There are 281 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Hey Johnny when you do your breakdowns could you put the numbers by the names so I can figure out who is who?Thanks I appreciate it, most helpful to me.

I will see what I can do! My next one is already done and uploading to the photo sharing site so I'll try and do it from here on.
THL what changed when Seattle made their only touchdown of the game? The defense up until that point had stopped Wilson from running crazy. On that drive those dudes were just crashing down and giving him running lanes like they didn't know what was coming.
Originally posted by thl408:
I think this is what was supposed to happen on that 4th & 1 (scrape exchange with Solly and RayRay). DE crashes down to force the QB keeper, have a LB waiting for the QB on the edge.
Finally. Thanks!
jd, if you want to post GIFs, try using this link to create them:
https://image.online-convert.com/convert-to-gif

Use MediaFire to post the gifs. You'll have to find your own way to screen capture though. I use SnagIt.

can I ask what you use for capturing? I've tried VLC and the hard part is that it captures in a format that I'd have to edit before uploading to make a gif and it's really time consuming
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:
can I ask what you use for capturing? I've tried VLC and the hard part is that it captures in a format that I'd have to edit before uploading to make a gif and it's really time consuming

I use Snag It.
https://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.html

There's a free trial then you can purchase it. I use it for other things besides football cutups so it was worth it for me. I just checked and apparently it allows for one purchase to be shared on multiple computers. Let me look into it and maybe I'll just give you my license key. For now, check out the free trial.
Here's another crucial breakdown on the drive. It all but guarantees Seattle a FG. It's a weird play.

Here, Seattle is going to run 11 personnel. They're going to run a switch verticals concept to the bottom and show the same to the top but break it off to an in route and a comeback on the outside route. We're going to run cover 1 "lurk".

At the snap, note that Jimmy Graham chips Armstead. that prevents him from getting a good rush off the snap.

The backend does a good job in coverage. You have Robinson and K'Waun Williams on the bottom and they handle the switch well without running into one another. On the other side you see tartt is in position to drive on the in route and Ray Ray is in good coverage on the vertical route.

This is where it gets weird. After Graham chipped Armstead, his reaction was to bear hug Graham....I mean, I know sometimes they want you to hit the TE so he doesn't have a free release, but this is weird.....

Graham doesn't appreciate the move and tussles with Armstead who loses his balance and falls to the ground.

Not only does he fall, but he takes out another D-lineman with him..... Now, this whole thing is full of weirdness and fail. First, he should be focused on rushing the QB, not bear hugging a TE. Second, he shouldn't bear hug him this long, forget to keep contain on a mobile QB and then knock down another D-lineman who's pursuing the QB.... Though, all that shouldn't have to be said.

Here's why this hurts. You see Williams had great coverage on his man when Wilson starts to escape. If he's just kept in the pocket the other guys would've gotten there and you either have a sack or throw away on the 30 yard line. A 47 yard FG in the rain is no gimmie - just look at the XP they missed.

Because Williams is in over-the-top coverage(which he should be with safety help rotated over to the other side of the field) and the pass rush failing to get there, Lockette is able to break his route off without Williams knowing. This results in a 22 yard gain and sets up 1st and goal.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by northoakland510:
Man was waiting for this thread to start.

This is the best thread in all of the 49er nation. I doubt if any other website has this detailed analysis and commentary. Kudos to Mr. Del and Thl.

• thl408
THL what changed when Seattle made their only touchdown of the game? The defense up until that point had stopped Wilson from running crazy. On that drive those dudes were just crashing down and giving him running lanes like they didn't know what was coming.
I'll check it out tonight. That drive was frustrating as hell. I know that in Fangio's defense, he never allowed the pass rusher over the Right Tackle to get too far upfield against WIlson. Maintain discipline because Wilson rolling out to his right is deadly. Watch how Brooks doesn't even try to get past the RT, just stay in position to prevent RW from rolling right. When RW tries to roll right, he's impeded, and Aldon gets home.
Can we have a breakdown of the holding on the Wilson TD pass?

Asking for a friend...

I'll check it out tonight. That drive was frustrating as hell. I know that in Fangio's defense, he never allowed the pass rusher over the Right Tackle to get too far upfield against WIlson. Maintain discipline because Wilson rolling out to his right is deadly. Watch how Brooks doesn't even try to get past the RT, just stay in position to prevent RW from rolling right. When RW tries to roll right, he's impeded, and Aldon gets home.

From what I remember on the TD pass play, we had two defenders collide in the pocket and help RW to escape.
[ Edited by a49erfan77 on Sep 19, 2017 at 2:00 PM ]

So, here's our first 3rd down of the game. It's 3rd and 8 but we had a chance, we just didn't take advantage.

We're going to motion Kittle across the formation and then run a levels/dagger concept. Trent Taylor will be the underneath route. Basically, while this is a concept it's pretty much a designed play to Taylor. They're looking to use Kittle to clear out the hook/curl zone and open up space for Taylor underneath.

After motioning Kittle across you see Seattle is in a zone look, but it's the corners reveal it's man-coverage with a lurk.

Kittle does a good job picking off Taylor's man and clearing the space. Hoyer should be letting it rip right here. He's a little late with the ball.

Even with the ball a little late, Taylor needs to stick his foot in the ground and head up field. This isn't college anymore, you're not going to dance around these guys. Get up field, son. Instead, he tries to juke Wagner.

Instead of sticking his foot and trying to drive for a 1st, he dances around and gives the D time to close.

He's stopped 2 yards short. Hoyer needs to get the ball out just a fraction sooner and Taylor needs to not dance around, put that foot in the ground and get vertical, kid! He's young and hopefully will learn.
Yea, but what's funny is I knew we would lose like that. I just knew Wilson had one of those drives in him. After he broke for his first run I thought the d linemen would smarten up a little bit. They didn't just kept rushing with no real purpose.
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
From what I remember on the TD pass play, we had two defenders collide in the pocket and help RW to escape.

Man seeing that occur made my heart drop. That whole drive had that affect, they lost all discipline on that drive.
Here's a play to highlight the D-line play. Thl - if you would be so kind as to provide a GIF, I'll have to look into it tomorrow when I have more time, I'm just trying to get some stuff up tonight before I run out of time. This is 13:31 in the 2nd QTR.

Here, Seattle is going to run a simpel HB Smash play. It's an inside zone with a lead blocker(FB). What's interesting to note is that we don't even have Buck or Armstead in on this play. Seattle is backed up. We have Tank, DJ Jones, Mitchell and Thomas in.

At the snap you see the LG and LT try and double up Jones and move to the 2nd level. Jones does a great job taking on the double team and both Mitchell and Thomas stand their guys up - that's great line play technique.

Thomas is really impressive here. You can see on plays like this why he went 3rd overall. He bench presses his guy up, then, see's the lead blocker coming, disengages one arm and takes on the FB as well while still keeping the RG engaged. You see how Bow and Coyle are free to roam and fill the only 2 holes.

At this point, Bow has cleaned up plugging the hole and the RB has to cut back. The moment he see's this, Mitchell disengages his guy(literally throws him off) and is right there to make the tackle.

That's a great job by our d-line all up and down the line!!
Originally posted by a49erfan77:

Man seeing that occur made my heart drop. That whole drive had that affect, they lost all discipline on that drive.

Break downs tend to happen when you're on the field 85% of the game.
Share 49ersWebzone