There are 137 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Jack49ers84:
Well, that's nice and all, but now that training camp is starting it's probably time to move on from last season. If we lose in week 1 against Minnesota, it won't really matter what we did last year.
you have an odd way of rooting for this team
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
HAHA what a silly comment....I bet if we had the golden locks of CJ teams would have laid down in the fetal position as well.

Oh wait he was getting sacks 5 times a game https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/11/7/16619302/49ers-cardinals-film-gif-video-sacks-cj-beathard-jimmy-garoppolo-week-9

Our team was immensely better when the QB play improved and it wasn't even debatable

but yeah teams weren't even playing vs SF those last 5 weeks, they wanted SF to look good and two playoff teams weren't really fighting for better spots...also you're acting like those teams over the course of those close loses were pulling starters lol .....they would have tried harder

dude, obviously once we made the switch to jimmy teams just stopped trying.

we were playing fierce competition right up until week 13

But only as fierce as they needed to be. If we had better QB play, they would have been even MOAR FIERCE!
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

TBH, I just try to avoid getting too excited or optimistic about our chances. Over the last 15 years or so, we've mostly sucked. We also have a history of winning meaningless games at the end of the season only to still suck the next year. I want JG to succeed, but it is better imo to be realistic and think of the reasons why this team won't succeed.

This is probably true. Teams generally start being eliminated from the playoff race or secure their playoff position right around weeks 12-17. It'd explain why there was a drop off in competition around then.
HAHA what a silly comment....I bet if we had the golden locks of CJ teams would have laid down in the fetal position as well.

Oh wait he was getting sacks 5 times a game https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/11/7/16619302/49ers-cardinals-film-gif-video-sacks-cj-beathard-jimmy-garoppolo-week-9

Our team was immensely better when the QB play improved and it wasn't even debatable

but yeah teams weren't even playing vs SF those last 5 weeks, they wanted SF to look good and two playoff teams weren't really fighting for better spots...also you're acting like those teams over the course of those close loses were pulling starters lol .....they would have tried harder

HAHA right

They played 3 playoff teams in those first 13 weeks...super fierce.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 24, 2018 at 2:04 PM ]

This is probably true. Teams generally start being eliminated from the playoff race or secure their playoff position right around weeks 12-17. It'd explain why there was a drop off in competition around then.

exactly
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

TBH, I just try to avoid getting too excited or optimistic about our chances. Over the last 15 years or so, we've mostly sucked. We also have a history of winning meaningless games at the end of the season only to still suck the next year. I want JG to succeed, but it is better imo to be realistic and think of the reasons why this team won't succeed.
being realistic ? denying what really happened at the end of last year isn't realistic tho

pretending teams that need to secure playoff spots had nothing to play for isn't realistic.

if you soulfully feel this way, I think you can come up with better arguments than what you have been posting
Originally posted by Niners816:
All your comments disprove that....

You think my comments indicate I'd be unhappy if we won 5 Super Bowls with JG? Let's hope we get a chance to see if that's the case. Right now, we haven't won anything other than a few glorified preseason games at the end of last season that don't matter anymore. I look forward to watching JG back up his talk this season in games that count for something.

And this comment proves my pt...if that was CJ that beat 3 playoff teams (yes the Rams game didn't have all it's starters) and all of the offensive stats & defensive stats improved like they did when he was the QB you'd be rock hard over it.

FYI no regular season game is a preseason game buzzy, players and coaches don't think like that. They get paid to but W on the board along with getting incentives for stats.

I always go back to this....how many of those nfl record close loses do you think we would have won if our QB would have been completing 67% of his passes, scoring points on 60% of his drives and converting 3rd downs over 50% of the time?

Agree 816, and i have spent hours this offseason watching those last 5 games, over and over and , well, over...and come up with we win all 5 of those 3 pt or less games. All 5. I specifically watched each game with that in mind...could jimmmy have won them, and i came up with yes.

Now, as for the final 5 games those were all legit wins but one...obviously the Rams game where they held out their 4 or 5 best starters. If they all had played, well, i am not so certain who would have won that game. Perhaps the nod goes to the rams. So say 5 Ws plus CJs W, plus 4 of the last 5 , not all 5 ...comes to 10 Ws. The only game really questionable to me is that Rams game, jimmy's game. Just too much talent for us in that game. Cannot wait for the two rubber matches this yr, tho. They got more awesome talent that is ready. We got a lot of new talent but Green. Still and all those should be fine, fine, games. Maybe a W at each home court. I don't see either team taking both. If that happens, whoever it is....would be my favorite in the SB.

And the interesting things about that is we are being rated this yr based on our actual Ws. Nobody has looked at those 5 consecutive 3 pts or less losses with Jimmy behind center. I just can't see how we lose any of them. So while most are using our 6 W season as a starter, i am counting us a 10 W team. Makes a big difference in betting lines....but overall, ratings people are not factoring those 5 close losses in...and should be. Just my opinion. I really don't like their interior DL nor their CBs. Now if some of those guys put it on cruise control, and figure they already got their bucks....well then maybe we have an advantage. We've seen Jimmy play and we know what he plus kyle means to the game. A lot of betting fans, prognosticators, sports talking heads...they aren't factoring the kyle/jimmy factor in. Big mistake. BIG mistake. I haven't come up with a way to factor that duo in, but it is worth a lot...and most folks don't even know about it.

The most fascinating thing coming up for me is whether we have so much new that we just aren't ready to play the first 4 games. Does anyone really doubt kyle won't have this team ready by season opener. 4-4 is being bandied about. I don't see that. I think we steam roll coming out of the chute. But nobody really knows til the games are played. This may sound a bit strange, but i expect jimmy to be better than last yrs 5 games. Better. Yeah.
its quite hilarious how the narrative changed from "don't play jimmy at all" "he's gonna get killed behind that oline" "he'll be lucky to win a game" etc etc

then he balled out and went undefeated

so predictably the narrative changed to "yeah but jimmy played nobody" "it was all garbage time wins" etc
I always go back to this....how many of those nfl record close loses do you think we would have won if our QB would have been completing 67% of his passes, scoring points on 60% of his drives and converting 3rd downs over 50% of the time?

None of them. The other teams would have tried harder if we were playing better.

Yeah....I forgot, Jimmy being named starter just happen to occur with our OL turning into the 90's Cowboys and the defense turning into the 85 bears.

Oh BTW, your whole narrative of the last 5 games being meaningless is silly. It's divorced from reality. Do better.

Yeah....I forgot, Jimmy being named starter just happen to occur with our OL turning into the 90's Cowboys and the defense turning into the 85 bears.

Oh BTW, your whole narrative of the last 5 games being meaningless is silly. It's divorced from reality. Do better.

Nah, those games are meaningless. They don't count towards this year's record and we were already out of playoff contention when they happened last year. Largely meaningless. They were slightly useful as a tool for evaluating some of the players.
[ Edited by Jack49ers84 on Jul 24, 2018 at 2:26 PM ]

None of them. The other teams would have tried harder if we were playing better.

right I mean he had our best pass-blocker and #1 WR for those meaningless games vs teams trying to play for playoff seeding....oh wait.

Stats don't lie and this team vastly improved on both sides of the ball once Kyle got a good QB. Period.

Lets see if an actual offseason learning the playbook and getting some more talent around him will help...I'm gonna go out on a limb and say yup.

Well, that's nice and all, but now that training camp is starting it's probably time to move on from last season. If we lose in week 1 against Minnesota, it won't really matter what we did last year.

Lol you can't sit here and talk about last yr saying games were meaningless then in the same breathe say time to move on from last season once you see something you don't like...
Lol you can't sit here and talk about last yr saying games were meaningless then in the same breathe say time to move on from last season once you see something you don't like...

Sure I can. Those wins were largely meaningless. Last year is largely meaningless. Time to look towards this season.

Nah, those games are meaningless. They don't count towards this year's record and we were already out of playoff contention when they happened last year. Largely meaningless. They were slightly useful as a tool for evaluating some of the players.

what a dumb comment. Guess Peyton Manning's first season was meaningless in regards to saying if he was a good QB because they went 3-13. Guess joe Montana's 1980 season was meaningless. I guess Rogers 2008 season was meaningless....again they played as many playoff teams in those final 5 games as they did in the first 13 weeks. Two of which were fighting for playoff seeding.
Share 49ersWebzone