LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Look at Aaron Rodgers and the Packers. He did terrible with a defense that couldn't stop anything.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by Tru2RedNGold25:
I pray he's at least becomes a poor man's Tom Brady. I had so much hope at the end of 2017, but what i saw in the small sample size in the beginning of 2018 had me concerned, it seemed that DC's adjusted to him N he was less comfortable in the pocket. Hope he works his ass of this off season so he can play like the 2017 Jimmy G so we can actually have a fighting chance this upcoming Season.

Put those first three games into context, especially the Detroit game. What is the one thing that stood out above everything else? There is one common thread running through those first three games: the inability of our defense to stop anyone or anything. That forced Jimmy G. to put up 30-40 points a game to come away with a win. Now, put this into perspective: How many games would Tom Brady win with the Patriots if his defense was giving up 30 points a game? The answer? Not nearly as many games as he won last season.

The Jimmy G. struggles we witnessed in those first three games can be attributed to the requirement to play "catchup" ball. He had to keep scoring. Drive after drive had to result in a score, because our defense would run right back out on the field and get positively steamrolled.

That wasn't the case in those final five 2017 games. Saleh had the defense playing at a pretty high levels. Foster was absolutely crushing people like the beast we all hoped he would turn out to be. Jimmy looked pretty darn good because our defense kept giving the ball back to him. We got the ball back on punts or turnovers, rather than on kickoffs following a scoring drive by the opponent. Jimmy wasn't forced to drive the full length of the field in those five 2017 games. Sometimes it was a half of a field, or even a quarter. That wasn't the case last year. Jimmy was often called upon to drive the full length of the field in games where the game started, and ended, badly for our defense. That put a lot of pressure on him. Pressure he didn't face in 2017.

I think Jimmy G. will be just fine. But he needs to be paired with a defense that doesn't give up more than 21 points every single game. Put any QB into that situation and the results will not be good. To be honest? I'd like to see some 9-3 49er wins next season. People forget that we saw plenty of those tight wins when Montana was behind center. He simply was not brilliant and perfect in every single game. But the one thing that Montana had, that Jimmy G. doesn't have yet, was a stifling, shut it down, defense. Take a look back at those 1981, 1983 and 1984 schedules. Look at some of the scores in those games, which were usually all 49er wins. You're going to find a lot of games, not just one or two, but a lot where the 49ers pulled out 17-10 or 10-3 wins. They were not blowouts. Montana did not look like a master. The West Coast Offense wasn't tearing it up in every single game. BUT, we consistently won because of our defense.

You can't put it all on Jimmy G.'s shoulders. If that happens, we fail. Period. Pair Jimmy with a defense. Then judge him.

Great assessment 👍👍
You're on point
I pray he's at least becomes a poor man's Tom Brady. I had so much hope at the end of 2017, but what i saw in the small sample size in the beginning of 2018 had me concerned, it seemed that DC's adjusted to him N he was less comfortable in the pocket. Hope he works his ass of this off season so he can play like the 2017 Jimmy G so we can actually have a fighting chance this upcoming Season.

Some things have to be put in perspective, DET game, 9/11 against zone with 2 defensive penalties called as well.

Against man, it was like 9/14 with 1 penalty against the defense and 6 sacks taken.

I think that speaks more to losing your #1 receiver the week before, your #3/4 still not the same after back surgery, losing your matchup nightmare RB, and a raw rookie in his 2nd game shouldering the load of getting open vs a grabby defense.
Put those first three games into context, especially the Detroit game. What is the one thing that stood out above everything else? There is one common thread running through those first three games: the inability of our defense to stop anyone or anything. That forced Jimmy G. to put up 30-40 points a game to come away with a win. Now, put this into perspective: How many games would Tom Brady win with the Patriots if his defense was giving up 30 points a game? The answer? Not nearly as many games as he won last season.

The Jimmy G. struggles we witnessed in those first three games can be attributed to the requirement to play "catchup" ball. He had to keep scoring. Drive after drive had to result in a score, because our defense would run right back out on the field and get positively steamrolled.

That wasn't the case in those final five 2017 games. Saleh had the defense playing at a pretty high levels. Foster was absolutely crushing people like the beast we all hoped he would turn out to be. Jimmy looked pretty darn good because our defense kept giving the ball back to him. We got the ball back on punts or turnovers, rather than on kickoffs following a scoring drive by the opponent. Jimmy wasn't forced to drive the full length of the field in those five 2017 games. Sometimes it was a half of a field, or even a quarter. That wasn't the case last year. Jimmy was often called upon to drive the full length of the field in games where the game started, and ended, badly for our defense. That put a lot of pressure on him. Pressure he didn't face in 2017.

I think Jimmy G. will be just fine. But he needs to be paired with a defense that doesn't give up more than 21 points every single game. Put any QB into that situation and the results will not be good. To be honest? I'd like to see some 9-3 49er wins next season. People forget that we saw plenty of those tight wins when Montana was behind center. He simply was not brilliant and perfect in every single game. But the one thing that Montana had, that Jimmy G. doesn't have yet, was a stifling, shut it down, defense. Take a look back at those 1981, 1983 and 1984 schedules. Look at some of the scores in those games, which were usually all 49er wins. You're going to find a lot of games, not just one or two, but a lot where the 49ers pulled out 17-10 or 10-3 wins. They were not blowouts. Montana did not look like a master. The West Coast Offense wasn't tearing it up in every single game. BUT, we consistently won because of our defense.

You can't put it all on Jimmy G.'s shoulders. If that happens, we fail. Period. Pair Jimmy with a defense. Then judge him.

What?? The Vikings put up 17 points on offense and we had a comfortable lead vs the link ns
Originally posted by frenchmov:

What?? The Vikings put up 17 points on offense and we had a comfortable lead vs the link ns

Look at that Minnesota game again. Take off your rose colored glasses. The Vikings positively smashed our defense all game long. It was 10-3 at halftime and could have easily been 17-3 or worse had it not been for a Vikings turnover or two. Then, the Vikes came out in the 3rd quarter and positively rammed the ball down our throats for a 17-3 lead. After the 49ers responded with a field goal, the Vikings AGAIN took the ball the length of the field and absolutely obliterated our defense again for a 24-6 lead. Only with 31 seconds left in the third quarter did we close the gap. Not many QB's can come back from a 24-6 deficit, on the road no less.

Jimmy G. made it pretty in the 4th, but the game was essentially over because our defense could not stop the Vikings.

And for the Detroit game, JEEZ LOUISE, don't get me started! How many times did we have our first win wrapped up and in the bag before the defense blew it? Again and again?

If our defense holds the punchless Vikes (and they were pretty punchless all season long) to 10-13 points, we EASILY win that game.

At any rate, my main point remains, give Jimmy G. a defense that can actually shut down an opposing offense, then see what happens. You're not going to win many games if your defense keeps giving up long drives and scores -- I don't care who is at QB.

Great assessment 👍👍
You're on point
And the defense was creating turnovers against Sacksonville. 2018 I think the young guys on D thought they had arrived and weren't as focused. (that's my opinion anyway)
Throw in the whole Shanahan playbook verses the "Gameplan" version of 2017 and "2018 Jimmy" was playing the way Matt Ryan looked his first year in Shanahan's system.
Hopefully the year off of watching and learning the entire playbook will allow Jimmy to hit the ground running this upcoming year.
  • thl408
Jimmy was a QB toddler coming into the 2018 season with 8(?) career starts under his belt. Then he only played 3 games in 2018. I know he is a 6th year player, but 3.5 years holding a clipboard for Brady is not playing experience. He has a ton of playing experience still to gain. There will be growing pains and he should still be getting better and better.
I'm gonna need Jimmy to drop his nuts on the league next year. Got some Bears fans talking serious chit. How anyone can think Trubisky is the better QB is beyond me but whatever.

I'm confident Jimmy will do just that.
Jimmy G has shown enough in his brief play to suggest he can handle it. He has awareness in the pocket and can slide to avoid the rush. Arm strength is no problem, the only flaw I've seen is that sometimes he throws into tight windows.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Jimmy G has shown enough in his brief play to suggest he can handle it. He has awareness in the pocket and can slide to avoid the rush. Arm strength is no problem, the only flaw I've seen is that sometimes he throws into tight windows.

Antonio Brown is only gonna help EVERYTHING.

Originally posted by Rathof44:

Perhaps. But I just don't see it happening with KS. I think they will probably view Foster as their one "free bite." They likely view AB as an unacceptable risk. I'm pretty sure they'll pass.
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:

Perhaps. But I just don't see it happening with KS. I think they will probably view Foster as their one "free bite." They likely view AB as an unacceptable risk. I'm pretty sure they'll pass.

Foster's situation was far worse than what AB did. On top of that Foster made said situation worse when he stayed with the same crazy ass woman.
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:

Well this will be year three with very little to show for it. Granted injuries were a big factor in 2018. Kittle has proven to be the one real offensive weapon. Breida is nice but can't handle a RB1 workload. Goodwin has been unreliable and Garcon was nonexistent, Pettis shows promise. AB has missed 5 games since 2012 and is an absolute game changer. Time to sh*t or get off the pot. Sick of wallowing in mediocrity.....(Signing Sanders or Demaryius Thomas does not count as improvement.)
[ Edited by Rathof44 on Feb 16, 2019 at 9:12 PM ]
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Look at that Minnesota game again. Take off your rose colored glasses. The Vikings positively smashed our defense all game long. It was 10-3 at halftime and could have easily been 17-3 or worse had it not been for a Vikings turnover or two. Then, the Vikes came out in the 3rd quarter and positively rammed the ball down our throats for a 17-3 lead. After the 49ers responded with a field goal, the Vikings AGAIN took the ball the length of the field and absolutely obliterated our defense again for a 24-6 lead. Only with 31 seconds left in the third quarter did we close the gap. Not many QB's can come back from a 24-6 deficit, on the road no less.

Jimmy G. made it pretty in the 4th, but the game was essentially over because our defense could not stop the Vikings.

And for the Detroit game, JEEZ LOUISE, don't get me started! How many times did we have our first win wrapped up and in the bag before the defense blew it? Again and again?

If our defense holds the punchless Vikes (and they were pretty punchless all season long) to 10-13 points, we EASILY win that game.

At any rate, my main point remains, give Jimmy G. a defense that can actually shut down an opposing offense, then see what happens. You're not going to win many games if your defense keeps giving up long drives and scores -- I don't care who is at QB.

Kittle dropping the ball when wide open, Bourne running the wrong route and Morris fumbling.

You can't cite Vikings miscues as a reason for them to dominate and omit our own.
[ Edited by Buchy on Feb 18, 2019 at 4:42 AM ]
Originally posted by Buchy:

Kittle dropping the ball when wide open, Bourne running the wrong route and McKinnon fumbling.

You can't cite Vikings miscues as a reason for them to dominate and omit our own.

About that...
Share 49ersWebzone