LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 265 users in the forums

Week 1 2017: Thoughts after watching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Nice summary Marvin, but here's what I think the game came down to: protection and holes.

The offense has to do its part, particularly the offensive line. It wasn't just the Beadles and Fusco, Kilgore called a terrible game and the protection calls were also wrong most of the time. In Shanny's offense the OC is responsible for calling protection and Kilgore was just plain bad at it. Sure Hoyer isn't Joe, but NO QB is good when the interior protection is routinely given up 1.5 seconds after the snap. Beadles in particular simply couldn't block one-on-one. It's like a defensive player not being able to run. Added to insult was the absolute lack of any sustained blocking in zones and defense routinely shed their blocks and went straight to the runner. It was a testament to just how talented Hyde is to even get the yards that he had. Hoyers early passes during the game were on the money. However any QB starts to rush throws and hear footsteps when he getting hit on every freaking play even after the ball is let go. Again, his interior line was MIA, including the center. Shanny *must* do something about this, maybe max protect but I know this completely changes his offense. And when the offense can't get anything going or even turn a gift turnover or stop into points, the defense at some point runs out of gas. We know this story all too well from years past. Poor OL play, even more than poor DL play IMHO is the death of teams and their most important player more times than not. Shanny opted to go with the motley crew on the interior and now he needs to fix it before the season is lost.
Dude, the season was lost before it began. This is a REBUILD. It ain't happening this year. Four wins. Get used to it. Four wins.
Nice write up Marvin49. Patience, patience & more patience is exactly what i kept telling myself all game long. 1st game or the 1st season of the rebuild. Let's hope for some improvement from week to week! Go 49ers!
  • dj43
The game of football is about blocking and tackling.

We tackled much better than last season but we didn't block any better than last season.

We made some progress.

Patience is the word.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
That guy was 23 years old at the start of the game

• Andra
  • Veteran
Niners looked better yesterday then they did last year, on both sides of the ball. They still need a lot of work obviously. Tartt has got to get better at tackling.
We have some real jack ass fans on here. Nobody is saying we are going to the playoffs but sheesh, some of you guys with this season is over stuff is crazy. When you started your jobs were you more efficient at first or now after some time. These guys can't pick this stuff up in a training camp fellas, but Hoyer clearly has a good grasp on it. Our O line is the key to offensive success, and they were dominated which is why the offense didn't click fully. Also as a professional wide receiver if the ball touches both hands it damn well better be caught. Goodwin changed the entire flow of our offense with that drop.
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
Was waiting for your thread Marvin :)

I saw a lot of similar things, I actually thought we were competitive in many areas but we just shot ourselves in the foot continually with penalties and poor execution.

The Oline has been terrible for 5 years now, we just haven't addressed it enough in the draft, and until we do then our success will be more dependant on the quality of the opposing team's front 7 than it should be.

I'm also concerned on pass rush, we seemed to constantly rush 4 and I saw very few blitzes so this will be another position to address. We had some blown coverage but by and large I felt our secondary played well.

It would definitely have been a different game if Foster had stayed in there and if Goodwin had caught that pass, but that speaks to the depth on the roster and the fact we are rebuilding.

I liked our play calling and scheme, once we get the players we'll be contenders. This is a team lacking enough talent at the moment, the coaching, philosophy and scheme looks to be in place though.
[ Edited by Buchy on Sep 11, 2017 at 11:25 PM ]
My thoughts
Shanahan is in way over his head. He will be a good HC at his next stop. Should have hired McDaniels
Hoyer sucks. The decision to trade Alex Smith instead of Kaepernick will forever haunt this once proud franchise
Originally posted by valrod33:
My thoughts
Shanahan is in way over his head. He will be a good HC at his next stop. Should have hired McDaniels
Hoyer sucks. The decision to trade Alex Smith instead of Kaepernick will forever haunt this once proud franchise

Shanahan is in way over his head. He will be a good HC at his next stop.
This does not make a lick of sense, logically. He is in over his head here, but he will just become better by going elsewhere? Based on what? Surely you cannot be suggesting a simple geographic change will all of a sudden make him comfortable.

If you are intimating he will be better at his next stop because he will have experience (seems obvious)...well, he will have that same experience whether he stays or goes. So, by your own words, the logical conclusion is that he will be good here.

Should have hired McDaniels
What, exactly, has McDaniels done on his own? He took over an 8-8 2008 Denver team, and they didn't look better in 2009, finishing with an identical record. No need to even talk about the debacle that was his 3-9 start in 2010. McDaniels, like most things New England, look better with Belichick than without.

The decision to trade Alex Smith instead of Kaepernick will forever haunt this once proud franchise
If the Red Sox and Cubs can win a World Series, I have no doubts the 49ers can overcome a curse borne by the departure of the above mentioned "Hall of Famers."
[ Edited by Polkadots on Sep 12, 2017 at 12:13 AM ]

My thoughts

Shanahan needs to chill at the press conferences. Dont be rushed and nervous after getting smashed. one step at a time. you were given garbage and and you are making garbage souffle. With better ingredients comes a better product. Walsh had a great system but it took drafting lott wright williamson to get to the promised land. Just do what you do. things will work out.

McDaniels wouldnt be any better. Having alex wouldnt change much, now. alex >> hoyer but not by much.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
My thoughts

Shanahan needs to chill at the press conferences. Dont be rushed and nervous after getting smashed. one step at a time. you were given garbage and and you are making garbage souffle. With better ingredients comes a better product. Walsh had a great system but it took drafting lott wright williamson to get to the promised land. Just do what you do. things will work out.

McDaniels wouldnt be any better. Having alex wouldnt change much, now. alex >> hoyer but not by much.

Alex is light years better than Hoyer, lol.

But also, Alex needs to be in the same system for at least a year to be extremely effective, as we saw here and now in KC.

Hoyer will probably get better as the year wears on, as Shanahan's system isn't the easiest to grasp.
Originally posted by Andra:
Niners looked better yesterday then they did last year, on both sides of the ball. They still need a lot of work obviously. Tartt has got to get better at tackling.

No... actually we looked good (with an injury filled team) in the first half of games....at least with Kaepernick.
I normally don't get too worked up about what the refs are doing but this game pissed me off.
My thoughts

I will take a conference championship and 4-2 playoff record in 2 1/2 years. That's better than Alex's career.

Firing Harbaugh instead of Baalke will forever haunt this once proud franchise.
Share 49ersWebzone