There are 98 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online ?
Lol


[ Edited by Heroism on Sep 22, 2017 at 3:40 PM ]
Cover 3?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 16,287
Originally posted by Heroism:
I figured I'd post this here since the other vs Rams threads are full of people complaining.

Like Kyle, McVay uses a ton of window dressing. It felt like every other play had some kind of deceiving component built in. A lot of ghost motion, jet motion, etc.


Kyle's offense is a good system. It's won a lot of games (Atlanta being the latest example). But it has it's foundations on the run game. Without the run game, everything else kinda falls apart, even though it's a pass first offense. I think Hyde, Breida and Williams will be locks as the RB's for next year (I hope) because this offense needs that vertical Brent Jones tight end to make this offense unstoppable. If we have that TE that can both block and also catch passes - all that window dressing becomes much more potent and that much more difficult to diagnose.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Heroism:
I figured I'd post this here since the other vs Rams threads are full of people complaining.

Like Kyle, McVay uses a ton of window dressing. It felt like every other play had some kind of deceiving component built in. A lot of ghost motion, jet motion, etc.


Kyle's offense is a good system. It's won a lot of games (Atlanta being the latest example). But it has it's foundations on the run game. Without the run game, everything else kinda falls apart, even though it's a pass first offense. I think Hyde, Breida and Williams will be locks as the RB's for next year (I hope) because this offense needs that vertical Brent Jones tight end to make this offense unstoppable. If we have that TE that can both block and also catch passes - all that window dressing becomes much more potent and that much more difficult to diagnose.

Although he is really raw, I think Kittle is that guy. He's going to get better as the season goes on. I think it's going to be the last four to six weeks of the season before we really see the offense starting to click.


Hello all you great faithful niner fans! Glad to see y'all are still interested in football unlike a number of my facebook friends . But that's a discussion for the parking lot. Anyhoo, gone is another week of football, but never fear, back is another week of coaches film analysis. This past week featured an exciting game with lots of points, face palms, coaches challenges and lack of defense. I can't remember a niner game I've seen where both teams combined for 80 points. It was a strange game in which we won on offense - had a draw on special teams, maybe (we did have a forced fumble on a kickoff and converted an onside kick, but did miss an extra point which was the deciding factor in the game - how many of you were PISSED that the NFL has changed that rule? I am.....it's worked for decades, why change it now? Stupid IMO but that's a discussion for another thread).

Enough of the chit chat, Chet, on to the analysis.

Overall - We played like a young team that still has some big holes to fill and those holes were exploited over and over again. It was nice to see some of our WR's actually catch the ball on some tough plays this week. I also thought Hoyer played a pretty darn good game after his first throw. There were a few plays where he stood in there and delivered the ball with a defender bearing down on him. Overall, I thought he made good choices - again, aside from the first throw. There were a number of times when he got sacked where you have to chalk it up to the defense playing really well. I counted 3 coverage sacks on him in the game and another on our 4th and a dream play. So, overall, I can't blame him nor the offensive line for this in any way. When they hold up well enough all game long against a team with the likes of Aaron Donald, Quinn and Barwin - that's not a bad day at the office.

OL - again, I'll reiterate, I thought they played well enough to win the game. If not for a missed extra point we would have put up 41 points in the game and only given up 3 sacks which I saw as coverage sacks. That's not bad at all. They also did well enough in the run game to chalk up a good amount of yardage. Actually, if you remove the last play of the game where Gurley broke off a 25 yard run with 53 seconds left, our run game averaged more YPC than theirs did.

Defense - Well.....where to begin.....

Coaching - I will say this, Saleh is a rookie D-coord and McVay is one of the bright young minds in the game. I though Shanny outmaneuvered Wade Phillips most of the game and McVay also outmaneuvered Saleh a few times. However, some of the biggest plays of the game came down to simple execution errors - busted coverages.

DB's - Again, I thought Robinson played better than the perception. There were a couple plays where it was just great playmaking by the other team. He gave up a few catches, but so is every CB. He continues to show promise but isn't there yet. D. Johnson struggled in this game IMO. He allowed himself to get stacked by the WR too many times and seems a little slow on route recognition. The biggest weakness though, was K'Waun Williams. He played a terrible game. Though, not once, but twice Sammy Watkins ran the same route against him that Trent Taylor got flagged for PI and Watkins manhandled Williams at the same break in the route and was never called for PI - smells like a marina.....fishy.... However, Williams struggled in every aspect of the game. They picked on him in coverage and in the run game. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets sat down next game to try someone else.

LB's - Bow took a lot of heat this week, especially after Grant Cohn's article about his "6 missed tackles". However, much like anything GC puts out, it was rubbish. I counted 2 missed tackles. The other 4 were timely screen grabs that made it look like a missed tackle when in fact, if he'd had made those tackles he'd have some explaining to do by peeing in a cup......

Ray Ray struggled again. He's just undisciplined. I'm seeing the same aggressive mistakes that I've seen with him from the beginning. Considering he's our 3rd string guy, though, that's to be expected. He's not going to be all-world.

DL - They held up alright against the run. I'd like to see better edge containment and leverage on their double teams inside though. We all know they struggled in pass pro. We got pressure early on but couldn't take advantage of it. Either by poor coverage or missed tackles on a non-mobile QB. Once we got in the second half, most of the time, the Rams kept 6 in to block as they knew where they could pick on us in coverage and we couldn't win the 1v1's we had.

Anyhoo, enough of the on to some breakdowns!
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 19,979
Nice jd. I'm not going to comment on all that right now but had to mention how Watkins pushed off KWilliams on an Out route in the same way TTaylor did - no flag. And it was a key 3rd down conversion.
Where is the infamous zapruder OPI film
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Where is the infamous zapruder OPI film

Doesn't exist. The shot we need isn't on screen.
Nice breakdowns as always. Have you noticed that Williams has played poorly in all 3 games?
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Where is the infamous zapruder OPI film

Doesn't exist. The shot we need isn't on screen.
back and to the left

Originally posted by thl408:
Nice jd. I'm not going to comment on all that right now but had to mention how Watkins pushed off KWilliams on an Out route in the same way TTaylor did - no flag. And it was a key 3rd down conversion.
That was my first breakdown!!! Here it is!



This was a key 3rd down as the game was 34-27 at this time. 3rd and 4 and LA is going to run 2 concepts against us. Drive on the single receiver side and an "Ohio" on the 2 receiver side with Watkins inside. We're going to switch up from our cover 3 zone and run a cover 1 "lurk". It's not the same as a cover 1 "hole" as a "lurk" will follow the QB's eyes and a "hole" will sit in the middle of the field always.



We do a good job against the "drive" concept. Robinson blankets his guy across the field and Tartt is in a trail technique for his guy knowing he'll have inside help. Ray Ray is waiting on the RB leaking out of the backfield and Bow is following the QB's eyes. Here's where it's a boo boo. Watkins engages in some serious contact with Williams at the top of the route and Williams gives up outside leverage.



The contact is what makes this play, without it, Williams can play with outside leverage and he's got two help defenders on the inside. Instead, it's a simple pitch and catch.


+15 on 3rd and 4 and the Rams go on to score on this drive....

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Nice breakdowns as always. Have you noticed that Williams has played poorly in all 3 games?

I thought he wasn't playing particularly well, but it wasn't as glaring as he wasn't getting picked on by Sammy Watkins.
Jonneydel, look forward to this forum every week.
While I don't have the football terminology and knowledge that you and thl408, ncommand, and a few others have, I have watched football for over 50 years and
am glad to know that what I think I see is confirmed in detail and that at times I am mistaken. I thought Bow missed more tackles as an example.
There is so much negativity in general on the zone that sometimes I doubt my own sanity.
Keep up the good work and thanks.
Originally posted by jonnydel:

LB's - Bow took a lot of heat this week, especially after Grant Cohn's article about his "6 missed tackles". However, much like anything GC puts out, it was rubbish. I counted 2 missed tackles. The other 4 were timely screen grabs that made it look like a missed tackle when in fact, if he'd had made those tackles he'd have some explaining to do by peeing in a cup......




No! Grant Cohn is utterly clueless about football? Say it ain't so!
How is there no shot of the OPI? Refs should be forced to wear bodycams, so that any calls can be seen from their PoV.
Share 49erswebzone