There are 307 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by genus49:
How about we see how he plays inside first? Drafting him and playing him out of position was not a very smart idea. You're trying to throw dirt on that pick so you can keep riding the he's an awful pick train.

He's entering his 3rd year. He still has a chance to revive his career.

Hoyer was a bridge gap. There was no talent evaluation going on. Hoyer was instantly signed by Belichick and the Pats for the same reason we signed him in the first place - veteran presence and knowledge of the offense.

CJ as mentioned was supposed to be a developmental pick. Rushing someone's development isn't ideal and can break some QBs.

You have no idea how Mahomes would've played here so let's not go there. It's all speculation without any proof one way or another.

Would Mahomes have been better than CJ? Of course but you'd have to draft Mahomes with #2 overall. Clearly our front office felt that was too big of a risk. You bomb on a franchise QB at #2 overall and your rebuild is short and sweet and some other HC is trying to cover up from it.

If we're doing this whole mulligan make believe thing with that draft, Mahomes would have went #1 overall and we would have taken Myles.

Kyle was also all about getting a vet QB (Kirk) heading into that draft...they got Jimmy G thrown into their laps and here we are.

Those two 1st rd picks aren't looking good at this pt, I don't think you can debate that. I'm glad ST will be forced to play his natural role and 99% of SF fans thought AA was bust city when they were taking ST.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Elite?
I am not sure he will hang on as a backup in the NFL. Fair point about CJ taking extra hits.

49ers should have drafted a qb on the first instead of ST.

Easy to say in hindsight. I'm sure you knew Mahomes and Watson were burgeoning studs.

I'd rather hav Jimmy all day over Watson though. He's lucky he hasn't been hurt worse so far in his career. It won't be a long one.

Majority of backups look like crap their first couple years. But that's what you expect from a qb at 104. He was always a project. Just like the majority of players are outside the top 75.

I knew the team needed a qb and I liked both of them. I also knew Thomas was a redundant, poor fit.
CJ has no place on this team.

Guess it's a shame you weren't the GM

Thomas still has time to show his worth. If Kyle felt those QBs were not worth the investment that's his call and since he's the guy running the show especially on offense his opinion trumps all.

Mahomes is a stud but that offense is about as good a position for a guy like him as you can get. When you remember what Alex Smith looked like in that offense the year prior Mahomes numbers are still impressive but not that surprising.

What does his career look like if he comes here and is thrown into the fire with the "talent" we had in 2017? Similar question to the what if we took Aaron Rodgers at #1 over Alex Smith.

Odds are in both cases neither Rodgers or Mahomes are as good as they are with their respective teams on the 49ers.

I don't believe Kyle drafted CJ to be a starter. He was drafted to be developed but got rushed out there and clearly wasn't ready. The plan at the time was to go after Cousins. We can look back now and say it wasn't a smart plan but it was a lot riskier than using a top 2 pick on a QB from a spread offense and hoping he can pick up Kyle's complex scheme and play at a high level early on.

Drafting Thomas was a terrible decision no matter how you slice it.

Cousins is so mediocre. He would have been a disaster.

Hoyer, CJ, Cousins...these guys do not inspire confidence in Kyle's eye for talent.

Mahomes would have been great here even if he had a less than all time historic great season like he had under Reid.

How about we see how he plays inside first? Drafting him and playing him out of position was not a very smart idea. You're trying to throw dirt on that pick so you can keep riding the he's an awful pick train.

He's entering his 3rd year. He still has a chance to revive his career.

Hoyer was a bridge gap. There was no talent evaluation going on. Hoyer was instantly signed by Belichick and the Pats for the same reason we signed him in the first place - veteran presence and knowledge of the offense.

CJ as mentioned was supposed to be a developmental pick. Rushing someone's development isn't ideal and can break some QBs.

You have no idea how Mahomes would've played here so let's not go there. It's all speculation without any proof one way or another.

Would Mahomes have been better than CJ? Of course but you'd have to draft Mahomes with #2 overall. Clearly our front office felt that was too big of a risk. You bomb on a franchise QB at #2 overall and your rebuild is short and sweet and some other HC is trying to cover up from it.

They drafted him to play end.
The team didn't need a 3t.
He was a terrible pick.

Mahomes is not a mystery. He is an elite talent at qb who threw 50 tds and 5000 yards in his first full season.

The front office was wrong. In fact, they failed miserably with their first 4 draft picks.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Are you being obtuse overlooking people bringing up the fact that QB play makes a big impact on pass protection? The way WRs and TEs can separate also plays a factor.

Harder to block the longer you have to wait for guys to get open or if the QB doesn't get the ball out as quick or isn't as comfortable making his reads.

Hell look at the Rams. #6 ranked OL pass blocking all year. Patriots started mixing things up where Goff had to make his reads after McVay couldn't talk in his ear.

The results?

13 hurries, 8 hits, 4 sacks in 1 game. Do I need to give you the numbers that projects to over a 16 game season?

If Jimmy can get to a level of a Tom Brady of those top tier QBs in terms of his ability to see the field where he doesn't need Shanahan in his ear reading the D for him that goes a long way to helping the OL.

I don't think anyone here is thrilled with the state of the OL but you have to start somewhere.
to me, that is why kyle over hauled the wide outs and back up tight end thing because last year we had guys who were unable or unwilling to get separation.. i also note that jimmy got sacked.. i think about 13 times in three games so no offense to his quick release and nick is not as good as jimmy.... cj is not worth mentioning.... the o line in itself. by itself was not good in pass protection.WHATEVER the reason.,., some say injuries.. i say its because we had/have garbage guards. its the biggest question mark... also you are making a pretty big leap of faith to hope jimmy becomes tom brady but i appreciate the optimism

Wasn't saying Jimmy becomes Brady...but being able to read the field similar to him isn't a stretch. Hopefully he got a lot of mental work last year while rehabbing to help with that part of the process of course as he himself admitted it's different when the bullets start flying.

But don't forget the circumstances for why Jimmy was getting hit so much in those 3 games.

When you start on the road vs one of the best DLs in the game and you lose your starting RG and then your backup RG and your rookie OT playing in his first game has to move inside to RG to help out after never playing it before...you're asking for trouble.
He was a terrible pick.

Mahomes is not a mystery. He is an elite talent at qb who threw 50 tds and 5000 yards in his first full season.

The front office was wrong. In fact, they failed miserably with their first 4 draft picks.

Elite talent at QB who didn't go in the top 5? He's got an elite arm but there were obviously questions about him. He wasn't even the first QB drafted that year.

He put up huge numbers after sitting behind Alex Smith pretty much his whole rookie season. He's got a stacked offense which made Alex Smith look like an MVP candidate the year prior with less talent at WR.

Yes it's a stretch to assume if Mahomes plays here in 2017 behind our OL with our skill players that he's anywhere close to what he looked like this year for KC.

As for Thomas they said they drafted him to play the Michael Bennett role, which is to play outside in base them move inside on pass downs. That sure as chit wasn't happening.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Wasn't saying Jimmy becomes Brady...but being able to read the field similar to him isn't a stretch. Hopefully he got a lot of mental work last year while rehabbing to help with that part of the process of course as he himself admitted it's different when the bullets start flying.

But don't forget the circumstances for why Jimmy was getting hit so much in those 3 games.

When you start on the road vs one of the best DLs in the game and you lose your starting RG and then your backup RG and your rookie OT playing in his first game has to move inside to RG to help out after never playing it before...you're asking for trouble.
well, i want to see jimmy in pre season and yes.... not tragic ones.. but i want to see him take a couple hits to see how he responds. the first game. road game. odd time zone and the fact under kyle we struggle bad on the road. if our team is as good as some say... there is no reason we should lose... now i am sure if we do. there will be.. well it takes time for jimmy,. it takes time for the chemistry.. but to me . those are just red herrings. of course i will credit if the line play comes out firing.. and i expect people to bow down to cc if ross reynolds indeed makes the team and becomes a starter by game 6
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

i like the reports from early stuff that he and mathews clicked nicely.. really want to see how he clicks in pre season with him and our two rookies. i think it would do jimmy a world of good if he had some new bodies out there who can get open. make tough catches and score in the red zone. a second tight end better than celek would be nice to and i think we have that in our collection of new guys. after hearing from every coach since jh that we will use screen passes to the backs. i hope we do that this year to
[ Edited by cciowa on Jul 3, 2019 at 8:51 AM ]
He was a terrible pick.

You keep on saying the team didn't need a 3-tech, yet they play outside of base like 70+% of the time. You gotta stop with that. Base means a load of nothing in today's game. He played DE because we had zero on the outside and he's very good at edge defending. He's a gap penetrating 3-tech, which can be used quit a bit in this system next to Buck. Thank the lord we got rid of our old DL coach who imo proved nothing in the NFL as a coach.

Mahomes was talented and his arm is special...if you go look at him at Texas tech you will see plenty of wow moments and also plenty of WTF moments. He got a full yr to learn the offense and even he said he was incredibly green and had no clue what was going on his rookie yr. I wonder how fans would have been if they spent a 2nd overall pick to sit for a full yr behind Hoyer lol? I can think of a few WZ fans throwing the bust label on him...Who knows if he would have had the same success here. KC had a playoff roster, SF certainly was not.

All what ifs. He should have went #1 if we're doing it all over
He was a terrible pick.

Elite talent at QB who didn't go in the top 5? He's got an elite arm but there were obviously questions about him. He wasn't even the first QB drafted that year.

He put up huge numbers after sitting behind Alex Smith pretty much his whole rookie season. He's got a stacked offense which made Alex Smith look like an MVP candidate the year prior with less talent at WR.

Yes it's a stretch to assume if Mahomes plays here in 2017 behind our OL with our skill players that he's anywhere close to what he looked like this year for KC.

As for Thomas they said they drafted him to play the Michael Bennett role, which is to play outside in base them move inside on pass downs. That sure as chit wasn't happening.

Yes, he had an elite season by any measure. Lets compare Alex's "Near MVP" season to Mahome's MVP season...
Smith: 4082 yards, 26 TD
Mahomes: 5097 yards, 50 TD
That is a drastic difference.

So 4000 yards and 40 TDs with the 49ers, or maybe only 35 TDs?
I'd take that.

Thomas was a bad pick.
Originally posted by cciowa:

well, i want to see jimmy in pre season and yes.... not tragic ones.. but i want to see him take a couple hits to see how he responds. the first game. road game. odd time zone and the fact under kyle we struggle bad on the road. if our team is as good as some say... there is no reason we should lose... now i am sure if we do. there will be.. well it takes time for jimmy,. it takes time for the chemistry.. but to me . those are just red herrings. of course i will credit if the line play comes out firing.. and i expect people to bow down to cc if ross reynolds indeed makes the team and becomes a starter by game 6

I like Ross Reynolds a lot. So if he takes the starting job I'm all for it...assuming he earns it and it's not given to him due to injuries.
He was a terrible pick.

Yes, he had an elite season by any measure. Lets compare Alex's "Near MVP" season to Mahome's MVP season...

I'd take that.

Thomas was a bad pick.

Are you high?

You're comparing him to Alex Smith...those numbers were career numbers for him. But we got a glimpse of Mahomes that year in the same offense. He started week 17 and posted a 284 yard game 0 TDs 1 INT but somehow you want to look at last year and assume he's putting up those numbers with the roster we had?

Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, Sammy Watkins and all the other speed players they have on that roster are tailor made for Mahomes and his big arm. Their OL was terrific.

You're in here complaining about our OL but think that with our OL, our weapons Mahomes is putting up 4000 yards and 35+ TDs?

He was a terrible pick.

I'd take that.

Thomas was a bad pick.

Any halfway decent QB will throw up good numbers with those weapons KC has (Hill, Kelce, etc). While I do agree Thomas was a bad pick, to say Mahomes would be that good with us is just outright dumb and naive.
He was a terrible pick.

I'd take that.

Thomas was a bad pick.

Are you high?

You're comparing him to Alex Smith...those numbers were career numbers for him. But we got a glimpse of Mahomes that year in the same offense. He started week 17 and posted a 284 yard game 0 TDs 1 INT but somehow you want to look at last year and assume he's putting up those numbers with the roster we had?

Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce, Sammy Watkins and all the other speed players they have on that roster are tailor made for Mahomes and his big arm. Their OL was terrific.

You're in here complaining about our OL but think that with our OL, our weapons Mahomes is putting up 4000 yards and 35+ TDs?

Take breath here, does anyone really think Mahomes would have been as good playing behind, our offesenive line his rookie year, playing with weapons we had, with a crappy defense that would put him in holes early?

I think he would have flashed some skills, but taken a beating, that kind of start can cripple a QBs career.

Imagine if Smith sat behind Farve and learned, then stepped into a team with a quality defense, a quality offensive line, weapons, and a decent coaching?

Yes, Shanny is a QB whisperer, and would have maximized Mahomes, but still where our roster is at and where the Chiefs were at two years ago, night and day.

Yes, Mahomes has amazing talent, but it takes more than that to over come a crappy team, and we were a crappy team.

Would I like to have him, sure, but lets see what he does this season before we crown his ass.

Tomas was a solid pick at the time, he hasn't become the game changing flashy player most fans can appreciate, but he has been solid, and done everything the coaching staff asks of him. His soy is not over, its still being written, and I think with better coaching, some of the new added wrinkles on D, and maturity, I expect to see even more from him.

As for Jimmy G, lets see if he can put his past injury history behind him....along with pretty much everyone on this team not named Joe Staley.
He was a terrible pick.

I'd take that.

Thomas was a bad pick.

Are you high?

I didn't assume he would have an all time historic season here like he had in KC.
I will assume he would be an elite talent putting up better numbers than anyone we have.

He would have been the best option for the 49ers at qb without a doubt.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
He was a terrible pick.

I'd take that.

Thomas was a bad pick.

Are you high?

Take breath here, does anyone really think Mahomes would have been as good playing behind, our offesenive line his rookie year, playing with weapons we had, with a crappy defense that would put him in holes early?

I think he would have flashed some skills, but taken a beating, that kind of start can cripple a QBs career.

Imagine if Smith sat behind Farve and learned, then stepped into a team with a quality defense, a quality offensive line, weapons, and a decent coaching?

Yes, Shanny is a QB whisperer, and would have maximized Mahomes, but still where our roster is at and where the Chiefs were at two years ago, night and day.

Yes, Mahomes has amazing talent, but it takes more than that to over come a crappy team, and we were a crappy team.

Would I like to have him, sure, but lets see what he does this season before we crown his ass.

Tomas was a solid pick at the time, he hasn't become the game changing flashy player most fans can appreciate, but he has been solid, and done everything the coaching staff asks of him. His soy is not over, its still being written, and I think with better coaching, some of the new added wrinkles on D, and maturity, I expect to see even more from him.

As for Jimmy G, lets see if he can put his past injury history behind him....along with pretty much everyone on this team not named Joe Staley.

Thomas was a terrible pick at the time, a poor fit and redundant.
Originally posted by swoosh6996:
He was a terrible pick.

I'd take that.

Thomas was a bad pick.

Any halfway decent QB will throw up good numbers with those weapons KC has (Hill, Kelce, etc). While I do agree Thomas was a bad pick, to say Mahomes would be that good with us is just outright dumb and naive.

Literally nobody is saying that.
Share 49ersWebzone