There are 207 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Man I hope they piss pound Seattle in Seattle. Our DBs are gonna have to step it up, need to practice defending those scramble plays.

Week 17 is when we go to Seattle. Hopefully it's a meaningless game and we rest our starters before the playoffs.

Ah word, I should have known that! My brother got me tickets to the AZ game but accidentally bought Seattle tickets for MNF lol. Needless to say he didn't have a problem selling those tickets
Originally posted by thl408:
And he has passed the test so far in critical game moments.

- https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/09/11/jimmy-garoppolo-helps-patriots-beat-cardinals-23-21/90250884/
Garoppolo, in his first NFL start, directed the Patriots from their own 19 to the Arizona 15 to set up Stephen Gostkowski's 23-yard field goal for what proved to be the winner with 3:44 to play.
- In his first start as a 49er (vs CHI), directs the final drive of the game to a game winning FG.
- Two weeks later vs TEN, directs the final drive of the game to a game winning FG.
- Versus PIT this season. Led comeback TD drive late in 4Q.

So he's 4 for 4 in close, late 4Q situations where the team has a deficit and needs a clutch drive.

I'm bumping my own post here that I made last night. There may be some that question if JG has the ability to buckle down and lead the team on a late 4Q drive. He's currently 4 for 4 in these types of situations. 15 career starts.

But because he doesn't throw up madden numbers every week he won't get the benefit of being a quality QB.

Most of the time when a QB is throwing up a buttload of stats it's either because their D sucks or they can't run the ball.
And he has passed the test so far in critical game moments.

- https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/09/11/jimmy-garoppolo-helps-patriots-beat-cardinals-23-21/90250884/
Garoppolo, in his first NFL start, directed the Patriots from their own 19 to the Arizona 15 to set up Stephen Gostkowski's 23-yard field goal for what proved to be the winner with 3:44 to play.
- In his first start as a 49er (vs CHI), directs the final drive of the game to a game winning FG.
- Two weeks later vs TEN, directs the final drive of the game to a game winning FG.
- Versus PIT this season. Led comeback TD drive late in 4Q.

So he's 4 for 4 in close, late 4Q situations where the team has a deficit and needs a clutch drive.

I'm bumping my own post here that I made last night. There may be some that question if JG has the ability to buckle down and lead the team on a late 4Q drive. He's currently 4 for 4 in these types of situations. 15 career starts.

It's stupid. It's the fantasy football crowd. Jimmy isn't putting up FF numbers so therefore it means he's below average. Jimmy is playing within the confines. Why go for some deep low % pass when your team is up and your trying to run down the clock, when you can hit a short high % route that'll move the chains?

Just like the Pitt game showed, Jimmy will put the team on his shoulders when needed. Jimmy is literally playing the blueprint to beat all these high octane offenses. Slow the game down and keep the ball out of the opposing QBs hands.
Originally posted by Boldjames:
The only receiving targets Jimmy has confidence in is Kittle and Goodwin right now

Pretty much. But the connection with Pettis is also improving. And the backs are catching too.
Jimmy playing with no name bookend tackles lol

But yeah, he needs to better
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ronniefreakinlott42:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Joecool:
It is easy to use stats like Y/A but this is a situation where watching the game gives you better context. His Y/A is 8.0 but that doesn't mean his air yards are 8.0. ESPN Next Gen stats, Jimmy is 4th from last in average air yards at 6.4 per attempt. This tells you that our receivers/targets are getting a lot of RAC.

From what I have seen, Jimmy has not been all that great going through his progressions. He doesn't appear to "see it" yet. He tends to stand too long in the pocket. He is solid on timing plays.

For us to really make some noise in the playoffs, Jimmy will need to figure it out before then. Right now, he's just a game manager that quickly gets the ball to the talent and lets them work. He has had his nice throws but he hasn't necessarily cut a defense like a surgeon yet.

Thank you. That is exactly the way I see it.

Disagree. Teams that make noise in the playoffs are teams with a strong run game and stingy defense. That is why we've made noise in the playoffs under Harbaugh. What we needed was a quarterback capable of making a comeback when needed. In my opinion, that is all that is yet to be seen from Jimmy.
IF we make playoffs.. why in the world do people think we suddenly have to changed something. where is the rule we have to. who wrote it? what does it say? no.. if you get to the playoffs with good defense. a sound run game and a more than decent passing attack why would you go away from your identity.,,, i feel there are alot of people refusing to admit.. overall. this is the same type of formula we are winning with now. that we did under jh. run first. play great defense. we could do better on special teams with our kicking... and yes we do have a better qb so we know he can make plays and lead us from behind if we need to. but this idea. that we can ride the way we do things now to the playoffs. but oops. come play off time. we need to change things.. is silly and stupid in my opinion

Nice work, thl.
[ Edited by WestCoastForever on Oct 14, 2019 at 9:53 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
when you decide to fling the ball around... you most likely will have a bunch of 30 second drives which will wear down our foe. the key is always to limit how many times the other team gets the ball
Gotta give him his props even tho he's basically a game manager. Dude is winning even tho he's playing mediocre.
Did I really just read someone said he's the weakest link? For reals?

His numbers don't pop out, sometimes he throws head scratching throws or INTs. He might be managing the game now, but that's all he's had to do for now.

He's had his 4th quarter scoring drives for the win, he has accuracy, one of the quickest releases, he can fit it into tight windows, he can ACTUALLY read a defense, he's guilty of staring receivers sometimes but on many occasions he can look off defenders. Hitting him or pressuring him doesn't faze him. He can use some work on the easy throws he misses from time to time though. Can he improve yes, as the season goes he's getting more live bullet experience.

QBs whose had great teams around them and made it to the SB, dilfer, grossman etc, Jimmy G is miles better than them and he has leadership traits.

Originally posted by susweel:
Gotta give him his props even tho he's basically a game manager. Dude is winning even tho he's playing mediocre.

Lol what a backhanded compliment.
How many drops yesterday? 1 by Coleman, 1 by Goodwin.

QBs occasionally have errant throws. He is not making mistakes that cost us the game and he is doing quite a bit, even with pressure in his face.

The defense is playing so well, that we haven't even really had to call his number yet. Yes, he has a head scratcher or two every game, but so does every other QB in the league.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Team49ers:
Did I really just read someone said he's the weakest link? For reals?

His numbers don't pop out, sometimes he throws head scratching throws or INTs. He might be managing the game now, but that's all he's had to do for now.
It's hard to criticize him at all to be honest. Two starting tackles out. Doesn't really have time to drop back and throw darts. I think when we did do a regular drop back, he ended up fumbling because the protection wasn't there.....

When you've got 3rd string linemen at tackles, we're gonna start going to the run game a lot more often.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
he'll continue to struggle because we don't have that TRUE #1 WR... defenses are able to key in on Kittle, and if it's not for our great running game, Jimmy will have a hard time carrying us.

WE NEED THAT #1 !!!!
Share 49erswebzone