I mean, he wanted Cousins but Watson is clearly a more talented QB but Shanny wanted Cousins and Cousins only.

Pettis, Joe Williams, Beathard are another examples of that.

Good points. Sad but true. We needed a qb badly. Doesn't make it better b/c we drafted a d lineman instead of another qb. End result is the same.
Originally posted by IGSXIII:

Exactly. He was "thinking". Hope he realizes it's now or NEVER. Just turn it loose

• 9moon
  • Veteran
IT'S freakin obvious the Grappy doesn't like to throw the ball deep for whatever reason that is... and the only time he throws deep is by design... he doesn't like to look downfield and let it go..

the best thing to do w/him if yo want him to throw deep is design a play where the main target is going deep.. FOR YEARS, this is what Bill Walsh did w/ Joe Montana.. he thought him to get rid of the ball quick, do not react to the defense and just go with his 1st and 2nd target.. then from time to time, plays will be called where Freddie Solomon or Mike Wilson would run a deep pattern.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cortana49:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
There are always surprise teams and what are called upsets early in the season. Every year there's a team that rises from the ashes and surprises the league. Last year it was the Niners. Who knows who it will be this year. Too early to tell after one game but it could be the Cards. Maybe the Rams come back and Seattle looked good with an unleashed Wilson. That's just our division. After 3 or 4 games things settle down and you can tell who is really improved and whois just playing over their head.

Yep, it was after week 4 last year that I saw the Niners getting FAR into the playoffs. I won't make definitive judgments until week 4 of this year either.

Agree Week 4 will definitely give us a bead on where the probable trajectory of this season is going to be.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
There are always surprise teams and what are called upsets early in the season. Every year there's a team that rises from the ashes and surprises the league. Last year it was the Niners. Who knows who it will be this year. Too early to tell after one game but it could be the Cards. Maybe the Rams come back and Seattle looked good with an unleashed Wilson. That's just our division. After 3 or 4 games things settle down and you can tell who is really improved and whois just playing over their head.

Remember when we smoked the Vikings with Tomsula as HC week 1?

How'd that season turn out for both teams?

Although I'm still hoping we emulate the 2003 Pats team. Crushed week 1 to a divisional rival. Only lost 1 more game that year. And won back to back Super Bowls.

That's my hope too, but I think for that to happen, a lot of the young players have to play up to their potential. I'm looking at Pettis and Solomon. Also agree, the fact that this team has won the first game of the season is no indication we're going to the super bowl this year, that's for sure.

Won the first game of the season, and the final record for the season.
2014 - 8-8
2015 5-11
2016 2-14

What you´re saying is one of the problems I have with Kyle because he gets too fixated with the players he likes that he overlooks other talented players. I mean, he wanted Cousins but Watson is clearly a more talented QB but Shanny wanted Cousins and Cousins only.

That's a fair knock but you have to take the good with the bad.

At the time I said if Kyle wanted to draft any of the 3 QBs I would've been good with it. Watson was my favorite out of the group due to his ability in the clutch.

Thing is we brought Kyle here for his scheme. Now we want to turn around and force him to take guys he's not sure about? All of those QBs had questions about how they would translate to the NFL. Adding them to a trash roster and having to play them real quick is a difficult ask and you never know which guys can handle an awful start to their career and rebound from it and which ones spiral.

That draft will always be a "what if" scenario for us since Thomas was a failure and all these talented players were taken after him.

In the end if Jimmy gets it together and we win at least one SB it will work itself out.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran

That's a fair knock but you have to take the good with the bad.

At the time I said if Kyle wanted to draft any of the 3 QBs I would've been good with it. Watson was my favorite out of the group due to his ability in the clutch.

Thing is we brought Kyle here for his scheme. Now we want to turn around and force him to take guys he's not sure about? All of those QBs had questions about how they would translate to the NFL. Adding them to a trash roster and having to play them real quick is a difficult ask and you never know which guys can handle an awful start to their career and rebound from it and which ones spiral.

That draft will always be a "what if" scenario for us since Thomas was a failure and all these talented players were taken after him.

In the end if Jimmy gets it together and we win at least one SB it will work itself out.

I thought Shanahan and Lynch built a darn excellent team and JG was the glue that made it work. Pity about his ACL or it would have happened sooner. But what would I know over all of the wannabe Team Manager/Head Coaches on this thread who go all cry baby after losing the first game of the year?
Share 49erswebzone