There are 123 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Here's the 2nd big opportunity to hit Goodwin that was missed.



This one was in the 3rd QTR and we're going to run a "mills" concept. We first line Juice out wide, revealing the zone coverage and then motion him back inside.



We run PA to suck up the underneath coverage like before. The key reads on this play are the safeties. The "mills" is a combo of a post on the outside with a "DIG" on the inside. We ran the "Mills" a lot with Chip last year. It's really good against cover 4 but also works against a cover 2. In cover 2 you're going to read your backside safety where if you have a safety drive on "DIG" you throw the post and vice versa.



The backside safety is watching Hoyer and he's playing the DIG. This means the throw should go to Goodwin.



Here's the key read. The safety is flat footed on the DIG and Goodwin is breaking on a post route. Hoyer is in mid windup here; he should throw this over the backside safety and lead Goodwin down the field.



This is the area that Hoyer should be throwing to. It actually should be about 20 yards farther down field but it's not available to show because Goodwin can cover some serious ground.



Instead, for some reason Hoyer throws it down the near hash. Not sure if he was thinking Goodwin was gonna stay straight ahead or if he just really misthrew the ball that badly. But he's wayyyyy off target from where the ball should be. He puts this out there and Goodwin might have a TD.



That's 2, count em, 2 big opportunities to Goodwin missed in the game. However, we hit one later that looked like it was a terrible decision when he let it go but Goodwin just straight out ran his guy to a perfectly placed ball.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Here's the 2nd big opportunity to hit Goodwin that was missed.



This one was in the 3rd QTR and we're going to run a "mills" concept. We first line Juice out wide, revealing the zone coverage and then motion him back inside.
Maybe goodwins route should have been a straight up Vert on that play ?
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Oct 11, 2017 at 11:42 AM ]
At least we are competitive this year.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Hello my friend we meet again, it's been a while where should we begin?

I trust the week has been well to most of you and has allowed a little time for any wounds from Sunday to heal. So, if they have it's time to rip them back open. This was probably the most frustrating game of the year to watch. We had a number of missed opportunities and the blame could be spread around.

I'm still hoping Marquise Goodwin has a monster game one of these days because we missed him on 2 BIG opportunities in the game. One was on T. Brown, the other on Hoyer.

The defense was a mish mash of blame. Critical plays go against Armstead, Saleh, Ward and Tartt. If I were to whittle the blame down to most egregious and responsible for the loss I'd put it on those 4. What's most troubling is that the list includes two 1st round and a 2nd round pick.... That's a lot of draft capital invested in guys getting you beat. Just my opinion though.

Overall - It's hard to say the team isn't competing and hasn't had games for the winning this year when we've had one game come down to a last second TD drive, 2 overtime losses and a 3rd game that should've been overtime had our kicker who has the longest active FG streak hadn't missed an extra point....

I still really enjoy the Shanny hire as his offense continues to show up on film. His play calling and timing have been the best I've seen since I've been watching film here. We just got to put together some more parts and get this thing humming.

I'm not going to do quite as much writing and try and get more cut-ups going. Stay tuned!

Do you think Ward and Tartt shouldn't figure into future plans?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Maybe goodwins route should have been a straight up Vert on that play ?

no, Gacron's route indicates what Goodwin's route should be based off it. The concept beat 2 deep safety's and im not sure what the point for Garcon's route would be if Goodwin's was designed to be just a straight up GO route.
Originally posted by Stevec9932:
At least we are competitive this year.
That's why this is the perfect season so far. We're literally a few ball bounces away from a 4-1 record which would have been disastrous since we still need multiple pieces in the draft to be a complete team.

If we were getting blown out, that would be an issue. But this offense with a blue chip WR and a QB could be tearing the league up in a couple of years.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Overall - It's hard to say the team isn't competing and hasn't had games for the winning this year when we've had one game come down to a last second TD drive, 2 overtime losses and a 3rd game that should've been overtime had our kicker who has the longest active FG streak hadn't missed an extra point...

The propensity we have to shoot ourselves in the foot at the most inopportune time with varying personnel is a special special skill thus far.

In fact, it's so automatic, the instant we have a positive play, I don't even get that excited anymore and immediately start looking for a flag.

Predicting the next eff up is one hell of a drinking game too!

...the joys of a young team learning new systems trying to break through a losing culture.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Maybe goodwins route should have been a straight up Vert on that play ?

no, Gacron's route indicates what Goodwin's route should be based off it. The concept beat 2 deep safety's and im not sure what the point for Garcon's route would be if Goodwin's was designed to be just a straight up GO route.
That post route leaves the safeties over the top and underneath leaving no room for error on that throw. thats why i think Hoyer through it where a vertical route would have took goodwin leaving him with only one safety covering



this route play covered earlier is perfect for a that post play as Garcon make the SS bite low

[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Oct 11, 2017 at 12:24 PM ]
Here is why I think Hyde got benched for a while in the game. The play right before this he had fumbled the ball. It's 3rd down and we're going to run a couple pick/rub type plays looking to beat man coverage.



Indy does run man-coverage.



I wanted to highlight this point because you'll see 3 of our receivers have won their route by leverage. They'll all got leverage for where their route is going to break.



Now, this play doesn't just go against Hyde. Hoyer has Goodwin here with a win. He's won his route and is open - though Hoyer missed this same throw earlier in the game. Instead, Hoyer is locked in on Garcon - though, hard not to believe in Garcon winning on 3rd down in man-coverage.



We have 2 guys who are reasonably open. Kittles prob wouldn't have gotten a 1st down but if he makes his guy miss he's got a huge play and Taylor looks like he has a chance. Instead, it's an 8 yard sack.



From this angle we'll see what Hyde did wrong. I've highlighted the # of potential rushers - 6 in total. The O-line or QB will count how many are on which side the QB will determine the "mike" so the C can then see which side of the formation he's on and adjust the line - or, more likely in Shanny's offense from what I've seen from older Shanny, it will determine which protection it will be. The line slides right to pickup all defenders on that side of the C - that leaves Hyde with blitz responsibility on the backside.



The slide works and we pick up the initial rushers. The LB was in man-coverage on Hyde and seeing Hyde stay in to block he decides to blitz. This is where Hyde has to fill the hole he's now responsible for.



Hyde completely misses the blitz pickup and Garcon got held....

Hoyer gets sacked for -8 and never had time to move to his checkdown in Taylor who had a chance on the play. Either way, we still had an opportunity to move field position at least 14 yards the other way if we have a 6 yard gain instead of an 8 yard sack. Which would've been important considering we had Indy in a 3rd and 29 from the 31 on their drive after this and they came away with a game changing FG.
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 20,916
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Maybe goodwins route should have been a straight up Vert on that play ?

no, Gacron's route indicates what Goodwin's route should be based off it. The concept beat 2 deep safety's and im not sure what the point for Garcon's route would be if Goodwin's was designed to be just a straight up GO route.
I think Goodwin is making a 'Middle of Field Closed' versus 'Middle of Field Open' read. If it's MOFC, then it's a skinny Post to avoid the middle of the field. If it's MOFO, which it is, then it's a Post route to split the two safeties, right down the middle of the field.

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Maybe goodwins route should have been a straight up Vert on that play ?

no, Gacron's route indicates what Goodwin's route should be based off it. The concept beat 2 deep safety's and im not sure what the point for Garcon's route would be if Goodwin's was designed to be just a straight up GO route.
That post route leaves the safeties over the top and underneath leaving no room for error on that throw. thats why i think Hoyer through it where a vertical route would have took goodwin leaving him with only one safety covering



this route play covered earlier is perfect for a that post play as Garcon make the SS bite low


you have to remember that's Goodwin with his speed though. Hoyer doesn't have to throw it across the field, even if he just throws it over the top down the other hash Goodwin can adjust and still get it and there's no way in Hades that backside safety even pinches the window.



I know you can't really see the ball in the GIF but by the time it comes down Goodwin is at the 42 or so. There's no way that safety is gonna get there. Also, looking at it again, even if he does throw it across the field the safeties hips are turned and he's not going to be able to flip his hips and run with Goodwin either.
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 20,916
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Here is why I think Hyde got benched for a while in the game. The play right before this he had fumbled the ball. It's 3rd down and we're going to run a couple pick/rub type plays looking to beat man coverage.



Indy does run man-coverage.

I wanted to highlight this point because you'll see 3 of our receivers have won their route by leverage. They'll all got leverage for where their route is going to break.

Now, this play doesn't just go against Hyde. Hoyer has Goodwin here with a win. He's won his route and is open - though Hoyer missed this same throw earlier in the game. Instead, Hoyer is locked in on Garcon - though, hard not to believe in Garcon winning on 3rd down in man-coverage.

We have 2 guys who are reasonably open. Kittles prob wouldn't have gotten a 1st down but if he makes his guy miss he's got a huge play and Taylor looks like he has a chance. Instead, it's an 8 yard sack.

From this angle we'll see what Hyde did wrong. I've highlighted the # of potential rushers - 6 in total. The O-line or QB will count how many are on which side the QB will determine the "mike" so the C can then see which side of the formation he's on and adjust the line - or, more likely in Shanny's offense from what I've seen from older Shanny, it will determine which protection it will be. The line slides right to pickup all defenders on that side of the C - that leaves Hyde with blitz responsibility on the backside.

The slide works and we pick up the initial rushers. The LB was in man-coverage on Hyde and seeing Hyde stay in to block he decides to blitz. This is where Hyde has to fill the hole he's now responsible for.

Hyde completely misses the blitz pickup and Garcon got held....

Hoyer gets sacked for -8 and never had time to move to his checkdown in Taylor who had a chance on the play. Either way, we still had an opportunity to move field position at least 14 yards the other way if we have a 6 yard gain instead of an 8 yard sack. Which would've been important considering we had Indy in a 3rd and 29 from the 31 on their drive after this and they came away with a game changing FG.
jd, there was another instance, I believe it was a 3rd & 11 when Hoyer targeted Kittle on a drag route, that Hyde missed a blitz pickup and it resulted in Hoyer being unable to let the routes develop. It was Cover1 blitz and the blitzer came unblocked up the middle. Had Hyde been able to pick it up, Garcon had the entire middle of the field to work a Dig route. Instead, Hoyer has to hurry and target Kittle to avoid a sack, and the defender made the tackle on Kittle well short of the first down marker. Not a good day for Hyde in the pass pro department.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Maybe goodwins route should have been a straight up Vert on that play ?

no, Gacron's route indicates what Goodwin's route should be based off it. The concept beat 2 deep safety's and im not sure what the point for Garcon's route would be if Goodwin's was designed to be just a straight up GO route.
I think Goodwin is making a 'Middle of Field Closed' versus 'Middle of Field Open' read. If it's MOFC, then it's a skinny Post to avoid the middle of the field. If it's MOFO, which it is, then it's a Post route to split the two safeties, right down the middle of the field.

And even if it's a skinny post that's still a horrible throw by Hoyer, lol. How does he miss this throw so badly but then drop a dime 60 yards down the field later??
Originally posted by thl408:
jd, there was another instance, I believe it was a 3rd & 11 when Hoyer targeted Kittle on a drag route, that Hyde missed a blitz pickup and it resulted in Hoyer being unable to let the routes develop. It was Cover1 blitz and the blitzer came unblocked up the middle. Had Hyde been able to pick it up, Garcon had the entire middle of the field to work a Dig route. Instead, Hoyer has to hurry and target Kittle to avoid a sack, and the defender made the tackle on Kittle well short of the first down marker. Not a good day for Hyde in the pass pro department.

Good call, I know exactly what play you're talking about. Too bad Kittles couldn't make his guy miss on that play cause he had a lot of green ahead of him if he could've.

Also, Breida had some nice runs right after this play I showed. He had 2, 10+ yard runs in 3 plays. One of which if he hadn't tripped on he might have taken to the house or at least had a 30 yarder.
During the game Spielman mentioned that Robinson was wide open in the end zone and Hoyer decided tontrhrow a swing pass to Brieda. I think it was the during the FG drive to make the score 16-9. Was Spielman right? Did Hoyer miss a wide open TD?
Share 49erswebzone