There are 181 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Great post??!!
Lmao

Dudes comparing Julio & Ryan Vs one year starter Jimmy and who!! f**king Pettis!!

I mean shouldn't common sense be a prerequisite before posting.
Damn

Pettis? Are you forgetting multiple pro bowlers in Kittle and Sanders, and Deebo is also good. But ya, Pettis who barely played all season. Talk about common sense...

But what's the excuse for Cousins who was a 1st year starter?
[ Edited by TheGore49er on Mar 26, 2020 at 4:07 PM ]
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Great post??!!
Lmao

Dudes comparing Julio & Ryan Vs one year starter Jimmy and who!! f**king Pettis!!

Damn

Pettis? Are you forgetting multiple pro bowlers in Kittle and Sanders, and Deebo is also good. But ya, Pettis who barely played all season. Talk about common sense...

We've had a revolving door at receiver, and OL..

Answers my question, who on our team is as good as Julio Jones or the other receivers and tight ends that Ryan had to throw to and your comparing a 5-7 year starter to a one year starter.

Yea common sense is a wonderful thing dude.
Lol

I'll wait for your answer on who compared to Julio and there wide outs and TE's..
[ Edited by Jeepzilla on Mar 26, 2020 at 4:24 PM ]
Great post??!!
Lmao

Damn

Answers my question, who on our team is as good as Julio Jones or the other receivers and tight ends that Ryan had to throw to and your comparing a 5-7 year starter to a one year starter.

Lol

I'll wait for your answer on who compared to Julio and there wide outs and TE's..

So if we don't have an all pro WR we can't be really good at passing? Brady seemed to do just fine with Gronk as his #1 for many years.

Ya Julio is really good, but Kittle is considered the best TE in the league, so it's not like we don't also have a great weapon. Sanders is also a multiple time pro bowler and Deebo had a really good rookie year and looks like a future pro bowler. Bourne wasn't bad either at times, really good actually.

And you still haven't responded to the Cousins part who had a really good year his first year as a starter under Shanny...

But here we go again, make a simple critique of Jimmy and the whole offense as I did in my original post, and get told you don't have common sense. These childish posts need to stop from you guys, always trying to attack anyone who says one bad thing about Jimmy. This is just like the Smith years were people were constantly getting s**t talked for talking bad about Smith.

And I'm not saying that Jimmy is Smith, he's much better imo, just pointing out how obsessed some people become with a player and god forbid you say anything bad, even when you acknowledged that OL, ACL, and not having a great WR was also an issue.
[ Edited by TheGore49er on Mar 26, 2020 at 5:07 PM ]
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
goatie, you aren't a mod so don't tell someone to be silent.

All three of you, either have a discussion like an adult without trying to insult each other or avoid each other.

More like 2,...lol. I was only building on SteveWallacesHelmet's post that both sides have a fair argument and it will never change the past.

I'm all for bringing up the past so long as it's in the context of discussing the future.

More like one...lol, I was responding to Random49er's post and my name is not even in that segment of quotes. Per the mod's recommendation, I have been ignoring problematic/argumentative posters who want to inflame the discussion.
[ Edited by SteveYoung8 on Mar 26, 2020 at 5:37 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by SteveYoung8:
Agreed. I like JG and am optimistic about his future with the 49ers but there is a plethora of evidence all over the numerous 49er forums and internet in general proving that at this point in his career he doesn't test certain parts of the field (deep and outside the numbers), takes needless/crucial sacks or pressures instead of throwing the ball away (see 4th qtr SB sack), misses open receivers (again, see the SB), Shanny not completely trusting JG (see his limited number of throws in the playoffs/SB) and I will add...the contention that he choked in the 4th qtr of the SB supported by his dismal 4th qtr stats of 3-of-11, 36 yards, INT and a fourth-down sack which collectively ranks 42nd out of 42 SB qbs since 1999/2000. By any measure of any reasonable/rational/knowledgeable analyst and fan of any team that is clear, tangible evidence of his collapse. Therefore, it doesn't require the repeated, perpetual dissection of specific plays which is not the point of an educated OPINION-based 49er fan forum anyway (even though most fans cite trends, history, facts, stats and/or data to back up their points) nor does it represent the majority of content on such forums.

In the case of the 4th down sack, it's not Jimmy that choked on that play. Watch the film and you'll see that it was another player that completely s**t the bed there.

I'll take your word for it until/unless I have time to confirm so let's remove the 4th down SB sack for the sake of argument because I forgot to include his 4th qtr passer rating of 2.8 which is actually what ranks the worst out of all 42 SB qbs in the past TWENTY years. So his 4th qtr SB stats (w/o the sack included) were 3-11, 36 yds, an INT and passer rating of 2.8. Again, I like JG and remain optimistic about his future with the 49ers but does that make it any better? Do those stats indicate that fans should have to repeatedly dissect film and specific plays before they conclude that JG choked? Any reasonable/rational fan would say no.
[ Edited by SteveYoung8 on Mar 27, 2020 at 4:02 AM ]
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Agreed. I like JG and am optimistic about his future with the 49ers but there is a plethora of evidence all over the numerous 49er forums and internet in general proving that at this point in his career he doesn't test certain parts of the field (deep and outside the numbers), takes needless/crucial sacks or pressures instead of throwing the ball away (see 4th qtr SB sack), misses open receivers (again, see the SB), Shanny not completely trusting JG (see his limited number of throws in the playoffs/SB) and I will add...the contention that he choked in the 4th qtr of the SB supported by his dismal 4th qtr stats of 3-of-11, 36 yards, INT and a fourth-down sack which collectively ranks 42nd out of 42 SB qbs since 1999/2000. By any measure of any reasonable/rational/knowledgeable analyst and fan of any team that is clear, tangible evidence of his collapse. Therefore, it doesn't require the repeated, perpetual dissection of specific plays which is not the point of an educated OPINION-based 49er fan forum anyway (even though most fans cite trends, history, facts, stats and/or data to back up their points) nor does it represent the majority of content on such forums.

In the case of the 4th down sack, it's not Jimmy that choked on that play. Watch the film and you'll see that it was another player that completely s**t the bed there.

I forgot to include his 4th qtr passer rating of 2.8 which is actually what ranks the worst out of all 42 SB qbs the past TWENTY years. Fortunately, that IS better than PM's worst SB "MVP" stats in the history of the NFL since the merger. That's Goodell's cash cow, ladies and gentleman.

You haven't watched the film yet like thl408 asked you too have you?

You cant figure out for yourself what JG's did in the 8 relevant plays that happened can you? Why are you scared of looking at the film particularly the All 22?
Great post??!!
Lmao

Damn

Lol

So if we don't have an all pro WR we can't be really good at passing? Brady seemed to do just fine with Gronk as his #1 for many years.

Ya Julio is really good, but Kittle is considered the best TE in the league, so it's not like we don't also have a great weapon. Sanders is also a multiple time pro bowler and Deebo had a really good rookie year and looks like a future pro bowler. Bourne wasn't bad either at times, really good actually.

And you still haven't responded to the Cousins part who had a really good year his first year as a starter under Shanny...

But here we go again, make a simple critique of Jimmy and the whole offense as I did in my original post, and get told you don't have common sense. These childish posts need to stop from you guys, always trying to attack anyone who says one bad thing about Jimmy. This is just like the Smith years were people were constantly getting s**t talked for talking bad about Smith.

And I'm not saying that Jimmy is Smith, he's much better imo, just pointing out how obsessed some people become with a player and god forbid you say anything bad, even when you acknowledged that OL, ACL, and not having a great WR was also an issue.
I'd agree with that statement.

You sure about that?

Hard to take you seriously if you're pushing people to address something that's not even accurate.

Brady never just had Gronk btw. He always had receivers who he had very good timing with whether it was Walker, Edelman, Amendola, etc.

He also wasn't going deep to Gronk all the time and in recent history hasn't gone long often at all...yet some would apparently try to take that as he's not a QB Kyle would want since he's not able to chuck it deep to the outside every other throw?

Also calling Sanders a multiple time pro bowler is cute. He's a two time pro bowler and his last time in the pro bowl was 3 years ago. He was a WR who was coming off a serious injury last year who was brought in mid way through the season. Deebo didn't become a consistent guy until mid way through the year as well. Trying to downplay the talent discrepancy to what Ryan had the year he put up those numbers is comical. That's not even taking into consideration that he had over 100 career starts before Kyle went to Atlanta and even then it took a full season and two offseasons to do what he did.

And why is it childish? Just cuz he was questioning the flawed thought process?

It really should be pretty obvious that teams with different personnel may run their offense/defense differently as a result.

Expecting a HC to somehow throw deep frequently when your QB has a bad knee, OL can't pass block for a long time and your best receiver is a TE...
I'll take your word for it until/unless I have time to confirm so let's remove the 4th down SB sack for the sake of argument because I forgot to include his 4th qtr passer rating of 2.8 which is actually what ranks the worst out of all 42 SB qbs in the past TWENTY years. So his 4th qtr SB stats (w/o the sack included) were 3-11, 36 yds, an INT and passer rating of 2.8. Again, I like JG and remain optimistic about his future with the 49ers but does that make it any better? Do those stats indicate that fans should have to repeatedly dissect film and specific plays before they conclude that JG choked? Of course not.

You've claimed to ignore posts that are inflammatory but it seems like you're simply ignoring posts that are asking you to look at the game in more detail and ask your view on it.

You've brought up the video breakdowns as "proof" that Jimmy choked. You've brought up the box score numbers as proof.

Yet you refuse to actually discuss the plays in detail that lead to those ugly numbers. I'm not sure why. I can only assume because you know it will take away from your narrative that Jimmy choked.

If you're here to talk about Jimmy and you think he choked then let's dig into it and look at the plays. Otherwise let's move on from the SB and look towards next season.
Originally posted by genus49:
I'll take your word for it until/unless I have time to confirm so let's remove the 4th down SB sack for the sake of argument because I forgot to include his 4th qtr passer rating of 2.8 which is actually what ranks the worst out of all 42 SB qbs in the past TWENTY years. So his 4th qtr SB stats (w/o the sack included) were 3-11, 36 yds, an INT and passer rating of 2.8. Again, I like JG and remain optimistic about his future with the 49ers but does that make it any better? Do those stats indicate that fans should have to repeatedly dissect film and specific plays before they conclude that JG choked? Of course not.

You've claimed to ignore posts that are inflammatory but it seems like you're simply ignoring posts that are asking you to look at the game in more detail and ask your view on it.

You've brought up the video breakdowns as "proof" that Jimmy choked. You've brought up the box score numbers as proof.

Yet you refuse to actually discuss the plays in detail that lead to those ugly numbers. I'm not sure why. I can only assume because you know it will take away from your narrative that Jimmy choked.

If you're here to talk about Jimmy and you think he choked then let's dig into it and look at the plays. Otherwise let's move on from the SB and look towards next season.

Drew Brees is, or at least recently was the best quarterback against the blitz.

When he had defenses rushing more protection than drew had, he would either A audible at the line (noticing the coming blitz) or B when snapping the ball would release the ball quickly and accurately with free defenders running at him at full speed.

Therefore even if an O line, blew an assignment, or a blocker failed a block, 1 player ran a wrong route, whatever the case may be, that doesn't mean you say "well this guy didn't do his assignment correctly so jimmy g gets let off the hook." Hell to the no! Jimmy needs and needed to rise to the occasion and make a play happen when others weren't answering the call. That's what the great quarterbacks do. You don't acquire the worst quarterback rating in the post-season in the last 20 years by blaming everyone else by not doing their job or missing their assignments on specific plays.

We can't sit here and say jimmy has this it factor and he just wins no matter what, and then when he losses and plays poorly blame everyone but himself. Yes I've watched the All-22, yes some people messed up royally, but that doesn't excuse jimmy g to just fold up shop and not step up to the occasion. Again, the greats step up in moments like that and takes the team and says hop on my back boys I got this. That's what we want, that's what we need. Let's hope he delivers that to us in 2020-2021.

• thl408

I was just talking about that 4th down play where you thought it was on Jimmy. Boxscore watching is nice but doesn't tell the whole story. You won't hear an argument from me that Jimmy didn't play well in the 4Q. Are you at least curious to know which player it was that butchered that play? Or who cares, just keep saying 2.8 QB rating and be done with it. Football is a team sport. Jimmy didn't execute some plays. Other players didn't execute on some plays.
I was just talking about that 4th down play where you thought it was on Jimmy. Boxscore watching is nice but doesn't tell the whole story. You won't hear an argument from me that Jimmy didn't play well in the 4Q. Are you at least curious to know which player it was that butchered that play? Or who cares, just keep saying 2.8 QB rating and be done with it. Football is a team sport. Jimmy didn't execute some plays. Other players didn't execute on some plays.

https://youtu.be/939x-KYk_r4 This one bothered me. We settled for a field goal but kittle, and looking at what the route was and the way the defense was sitting, he shoulda known kittle would be wide open
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by Midbay:
I'm sypathetic to the general concept here, but call the kettle black much? It fell down at the end. We all have a "block" feature.

How so? I've been a mod on the site for pretty much a decade. Maybe the tag under my name made it confusing.

Haha. Sorry about that. I just thought you were some guy with a lot of posts.
https://youtu.be/v_wm1BR-jCE

Goatie I'm curious to see how you would explain this play. Is jimmy g once again failing a read/throw? Or did another member of the team fail him.
Originally posted by Goatie:
Originally posted by Midbay:

Went back through the forum... lots of ground to cover on a small (or any sized) screen. Got part way through but had to stop and take a shower to clean all the stupid off. All-22 is the recommended approach. Watching that play was cringeworthy though. Now I know why Jimmy G started to throw then stopped... and I also know who watches film and who's posting garbage.

It was 4th down and Jimmy isn't shy about throwing into tight windows. So why the hell did he not throw it there? Film don't lie.

What's the bet someone joins the WZ today an argues that part of the film was a deep fake by the deep state in the NFL? It is sure to happen.

I bet Goatie and thl408 aren't even your real names
Share 49erswebzone