There are 307 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by genus49:
Agreed. It's also why I think the people who come in with "you can't compare numbers from season X to last year" while having a solid point also essentially make excuses against people who are trying to look on the bright side.

Whether we like it or not Jimmy's situation is very unique and it's hard to find a QB who has had a similar situation to him.

We've seen some guys bring up Aaron Rodgers like situation because he sat for a few years behind a legend - but Aaron didn't have to go to another team, learn a new offense and play with guys he hasn't had around him for a few years.

We've seen the Matt Ryan comps due to Shanny's scheme but there is a clear discrepancy in starting experience.

Then sprinkle in Jimmy's knee injury and it's a whole different ball game which makes his case so different which is why all we can do is look at what he's shown so far and hope his growth is considerable with time and he turns into a top tier QB.

Doesn't mean he will but personally I've seen enough glimpses of elite traits to make me think he's more likely to grow into a top tier QB versus turn into a guy who is a career backup or mid level QB.

Here is what we do know.

about Jimmy:

Jimmy has shown a lot more clutch moments at the end of games than failures. As much as losing the SB hurt and it doesn't get as big of a game overall Jimmy has shown he can handle the big moments and comes through late in games more times than not.
Jimmy has shown the ability to win and produce results with inferior talent - 2017 run.
Jimmy is a hard worker without a big ego.

about the NFL/QB position

ACL injuries typically take 2 years to fully heal from unless you're a freak like Adrian Peterson.
QBs are able to see things more clearly with more game experience
Kyle's offense is one that takes time to master
QBs spending more time with receivers builds better chemistry/trust

With all that in mind logically Jimmy should improve. It doesn't mean he will but if i'm putting money on it that's where I'm putting it.

agreed.

agreed.
Originally posted by Goatie:

1. Jimmy gets it out faster then most QBs in the league.

.....by the design of Kyle's offense. You kinda left that part out in an attempt to cover for him the same way Kyle does.

Getting it out so fast has also provided room for the other deficiencies I listed....batted down/intercepted balls, and not testing the deeper, outside hashes of the field very often. Defenses absolutely love it when u consolidate the field.

And you know what? We can have a very successful season with such deficiencies....this season was proof.

But I'm not gonna stick my head in the sand like you seemingly want to do and act like there is a clear, glaring weakness in our passing offense that needs to be fixed by whatever means.

But you cant get it out if no one is open to you (they might be open to you at home on tv but not from where the QB is standing)

Then you can THROW it AWAY (a weakness for Jimmy) or scramble and buy time (a weakness for Jimmy). I'm kinda getting confused,...are you agreeing with me by mistake or on purpose?
[ Edited by random49er on Feb 21, 2020 at 1:16 PM ]
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by random49er:

But you cant get it out if no one is open to you (they might be open to you at home on tv but not from where the QB is standing)

Then you can THROW it AWAY (a weakness for Jimmy) or scramble and buy time (a weakness for Jimmy). I'm kinda getting confused,...are you agreeing with me by mistake or on purpose?

What you may perceive as a weakness Kyle Shanahan does not. He has been coaching Jimmy to fight and find a way to get the ball out. He wants a QB to take risks rather than be more conservative like Alex Smith was. The reason is because statistically you gain and win more big plays then you lose. Take for instance when Kyle calls on Jimmy to make a long throw play. More make it home then don't. Unfortunately the one in the Super Bowl to Sanders did not and was out by a couple of yards. But most others this year were not.

I am not agreeing with your exaggerated negativity or constant nit-picking. It is boring and got old a long time ago.
What you may perceive as a weakness Kyle Shanahan does not. He has been coaching Jimmy to fight and find a way to get the ball out. He wants a QB to take risks rather than be more conservative like Alex Smith was. The reason is because statistically you gain and win more big plays then you lose. Take for instance when Kyle calls on Jimmy to make a long throw play. More make it home then don't. Unfortunately the one in the Super Bowl to Sanders did not and was out by a couple of yards. But most others this year were not.

I am not agreeing with your exaggerated negativity or constant nit-picking. It is boring and got old a long time ago.

My issue is that this is not how Jimmy played in the playoffs or even the Superbowl. Jimmy was playing Alex Smith ball. And ultimately, that is one of the major reasons we lost.

Even though it sucks it happened when it did, I just sincerely hope that the SB was just a bad game for Jimmy. I cant stand Alex Smith ball. You need everything else to go perfect to win playoff games when you play that way.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
My issue is that this is not how Jimmy played in the playoffs or even the Superbowl. Jimmy was playing Alex Smith ball. And ultimately, that is one of the major reasons we lost.

Even though it sucks it happened when it did, I just sincerely hope that the SB was just a bad game for Jimmy. I cant stand Alex Smith ball. You need everything else to go perfect to win playoff games when you play that way.

You need everything else to go perfect to win any game when you play Alex Smith ball, but no matter how good the team is, things just don't go perfect against top teams. Especially in the playoffs.

what is alex smith ball? to me he was playing Kapernikus ball down the stretch sans the ability to run. he was off target the last few possessions of the 4th and i'll attribute that to the jarring helmet to helmet he absorbed
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:

You need everything else to go perfect to win any game when you play Alex Smith ball, but no matter how good the team is, things just don't go perfect against top teams. Especially in the playoffs.

That is so true.

SteveWallacesHelmet, just no. Jimmy G was not playing Alex Smith ball. He was 18 of 22 until the last 7 minutes and then KC defense stepped up big time. Unlike Alex Smith Jimmy was taking risks but they did not work out because of a number of things like our O Line was not keeping rushers out. Our replacement centre was a big part of this letting linebackers threw the A gap. Or Jones batting two passes down and getting a hand to another.

It was clever Coaching by KC to get their defense and offense to step it up the way they did in the final minutes.
Originally posted by 49erminion:

what is alex smith ball? to me he was playing Kapernikus ball down the stretch sans the ability to run. he was off target the last few possessions of the 4th and i'll attribute that to the jarring helmet to helmet he absorbed

Alex Smith ball is dumping it to a short route when a longer route is popping open. Alex Smith ball is not attacking the entire field. Alex Smith ball is allowing a box to be stacked and not making them pay for it. Alex Smith ball is not maximizing the potential of every play. Alex Smith ball is missing open targets and electing to go elsewhere with the ball.

Alex is more accurate on short passes than Jimmy is, I will give him that. Takes care of the ball better too (but comes with costs).

That is so true.

SteveWallacesHelmet, just no. Jimmy G was not playing Alex Smith ball. He was 18 of 22 until the last 7 minutes and then KC defense stepped up big time. Unlike Alex Smith Jimmy was taking risks but they did not work out because of a number of things like our O Line was not keeping rushers out. Our replacement centre was a big part of this letting linebackers threw the A gap. Or Jones batting two passes down and getting a hand to another.

It was clever Coaching by KC to get their defense and offense to step it up the way they did in the final minutes.

Can you point to the plays where Jimmy was taking a risk but it didnt work out? Very, very curious to hear that.
Can you point to the plays where Jimmy was taking a risk but it didnt work out? Very, very curious to hear that.

That deep ball for one. Alex never goes for a TD on 3rd down in that situation.

• Goatie
  • Veteran

That is so true.

The pass to Sanders that was over thrown 2 yards

The pass to Bourne that was intercepted by an excellent play by the KC safety in the final minutes.

You will note there were 2 excellent passes to Bourne in the final 10 minutes.

He was taking risks trying to get over the KC DL and Jones batted it down twice and got a hand to it at least one other time.

He was taking risks trying to hold it a bit longer till someone got open but got smashed because linebackers were getting through our oline and smashing him before he could launch one clean to the target.
[ Edited by Goatie on Feb 21, 2020 at 7:33 PM ]

I wish he played Alex ball. He would of checked down to an open Bourne instead of risking it all deep.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:

I wish he played Alex ball. He would of checked down to an open Bourne instead of risking it all deep.

Yeah sure pffffft

Yeah sure pffffft

I'm actually not blasting Jimmy there. You can't fault him for going for the win.

He's not Alex though. His 13 picks should be the 1st clue. That's not to you.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 21, 2020 at 11:28 PM ]
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Yeah sure pffffft

I'm actually not blasting Jimmy there. You can't fault him for going for the win.

He's not Alex though. His 13 picks should be your 1st clue. Not to you.

Brady, Young, Montana, Mahomes have all had close to 13 pick years. So that is not a very good point either
Share 49ersWebzone