There are 235 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by AlexCat49er:
How is there no shot of the OPI?

Yeah, I find that oddly suspicious. 62 cameras are used for the Supetbowl alone. This was a nationally televised Thursday night game and the All22 is set up in your own stadium for the coaches to use so call me skeptical that they couldn't find a single camera view on that one.

Here's the all-22 so you can see for yourself. There is a little push-off but compare it to Watkins....not even close.

Originally posted by defenderDX:
NFL has changed what rule?

Where they kick the point-after from.
Originally posted by thl408:
Just to stay with Watkins to show how he can be good when healthy.
DJ vs Watkins
Pin concept vs Cover 1 blitz

Watkins releases inside and quickly stacks DJ. Goff mid windup and Ward is breaking.

+40 yards. I thought Ward's path was fine. Good throw to angle Watkins towards the sideline, and away from Ward who almost got there.

Geesh...that's just perfect execution right there. Wow.
  • thl408
wouldnt it help if DJ at least jammed Watkins a little??? I mean he's practically pressed
DJ was not aligned in a tight press at the snap and Watkins gave him a nice juke off the line. If DJ wanted to grab a bit after Watkins starts his route, that chance disappeared quick (TV view shows good slowmo).
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
No! Grant Cohn is utterly clueless about football? Say it ain't so!

Yep all you need is Deep balls, stick n Nod from shotgun and no shifts or motions(his latest gem). #footballbygrant
  • thl408
Perhaps the biggest of the 3rd down conversions given up by the 49er defense. 8 point game in the 4th.
The 49ers will pattern match from Cover2 Zone vs Daggers

Besides the Daggers concept, there's the dreaded Deep Cross from the #3 WR out of trips formation. Remember back to CAR, the 49ers had trouble with this route and left it open several times (this was covered in the CAR film thread, now merged in this thread).

The field Cover2 safety seems to favor the middle of the field more than a Cover2 safety should. So I'm not positive about Cover2.

The 49ers adjusted to the Deep Cross form #3 by using the weakside Hook defender to match it. That's what happens here as RayRay matches #3. Bow will match the drag route. If this is a Cover2 pattern match coverage, there are two safeties deep, 4 man rush, each of the remaining 5 need to man cover.

This is either a busted coverage in terms of a player missing an assignment, or a perfect route combination that breaks this coverage. RR needs to match someone if everyone is pattern matching with 2 deep shell.
Another way is how Fangio did it. Allow the first vertical that a LB sees coming to him to be passed off to safety. Then remain in zone to see if another threat comes.

Yeah it'd be nice to have a receiver like that. He's going to be a pain in the ass for years. Just like when Buffalo gave up Lynch for basically nothing
Originally posted by thl408:
wouldnt it help if DJ at least jammed Watkins a little??? I mean he's practically pressed
DJ was not aligned in a tight press at the snap and Watkins gave him a nice juke off the line. If DJ wanted to grab a bit after Watkins starts his route, that chance disappeared quick (TV view shows good slowmo).

from hindsight just looks like some disruption is very much needed because of his nice juke I guess
Combo coverage. Man free on the 2 receiver and cover 2 on the one receiver side. The safety shows and bails to deep half, the corner sinks in a possible trail on the divide. Ray has the stick zone. No deeper than the sticks and rally to any route underneath. He followed too far.....
[ Edited by suckafree17 on Sep 27, 2017 at 1:20 PM ]
Originally posted by PowderdToastMn:

Yeah it'd be nice to have a receiver like that. He's going to be a pain in the ass for years. Just like when Buffalo gave up Lynch for basically nothing

Yeah, that was the kind of receiver we needed to pair with Garcon...throw in Goodwin, Robinson, Kittle and Taylor = Good times.

• thl408
Defense had a lot of bad moments but wanted to show this play just to show what's in Saleh's playbook.
Daggers vs Tampa2
49ers show single high MOFC coverage

Rotate to Tampa2. Orange defeats the drag, blue defeats the Dig, black defeats the Post.

Forced a punt!

Yeah, I find that oddly suspicious. 62 cameras are used for the Supetbowl alone. This was a nationally televised Thursday night game and the All22 is set up in your own stadium for the coaches to use so call me skeptical that they couldn't find a single camera view on that one.

That is suspicious and did you guys read Perreia's comments on the call? I don't know if he meant to but he basically implied that as a ref he may have made that call because the WR runs back to the huddle without complaining but the DB complain so he would've assumed the WR is guilty. How does that make any sense? It is supposed to be the opposite. The person that complains is supposed to get ignored or penalized and the guy that plays on is supposed to be the one handling it correctly - rules even say that the ref should throw a flag for constant complaining...
Originally posted by suckafree17:
Combo coverage. Man free on the 2 receiver and cover 2 on the one receiver side. The safety shows and bails to deep half, the corner sinks in a possible trail on the divide. Ray has the stick zone. No deeper than the sticks and rally to any route underneath. He followed too far.....

The pre-snap alignment though shows the 2 receiver side in zone. Johnson is faced inwards flat footed in a zone stance. It looks like a cover 2 matching where the weakside LB will match vertical crossers. The way bow drives on the underneath crosser is a matching all the way and how the vertical 2 receivers turn in to man coverage. Once those guys release vertical, it will look like combo coverage because they're now in a man. I think it's a mix of great playcalling at the perfect time and design and Ray Ray trailed too deep. He should look to squeeze the throwing lane, not totally defend the deep crossing route.
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by suckafree17:

The pre-snap alignment though shows the 2 receiver side in zone. Johnson is faced inwards flat footed in a zone stance. It looks like a cover 2 matching where the weakside LB will match vertical crossers. The way bow drives on the underneath crosser is a matching all the way and how the vertical 2 receivers turn in to man coverage. Once those guys release vertical, it will look like combo coverage because they're now in a man. I think it's a mix of great playcalling at the perfect time and design and Ray Ray trailed too deep. He should look to squeeze the throwing lane, not totally defend the deep crossing route.
That safety in the middle of the field is what throws me off. What suckafree said makes sense but what RayRay is doing is matching the route. He turns and runs with it. He's not just zone dropping.
Originally posted by gored49:

That is suspicious and did you guys read Perreia's comments on the call? I don't know if he meant to but he basically implied that as a ref he may have made that call because the WR runs back to the huddle without complaining but the DB complain so he would've assumed the WR is guilty. How does that make any sense? It is supposed to be the opposite. The person that complains is supposed to get ignored or penalized and the guy that plays on is supposed to be the one handling it correctly - rules even say that the ref should throw a flag for constant complaining...

I appreciate him taking the time to address it but he was flip-flopping badly on that one and just derailed it by flooding the point by covering a number of topics that had nothing to do with play itself.
Share 49ersWebzone