There are 124 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by NCommand:
If you need great QB protection to be a great QB,...then you aren't a great QB, really. You can't excuse your way into the upper echelon of the QB club.

You know you've arrived when you're able to show everyone that given 4 quarters worth of snaps, you have the ability to just find a way.

LOL. The dude makes constant plays under duress. What more can he do under 3 seconds?

I wasn't commenting on any specific dude. I was commenting on this common excuse formed when people make arguments for 1 QB against the other.

When the draft roles around they're dying for exciting WRs. We're then ready to have a discussion about past QB play,...and it suddenly becomes all about the OL.

The constant OL stuff is just a way to move the goal posts. Great players are great players.

True, and great players like Tom Brady got put on his ass and lost Superbowls when his OL couldn't protect him.

Yes. He has 6 other rings to dust off tho,....so I kinda think he's the last example to use as a counter-point.

Give Brady 1 ring at this point and he's still a 1st ballot guy because of his career. I wasn't referencing who's won the SuperBowl or not,...as a # of great QBs have ZERO championships. If that was in part because of their OLine,...you're really making my point for me,...since Dan Marino and the like are still seen as great players.

Team success is a different discussion entirely.

But you can't look back and use the OLine as an excuse when we wanna compare which QB is better than which. It's a bailout argument and it gets kinda old to see repeated over and over.

Same thing for any other position. If we're gonna talk Left Tackles,...I dont wanna hear about their QBs or RBs. We're talking pass rushers,...dont bring who has the better defensive tackles on their team,...yadda yadda. We're discussing who's better,...not necessarily who has more productive numbers.

Player comparisons are mano a mano. No bailouts.

LOL. But if Tom Brady was great, no way would he have lost 2 Superbowls because of the pressure, right?

...that little fact you're using to disparage Garoppolo in year 1 of operating the WCO is the exact same fact for how a HOF lost 2.

Give Garoppolo 19 more years and let's see how it goes.

PS: Pass protection is not an excuse. It's a fact. Period. Is it the ONLY factor? Of course not.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Yes. He has 6 other rings to dust off tho,....so I kinda think he's the last example to use as a counter-point.

Give Brady 1 ring at this point and he's still a 1st ballot guy because of his career. I wasn't referencing who's won the SuperBowl or not,...as a # of great QBs have ZERO championships. If that was in part because of their OLine,...you're really making my point for me,...since Dan Marino and the like are still seen as great players.

But you can't look back and use the OLine as an excuse when we wanna compare which QB is better than which. It's a bailout argument and it gets kinda old to see repeated over and over.

Same thing for any other position. If we're gonna talk Left Tackles,...I dont wanna hear about their QBs or RBs. We're talking pass rushers,...dont bring who has the better defensive tackles on their team,...yadda yadda. We're discussing who's better,...not necessarily who has more productive numbers.

Well, Jimmy made the OLine look good last year with all the OLine injuries (and the first five starts he ever had as a 49er) so clearly he's at a level pretty close to what you are describing above. Because I think the QB has a lot of impact on how the OLine looks in terms of pass protection. All Jimmy has to do last year to make the OLine look terrible is just hold the ball another second or two, and that OLine will look like the OLine that protected BeatHard in 2017.

Absolutely. If Kyle didn't scheme his 2 and 3 second offense and Garoppolo didn't have the tops release time, the OL (pass protection only) would be talked about FAR more in this equation. Fans just don't watch OL play. They only watch the results of plays.
Originally posted by Mankster:
Sometimes "great" QBs get the snot beat out of them and still win.

9/24/1989 - 49ers vs Eagles
Montana sacked 8 times
Wins with 4 fourth quarter TDs

Just sayin
😎

In year 1?

Imagine using the 89 team to prove a point?

Best roster in NFL history.
LOL. But if Tom Brady was great, no way would he have lost 2 Superbowls because of the pressure, right?

...that little fact you're using to disparage Garoppolo in year 1 of operating the WCO is the exact same fact for how a HOF lost 2.

Give Garoppolo 19 more years and let's see how it goes.

PS: Pass protection is not an excuse. It's a fact. Period. Is it the ONLY factor? Of course not.

I always mention that when people talk about Tom Brady. He has lost Super Bowls and he got lucky that Pete Carroll called a horrible play and Russell Wilson choked. People always conveniently forget that.

Brady also played like garbage this last Super Bowl and his first Super Bowl he played like a game manager at best. I think people really forgot or didn't watch Brady absolutely fold vs the Gmen
Originally posted by genus49:
Imagine using the 89 team to prove a point?

Best roster in NFL history.

And the Niners defense was pretty good making John Elway look like absolute garbage. We are forgetting that the Broncos were gifted a PI inside in the end zone which gave him a touchdown. The score should of been 56-3 (missed extra point).

Also, for anyone wanting to argue about offenses, the Broncos had the number one defense and we rolled up 55 points against them. THE #1Defense. Are you kidding me? That is utterly Ridiculous
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Well, Jimmy made the OLine look good last year with all the OLine injuries (and the first five starts he ever had as a 49er) so clearly he's at a level pretty close to what you are describing above. Because I think the QB has a lot of impact on how the OLine looks in terms of pass protection. All Jimmy has to do last year to make the OLine look terrible is just hold the ball another second or two, and that OLine will look like the OLine that protected BeatHard in 2017.

Absolutely. If Kyle didn't scheme his 2 and 3 second offense and Garoppolo didn't have the tops release time, the OL (pass protection only) would be talked about FAR more in this equation. Fans just don't watch OL play. They only watch the results of plays.
Yup. I was so frustrated with BeatHard. He would hold it and hold it until the line collapsed. Even though Kyle schemes the recievers open, the pass has still to be thrown. The last minute TD to Wilson in the AZ game was thrown blindly and in the teeth of a blitz.

Mic drop baby!
lol

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
lol

Kittle rubbing off on Jim. Good to see him in good spirits though lol.

lol

LOL took me a few minutes to realize he's wearing a T-shirt of George Kittle wearing a T-shirt of Jimmy G
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerjok:
lol

LOL took me a few minutes to realize he's wearing a T-shirt of George Kittle wearing a T-shirt of Jimmy G

They got a good bromance going.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
lol

They got a good bromance going.

The way he has his mask on my OCD kicking in. Hes so well dressed all the time too.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
The way he has his mask on my OCD kicking in. Hes so well dressed all the time too.

He looks like a doctor from Gray's Anatomy.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

He looks like a doctor from Gray's Anatomy.

his mask isnt centered though
Share 49erswebzone