LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

Injuries - 9-Year Analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
you confused me. you said "correct" to #1 being the MOST injured. not the most healthy.

My apologies, DX.

Apology accepted, NC.

...24 hours, the new era begins; hope we can stay healthy this year so we can finally properly evaluate the talent
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Baalke drafting damaged goods had a lot to do with it.

Yeah, having a couple players each year start the year on I.R. and not designated to return and miss all 16 games adds to this.

But far more to the other 22+17+21 players put on I.R. who were not ACL's.

We also got a lot of projects like ellington who was a recently converted basketball player. Same with AA, hayne and some others. Those guys probably aren't used to the violence of the game and sustain injuries easily. Also having a bunch of knuckleheads like aldon who didn't take care of themselves of the field contributed.

That's a great theory too!

Also, the first move of the ShanaLynch era was firing the entire training staff and hiring Ray Wright and his staff. That dude has been mentioned in just about every player interview. Clearly, this huge issue was recognized early and addressed. I hope it makes a difference...Ray Wright has a huge task ahead of him and could be a huge unsung hero...or not.

True. Lynch has torn down the house which I like. But thats the easy part. Lets hope he can rebuild it properly.

Lynch has my full attention.

He cut Zuttah with the quickness because he wasn't going to help the team. Bang, cut. Move on to someone else.

Trent would have kept a guy like Zuttah just because he traded for him.

I'm wondering if Chip Kelly's offense had something to do with the injuries. When players are fatigued - usually that's when injuries happen too.

That is a really good point Giedi...that has been proven many times over.

Yep, and also it helps if you have a competent QB and coach. I mean how many times have you seen the previous regime call a draw play right into the teeth of a blitz, or because the QB could not complete a 5 yard pass, they now have to call a run right into an 8 man front. I don't ever remember Walsh's team being injury riddled like the last couple of years have been. I think all of the above (age, bad trainers, bad conditioning, bad coaching etc...) have caused these injuries. Most, if not all, super bowl teams are relatively free during their super bowl run, so the article points out a real factor in winning - and that's lack of injuries. I think a pass first philosophy will go a long way to reducing injuries, I mean receivers are protected by the rules, QB's are protected from most, if not all heat shot hits, and most runs that counter a pass defense are (I think) less dangerous (draws, swing passes, and screens for example) than a power run left or a counter trey right.

Well, Giedi, let's not forget and give a big hand to the owners who provided such a sterling group of forgettable coaches. They deserve full credit.

But let me also give credit where credit is due to that same group of owners, who finally did the right thing and put football decisions back in the hands of real football people...just wish they hadn't waited so long.
Injuries...this is the one we don't want to hear about tonite or tomorrow either. We just want to play well and not get hurt.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Well, Giedi, let's not forget and give a big hand to the owners who provided such a sterling group of forgettable coaches. They deserve full credit.

But let me also give credit where credit is due to that same group of owners, who finally did the right thing and put football decisions back in the hands of real football people...just wish they hadn't waited so long.

I agree totally with you Doc. Ownership is a big deal, definitely. Looking back in hindsight as to how Baalke sabotaged the team with leaks, I think Jed was more naïve than stupid in letting Harbaugh go. I initially thought it was a stupid move on Jed's part, but with the stories of Harbaugh's lack of interpersonal skills (specially with ownership), a young impressionable owner, and a back stabbing GM, I can see how he was duped by the Baalkester the Backstabber into letting Harbaugh go. I think he learned his lesson in that he hired both the GM and the HC without the aid of anybody but his Uncle Ed, I think, and the structure is a head coach centered organization, just like the Old Walsh and Seifert days. I think Kyle and John aren't going to back stab each other, and if they are going down, they are going down together, or so that's how close their relationship seems to me.
[ Edited by Giedi on Aug 11, 2017 at 9:15 AM ]
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
"The San Francisco 49ers have had far too many injuries to key personnel this year.

Defensively, although the losses have been plenty, they have actually played well. The list of key players missing multiple games includes NaVorro Bowman, Patrick Willis, Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey, Jimmie Ward and Tramaine Brock.

In addition, Aldon Smith also missed nine games at the start of the season due to his suspension.

The problems have manifested themselves more on the offensive side of the ball. The 49ers have two offensive linemen, Anthony Davis and Daniel Kilgore, who have missed significant time.

Tight end Vance McDonald and receiver Bruce Ellington have also missed several games.

Unlike the stellar play of the defense, the offense has yet to find any real synergy. Injuries are a factor, although not the only factor."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2296050-what-went-wrong-for-the-san-francisco-49ers-in-the-2014-season

Straight disaster the past couple of years, don't forget Crabtree was recovering from surgery and Vernon Davis with his back injury.

P.s All hail king of the north!!
To the King of the North!!!!!!!!!
Chancellor James done...Buckner and Lynch limping and Ward didn't pass his test yesterday. Yay!
Chancellor James done...Buckner and Lynch limping and Ward didn't pass his test yesterday. Yay!

Im not crowning the injury bug just yet.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

fight...FIGHT DAMNIT
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

fight...FIGHT DAMNIT

I think the reason why we are being cautious Shanny knows wtf has happened around here. Smiths injury hopefully is a blessing for Frost/Ray-Ray.

James injury isnt a biggie but obviously was in contention to possibly make the roster. We do have Tartt there and Don Jones so i hope were able to claim him and as he recovers he can learn the system fully as well. Maybe they cross train Colbert to backup both sports with some reps to go around and they give Jones the boot.

I was told before dont sweat the small s**t, trying to stay grounded and humble
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Aug 14, 2017 at 7:12 PM ]
Originally posted by ltrain:

What is most telling is Seattle's ability to escape the injury bug the last 3 years by a significant margin. They're overdue for some injuries. Also, it doesn't help our cause when our GM was taking multiple risks every year in the draft. Hopefully that chapter is now closed.

Thanks for this awesome graph, so easy to read

I also like that some posters are acknowledging that Harbs last year was affected by injuries. Only took you guys 3 years to see the obvious
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
I also like that some posters are acknowledging that Harbs last year was affected by injuries. Only took you guys 3 years to see the obvious

Not me.

Sorry about the graph but I did give you instructions for how to download it and then zoom in to read it.

Not me.

Sorry about the graph but I did give you instructions for how to download it and then zoom in to read it.

I was just joking

Injuries are a huge factor, especially in a salary cap era
Since this weighs heavy into wins, I wouldn't even play the starters in preseason and would definitely give up a game or 2 in September for the starters to get back in it rather than the majority of the season. Never recalled starters playing much at all when Walsh was coach.
I was just joking

Injuries are a huge factor, especially in a salary cap era

Haha...it's all good!

But yeah, f**k injuries!
Share 49ersWebzone