There are 54 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Tired of hearing the "21 points in 6 minutes" argument. It wasnt 21 points. It was 2 touchdowns and a garbage time/irrelevant score.

That is not the same thing.

The last TD wasn't what lost us the game but had we stopped them from getting that run we would've gotten the ball back with a chance to win the game so the defense giving up that run definitely counts.

But all the score did was give Chief fans a hard on so they can claim the game wasn't close somehow.
Originally posted by genus49:
This is all assuming our core guys stay healthy - a must for any team trying to make a SB run.

But what I like about our chances to get back is I'm expecting a big jump from the guy we're discussing in this thread.

Some people chose to concentrate on the failure in the SB and certainly that stings...if there is one game you want to see a QB get the job done it's in the SB as you never know when you may/if you may be back there to atone for it. However fact is still that this was Jimmy's first full season starting.

It was a season where he was coming off an ACL injury - an injury that by all accounts takes QBs a full two years to be 100% recovered.

It was a season where his best WRs were guys who were either rookies or traded for mid season.

I think Jimmy being further removed from the injury and able to spend this offseason working on his game instead of rehabbing most of it and being able to work on chemistry with most of the guys he'll likely play with next season will go a long way to a step forward in the passing game and as a result the offensive production and consistency whether we're running or throwing the ball.

I think the defense is going to return most of the key guys and we're going to make sure if any holes open up we do our best to fill them in.

This team will be ready to play. If we're healthy a return trip isn't out of the question. Obviously it's hard to get back because even if you make the playoffs one off game and you're not going back there.

I think this roster being so young and hungry they'll avoid the mental issues that sometimes destroy SB losers.

Just looking at the losers the last few years to see what happened with them

Rams - loses along the OL, injury to Gurley and McVay/Goff combo being "figured out"(didn't make the playoffs)
Pats - went on to win the SB next year
Falcons - Lost Kyle Shanahan, mental hurdle of losing a 28-3 game with no officiating questions does a number to a team and they overachieved that year due to Kyle/Ryan combo anyways. Defense was bottom 5 in the league. (lost in the Divisional Round to the SB winner)
Panthers - Legit think Newton not diving for his own fumble lost him the team. Missed some games and played nowhere near his MVP season the year prior(didn't make playoffs)
Seahawks - We all heard the internal fighting over the goalline interception. Injuries to Lynch, Chancellor, also lost Dan Quinn at DC(lost to Panthers in divisional round)
Broncos - Lost Moreno and Decker on offense. Did bring in Sanders but couldn't replicate same success on offense as year prior with injuries and probably just choked vs the Colts in the Divisional round.
49ers - We know what happened :( definitely should've been back. IMO that BS Ahmad Brooks call on Drew Brees is what cost us. We play at home and we're going back and taking out Denver.
Patriots - just weren't a great team on D and injuries to Welker/Gronk mid season prevented them from overcoming their D like it did year prior when they went to the SB(Lost to Baltimore)
Pittsburgh - got screwed being a 12-4 team and having to go on the road to a 9-7 Broncos where Tim Tebow beat them in OT
Colts - Coaching changes, injuries, lost to the Jets

Overall this team is one of the best overall squads to have lost a SB in the stretch above and the team is in a good position to maintain the bulk of the roster, with limited coaching changes and a roster full of players who SHOULD improve.

Nothing is guaranteed of course but just because the track record of SB losers coming back isn't great it doesn't automatically mean it cannot happen. We ourselves were inches away from making it happen.

Great post!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by All22:
I like our chances. Many teams don't make it back to the Superbowl because their coaching staff gets raided (ATL), the Superbowl exposes their schematic weaknesses (Rams) their rookie contracts expire and they have to pay their QB top-dollar (Ravens, Seahawks, Saints, Packers), and suddenly they can't afford the team anymore.

Like Seattle, our window basically exists until we can no longer afford our passrush. They have Wilson to keep their offense good-enough, and we have Kyle. Kyle can create a top offense without a bunch of first rounders so as long as we keep drafting enough pass rush and defense to be at least average on that side of the ball, then we should remain contenders.

Me too. My only concern is that Seattle and others have a lot of cap space. Brees is coming back. The NFC is stacked.

We're not going to gain in talent this year...hoping to just keep the house in order and great health.

Only good thing is we've seen first hand that free agency doesn't always guarantee great results. Whether it's Nate Clements, Nnamdi Asomugha, Albert Haynesworth, Jonas Jennings, Antonio Langham, etc....

I'd rather take care of our own house to keep guys we know can play in this scheme, good for this locker room and not go heavy in FA on unknowns who could do well but could also be a big waste of cash.

Hopefully our improvements come at growth/improvement from our young core who keep getting better and our QB really putting it together this offseason and coming out to shut up a lot of doubters next season and beyond.

We'll see how Drew Brees plays next year. Father time is breathing down the back of his neck for sure.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by Goatie:
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by Kyzen:
Lol, it's a shame that some of you guys have your blinders on so tight that you are cutting off the oxygen to your thinking organs.

If Jimmy scores one single TD during that 6 mins, once on a short field.....we win #6.

Any objective fan anywhere in this world can admit that.

...or make one simple stop on defense.

"Any objective fan anywhere in this world can admit that."

Can you????

20 points will hardly ever win a SB. It is that simple.

So, no.

20 points is not enough.
One more stop would have led to one more turnover on downs. The offense had to help a little.

49ers were 2nd in the league in scoring averaging almost 30 points a game. couldnt put more than 20 up against a mediocre defense like the Chiefs....

offense didnt pull their weight in the end like we're used to seeing....... period.

The Chief's defense was anything but mediocre in the Super Bowl. Particularly in the final quarter. They were smashing our Oline and getting to Jimmy and on at least two occasions batted down his passes. There were all over us like a cheap suit.

Yeah, their defense stepped up, unlike our defense.

our defense held the chiefs to 10 points for 3 quarters straight and got 2 picks. when Mahomes hadn't thrown any in like 150+ attempts.

It's a 60 minute game for both sides of the ball.

It's fair to say the defense did their part for most of the game and the offense wasn't able to close it out given all the opportunities.

My issue is with several people in this thread acting like Jimmy not getting any points in the 4th is the only reason we lost the game.

So many things could've gone differently and we likely win the game.

Holding called on the 3rd and 15 play - we likely win
D doesn't misplay the 3rd and 15 play - we likely win
Chris Jones doesn't bat one of those passes down - we likely win
Jimmy hits Sanders for the TD - we likely win
Offense doesn't move away from the run in the 4th - we likely win
Defense mixes things up a little with their pressure in the 4th- we likely win
OL picks up the KC blitz better - we likely win

When you have so many things that could've gone differently and the result likely changes blaming the QB for the loss and forgetting all the other things that went wrong in the 4th quarter is stupid. Either that or people just trolling or hating on Jimmy.

Good post. You should but an i after the n in your profile name.

I would also add had the O Line provide some decent pass protection in the final Q to allow Jimmy some time to find someone open rather then letting the rushers through and smashing Jimmy to the ground with just enough time to throw the ball away may have allowed our drives to be more effective.

D shouldn't have been playing man coverage as even Sherman could not keep up with Hill when he was running flat out.

Mosley should have stuck to his assignments.

Salah should have been playing two safeties in the last Q.
Only good thing is we've seen first hand that free agency doesn't always guarantee great results. Whether it's Nate Clements, Nnamdi Asomugha, Albert Haynesworth, Jonas Jennings, Antonio Langham, etc....

I'd rather take care of our own house to keep guys we know can play in this scheme, good for this locker room and not go heavy in FA on unknowns who could do well but could also be a big waste of cash.

Hopefully our improvements come at growth/improvement from our young core who keep getting better and our QB really putting it together this offseason and coming out to shut up a lot of doubters next season and beyond.

We'll see how Drew Brees plays next year. Father time is breathing down the back of his neck for sure.

Definitely. Trade or outside FA, not every player works out like Emmanuel Sanders worked out. My point about Seattle is that they were an inch away from being in our driver's seat with many more resources to boot. The NFCW and NFC in general is insanely talented and deep. Realistically, it's going to be hard to get back. We're not the Pat's playing in that cream puff division for the last 12 years where they can just develop young players for 16 games and tune up for the playoffs without any real threat of NOT making the playoffs. It's going to be another great battle just to make the playoffs. Can we though? Absolutely!

Definitely. Trade or outside FA, not every player works out like Emmanuel Sanders worked out. My point about Seattle is that they were an inch away from being in our driver's seat with many more resources to boot. The NFCW and NFC in general is insanely talented and deep. Realistically, it's going to be hard to get back. We're not the Pat's playing in that cream puff division for the last 12 years where they can just develop young players for 16 games and tune up for the playoffs without any real threat of NOT making the playoffs. It's going to be another great battle just to make the playoffs. Can we though? Absolutely!

Yeah I get it but I just don't know how much longer Seattle can keep that horse shoe up their ass...surely it's going to fall out any minute now and it will all crumble around them?

It was honestly super frustrating that those guys had a chance to win the division the way they played versus the way our guys played all year.

The division and schedule definitely won't be easy but I think the defense can keep playing well and the offense should get better with Jimmy. Of course as we know injuries can fuk up should bes very quickly. So we HAVE to finally stay healthy. We managed to get by this year but now depth is going to be really tested as the cap situation becomes an issue.

Hopefully Bosa, Deebo and Greenlaw can have their versions of Kittle like 2nd season, we stay healthy and Jimmy balls out as we get back there and run away with it this time(no pun intended)

Now much to ask for :D
Yeah I get it but I just don't know how much longer Seattle can keep that horse shoe up their ass...surely it's going to fall out any minute now and it will all crumble around them?

It was honestly super frustrating that those guys had a chance to win the division the way they played versus the way our guys played all year.

The division and schedule definitely won't be easy but I think the defense can keep playing well and the offense should get better with Jimmy. Of course as we know injuries can fuk up should bes very quickly. So we HAVE to finally stay healthy. We managed to get by this year but now depth is going to be really tested as the cap situation becomes an issue.

Hopefully Bosa, Deebo and Greenlaw can have their versions of Kittle like 2nd season, we stay healthy and Jimmy balls out as we get back there and run away with it this time(no pun intended)

Now much to ask for :D

Haha. You didn't know God was a Russell Wilson fan? And by God, I mean Roger GODdell who's league is $pon$ored by those inbred 12 fan$ $ up there. Haha. But for real, the luck is ridiculous...every single year.

No question about the health. That said, the depth really helped carry us this year with 16 players on I.R. despite so many big time players missing critical games.

Year 2 for JG in the WCO. NFCW is going to be a freaking dog fight even more this time around. Iron sharpens iron, right?
Tired of hearing the "21 points in 6 minutes" argument. It wasnt 21 points. It was 2 touchdowns and a garbage time/irrelevant score.

That is not the same thing.

The last TD wasn't what lost us the game but had we stopped them from getting that run we would've gotten the ball back with a chance to win the game so the defense giving up that run definitely counts.

But all the score did was give Chief fans a hard on so they can claim the game wasn't close somehow.

Never said it lost us the game. Am simply saying that using "21 points in 6 minutes" paints a completely different picture than what would have been said if Damien Williams would have simply gone down after he picked up the first down.
I would also add had the O Line provide some decent pass protection in the final Q to allow Jimmy some time to find someone open rather then letting the rushers through and smashing Jimmy to the ground with just enough time to throw the ball away may have allowed our drives to be more effective.

Generally speaking, I agree with you. But you are assuming with better protection int he 4th, Jimmy would have made the correct reads. If you watched Baldy's Breakdowns and a few other all-22 analysis, you would see that there were many times throughout the game that Jimmy passed the ball to a short man when a longer route was breaking open....WITHOUT pressure. He was making bad reads throughout the game, so I dont know that I can definitively say that if he got better protection in the 4th, he would have been more effective.
  • Kyzen
We cut this dude yet?

• LVJay
  • Veteran
We cut this dude yet?

We should make a run at Tom Brady for next season and trade jimmy back to the Patriots.

Generally speaking, I agree with you. But you are assuming with better protection int he 4th, Jimmy would have made the correct reads. If you watched Baldy's Breakdowns and a few other all-22 analysis, you would see that there were many times throughout the game that Jimmy passed the ball to a short man when a longer route was breaking open....WITHOUT pressure. He was making bad reads throughout the game, so I dont know that I can definitively say that if he got better protection in the 4th, he would have been more effective.

His breakdown was good but some of those were breaking open because Jimmy was throwing to the other direction and may have went with what he considered a safer throw when playing with a lead....let's not forget people gave him crap for throwing a pick vs Minnesota with a lead when trying to sneak it through over their linebacker.

Hard to know exactly what he saw with the guys in his face or why he made his reads. It's up to him and Kyle to sort that out.
  • Kyzen
Originally posted by LVJay:
We cut this dude yet?

Lol
  • Kyzen
Originally posted by susweel:
We should make a run at Tom Brady for next season and trade jimmy back to the Patriots.

Lol, stir that pot Sus
Share 49erswebzone