LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 290 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Both NY and Random have made decent points, but I am sliding with random (not on questioning needing a new QB, but on analysis). Jimmy needs to attack all parts of the field more. One of the only reasons I brought Alex Smith up a couple days ago is the fact that in the Superbowl (and certain times throughout the year), Jimmy was not attempting passes to certain areas of the field. This makes life for the defense INCREDIBLY easier. That is not a good thing.

Also NY, you are falling into a trap that I cannot stand. There is a massive difference between watching NFL football and making incorrect statements about it and watching a college game and projecting how said player is going to be at the next level. Some people do this on here ALL THE TIME, and it is NOT the same thing.

One is a projection/hypothesis/guess and the other is not understanding what you are seeing. The are totally different things.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Feb 22, 2020 at 1:22 PM ]
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Both NY and Random have made decent points, but I am sliding with random (not on questioning needing a new QB, but on analysis). Jimmy needs to attack all parts of the field more. One of the only reasons I brought Alex Smith up a couple days ago is the fact that in the Superbowl (and certain times throughout the year), Jimmy was not attempting passes to certain areas of the field. This makes life for the defense INCREDIBLY easier. That is not a good thing.

Also NY, you are falling into a trap that I cannot stand. There is a massive difference between watching NFL football and making incorrect statements about it and watching a college game and projecting how said player is going to be at the next level. Some people do this on here ALL THE TIME, and it is NOT the same thing.

One is a projection/hypothesis/guess and the other is not understanding what you are seeing. The are totally different things.

Jimmy attacked the parts of the field Kyle tells him to. Kyle is calling the plays and Jimmy is executing them as told to by Kyle according to his progressions following who is open.
[ Edited by Goatie on Feb 22, 2020 at 1:49 PM ]

I have random on ignore so I can only imagine what he's pulling with his analysis but Jimmy no attacking all areas of the field has a lot more to do with the guys we have out there and his knee versus lack of desire of fear in doing so.

Throwing away passes when we don't have the tools to hit them at at least the typical pace isn't smart. Would you honestly think it's better for the team for Jimmy to just let the ball rip deep to the outside even if we don't have the guys to get there and get it? If we don't have the pass pro to give Jimmy the time to make the throw?
Originally posted by Goatie:
Jimmy attached the parts of the field Kyle tells him to. Kyle is calling the plays and Jimmy is executing them as told to by Kyle according to his progressions following who is open.

The unintended implication you are making is that Kyle's system is essentially designed to ignore parts of the field. I cant imagine that is the case.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Bringing up Bosa in't deflecting anything. It's an example of how you are in this forum with your comments. You go out of your way to argue and belittle anyone who doesn't agree with you. You find any sort of "fact" and label that as the only possible reality.

Bosa is a health concern because of genetics. His dad got hurt and his brother at some pt, so obviously he's gonna be hurt not realizing that it's football and people get hurt regardless.

He's got short arms, so he will suck vs tackles who have long arms (which is basically every tackle in the NFL) YET not bringing up that he's a technique savant with real power and + bend/explosion. Hero who's opinion I actually value backs up that comment as gibberish. BUT never the less you went on doing you...YouR comments come off as someone who thinks they know everyone and don't value other people's input or opinion EVEN if they are more knowledgeable then yourself from a football standpoint.

Back to JG.

I agree the sample size is small. I also gave some reasons as to why it might be....

-No deep threat
-Our best receiver is a TE who runs his routes in the middle of the field
-We lost our starting OTs for months
-Lost our best IOL PP after the saints game (where JG was airing it out)
-Look at our personnel overall, it is built to throw a f**k ton of vertical routes OR is it built to run the ball, get the ball out quickly, and get YAC?? Our IOL is clearly better at RB vs PP.
-SF actually had the most explosive plays in the NFL this yr and we're 2nd on overall pts. Didn't really need to throw the ball deep on low percentage plays.

Look I'm not gonna argue with you for an hr over this. It's Saturday and I'm not getting banned because of you.

I agree it's a small sample size BUT in that sample size he did well, which has been my pt with JG. That article was never intended to say he's Mahomes 2.0 and if you read the whole thing it talks about the good/bad....he's not incapable of throwing it deep. He needs help to negate pressure and have an actual deep threat.

I agree they need to add an outside threat and have that aspect of the offense.

Done arguing over this.

Intelligent post. Thank you,
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Jimmy attached the parts of the field Kyle tells him to. Kyle is calling the plays and Jimmy is executing them as told to by Kyle according to his progressions following who is open.

The unintended implication you are making is that Kyle's system is essentially designed to ignore parts of the field. I cant imagine that is the case.

So by implication you are saying Jimmy has free reign in Kyle's system to throw it anywhere he wants and is allowed to improvise on any play? Realistic? I don't think so.
Originally posted by genus49:
I have random on ignore so I can only imagine what he's pulling with his analysis but Jimmy no attacking all areas of the field has a lot more to do with the guys we have out there and his knee versus lack of desire of fear in doing so.

Throwing away passes when we don't have the tools to hit them at at least the typical pace isn't smart. Would you honestly think it's better for the team for Jimmy to just let the ball rip deep to the outside even if we don't have the guys to get there and get it? If we don't have the pass pro to give Jimmy the time to make the throw?

All random is really saying is that Jimmy being high up in completion percentage on long passes can be explained by throwing less of them than almost anyone in football, and him almost never throwing long outside the hashes. You can say what you want about him as a poster but this is a really good point.

I also dont buy that this is a lack of speed from the WRs issue either. So we dont have a Tyreek Hill. It's not like we have a bunch of guys running 4.8 40s out there. Offensive line needs some work but it's not like they are a terrible unit either.

So by implication you are saying Jimmy has free reign in Kyle's system to throw it anywhere he wants and is allowed to improvise on any play? Realistic? I don't think so.

Lol what? That's what you got from my reply?
Originally posted by TheBhagwan:
Alex Smith > Jimmy Garoppolo

Can mods just ban this dude? Clearly not here for anything but trolling with thus garbage.

Bhagwan, you are entitled to your opinion, which is standard on the WZ. I liked Alex and thot he was a very good qB, which was a minority opinion as time went on. Our coaching was crap, i will agree with that. Now, if you wish to continue to post that Alex is better than JimmyG, i will be delighted to sit you down after you get done with your most recent timeout. Except mine will be for twice as long. You are trolling and that is what gets you a timeout. I'd be happy to sit you down a month or two. So no mas ok? We have heard your opinion once and that is plenty. Any more and that is just trolling which gets you shut out of posting here.
Let's try this another way Goatie. Maybe you will get it this time.

You say Kyle calls the plays and Jimmy executes as designed. Lets say I agree completely.

My question to you is, do you think Kyle's system ignores certain areas of the field, or do you think he simply doesnt use his plays that dial up long throws down the sideline very much?

I believe it's the latter. He has plays to attack those areas, but he doesnt use them often.

The question is why?

This is where the disagreement starts.

• LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by TheBhagwan:
Alex Smith > Jimmy Garoppolo

The only thing Alex has ever done better than Jimmy is throwing the ball way instead of forcing or taking a sack. His best attribute was not completing a pass lol.

JG >>> Smith ... ALL DAY

HOWEVER

Those "not completing a pass" ....if he made use of his "best attributes" I guess he wouldn't have thrown the INT by the goal line (forcing it to Crabcake) in the SB against the Ratbirds, Maybe he doesn't throw two picks to the Queefs in this last SB

Maybe then the run game / Defense would've won at least one SB out of the last two for us

All random is really saying is that Jimmy being high up in completion percentage on long passes can be explained by throwing less of them than almost anyone in football, and him almost never throwing long outside the hashes. You can say what you want about him as a poster but this is a really good point.

I also dont buy that this is a lack of speed from the WRs issue either. So we dont have a Tyreek Hill. It's not like we have a bunch of guys running 4.8 40s out there. Offensive line needs some work but it's not like they are a terrible unit either.

I think that point is a convenient leap without much substance outside of being one that cannot be proven but it goes both ways. You can say he's up on the list because he doesn't have a lot of attempts and specially to outside the hash and technically you can't be proven wrong but at the same time we don't know what happens if he threw more...it's an assumption the accuracy dips but can't be proven one way or another.

For instance Drew Brees has been considered to be a very good deep ball thrower...check his numbers. Now you can say it's simply because he's older and his arm isn't as good but people don't want to bring up Jimmy playing post ACL which affects things.

I think this list shows that Jimmy can throw it deep but we all know the offense needs to improve at it overall to really take it to another level. That's because we need better protection, we need better guys on the outside who can go deep and we need Jimmy to have better timing with those guys.

How can he "attack" other parts of the field when he doesn't have the proper personnel to do this? Their best WR is Kittle. Where does he run most of his routes? Our field stretcher couldn't stay on the field and had butter fingers. Toss in losing our starting tackles for months, and losing our best PP in the interior.

You know what I call a trap? Not bringing up personnel and scheme. This team is clearly built to run the ball, get the ball out quickly and get YAC.

Do you think this team is built or be this vertical offense?
How can he "attack" other parts of the field when he doesn't have the proper personnel to do this? Their best WR is Kittle. Where does he run most of his routes? Our field stretcher couldn't stay on the field and had butter fingers. Toss in losing our starting tackles for months, and losing our best PP in the interior.

You know what I call a trap? Not bringing up personnel and scheme. This team is clearly built to run the ball, get the ball out quickly and get YAC.

So you just brought up what I was asking Goatie. Saying scheme is the reason we dont throw out there I dont buy. Kyle's system has never all but ignored areas of the field. His system attacks everything.

I think personnel is a bit overstated, but we dont have a true 4.3 type burner. This team does have speed. More than you would expect, if one was to look at the lack of downfield passes.

I know this isnt a vertical offense, but this is much less vertical than other Kyle led offenses.

Exactly. The threat of a deep ball is great and like I said if we get it, it will really make us dangerous but think about who our key guys were for Jimmy second half of the season

Sanders - brought in halfway through the season. How much time did he and Jimmy get to work on the deep ball timing?

I can recall 3 deep plays to Sanders.
Saints game where ball was kind of underthrown but Saints DB falls and Sanders has time to get up and score.
Rams 3rd and 16 play where ball is a little underthrown again but Jimmy was hit as he throws.
Super Bowl - overthrow

Seems to me Jimmy didn't want to make the same mistake given the opening and put a little too much on it. Had they had a full offseason or more together to work on that timing maybe it's not an issue.

Deebo - looks like a promising player but the bulk of his work was short/mid and him getting YAC. We went deep to him a couple of times with mixed results but once again...a rookie who came in and had a lot of learning to do and he and Jimmy didn't get much time to work on chemistry for deep ball timing.

Bourne - only WR who has been around since Jimmy got here and they had some good chemistry but Bourne isn't a deep guy.

So the guys who played late in the year that he was most comfortable with were Kittle and Bourne and people wonder why we didn't air it out outside the hashmarks?
Share 49ersWebzone