• Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
jimmy g is back baby

Pics or link??
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
I still think itll be very disappointing to not open Levi's for week 3 2-0 and I dont care were playing early and on the east coast. The talent alone should handle TB and especially cinci, I'll be so pissed if we pull off the same s**t we did last season week 1 with the bs turnovers especially to a crap TB d

Agreed, should be able to handle TB & Cinci

TB's head coach & DC are outstanding. It's gonna be a tough game to win.

If history of the 49ers means anything, let's talk about it:

Under Harbaugh, the 49ers only opened the season 2-0 once (2012, Pack on the road and a good Lions team at home). 2011, 2013, 2014 all were season opener wins followed by a loss, and of course 2015 and 2016 we managed to win season openers prior to disaster seasons. We haven't won a season opener under Kyle yet, and prior to him the last time we lost a season opener was 2010 in Seattle with Sing. Hopefully all of that changes this year.

I concur with most that location of the game and even to an extent opponent should not matter all that much here. Unless the Bucs have really turned it around, I'm not so sure they should be favored to win against the 49ers.

I would like to share a nice trend I'd like to see repeated:

2010 Bucs shut out 49ers at candlestick
2011 49ers blow out Bucs at candlestick (biggest blowout of this decade for SF?)

2018 Bucs defeat 49ers convincingly in tampa
2019 49ers ______ Bucs in tampa

I don't need the blowout this year, but I'd like a nice solid win. Even on the road you have to imagine the unscouted Kyle Shanahan offense giving average teams problems in the first weeks that will offset whatever rust our offense always seems to have early on.

Later in the year, I expect the 49ers to play more cohesively as a team. If you believe in this team like I do, then you'll probably feel lots of confidence in December against a top team over playing anyone in our first month or so. By that logic, Steelers and Browns at home will probably be some of our tougher games this year.

Traveling across the coast for the other teams home opener is never an easy game...but if we go in healthy I think we can definitely win that game.

edit: looking at their roster it will be interesting to see Tampa in preseason. Their offense can definitely score points with Evans, Godwin and OJ Howard in Arians' offense but I think if we're healthy our offense can keep up with them. Their secondary is ok, Suh and Vea are tough in the middle but their outside rushers are unproven with JPP being out(i'm assuming he will be)

Devin White is talented but aggressive, I think we can get him to make some rookie mistakes and have some big plays.

And on defense i think our DL can definitely disrupt their passing game and nullify their weapons and make up for our questionable secondary.
[ Edited by genus49 on Jul 27, 2019 at 9:13 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Great to hear that Jimmy is a full go for TC. He seems to be coming back nicely from that ACL tear.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Great to hear that Jimmy is a full go for TC. He seems to be coming back nicely from that ACL tear.

We really won't know much until he's in a real game with the other team trying to put him down but I'm confident he'll be good to go.
The team record this a year hinges on JG's health more than any other single player. He is truly the key to it all.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
was just going over some of his highlights, and I really can't help it, but this The Gift really reminds me of Troy Aikman... he just throws them nice balls !!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
was just going over some of his highlights, and I really can't help it, but this The Gift really reminds me of Troy Aikman... he just throws them nice balls !!

hope he can play till he's 45 like his bro TB12.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Yessir
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Looks 100%

Nice to see
A hall of famer in the making, our GQ will be first team all pro this season.
  • thl408
Originally posted by NCommand:

Looks 100%

Eh, let's see him scramble and fight for a meaningless extra yard before labeling him 100%.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GarnerValleyFan:
A hall of famer in the making, our GQ will be first team all pro this season.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
Eh, let's see him scramble and fight for a meaningless extra yard before labeling him 100%.

I hope Bosa and company make that a rare possibility. As in we have the lead and all Jimmy has to do is run the 4 minute offense and bleed the clock dry. He wouldn't be scrambling for a first down if we had the lead in the 4fth quarter.
Share 49ersWebzone