There are 170 users in the forums

Injuries - 5-Year Analysis

Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by bdiddy1724:
Good news about the injuries so far is that no starters are expected to be out after the bye week. If we can go 2-1 in first 3 games we are in good shape.

When you are among the league's least healthy teams this is what now qualifies as "good news".

Our starters are only expected to miss 25% of the season! We did it!

At least it's not possible for players to get injured after the season starts, so we're almost in the clear.
[ Edited by KittleSkittle on Aug 19, 2019 at 1:39 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
If it makes you guys feel any better, Seattle's first three draft picks are falling apart: LJ Collier has a high-ankle sprain, DK Metcalf needs knee surgery and Marquise Blair was carted off the field last night.

You're gotdamn right it makes me feel better!
49ers hope painful summer isn't followed by another injury-marred season

Their top draft pick, pass rusher Nick Bosa, is sidelined with a severe ankle sprain.
Their top offseason acquisition, pass rusher Dee Ford, hasn't practiced since July 29 due to knee tendinitis.
Their top slot receiver, Trent Taylor, had foot surgery on the eve of the preseason opener.
Their top slot cornerback, K'Waun Williams, had arthroscopic knee surgery early in training camp.
And their top backup tackle, Shon Coleman, has been lost for the season with a broken leg and dislocated ankle.
This leads to a question: Will the 49ers top the significant amount of injuries they've had the previous two seasons?
General manager John Lynch was asked Saturday before the 49ers' joint practice with the Broncos if he was getting a here-we-go-again feeling.
"I don't think you can," Lynch said. "You've got to move on. I do know that we're doing a lot better. The soft-tissue (injuries) that plagued us in years past — those haven't happened. And sometimes we've held guys out because we want them healthy for Week 1."
The 49ers responded in the off-season to their rash of injuries from 2017-18 by overhauling their training staff and creating a position, head of player health and performance, to oversee their medical and training operations.
As Lynch noted, they've taken a more conservative approach with injuries this summer to ensure front-line players are as healthy as possible for the regular season.
Pro Bowl tight end George Kittle hasn't gone through a full practice since Aug. 8 due to "calf tightness," which the 49ers have said is a minor issue. In addition, Ford, another Pro Bowler, hasn't practiced since July 29 because of his knee tendinitis.
Lynch said it's not ideal to have Ford sidelined, but the decision was made "to get this thing right for the year so we can see him at full steam." Ford is expected to return to practice next week.
"We've been probably a little more cautious (with injuries) than in years past, and that probably leads people to believe that, 'Wow, this (injury) list is really long,'" Lynch said. "And sometimes freak things that happen in football, like Bosa getting fallen on …
"But I'm actually fairly positive about where we're going to be. And a large part of our approach has been, 'Let's peak at the right time. Let's have our guys ready for this regular season.'"
It's worth noting that players such as Bosa, Taylor and Williams aren't expected to miss many regular-season games, if they aren't ready for the season opener at Tampa Bay on Sept. 8.
However, given their recent injury history, the 49ers were second-guessed by many in March when they made two oft-injured defensive backs part of their 2019 plans.
They re-signed Jimmie Ward, who became the favorite to start at free safety despite finishing four of his first five seasons on injured reserve. In addition, they signed cornerback Jason Verrett, who was rehabbing from a torn Achilles and has played in just five of 48 games the past three seasons.
The early outlook on both moves? Not healthy
It doesn't seem to be too bad so far, I think a lot of it is over precaution, especially with that early bye.
What matters is being healthy towards the end of the season if you want a decent run in January.
I expect the team to be pushing for a wild card spot this season, so I think it's a good mindset to have from the coaches.

What are the Patriots like for sitting starters during TC and pre-season? They have a bit of a reputation for starting slow in Sept. and really, every other team should just copy their plan.

The only injury that concerns is Richburg, I had hoped he'd be practising by now.
Originally posted by NinerGM:

Their top draft pick, pass rusher Nick Bosa, is sidelined with a severe ankle sprain.
Their top offseason acquisition, pass rusher Dee Ford, hasn't practiced since July 29 due to knee tendinitis.
Their top slot receiver, Trent Taylor, had foot surgery on the eve of the preseason opener.
Their top slot cornerback, K'Waun Williams, had arthroscopic knee surgery early in training camp.
And their top backup tackle, Shon Coleman, has been lost for the season with a broken leg and dislocated ankle.
This leads to a question: Will the 49ers top the significant amount of injuries they've had the previous two seasons?
General manager John Lynch was asked Saturday before the 49ers' joint practice with the Broncos if he was getting a here-we-go-again feeling.
"I don't think you can," Lynch said. "You've got to move on. I do know that we're doing a lot better. The soft-tissue (injuries) that plagued us in years past — those haven't happened. And sometimes we've held guys out because we want them healthy for Week 1."
The 49ers responded in the off-season to their rash of injuries from 2017-18 by overhauling their training staff and creating a position, head of player health and performance, to oversee their medical and training operations.
As Lynch noted, they've taken a more conservative approach with injuries this summer to ensure front-line players are as healthy as possible for the regular season.
Pro Bowl tight end George Kittle hasn't gone through a full practice since Aug. 8 due to "calf tightness," which the 49ers have said is a minor issue. In addition, Ford, another Pro Bowler, hasn't practiced since July 29 because of his knee tendinitis.
Lynch said it's not ideal to have Ford sidelined, but the decision was made "to get this thing right for the year so we can see him at full steam." Ford is expected to return to practice next week.
"We've been probably a little more cautious (with injuries) than in years past, and that probably leads people to believe that, 'Wow, this (injury) list is really long,'" Lynch said. "And sometimes freak things that happen in football, like Bosa getting fallen on …
"But I'm actually fairly positive about where we're going to be. And a large part of our approach has been, 'Let's peak at the right time. Let's have our guys ready for this regular season.'"
It's worth noting that players such as Bosa, Taylor and Williams aren't expected to miss many regular-season games, if they aren't ready for the season opener at Tampa Bay on Sept. 8.
However, given their recent injury history, the 49ers were second-guessed by many in March when they made two oft-injured defensive backs part of their 2019 plans.
They re-signed Jimmie Ward, who became the favorite to start at free safety despite finishing four of his first five seasons on injured reserve. In addition, they signed cornerback Jason Verrett, who was rehabbing from a torn Achilles and has played in just five of 48 games the past three seasons.
The early outlook on both moves? Not healthy

It's funny to me the media is just catching up on this and only looks back 2 years. Try 5+ people. Epidemic.
Originally posted by WolfTotem:
It doesn't seem to be too bad so far, I think a lot of it is over precaution, especially with that early bye.
What matters is being healthy towards the end of the season if you want a decent run in January.
I expect the team to be pushing for a wild card spot this season, so I think it's a good mindset to have from the coaches.

What are the Patriots like for sitting starters during TC and pre-season? They have a bit of a reputation for starting slow in Sept. and really, every other team should just copy their plan.

The only injury that concerns is Richburg, I had hoped he'd be practising by now.

Good question on the Patriots. Looking at my chart in the original post, it looks like they've been middle of the pack for health. #14 on the aggregate average.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 22, 2019 at 4:27 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
If it makes you guys feel any better, Seattle's first three draft picks are falling apart: LJ Collier has a high-ankle sprain, DK Metcalf needs knee surgery and Marquise Blair was carted off the field last night.

Yikes.... Don't get me wrong, I don't like Seattle winning -- with the rivalry we have and all -- but I absolutely never wish injury on anyone or losses simply because of injury.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Yikes.... Don't get me wrong, I don't like Seattle winning -- with the rivalry we have and all -- but I absolutely never wish injury on anyone or losses simply because of injury.

Truth. It just made me feel better the 2nd healthiest team behind the Rams (#1) over the past 5 years is starting to know what it feels like from a 49ers fan perspective.
Brutal.

Maybe we should reset our expectations.

im not, not happy about it

Originally posted by ForeverYoung8:

im not, not happy about it

LOL

But I thought firing the training staff was gonna solve all the injury problems?!

Originally posted by captveg:

But I thought firing the training staff was gonna solve all the injury problems?!

• FL9er
  • Veteran
Brutal.

Maybe we should reset our expectations.

Injury AND ineffectiveness.
Originally posted by captveg:

Share 49erswebzone