Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by ChicoCorrales:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by NCommand:
LOL.

Garoppolo is so underpaid now.

Is he though? Do you think Watson wins that super bowl?

Nope. At least not with the same refs.

Disagree. I think Watson puts up double Jimmys stats in that game. If nothing else he's able to score more points imo.
With Watson we win easily and I'm a huge Jimmy fan. I still think Jimmy got hurt when he got his head slammed not called of course but Watson would've been more mobile when the interior oline crapped the bed in the 2nd half. We still don't realize that Watson has more games under his belt than Jimmy even when he's been in the league longer
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
LOL.

Disagree. I think Watson puts up double Jimmys stats in that game. If nothing else he's able to score more points imo.

Wasn't Watson up 28 points vs the same team

True but Hopkins went out and you can't even compare that dumb ass BoB to Kyle. Didn't BoB make a stupid decision at one point of that game too?
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
LOL.

True but Hopkins went out and you can't even compare that dumb ass BoB to Kyle. Didn't BoB make a stupid decision at one point of that game too?

No doubt BoB is dumb but Watson was the QB that couldn't sustain a drive to kill the Chiefs momentum
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
LOL.

No doubt BoB is dumb but Watson was the QB that couldn't sustain a drive to kill the Chiefs momentum

Exactly. Just like Lamar Jackson, Watson choked hard in the playoffs.

Lol @ that gif.

Yeah, he also didn't have that defense and a rookie named Debo and the greatest football mind in the game today, one SirKyleLilWeezShanahan either.....

You can argue all day about whether Jimmy is better than Watson but the bottom line is if the Niners win the SB this year then he or his agent are going to be asking for his contract to be renegotiated. Fair or not that's the way things are now. All contracts do now is set the bar for the next guy to make more money. I think it's fair to say that Jimmy is in that group of 10 guys or so that could challenge for a spot in the top 5 some day. I have Mahomes and Wilson one and two. 3-5 are the aging stars Brady, Brees and Rodgers. Their skills might be eroding but they're still dangerous based on their experience. The next 10 are either vets or rising stars. These are just based on opinion and not stats. I don't like to use stats too much to rank players since they all could have better of worse stats with a different coach, system or set of wide receivers. Pass protection and schedule can also have a big impact on numbers.
Originally posted by PuckFarag10:
Let's never forget that, and it shall never happen again! True about the IOL, haha. I think Jim learned his lesson on running out of bounds that day. That throw Jim made against the Vikings in 2018 should remind all of us why he is special. That's an elite throw that not every QB can make.

Haha. On the real though, Jimmy Garoppolo should be much more mobile this year and he definitely can be dangerous once flushed out or on designed roll outs or behind a moving OL.

LOL.

Something has got to be done about QBs salaries. It's getting to / or has already gone thru the phase of being idiotic/unreal/ crazy/ nutty, and detrimental to the remainder of the football team. Somebody a while back suggested a special set aside for QBs that isn't part of the cap. If that were done, then it wouldn't affect the salaries of the rest of the team as much. Sadly, i don't see that happening tho.

$39 mil for Watson? He's good, but nowhere near that good. $39 mil...jeez.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Something has got to be done about QBs salaries. It's getting to / or has already gone thru the phase of being idiotic/unreal/ crazy/ nutty, and detrimental to the remainder of the football team. Somebody a while back suggested a special set aside for QBs that isn't part of the cap. If that were done, then it wouldn't affect the salaries of the rest of the team as much. Sadly, i don't see that happening tho.

$39 mil for Watson? He's good, but nowhere near that good. $39 mil...jeez.

That was me that suggested that QB salaries be exempt from the cap. I've been saying this for years, even before the salaries got this high. My reasons are:
1. As you stated, a franchise QB can hamstring a franchise for years.
2. Once you sign a QB to really big money, it's only a matter of time before you have to start shedding players to stay under the cap.
3. Teams can't afford the luxury of a quality backup. In some cases even 3 is considered too many.
4. It's not like the owners can't afford it. Having a quality backup as insurance can save a good football team from going belly up if the starter gets injured. It's not like other positions where you can survive a season ending injury.
5. QB is the one indispensable position. Without a good one you can never win. If you can't afford to sign one your team will always suck. If you overpay for one, your team will suck because you can't afford to keep your team together.

It's not likely that the greedy owners would ever change the rules unless it affects one or two of the big name franchises that have influential owners like Jerry Jones or the Hunt family or the Rooneys. That type of owner might be open to changing the cap rules if they lost their QB and it cost them a SB. It's really an insurance policy on their multi billion dollar investments.
Ya I also said something similar. Make only 50% of the contract count towards the cap.
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Ya I also said something similar. Make only 50% of the contract count towards the cap.

My question is why?
If a team wants to pay their quarterback that much, then they should, and it should count against the cap.

The classic case was Flacco, after winning the SB. Next thing you know, he is a $20 mil per QB. And what happened to the team after that? They lost at least 4 , maybe as many as 6 starters they could no longer afford, due to Flacco taking such a huge bite out of their salary cap. Now this was a few yrs ago, so no comp to today. Yet today we got Watson at $39 mil and Dak wanting $40 mil +.

Contrast that with Brady while wiht BB, and his taking way less as QB allowed BB to retain his star players, and in the process wins 6 SBs in last 20 yrs. If Brady had NOT done that, Pats probably have a mere 3 Lombardi's. Dak, a household name around Dallas, wants that $40 mil. But there comes a point, you just have to wonder WHY? Why that much?. He is really going to spend that much after taxes? No....so what's the deal? It has to be ego, because you can only be a millionaire once and after that it is just play money.

QBs that want that much $$, are basically self-destructive...ie, they are helping destroy their own team by hogging so much of the cap.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Sep 6, 2020 at 11:14 AM ]
The classic case was Flacco, after winning the SB. Next thing you know, he is a $20 mil per QB. And what happened to the team after that? They lost at least 4 , maybe as many as 6 starters they could no longer afford, due to Flacco taking such a huge bite out of their salary cap. Now this was a few yrs ago, so no comp to today. Yet today we got Watson at $39 mil and Dak wanting $40 mil +.

Contrast that with Brady while wiht BB, and his taking way less as QB allowed BB to retain his star players, and in the process wins 6 SBs in last 20 yrs. If Brady had NOT done that, Pats probably have a mere 3 Lombardi's. Dak, a household name around Dallas, wants that $40 mil. But there comes a point, you just have to wonder WHY? Why that much?. He is really going to spend that much after taxes? No....so what's the deal? It has to be ego, because you can only be a millionaire once and after that it is just play money.

QBs that want that much $$, are basically self-destructive...ie, they are helping destroy their own team by hogging so much of the cap.

Not many of us are married to billionaire super models
Exactly. Just like Lamar Jackson, Watson choked hard in the playoffs.

This. Jackson is on a roll for 2 years in a row in the playoffs

And that's 7 more than we scored period vs them though. If they had our d and went up 28 they'd win blind folded.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Sep 6, 2020 at 2:38 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Not many of us are married to billionaire super models

And Brady and Pats guys cheated salary cap by using Tom's TB12 company. Basically paid him outside the salary cap through his company.
Share 49ersWebzone