LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

OL Laken Tomlinson, signs with NYJ

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Things that make you go "HMMMMMM."

This could mean a lot of things. Could mean they are recognizing that Tomlinson is just not that good. It could mean that McKivitz is really good and they expect him to be ready soon. Could mean we just need to make a little room for another addition. Or all of the above.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

This could mean a lot of things. Could mean they are recognizing that Tomlinson is just not that good. It could mean that McKivitz is really good and they expect him to be ready soon. Could mean we just need to make a little room for another addition. Or all of the above.

If anything it's the opposite of that. Laken had next to nothing in GTD cash in his final yr in 2021. They pushed more GTD cash into 2021 which freed up money this yr....more often then not when you restructure a contract it means they're okay with having him on the team longer.

Just moving money around and guaranteeing more $ down the road. He didn't take a pay cut.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Lake is a god teammate and willing to do things like this to help out. It's too bad he's just B-/C+ talent level.

he's a starting LG on most teams in the NFL right now. He's not a super star, but he's reliable and is far from bad
  • thl408

If anything it's the opposite of that. Laken had next to nothing in GTD cash in his final yr in 2021. They pushed more GTD cash into 2021 which freed up money this yr....more often then not when you restructure a contract it means they're okay with having him on the team longer.

Just moving money around and guaranteeing more $ down the road. He didn't take a pay cut.

Yeah players restructure to help the team get cap relief in exchange for being more difficult to cut (more guaranteed $). That's the incentive for the player to restructure. Tomlinson a much better choice to restructure than Kwon, Richburg, Ford. My goodness, if you asked me which players should not be restructured, I would have said Kwon, Richburg, Ford.
Originally posted by thl408:

Yeah players restructure to help the team get cap relief in exchange for being more difficult to cut (more guaranteed $). That's the incentive for the player to restructure. Tomlinson a much better choice to restructure than Kwon, Richburg, Ford. My goodness, if you asked me which players should not be restructured, I would have said Kwon, Richburg, Ford.

I was more focused on the "voidable years" aspect.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Why are we trying to save money 2 weeks before the trade deadline?
[ Edited by Chief on Oct 21, 2020 at 8:52 AM ]
Originally posted by Chief:
so we can roll it over for next years drop in the Salary cap
This is puzzling. I can't say I'm on board with consistently restructuring the contracts of mediocre and/or oft-injured players. I'd much rather bite the bullet now with respect to the cap.

If I were a gambling man, I'd say the team is kicking the can down the road with two big assumptions in mind: 1) the team needs to free up cash now because the cap is going to shrink after this season and we have plenty of UDFAs to resign, and 2) the cap will go up dramatically again after 2021, which will make all of these restructuring moves seem more palatable.

There aren't really voidable yrs, he's got one yr left on his deal...he didn't sign a extension.

It's similar to AA's contract he's got a 2025 $1.5M cap hit but in reality it voids on feb 13th it's a "ghost yr"
Tomlinson has had some very good moments as a G in this scheme and also some not-so-great moments. Hoping with him continuing to work next to Williams that the left side of the line will be firing very well before long. One thing you can definitely say about Tomlinson: the guy has been extremely durable.

Originally posted by Chief:

According to the NFLPA cap report the 49ers only have $31K in cap room right now, so that's likely why they did this, idk what has taken up so much cap room since week 1 when they had near $10M in cap room, likely grievances that have been settled.

There aren't really voidable yrs, he's got one yr left on his deal...he didn't sign a extension.

It's similar to AA's contract he's got a 2025 $1.5M cap hit but in reality it voids on feb 13th it's a "ghost yr"

Chalk that up to my misunderstanding in this area. I thought they were doing like what they did with McKinnon and voided out his contract after this season.

Chalk that up to my misunderstanding in this area. I thought they were doing like what they did with McKinnon and voided out his contract after this season.

What they did was what they did with Kwon and Richburg, they added enough voidable years to maximize cap savings, like with Kwon & Richburg, Laken's deal still ends after it's original year it was slated to before the restructuring, 2022 for Kwon and Richburg, 2021 for Laken. Only issue is the dead money left behind in 2022 from Laken, it's $1.5M, if he's cut in 2021, they go from savings $5M, to $3,994,470, with $2,590,706 in dead money now compared to $1.25M before the restructure. But as I noted, the NFLPA sheet has them at $31K under, so they needed room for just under $1M in per game roster bonus pay backs to 6 players.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

What they did was what they did with Kwon and Richburg, they added enough voidable years to maximize cap savings, like with Kwon & Richburg, Laken's deal still ends after it's original year it was slated to before the restructuring, 2022 for Kwon and Richburg, 2021 for Laken. Only issue is the dead money left behind in 2022 from Laken, it's $1.5M, if he's cut in 2021, they go from savings $5M, to $3,994,470, with $2,590,706 in dead money now compared to $1.25M before the restructure. But as I noted, the NFLPA sheet has them at $31K under, so they needed room for just under $1M in per game roster bonus pay backs to 6 players.

So we have no room to add anyone unless they're cheaper than a player we trade.
So we have no room to add anyone unless they're cheaper than a player we trade.

According to OTC it's $5.3M, AB knows his s**t so unfortunately id go with AB and that we basically have nothing
Share 49ersWebzone