LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 304 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Okay now I'm starting to get a little nervous...

I'd lose a lot of respect for Lynch if this happened, honestly.

A team could trade us a 1st and change for Jimmy and I would still hate it

Yep. It's an idiotic idea. Brady is finished. Like OJ Simpson was finished.
This. We would INSTANTLY be a much worse football team with Brady under center instead of Jimmy. Brady either stays in NE, or possibly goes to Las Vegas to play for the Raiders. It would be poetic for him to be in silver and black, since the Patriots dynasty was sent into motion against them.
[ Edited by PuckFarag10 on Mar 3, 2020 at 3:17 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
The part about having a best FB is the key difference in this SF offense and the ATL offense. I'm assuming that while Kyle used a FB in ATL, it wasn't as frequent as here in SF. The best part about having a FB on the field is the threat of run. The 2019 offense started there, and branched out from it. Which is why there was so much playaction in 2019.

Greg Cossell said something that was very interesting in one of his post SB interviews. For years he raved about how Kyle's offense did a great job of marrying the run game to the passing game. All that horizontal boot action where plays started out looking the same to the defense. But after the SB loss, he said he wanted to see the passing game be more independent of the run game. What I think he's saying is that he wants to see Jimmy function better as a pure dropback passer.

If Kyle feels the same way, I wonder if the next installment of this offense is to have more spread formations and less playaction. Not because Juice isn't an asset, but because the offense needs to also function well without the aid of playaction, so that there's an additional layer to the passing game. In 2019, with so much 21 personnel, and the 49ers using playaction when in 21, that somewhat limited what the offense can do in terms of route concepts since there are two RBs in the backfield where it takes a longer duration for those RBs to get into a downfield route.

Jimmy played in a spread offense in college and NE had a lot of spread concepts. If Kyle takes a step away from all the tight formations and 21 personnel, he'd be doing Jimmy a favor and getting back to Jimmy's roots.
Agreed, which coincidentally jives with what Steve Young has said over the years and continues to say whenever the topic comes up: In order for NFL qbs to be successful long-term they have to become proficient drop-back pocket passers. Plain and simple. That's why guys like Montana, Young, Aikman, Favre, Elway, Marino, Brady, Big Ben, etc have multiple rings while the running qbs like Cunningham, Vick, Kap, Lamar and Murray don't. I have been saying the passing game must evolve and become a legit threat by NEXT SEASON or the team has no chance of getting back to the SB let alone winning it.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
talking about this brady coming to the 49ers is nonsense
It's Brady + a 1st and maybe a 2nd or 3rd (if we were to trade Jimmy G).

I'd do that right now and trade that 1st and our 1st up for Tua. Groom tua under Brady! Booya!
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
It sure why there is so much angst in this thread. By this time next year we'll be talking about how Tom Brady won us the Super Bowl and is officially the Goat.

This guy gets it...

I was just messing around.
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by Goatie:
More to the point if Grant Cohn and all the Wz lunatics are right and Jimmy G is such a bust that we trade our FQB for an old man who will be using a walking frame this coming season, is why would Bill Belichick want Jimmy back and want to let Brady go?

Doesn't it follow that BB, one of the best coaches in the NFL, would think he has the key to coaching out (the imagined) short comings of JG whereas Kyle and co are so hopeless they missed them and didn't know how to coach JG?

This is the stupidity of the whole proposition. "Jimmy is so hopeless going forward for the 49ers that we have to hand him back to BB like he was on warranty and BB will accept him back with open arms because JG is so hopeless"

But the Moon Howlers on here think it is pure genius

Exactly. It's all a media circle jerk to get the 49ers one theoretical SB with Brady and the Patriots another 5 with Belichick/Jimmy G.

The TB/JG rumor leaks are merely out there to leverage TB into a better deal with either the Pats or Titans. Obviously, no reasonable and rational person thinks it's a legit possibility. I know I don't
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PuckFarag10:
This. We would INSTANTLY be a much worse football team with Brady under center instead of Jimmy. Brady either stays in NE, or possibly goes to Las Vegas to play for the Raiders. It would be poetic for him to be in silver and black, since the Patriots dynasty was sent into motion against them.

it would be like montana at the end. spend so much time worrying about brady getting hurt. in the last year joe and young played.. all of a sudden i found myself having a heart attack whenever they would get hit.
Originally posted by Method:
It's Brady + a 1st and maybe a 2nd or 3rd (if we were to trade Jimmy G).

I'd do that right now and trade that 1st and our 1st up for Tua. Groom tua under Brady! Booya!

This is exactly what I was thinking but I don't think it's realistic at all.

It's the only way I could stomach it because at least we still have a future. Otherwise we're stuck in QB-less hell again in two years.
[ Edited by Fanaticofnfl on Mar 3, 2020 at 3:47 PM ]
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
It sure why there is so much angst in this thread. By this time next year we'll be talking about how Tom Brady won us the Super Bowl and is officially the Goat.

This guy gets it...

I was just messing around.

im surprised fans aren't able to see the difference at this point honestly. it's gonna be a long offseason. if fans get riled up that easily s**t I don't blame you and others at all lol
The part about having a best FB is the key difference in this SF offense and the ATL offense. I'm assuming that while Kyle used a FB in ATL, it wasn't as frequent as here in SF. The best part about having a FB on the field is the threat of run. The 2019 offense started there, and branched out from it. Which is why there was so much playaction in 2019.

Greg Cossell said something that was very interesting in one of his post SB interviews. For years he raved about how Kyle's offense did a great job of marrying the run game to the passing game. All that horizontal boot action where plays started out looking the same to the defense. But after the SB loss, he said he wanted to see the passing game be more independent of the run game. What I think he's saying is that he wants to see Jimmy function better as a pure dropback passer.

If Kyle feels the same way, I wonder if the next installment of this offense is to have more spread formations and less playaction. Not because Juice isn't an asset, but because the offense needs to also function well without the aid of playaction, so that there's an additional layer to the passing game. In 2019, with so much 21 personnel, and the 49ers using playaction when in 21, that somewhat limited what the offense can do in terms of route concepts since there are two RBs in the backfield where it takes a longer duration for those RBs to get into a downfield route.

Jimmy played in a spread offense in college and NE had a lot of spread concepts. If Kyle takes a step away from all the tight formations and 21 personnel, he'd be doing Jimmy a favor and getting back to Jimmy's roots.

I don't want to become the Saints, but I do think we should push to get the passing game developed a lot more without the aid of play action like you said.

That would be the last step IMO to becoming a team that will be an undeniable Super Bowl champion. The 2016 Falcons couldn't truly run the ball when they needed to and the 2019 49ers couldn't pass the ball when they needed to. A marriage of what those two offenses did really well would be the best team in the NFL for sure.

I'm sure Niners816 can dial up the stats, but I'm pretty sure we threw more with Jimmy in 2017 and 2018 than we did last year, by percentage of plays.

I want this year to be about getting Jimmy to the next level. I'd much rather the 49ers be a 10-6 wildcard that's fully developed offensively than find another way to go 12-4/13-3 at all costs.

Maybe practice is a part of what made the running game go ballistic finally in the postseason, but I can't imagine we wouldn't fare well leaning on it when needed next season.

In a way it sounds like I'm preaching to turn into the 2018 Rams, but the big difference here is that their run game was not sophisticated that much, and plus they had/have better WRs.

Originally posted by SteveYoung8:
Agreed, which coincidentally jives with what Steve Young has said over the years and continues to say whenever the topic comes up: In order for NFL qbs to be successful long-term they have to become proficient drop-back pocket passers. Plain and simple. That's why guys like Montana, Young, Aikman, Favre, Elway, Marino, Brady, Big Ben, etc have multiple rings while the running qbs like Cunningham, Vick, Kap, Lamar and Murray don't. I have been saying the passing game must evolve and become a legit threat by NEXT SEASON or the team has no chance of getting back to the SB let alone winning it.

Totally agree.

Guys like Philip Rivers, Big Ben, Brees just to name a few.

Wilson, Lamar still aren't proficient drop back pocket passers and I doubt they ever will be. They'll be in the regular season in terms of production but come playoff time they'll be done early.

If Jimmy plays in one more NFC Championship Game, he will have played in as many as Wilson has his entire career. Let's just keep that in mind when looking at the big perspective here because once upon a time Wilson was motherf**kin CARRIED.

I'm officially very, very worried

I know "it's just Cowherd" but he was literally just saying about 7-8 hours ago that he thought the Brady/49ers rumors were just garbage media spewing and baseless for ALL the reasons that were discussed on here.

Now that he's suddenly flip-flopped I ain't feeling good about it anymore
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by genus49:
Helmet to helmet is not an opinion call. It's clear cut.

I'm not saying we lost just because of that but cc or anyone else trying to pretend anyone who references the bad non calls to be excuses that don't matter aren't correct.

It's not crying about officials to say the helmet to helmet call was missed. That's a fact. You can make that claim and still point out that the 49ers had their chances to still win the game.

Okay but they missed a hands to the face against Mahomes too. Be honest, have you ever seen a game where every call and every replay was exactly the way you saw it. I wonder how many would be willing to admit it if the calls had gone in our favor. My guess is we would be saying we outplayed them and KC fans are whiners.

Hands to the face isn't the same thing as helmet to helmet so let's not make that comparison. Brushing your hand against the helmet of a QB isn't the same as hitting the QB with your helmet to his chin.

Any time we get a call/no call our way I'll admit it and say we got lucky to get away with it. I've never seen an issue owning up to refs giving us something if it actually happened. I'm not going back to talking officiating in that game but that is one they need to call and pointing it out isn't making excuses. Just stating a fact.
  • thl408
Originally posted by SteveYoung8:

I wonder how much 2019's success prevented Jimmy from development. That sounds odd to say, but as a developing QB you want to have plays called that you can rep and learn from. In the second half of the 2019 season, the 49ers were in 'win now' mode, not 'develop a QB' mode. Kyle had to dial up plays that had the best chance of succeeding and that isn't always the same thing as what's best for Jimmy's developmental growth as a passer.

Just to illustrate what I mean. Here are two plays from week 17. Both are successful plays, but one is success through scheme, the other is success through conventional QB'ing.
This is a 12 yard gain. After playaction that sucks in the LBs, Sanders is open. Just a two man route concept to the playside - there's a very defined, clear read for Jimmy.

Here's a play where there are two route concepts in play (Drive concept over the middle, Fade/Out to the left, jonnydel calls it 'Ohio' in his videos). Jimmy makes a presnap read, takes the snap, confirms his presnap read, and decides on his target. Jimmy has options on which route concept to work based on coverage.
This is conventional QBing and is where Jimmy, and Kyle's SF offense, is to make the leap in development. Just an 8 yard gain, but shows Jimmy making a read to make a throw, unlike the play above where the run game and passing game is married and play action helps to scheme a WR open. It's not like Jimmy can't do it, he just needs to rep it - a lot - to get better. Kyle being a great play caller/designer is a good thing, but it can slow a QB's development if he's always calling great plays that makes it easier for the QB.

I think this play here is an example of what Greg Cossell meant when he said he wants the SF passing game to be independent of the running game.
this ishh is madness
Share 49ersWebzone