There are 348 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Niners816:
But it's almost like talent on roster and having a franchise QB matters......

I still think my absolute favorite thing of the last 2-3 years was the driven narrative that Hoyer was his "hand-picked QB". Damn all that said it was nothing more then having a dude in the room that knows the offense.

i am just stunned. in a good way. the way the o line has played in regards to pass protection this year. esp when joe went down and then mike. i really thought jimmy was in trouble. now maybe he will still be down the road but for now. its stunning to me. i am sure there were fans who predicted it. knew it all the time. had no worries about it and good for them. its stunning to me

The eye in the sky doesn't lie......Kyle is not running a different offense then he was in that first year. He calls the same stuff he's always called. The different is when Hoyer was in he was not capable of consistently hitting wide open guys. When Beathard was in he wasn't able to process the field quickly enough to get it to the open guy and did not have a quick enough release to negate pressure. With Jimmy all of this has changed.....Seriously the offense is performing at an elite level under Jimmy (11-2, 28 ppg, 398 ypg). That doesn't mean Jimmy is perfect by any stretch. He is however the best QB we've had in almost 20 years.

Jimmy will eventually cost us a game.....but you know what? Every QB in the history of the league has at one time or another been the reason why a team loses.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Oct 15, 2019 at 10:43 AM ]
So just for clarity moving forward, as long as we are winning, we cant discuss things Jimmy needs to work on?
  • pd24
  • Veteran

I still think my absolute favorite thing of the last 2-3 years was the driven narrative that Hoyer was his "hand-picked QB". Damn all that said it was nothing more then having a dude in the room that knows the offense.

i am just stunned. in a good way. the way the o line has played in regards to pass protection this year. esp when joe went down and then mike. i really thought jimmy was in trouble. now maybe he will still be down the road but for now. its stunning to me. i am sure there were fans who predicted it. knew it all the time. had no worries about it and good for them. its stunning to me

It looks like we should have Joe, Mike, Juice, and Witherspoon by the Seattle game. And Trent Taylor a week after that
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
The eye in the sky doesn't lie......Kyle is not running a different offense then he was in that first year. He calls the same stuff he's always called. The different is when Hoyer was in he was not capable of consistently hitting wide open guys. When Beathard was in he wasn't able to process the field quickly enough to get it to the open guy and did not have a quick enough release to negate pressure. With Jimmy all of this has changed.....Seriously the offense is performing at an elite level under Jimmy (11-2, 28 ppg, 398 ypg). That doesn't mean Jimmy is perfect by any stretch. He is however the best QB we've had in almost 20 years.

Jimmy will eventually cost us a game.....but you know what? Every QB in the history of the league has at one time or another been the reason why a team loses.

jimmy is the perfect qb for us and few will argue with you about him being the best in the last 20 years. i will always have a soft spot for alex but putting that aside. few will argue. i am glad kyle did a facelift on the wide outs by bringing in three new guys. i get one is hurt. one was cut and was brought back so we are about the same there as last year. we all hope taylor will come back good and we all hope hurd will see some time this year, but to me. those guys need to get better at catching the dang ball
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pd24:

It looks like we should have Joe, Mike, Juice, and Witherspoon by the Seattle game. And Trent Taylor a week after that

and whatever we get from hurd will be gravy though i suspect he may not play this year. deebo will get better and i have no worries with him.
  • pd24
  • Veteran

and whatever we get from hurd will be gravy though i suspect he may not play this year. deebo will get better and i have no worries with him.

Kind of sucks that hurd got hurt, I think he could have filled in for Juice some with his versatility and blocking skills.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by okdkid:
i stand by much of what i said in that first year. i think he made many mistakes, i think he was learning as he went. i never said i was one to be patient. i liked none of the free agents he signed and i was right with smith and hoyer. i jumped the gun bad on juice. i think he got better and the team got better and we actually had direction once he got jimmy. lynch got nothing but praise from me with jimmy and i was one of the few who loved the sherman signing from day one.. this... oh we can not sign sherman cuz he ate turkey was stupid. he was right about crabtree

I always love the "yOu WeRe ToO cRiTiCaL!" takes. As if this team wasn't complete ass for the last two years... literally the 2nd worst in the league last year.

Any criticism they received over the past two years was fully earned. Just like any praise they get this year is earned.

Was it though? Not saying anyone likes seeing losing football. I couldn't go near any 49ers stuff for almost a month after Jimmy went down last year because of how painful it was going to be watching the team lose every week.

The team lost a lot of games, there's no denying it. To say they earned those losses and criticism is where I and so many others have a problem. It's acting like they were giving an equal shot as any other team, HC, or GM in the league to put together a winning team.

It ignores the awful drafting and development that came before them. It believes that players acquired should immediately be good. Fred Warner is looking lightyears ahead of where he was last year. Why? Because he's no longer a rookie. The passing game looks much more efficient and capable this year. Why? Because Jimmy didn't just have surgery to repair a torn ACL. The running game looks much stronger this year. Why? Because Richburg isn't running on one wheel and the O-line and RB's have all spent a lot of time in the system. The pass rush was greatly improved. Why? Because we finally had some good options available that didn't mortgage the entire future.

Think about that. People all over here wanted Khalil Mack so badly last year. What the Bears gave up to get Mack, we would've given up Bosa. While it's still very good, instead of Ford, AA, Buck and Bosa we'd have AA, Buck and Mack. I'd take the former.

Yes. The team was awful with a few glimmers of hope... which are areas that are now prospering. Sure, it's a process. And any FO will win on some transactions, miss out and/or lose on others.

In regard to your Mack example... few people here would be complaining about taking on Mack (at the time or now) if Mack was playing at the level he has with the Bears. Even if that meant missing on Bosa. Fans inherently want to support their teams. So their criticism would be "well, they had to do what they had to do at the time to get an All-Pro talent."

For starters, yes, we would have been better with Mack last year. But still would have wound up with a top 10 pick...potentially drafting a Josh Allen or similar caliber top 10 defensive player... and not cashing in a 2nd rounder for Ford. (that's not a criticism of any move, just furthering the hypothetical)

Also, this is the internet. Early, unrelenting criticism is the way of the world in lieu of utter domination.
[ Edited by okdkid on Oct 15, 2019 at 10:51 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
So just for clarity moving forward, as long as we are winning, we cant discuss things Jimmy needs to work on
correct. and if you were critical of the the coach before,. you have no cred. what ever that means . i will begin .. jimmy needs to be better with ball security . yes i know every nfl qb has this issue but this is a niner web zone. this is a jimmy thread so i thought it appropriate to bring it up
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Kind of sucks that hurd got hurt, I think he could have filled in for Juice some with his versatility and blocking skills.
i know i can second guess with the best of them and that is human nature but i really had no issue with wide outs at 2 and 3. i wanted lazard two years ago and wanted butler from state last year but am more than happy with deebo and hurd
So just for clarity moving forward, as long as we are winning, we cant discuss things Jimmy needs to work on?

Nobody is perfect, but how can we look at this WR core and this line and definitively look at Jimmy G and say this that or the other thing is his fault.

We have enough starts to look at Jimmy G and say he has the total package of throws, and right now we KNOW we are on our 3rd and 4th string tackles.... that obviously is going to effect the total offense including Jimmy G.

I think we would be hard pressed to be too critical of his short comings right now. Certainly there is room to grow...but the worst of Jimmy G is not alone on his shoulders.

KAPERNICK!

Bomb thrown.....
JImmy G's NFL career starts (2016-19)

13-2 record
317 Completions
472 Attempts
67.1%
3937 yards
23 Tds
13 Ints
97.6 Rate
418 points for
5993 yards for
27.9 points per game
399.5 yards per game
[ Edited by Niners816 on Oct 15, 2019 at 12:47 PM ]
Been a fan of Jimmy G since we saw him play down the stretch at the end of 2017. He may have been winging it at the time, but that was the real Jimmy G.

Last season was Jimmy G's first full year with the chance to learn the system and he was thinking too much.

His season ending injury robbed him of that chance to develop. It hurt him and us, but also helped us get Bosa.

This season is Jimmy G making up for missing the bulk of last season. I don't think 2017 was a fluke.

As we've seen, he has and will continue to have struggles, but he (and the 49ers) will be better for those struggles.

I think he will be playing his best ball down the stretch.

If he and the other crucial pieces are available and healthy come playoff time, no one will want to play the 49ers.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by Furlow:
RIP cc
10-14-2019

sorry to ruin your day but i am going no where. sure i was critical of kyle and lynch. still can be which is more than fine for a fan to do. have also recanted on things i felt i was wrong about.. and this all got started because i dared to say. i hope jimmy does better with ball security moving forward.

Only day that was ruined was yours, jonnydel destroyed you. Lol

everything jonnydel said was 100% justified and validated. cc lost a ton of credibility due to his absurd overreactions and pessimism shanny's first year.

Agreed. He's in the sus category now. And backpedaling like a madman today lol.
Originally posted by Dshearn:

Nobody is perfect, but how can we look at this WR core and this line and definitively look at Jimmy G and say this that or the other thing is his fault.

We have enough starts to look at Jimmy G and say he has the total package of throws, and right now we KNOW we are on our 3rd and 4th string tackles.... that obviously is going to effect the total offense including Jimmy G.

I think we would be hard pressed to be too critical of his short comings right now. Certainly there is room to grow...but the worst of Jimmy G is not alone on his shoulders.

I, nor anyone else in this thread recently, has been "too critical" of Jimmy. But there are definitely things that he needs to work on in spite of our record. And the fact that anyone who mentions any of said things he needs to work on is being attacked is ridiculous IMO. I think Jimmy has gotten in a habit of staring down some of his WRs, which in turn leads to INTs or dropped INTs. This is a concern. And IMO, INTs are fine (in a limited capacity) as long as it is done in an attacking/gunslinging type way. The way Jimmy has stared down WRs which allowed DBs to jump the pass, is a concern.
Share 49ersWebzone