There are 211 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Cousins is just not a winner. He has a career losing record. His few winning seasons have been by the smallest margins possible. He was supposed to be an upgrade over Keenum. Cousins had ZERO game-winning drives in 2018. Keenum had 4 in 2017. Their TD-INT ratio and QB ratings were basically the same, but Keenum won 11 games. They overpaid for a guy who wasn't worth it. And I hope and pray Jimmy plays so lights out that we never have to hear about this Cousins nonsense ever again.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jun 18, 2019 at 7:33 AM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Cousins is just not a winner. He has a career losing record. His few winning seasons have been by the smallest margins possible. He was supposed to be an upgrade over Keenum. Cousins had ZERO game-winning drives in 2018. Keenum had 4 in 2017. Their TD-INT ratio and QB ratings were basically the same, but Keenum won 11 games. They overpaid for a guy who wasn't worth it. And I hope and pray Jimmy plays so lights out that we never have to hear about this Cousins nonsense ever again.

+1
NBA and NHL finals are over. MLB is in it's mid season doldrums. So writers come up with this horsebleep to fill their time. Enjoy the summer and look forward to September.

While I agree Kirk seems to lack that "clutch" gene....he also had two offensive coordinators last yr and Keenum had Shumur (who's scheme is taylor made for his skill set). Kirk didn't have Shumur calling plays.

I feel like shumur had Keenum outside the pocket a lot, which helped that dumpster fire of an OL. You could see Keenum in Denver last yr with Musgrave
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by TD49ers:
The article by Florio is a total reach and baseless at this point ( must be bored). Jimmy has not even played a down and we are already looking for a new QB? Why would we want Cousins? He can't win the big game on a team that went to to the NFC championship in 2018. His goes 9-7 and does not make the playoffs; he is not an elite QB that I would subject a radical change after 1 year of Jimmy G regardless of how he plays.

Who knows what Jimmy G brings in 2019 but to suggest at this stage that Cousins is an option makes no sense. If we are talking an elite Qb like Rodgers or Luck maybe......not Cousins.....stupid.

Well FWIW he does state that if Jimmy G isn't the Jimmy G they envisioned that they could look to move on from him. The article doesn't say that they are looking to move on from him. You gotta admit there might be some possibility that this does in fact happen, after all the 49ers could move on from Jimmy G with a very minor cap penalty. And two, I think it would be the QB that goes before Shanahan looks to lose his job.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Well FWIW he does state that if Jimmy G isn't the Jimmy G they envisioned that they could look to move on from him. The article doesn't say that they are looking to move on from him. You gotta admit there might be some possibility that this does in fact happen, after all the 49ers could move on from Jimmy G with a very minor cap penalty. And two, I think it would be the QB that goes before Shanahan looks to lose his job.

Not what they envisoned? Come on. They made a decision not to go after Kirk Cousins. They could have gotten him in the 2018 FA class and not given up a 2nd rounder.

This so called scenario also assumes that Kirk Cousins has another poor season to which Minnesota decides to let him go; so why would you want him??? That would be two straight seasons on a quality team that has underachieved with the only real change being at QB from the 2018 NFC Championship.......and If he plays well he will not be available. I really don't see the Viking giving up on him that quickly. They made a big gamble in letting Keenum walk after his fantastic season. There would need to be an admission of failure by both teams after only two years.....not going to happen.
[ Edited by TD49ers on Jun 18, 2019 at 12:47 PM ]

Not what they envisoned? Come on. They made a decision not go after Kirk Cousins. They could have gotten him in 2018 FA and not given up a 2nd rounder.

This so called scenario also assumes that Kirk Cousins has another poor season to which Minnesota decides to let him go; so why would you want him??? That would be two straight seasons on a quality team that has underachieved with the only real change being at QB from the 2018 NFC Championship.......and If he plays well he will not be available. I really don't see the Viking giving up on him that quickly. They made a big gamble in letting Keenum walk after his fantastic season. There would need to be an admission of failure by both teams after only two years.....not going to happen.

dude had 1 hell of a poor season
Originally posted by RonMexico:

And if he continues to play poorly, you drop JG for him?
  • thl408
Sprinkle some incest and screw Cousins. Don't want him.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
This is a joke...or should be. Mike Florio supposedly reports that if JimmyG has a bad 2019 kyle wiil get Cousins.? Wow, that's a good one. Where on earth did that come from, or is this just your usual sportswriter begging for clicks?

Talk about WAG...wild azz guessing. Why even print something like this? Good grief.

I'm thinking Mullens is in the picture vs Cousins if Jimmy doesn't pan out. Very low probability of that happening in my opinion, though.

I hope I'm wrong on this, but the more I hear about Shanny wanting Cousins the more I think about his evaluation talent.. I do believe that if you can put a good skill position (offense) together, Shanny will be good enough to take the team to distance...

BUT I also feel that he's yet to reach the level where he can build a defense or put together a type of defense that can compete..

A big step in the right direction was acquiring Ford and Bosa. The whole defense works *much better* with a credible pass rushing LEO than if you had Solomon or Blair there at LEO. Without the LEO, you are operating more on a zone blitz, surprise the QB with an unexpected coverage or pressure scheme - vs pure talent. In other words, without a LEO that defense has to scheme itself out of trouble. *With* a LEO like Bosa, they can play mano-a-mano with the offense without having to scheme to cover their weakness.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
The article by Florio is a total reach and baseless at this point ( must be bored). Jimmy has not even played a down and we are already looking for a new QB? Why would we want Cousins? He can't win the big game on a team that went to to the NFC championship in 2018. His goes 9-7 and does not make the playoffs; he is not an elite QB that I would subject a radical change after 1 year of Jimmy G regardless of how he plays.

Who knows what Jimmy G brings in 2019 but to suggest at this stage that Cousins is an option makes no sense. If we are talking an elite Qb like Rodgers or Luck maybe......not Cousins.....stupid.

I think Mullens is a good enough stop gap QB to man the position, should Jimmy not perform, and I anticipate Kyle drafting a QB in the next draft - possibly a high round QB, to replace Jimmy as a franchise QB, if Jimmy somehow really stinks it up, which I totally don't think is going to happen.
Originally posted by RonMexico:

4,200 yards passing, 30 TDs, 10 INTs, passer rating of 99.7 while having a crappy OC that got s**t-canned and people are acting like Cousins is Brock Osweiler.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

While I agree Kirk seems to lack that "clutch" gene....he also had two offensive coordinators last yr and Keenum had Shumur (who's scheme is taylor made for his skill set). Kirk didn't have Shumur calling plays.

I feel like shumur had Keenum outside the pocket a lot, which helped that dumpster fire of an OL. You could see Keenum in Denver last yr with Musgrave

Cousins for years and years has been nothing more than above average stats paired with constant losing and/or mediocrity. I'm not saying he's the worst QB in the world, but I'd take Jimmy every day over him because Jimmy has already proven on multiple occasions to have the physical and mental fortitude to win you games when it's crunch time. Cousins over a much larger span has not.

Again, this isn't to say Jimmy's perfect and Cousins sucks. I just don't see him as a guy that will go big-time in the playoffs, but Jimmy does strike me as that type of a player.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jun 18, 2019 at 2:29 PM ]
Why and how the hell did the Jimmy Garoppolo thread become a Kirk Cousins thread?
I'd look to bringing in Kirk Cousins if Jimmy can't get more than 5 wins this year.
Share 49ersWebzone