There are 299 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by SkyZer0:

live replay right now.

I miss sanders already

Arguably the most important regular season game and he nails it.

But we need a new QB amirite guys??

Yup lets get a new QB and new O-line but we're good with Deebo, Bourne, Pettis, Hurd and Taylor. So awesssssume.

So youre assuming Jimmy wont naturally improve this year, and giving Jimmy more time in the pocket (as well as a Staley replacement) wont be beneficial to perhaps give him more time to find WRs?

Seems like you also dont think any second round WRs this year will be available.
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:

live replay right now.

I miss sanders already

People look at the game logs and say Sanders wasn't important, but the guy literally changed our passing offense the second he joined the team.

Who said Sanders wasn't important?

The question is was he important enough for the amount of money he got vs being replaced by a cheaper player in this deep WR class?

I wanted Sanders back for sure but we had 2 guys on IR the team likes a lot that hopefully will be back from injuries(though we cannot count on it which is why WR has to be addressed in the draft)

That's why we traded for Sanders. Goodwin and Pettis were not playing how we expected and Deebo didn't really get going until Sanders came in.
Originally posted by Stanley:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

live replay right now.

I miss sanders already

Arguably the most important regular season game and he nails it.

But we need a new QB amirite guys??

Yup lets get a new QB and new O-line but we're good with Deebo, Bourne, Pettis, Hurd and Taylor. So awesssssume.

So youre assuming Jimmy wont naturally improve this year, and giving Jimmy more time in the pocket (as well as a Staley replacement) wont be beneficial to perhaps give him more time to find WRs?

Seems like you also dont think any second round WRs this year will be available.

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic about new QB part.

But to your point we don't have a 2nd round pick at this time. I want Ruggs or Jeudy at 13 bad for us BUT unlike last year where for me it was Bosa or nothing assuming he was available if we drafted a top OT at 13 or even a corner(that one would be a little tougher to swallow) and then traded back or drafted a WR at 31 I would be cool with it.
Originally posted by genus49:

But to your point we don't have a 2nd round pick at this time. I want Ruggs or Jeudy at 13 bad for us BUT unlike last year where for me it was Bosa or nothing assuming he was available if we drafted a top OT at 13 or even a corner(that one would be a little tougher to swallow) and then traded back or drafted a WR at 31 I would be cool with it.
That's what I want. Trade back pick up a pick or two get a linemen, corner, and wideout.

Anyone have any idea who would be interested in moving up or back to the 13th spot?
  • thl408
I thought I'd show one throw from each game of the 2019 season where I felt Jimmy made a good coverage read and good throw. There was a Greg Cosell post SB interview where he wanted the 49ers passing game to be independent of the run game - meaning pass plays that succeed on their own and not because of the system. This was my inspiration to making this series of cutups.

None of these throws are plays where there is a clear predefined read. Most of them will be basic play designs that are in every NFL playbook, but it's up to the QB to read the coverage and make the correct decision. The reason I chose plays like this is it eliminates the plays where Kyle's great play design works to get a receiver wide open, or plays where there is a very clear, defined read that makes it easy for the QB to determine the target.
------
Week 9: 3rd & 11
Dwelley lines up inline to the left side of the offensive formation, then motions into the backfield. The purple safety follows Dwelley. This gives a man coverage presnap read.

This is the presnap picture just before the snap. With the purple safety following Dwelley, the weakside CB pressing Sanders, and a single high safety (blue) in the middle, this looks like Cover 1 man coverage.
The 49ers are running a 'Hank' concept. This is a horizontal stretch to the underneath zone defenders. The orange, red, and yellow routes look to create a 3 vs 2 situation. 49ers use a reduced split (WRs lined up inside the numbers). This will cause the CBs to play with outside leverage - this plays a role later.
This is usually a 5 step rhythm passing concept. With the 49ers needing 9 yards, they modify it to 7 step timing (shotgun snap = 2, plus a 5 step drop)

At the snap, the purple and blue safeties both run into a Cover 2 position. The yellow Mike LB faces the strongside and quickly gains depth - it's Tampa 2 coverage.

Jimmy's read is the two red hook/curl defenders (red) and how they react to Bourne's route. Whichever of the red LBs cheat towards Bourne, throw it to the Curl route on that same side of the field. The 3 vs 2 here is Bourne/Deebo/Sanders vs the two hook/curl defenders.

As soon as the weakside hook/curl defender (red) cheats toward Bourne, Jimmy sets his eyes on Sanders. The spacing between Deebo and Bourne is too close, that's why Jimmy didn't target Deebo.
The two Curl routes from Deebo and Sanders both give a head fake to the outside, to attack the leverage of the CBs that are playing with outside leverage. This gets those outside CBs on their heels, to set up the curl towards the inside

Although the CB on Sanders is playing it tight, Jimmy reads the leverage and knows that there is room towards the inside of Sanders due to the weakside hook/curl defender cheating towards Bourne.

With pressure in his face, Jimmy locates this ball to the inside to that Sanders can push off and win the position battle.

+16. Even with the CB all over Sanders, Jimmy makes a good leverage read and throws it to an area that only Sanders can get to.
Originally posted by Niner4ever:
Originally posted by genus49:

That's what I want. Trade back pick up a pick or two get a linemen, corner, and wideout.

Anyone have any idea who would be interested in moving up or back to the 13th spot?

Maybe Denver w/their 15th.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
It was good work when you consider the pocket was also collapsing and two defenders almost got their hands to the ball to bat it away. Sharp throw.
Originally posted by thl408:
I thought I'd show one throw from each game of the 2019 season where I felt Jimmy made a good coverage read and good throw. There was a Greg Cosell post SB interview where he wanted the 49ers passing game to be independent of the run game - meaning pass plays that succeed on their own and not because of the system. This was my inspiration to making this series of cutups.

None of these throws are plays where there is a clear predefined read. Most of them will be basic play designs that are in every NFL playbook, but it's up to the QB to read the coverage and make the correct decision. The reason I chose plays like this is it eliminates the plays where Kyle's great play design works to get a receiver wide open, or plays where there is a very clear, defined read that makes it easy for the QB to determine the target.
------
Week 9: 3rd & 11
Dwelley lines up inline to the left side of the offensive formation, then motions into the backfield. The purple safety follows Dwelley. This gives a man coverage presnap read.

This is the presnap picture just before the snap. With the purple safety following Dwelley, the weakside CB pressing Sanders, and a single high safety (blue) in the middle, this looks like Cover 1 man coverage.
The 49ers are running a 'Hank' concept. This is a horizontal stretch to the underneath zone defenders. The orange, red, and yellow routes look to create a 3 vs 2 situation. 49ers use a reduced split (WRs lined up inside the numbers). This will cause the CBs to play with outside leverage - this plays a role later.
This is usually a 5 step rhythm passing concept. With the 49ers needing 9 yards, they modify it to 7 step timing (shotgun snap = 2, plus a 5 step drop)

At the snap, the purple and blue safeties both run into a Cover 2 position. The yellow Mike LB faces the strongside and quickly gains depth - it's Tampa 2 coverage.

Jimmy's read is the two red hook/curl defenders (red) and how they react to Bourne's route. Whichever of the red LBs cheat towards Bourne, throw it to the Curl route on that same side of the field. The 3 vs 2 here is Bourne/Deebo/Sanders vs the two hook/curl defenders.

As soon as the weakside hook/curl defender (red) cheats toward Bourne, Jimmy sets his eyes on Sanders. The spacing between Deebo and Bourne is too close, that's why Jimmy didn't target Deebo.
The two Curl routes from Deebo and Sanders both give a head fake to the outside, to attack the leverage of the CBs that are playing with outside leverage. This gets those outside CBs on their heels, to set up the curl towards the inside

Although the CB on Sanders is playing it tight, Jimmy reads the leverage and knows that there is room towards the inside of Sanders due to the weakside hook/curl defender cheating towards Bourne.

With pressure in his face, Jimmy locates this ball to the inside to that Sanders can push off and win the position battle.

+16. Even with the CB all over Sanders, Jimmy makes a good leverage read and throws it to an area that only Sanders can get to.

That's awesome. I don't think I appreciated that throw at the time. Seeing it again and seeing him hang back and scan the field and getting that in there under pressure definitely makes me feel all warm and fuzzy....but also makes me miss Sanders

Hope we can find a stud rookie to replace him.
^^^that WAS awesome, and thanks Thl for highlighting it. No, I never REALLY saw this play , tho I did watch it. The cleverness of the, design, the tiniest of openings, and more remarkably the pinpoint accuracy of Jimmy finding that "hole" , not to mention actually seeing the entire field and knowing exactly where (and where NOT ) to throw, makes me appreciate him all the more. I just hope JL takes the reigns this yr and protects our FR QB instead of allowing kyle to bring in yet another High round upper echelon WR pick.

No i am not against having a great WR, but there comes a time, for example after the pummeling JG took during the SB, when the HC/GM HAVE TO protect our QB. I think JL appreciates this all too well, but has conceded WRs to kyle with high picks all along. It is obvious now we have to do what should rightly have been done to start with...protect our Franchise guy, Jimmy.

Like Genus, i also hope we can find a stud rookie to replace Emmanuel...just not before we address 2 OLs,(one being a C who may need a yr of coaching up), at least one but hopefully 2 cover CBs, a DT potential starter backup for Dee and replacement for Buckner.

The bad news is we currently don't have any picks between #31 and #151, where a schid load of talent sits. It appears pretty certain we will be moving down, in one, but more likely in both picks at #13 and #31 . The good news is we have multiple picks in rds 5 and 6 , where we have had money picks with guys like Kittle, DJ Jones,(maybe he was a 3rd?), and TT. Late rd offensive picks surely must have had kyle's Imprint on them, but this is a two man chore, and so far, these guys have overall had excellent success.

As for moving down, at #13, if we target an OL, it should be easy to swap with someone for a shot at a shiny new WR at #13...but we don't want to slide down very far and lose our chance at the targeted OL. Anywhere from 1-3 slots would be a maximum drop down. At #31, we probably have more room to drop down and nail our target, be he OL, CB, DT, or WR. Just as long as we don't drop below where we can still get our targeted guy (or guys).

We have to have a pair of starters from this draft, but the goal should be 4 starters. If we can pull that off, SB here we come. But if we nailed down 3 sure fire starters, i would be ecstatic.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
^^^that WAS awesome, and thanks Thl for highlighting it. No, I never REALLY saw this play , tho I did watch it. The cleverness of the, design, the tiniest of openings, and more remarkably the pinpoint accuracy of Jimmy finding that "hole" , not to mention actually seeing the entire field and knowing exactly where (and where NOT ) to throw, makes me appreciate him all the more. I just hope JL takes the reigns this yr and protects our FR QB instead of allowing kyle to bring in yet another High round upper echelon WR pick.

No i am not against having a great WR, but there comes a time, for example after the pummeling JG took during the SB, when the HC/GM HAVE TO protect our QB. I think JL appreciates this all too well, but has conceded WRs to kyle with high picks all along. It is obvious now we have to do what should rightly have been done to start with...protect our Franchise guy, Jimmy.

Like Genus, i also hope we can find a stud rookie to replace Emmanuel...just not before we address 2 OLs,(one being a C who may need a yr of coaching up), at least one but hopefully 2 cover CBs, a DT potential starter backup for Dee and replacement for Buckner.

The bad news is we currently don't have any picks between #31 and #151, where a schid load of talent sits. It appears pretty certain we will be moving down, in one, but more likely in both picks at #13 and #31 . The good news is we have multiple picks in rds 5 and 6 , where we have had money picks with guys like Kittle, DJ Jones,(maybe he was a 3rd?), and TT. Late rd offensive picks surely must have had kyle's Imprint on them, but this is a two man chore, and so far, these guys have overall had excellent success.

As for moving down, at #13, if we target an OL, it should be easy to swap with someone for a shot at a shiny new WR at #13...but we don't want to slide down very far and lose our chance at the targeted OL. Anywhere from 1-3 slots would be a maximum drop down. At #31, we probably have more room to drop down and nail our target, be he OL, CB, DT, or WR. Just as long as we don't drop below where we can still get our targeted guy (or guys).

We have to have a pair of starters from this draft, but the goal should be 4 starters. If we can pull that off, SB here we come. But if we nailed down 3 sure fire starters, i would be ecstatic.

IF we had a stud instead of Person and a stud center instead of Garland you know we would have won the Super Bowl, right? It is that simple,

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Shanny should bring in cam newton and have an open competition at qb. The other guy can be back up. Cam would give the offense a different element of mobility and more arm strength for deeper throws. Maybe can use him like a tasom hill.
Originally posted by susweel:
Shanny should bring in cam newton and have an open competition at qb. The other guy can be back up. Cam would give the offense a different element of mobility and more arm strength for deeper throws. Maybe can use him like a tasom hill.

The missing element of the Shanny systems...a broken old QB with a completion percentage in the 50s.
Originally posted by walker807:

The missing element of the Shanny systems...a broken old QB with a completion percentage in the 50s.

lol.

So we can revisit Kaepernick 2015-16, the guy Shanahan couldn't get rid of fast enough in favor of a journeyman QB like Hoyer to get his system up and running. Think about that really .
Originally posted by walker807:

Hes two years older than jimmy....
Share 49ersWebzone