LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 278 users in the forums

Game 1 2017: vs Carolina Panthers (Post Game Observations)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by kidash98:
Originally posted by gold49digger:
So you're saying that with a rookie hc and a journey man qb thats only starting by default against one of the best defenses in the nfl struggled today? Who woulda thunk??

I know we looked bad but s**t we looked good the last 2 openers and they were major flukes. This team is super young, let them grow.

I was expecting our o-line to show some life, is that too much to ask?

Pretty much same line as last year though.
No.

It wasnt a shot at you.

But i agree mostly. I think mitchell looked good.

Juz looked ok. A few missed assignments, but then had some good plays.
Not gonna happen if our line falter like they did. Our guards were atrocious.

Yep. And the dline got thete hands up on short drops, and the oline still let the through.
Originally posted by niners94:

And you would have thought they would at least try to fix it....
Thomas isnt fixing the pass rush or run D.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
So you're saying that with a rookie hc and a journey man qb thats only starting by default against one of the best defenses in the nfl struggled today? Who woulda thunk??

The Panthers do not have one of the best defenses in the NFL.

Uh, yes they do. Their d line and LB core are in the top half.
I don't think our secondary was terrible. They had no pass rush to work with.
Our run defense looked good.
O-line weak spots are obviously at the guard spot.
Goodwin has to catch those deep balls, no homo. Garcon is a reliable catcher.
Foster is an animal. Injury doesn't appear to be serious my guess is a high ankle sprain.
Originally posted by swoosh6996:

Wrong. Charles johnson, kawan short, star loteleli(?), luke keuchly, and shaq thompson are j7st scrubs, they are lucky to have a roster spot.
Not surprised we suck. Although a bit surprised we suck this bad. This is like some 2005-2010 s**t. I'm open to CJ getting a shot. Hoyer isn't going to do s**t.
Originally posted by niners94:

And you would have thought they would at least try to fix it....

Tiller was our best performing guard last year then he got benched for Garnett. To this day not sure why they benched him for Garnett and that they kept beadles in the line up.

HC/GM ego maybe?

Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Need to get the ball out faster on pass plays.

Yes. This was noticable. Still better than kap and gobbert.
All in all, about what I expected. I think having Foster would of made a lil difference. If Goodwin catches that ball might of lit a fire early. We need Ward back n healthy, still nut much pressure would like to see A Lynch suited up next game. D line did a little better against the run, I bet last year Carolina would of had alot more rushing yards. Hoyer made a few bad decisions IE missing Taylor on the 4 yard line. Sailed one over Goodwins hands in the 3rd I think. S. Thomas and Buckner, and AA need to produce more as far as getting after the QB. Seattles awful o line should prove interesting.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Not surprised we suck. Although a bit surprised we suck this bad. This is like some 2005-2010 s**t. I'm open to CJ getting a shot. Hoyer isn't going to do s**t.

Dont think shanny would put in CJ this earlier. Even if hoyer by some miracle finds a way to beat seattle next game, hoyer still needs to go. I think we all knew hoyer was a stop gap, i didnt think he would play this bad.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
No pass rush whatsoever
Feed Hyde the damned ball
[ Edited by dmax on Sep 10, 2017 at 5:16 PM ]
Originally posted by swoosh6996:

Yup. Last year was an off year for the Panther Defense, largely due to the injury to Kuechly and the loss of Norman causing a big drop off in the secondary. Kawann Short and Star Lutelelei are very good up front, Kuechly will compete for DPOY if he stays healthy. The Secondary is starting to come together.

Still, the 9ers OL looked lost and completely over matched.

Going to be a long start to the season with a really tough first half schedule. Probably be completely out of contention by the time the Team starts to gel, and the inevitable injuries show up.
Share 49ersWebzone