LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
LOL. You comparing me replying with 2 sentences to you replying with 8 paragraphs when the dude said "Jimmy might..." something. You are so quick to defend the guy when the poster wasn't even criticizing him.

Did you even read the post?
Originally posted by PuckFarag10:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I think JG primarily throwing between the numbers is Kyle's fault. Kyle is so obsessed with RAC that he doesn't call very many primary throws to the sidelines.

Teams will be looking to take away the middle of the field from us this year. Shanahan, whether he likes it or not is gonna have to throw to the sidelines and deep more often than relying on YAC for his explosive plays.

That's the thing, I think Kyle's strength is his biggest weakness. He is all about his play designs based off play action. Most of the time, PA sets up pass over the LBS or FS which are primarily between the hashes.

I just don't see Kyle mixing up enough straight drop backs because he is too stubborn to force the PA all the time
[ Edited by Joecool on Jul 21, 2020 at 10:37 AM ]
I think JG primarily throwing between the numbers is Kyle's fault. Kyle is so obsessed with RAC that he doesn't call very many primary throws to the sidelines.

Teams will be looking to take away the middle of the field from us this year. Shanahan, whether he likes it or not is gonna have to throw to the sidelines and deep more often than relying on YAC for his explosive plays.

That's the thing, I think Kyle's strength is his biggest weakness. He is all about his play designs based off play action. Most of the time, PA sets up pass over the LBS or FS which are primarily between the hashes.

I just don't see Kyle mixing up enough straight drop backs because he is too stubborn to force the PA all the time

I'm not worried about Kyle...we just need our guys to execute whatever he goes with.

I do wish as something thl kept bringing up, which is I'd like to see him call more plays where Jimmy can progress as a QB good or bad versus having as much dictated by design.

I think that's where things really clicked for Matt Ryan with Shanahan because he had 100+ starts under his belt where other coordinators let him grow and basically make the reads he needs to make based off coverage and then when Kyle came in with his scheme and Ryan picked it up he could play well within what Kyle called and when it was more a need to read the field and make the throws based on that he had that down as well.

Jimmy needs to get there but how can you ask a HC to stop calling stuff that's working so well?

It is his greatest weakness. We use PA more than just about any other team, but teams with good LBs who don't bite it can end badly. KS needs to incorporate more pure drop back passing as you said. I'd rather see our deep throws from Jimmy come from a 7 step drop than off PA this year, if pass protection is better.

Also, he needs to give Jimmy some leeway to go outside of the play design and go off-schedule. If we get a free play, go deep, etc. He kept Jim really restricted last year for the most part by not letting him be creative.
[ Edited by PuckFarag10 on Jul 21, 2020 at 11:08 AM ]
  • thl408

That's a good way to put it. His play designs are so good at putting defenders in conflict and giving Jimmy clear, defined reads that it might not prepare Jimmy for the times he has to dropback without the help of playaction. But as a coach, if you have a bunch of good effective plays, would you not to call them just to make it harder for Jimmy in order to develop him? Maybe. Tough to do when team expectations are to win.

Regarding throws outside the hashes, I think with better WRs those plays will come. I've seen Jimmy make some really good anticipation throws on deep comebacks/curls outside the numbers to Goodwin. As good as Deebo was last season, I don't think his strength is outward breaking routes. Perhaps Aiyuk helps here.
Originally posted by thl408:

That's a good way to put it. His play designs are so good at putting defenders in conflict and giving Jimmy clear, defined reads that it might not prepare Jimmy for the times he has to dropback without the help of playaction. But as a coach, if you have a bunch of good effective plays, would you not to call them just to make it harder for Jimmy in order to develop him? Maybe. Tough to do when team expectations are to win.

Regarding throws outside the hashes, I think with better WRs those plays will come. I've seen Jimmy make some really good anticipation throws on deep comebacks/curls outside the numbers to Goodwin. As good as Deebo was last season, I don't think his strength is outward breaking routes. Perhaps Aiyuk helps here.

I'm so glad you brought up Goodwin because those throws were all there with Goodwin. They had that connection, clearly. Once he was out, the passing game certainly felt more vanilla. Pettis didn't replicate those routes and Deebo, like you said, has a different skill set. No short designs for the injured McKinnon, Taylor and Hurd.

Hopefully, Aiyuk and/or Benjamin (speed-respect routes) can bring those back this year, Deebo and the aforementioned short game personnel added now.
Originally posted by NCommand:

I'm so glad you brought up Goodwin because those throws were all there with Goodwin. They had that connection, clearly. Once he was out, the passing game certainly felt more vanilla. Pettis didn't replicate those routes and Deebo, like you said, has a different skill set. No short designs for the injured McKinnon, Taylor and Hurd.

Hopefully, Aiyuk and/or Benjamin (speed-respect routes) can bring those back this year, Deebo and the aforementioned short game personnel added now.

I think that was the most clear in 2018. Obviously the OL injuries vs that Vikings pass rush didn't help things in that week 1 game but soon as Goodwin got hurt our offense was a shell of itself from 2017.

Hopefully Aiyuk gives us what Kyle thinks he can and the other guys stay healthy. I think the offense will definitely open up but depending what happens early in the season assuming they don't push the games back I doubt we see a lot of Aiyuk out there. I'm expecting a lot of running early on.
  • thl408
Originally posted by NCommand:

I have no doubt Jimmy can make those outside the number throws, and with anticipation. But Kyle isn't going to force things that aren't there so we saw little of that in 2019 after Goodwin stopped playing. He did it with Goodwin in those five 2017 games, and he did with Goodwin in early 2019.
Originally posted by genus49:
I think that was the most clear in 2018. Obviously the OL injuries vs that Vikings pass rush didn't help things in that week 1 game but soon as Goodwin got hurt our offense was a shell of itself from 2017.

Hopefully Aiyuk gives us what Kyle thinks he can and the other guys stay healthy. I think the offense will definitely open up but depending what happens early in the season assuming they don't push the games back I doubt we see a lot of Aiyuk out there. I'm expecting a lot of running early on.

I'm expecting teams daring us to throw. Especially because of the injury to Deebo, teams will be expecting us to heavily lean on the run until he gets back. So, they will gameplan to slow it down and put the ball into Jimmy's hands. Aiyuk is gonna get a baptism by fire, so I hope the time he spent this summer working with Jimmy will pay some dividends.
[ Edited by PuckFarag10 on Jul 21, 2020 at 12:51 PM ]

I'm expecting teams daring us to throw. Especially because of the injury to Deebo, teams will be expecting us to heavily lean on the run until he gets back. So, they will gameplan to slow it down and put the ball into Jimmy's hands. Aiyuk is gonna get a baptism by fire, so I hope the time he spent this summer working with Jimmy will pay some dividends.

I'm sure they will try. Question will be if they can actually stop it. There have been very few times when we actually tried to run and weren't able to.

I think if anyone shines early it would be Bourne, Taylor, Hurd...and dare I say maybe even Pettis? Hard ask for the rookies to make early contributions in a tough to learn offense with very little practice time. I'd love for Aiyuk to prove me wrong tho.

I'm sure they will try. Question will be if they can actually stop it. There have been very few times when we actually tried to run and weren't able to.

I think if anyone shines early it would be Bourne, Taylor, Hurd...and dare I say maybe even Pettis? Hard ask for the rookies to make early contributions in a tough to learn offense with very little practice time. I'd love for Aiyuk to prove me wrong tho.

Cardinals can and did in both meetings last year. Jimmy went over 300 yards passing in both games and put the team on his back. The Jets, even though their record was bad had a pretty solid D against the run last year iirc.

Whoever we face will try to get us to throw outside, and do what KC did to us. Take away everything short, no easy YAC, etc. This is where Aiyuk's speed can come in handy. If Jimmy hits him on a couple deep routes they'll have to respect the underneath stuff.

Jim already has great chemistry with Bourne, so I'd expect him to be getting quite a few looks especially if Kittle is doubled.

Lmao that is a scrubby set of receivers. And what makes it worse is Jimmy can't make all the throws like outside balls and deep. Your run game is gimmicky so no, to answer your question it won't work again.
[ Edited by Greg-Joelson on Jul 22, 2020 at 3:45 AM ]
Jeaneane Garoffalo needs to work on arm strength and accuracy for better effectiveness
Originally posted by Greg-Joelson:
Lmao that is a scrubby set of receivers. And what makes it worse is Jimmy can't make all the throws like outside balls and deep. Your run game is gimmicky so no, to answer your question it won't work again.

And which team is yours that you felt the need to join another team's thread and troll? Cuz I'm pretty certain unless you're a Chiefs fan we ran all over your ass last year.
Cardinals can and did in both meetings last year. Jimmy went over 300 yards passing in both games and put the team on his back. The Jets, even though their record was bad had a pretty solid D against the run last year iirc.

Whoever we face will try to get us to throw outside, and do what KC did to us. Take away everything short, no easy YAC, etc. This is where Aiyuk's speed can come in handy. If Jimmy hits him on a couple deep routes they'll have to respect the underneath stuff.

Jim already has great chemistry with Bourne, so I'd expect him to be getting quite a few looks especially if Kittle is doubled.

Don't forget the Arizona games were a little strange for us. First game Staley, McGlinchey and Juice were out and in that game Breida was still averaging over 5 YPC. Coleman wasn't doing well but he seemed like all year he'd either have a 100+ yard game or looked like we were wasting run downs with him out there.

The second game McGlinchey was back but it took him a while to ramp up. Staley was still out. And we were down 16 mid 2nd quarter. That's gonna limit your running. We also didn't have Kittle out there who is a key part of our run game.

If we're healthy and want to run...there aren't many teams who can stop us.
Share 49ersWebzone