There are 154 users in the forums

Injuries - 5-Year Analysis

Originally posted by Joecool:
Maybe it is because SEA hits harder.

Extreme violence!
Chancellor is the only dude on that team that lays the lumber. Sherman is a fkn p***y.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Baalke drafting damaged goods had a lot to do with it.

Yeah, having a couple players each year start the year on I.R. and not designated to return and miss all 16 games adds to this.

But far more to the other 22+17+21 players put on I.R. who were not ACL's.

We also got a lot of projects like ellington who was a recently converted basketball player. Same with AA, hayne and some others. Those guys probably aren't used to the violence of the game and sustain injuries easily. Also having a bunch of knuckleheads like aldon who didn't take care of themselves of the field contributed.

That's a great theory too!

Also, the first move of the ShanaLynch era was firing the entire training staff and hiring Ray Wright and his staff. That dude has been mentioned in just about every player interview. Clearly, this huge issue was recognized early and addressed. I hope it makes a difference...Ray Wright has a huge task ahead of him and could be a huge unsung hero...or not.

True. Lynch has torn down the house which I like. But thats the easy part. Lets hope he can rebuild it properly.

Lynch has my full attention.

He cut Zuttah with the quickness because he wasn't going to help the team. Bang, cut. Move on to someone else.

Trent would have kept a guy like Zuttah just because he traded for him.

I'm wondering if Chip Kelly's offense had something to do with the injuries. When players are fatigued - usually that's when injuries happen too.

That is a really good point Giedi...that has been proven many times over.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Chancellor is the only dude on that team that lays the lumber. Sherman is a fkn p***y.

#TruthBomb
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
"The San Francisco 49ers have had far too many injuries to key personnel this year.

Defensively, although the losses have been plenty, they have actually played well. The list of key players missing multiple games includes NaVorro Bowman, Patrick Willis, Ian Williams, Glenn Dorsey, Jimmie Ward and Tramaine Brock.

In addition, Aldon Smith also missed nine games at the start of the season due to his suspension.

The problems have manifested themselves more on the offensive side of the ball. The 49ers have two offensive linemen, Anthony Davis and Daniel Kilgore, who have missed significant time.

Tight end Vance McDonald and receiver Bruce Ellington have also missed several games.

Unlike the stellar play of the defense, the offense has yet to find any real synergy. Injuries are a factor, although not the only factor."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2296050-what-went-wrong-for-the-san-francisco-49ers-in-the-2014-season

Straight disaster the past couple of years, don't forget Crabtree was recovering from surgery and Vernon Davis with his back injury.

P.s All hail king of the north!!

I was thinking the same thing. Most of our injuries have been chronic repeat offenders.Ellington, Ward, Bowman, Kilgore and Willis to an extent plus Reid always seems to have something hindering him.
Is there a theory to as why some teams go unscathed? Lighter practices? Harder practices?
I assumed Chip's Club Med training camp was the reason for last years injury bug.
I would assume teams playing frequently on artificial turf would rank the highest or has it improved over the carpeted cement of the past?
What's the answer? Pure luck? Training properly? Jerry Rice's deep tissue massage parlor escapades?
If it is cyclical we have to be coming out of it soon.
Originally posted by Sourball:
I was thinking the same thing. Most of our injuries have been chronic repeat offenders.Ellington, Ward, Bowman, Kilgore and Willis to an extent plus Reid always seems to have something hindering him.
Is there a theory to as why some teams go unscathed? Lighter practices? Harder practices?
I assumed Chip's Club Med training camp was the reason for last years injury bug.
I would assume teams playing frequently on artificial turf would rank the highest or has it improved over the carpeted cement of the past?
What's the answer? Pure luck? Training properly? Jerry Rice's deep tissue massage parlor escapades?
If it is cyclical we have to be coming out of it soon.

Great questions...I'd love to hear others theories. We can throw the grass vs. turf out given 10 of the 12 most injured teams over the past 3 years were grass field teams...unless most of those injuries happened in away games on turf.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
I don't get it. 30th being almost the least injured team? #1 being the most injured throughout the years?

Correct...the lower the average rank over 3 years, the healthiest.


sooooo... the point is it's felt like we've been the most injury-plagued team when we really haven't?

No, we actually have been.

then why are we ranked that low?????
so what you're saying is when players get hurt a lot the team suffers. Woah broah
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
I don't get it. 30th being almost the least injured team? #1 being the most injured throughout the years?

Correct...the lower the average rank over 3 years, the healthiest.


sooooo... the point is it's felt like we've been the most injury-plagued team when we really haven't?

No, we actually have been.

then why are we ranked that low?????

So each year, teams are ranked 1-32 by FO. 1 being the most healthy, 32 being the least. Simply take a teams ranking total over 3 years and take the average...then stack them up in order against each other.

For instance, Seattle was the 7th healthiest, 3rd and 5th rank for an average of 5. By far, they were the healthiest team over that 3-year stretch. The next closest average rank was 8.3 . PED's clearly work!

This is all in the chart listed for you (far right).
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 10, 2017 at 3:45 PM ]
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
so what you're saying is when players get hurt a lot the team suffers. Woah broah

Right...haha...like when the team that wins the turnover battle typically wins the game. With each turnover, the greater the odds are against you winning.

Groundbreaking info, eh? Ha!

The difference is fans dismiss injuries as an equal measure because, "every team has injuries" And while this is true, clearly, it's not so equal, is it?

Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
I don't get it. 30th being almost the least injured team? #1 being the most injured throughout the years?

Correct...the lower the average rank over 3 years, the healthiest.


sooooo... the point is it's felt like we've been the most injury-plagued team when we really haven't?

No, we actually have been.

then why are we ranked that low?????

So each year, teams are ranked 1-32 by FO. 1 being the most healthy, 32 being the least. Simply take a teams ranking total over 3 years and take the average...then stack them up in order against each other.

For instance, Seattle was the 7th healthiest, 3rd and 5th rank for an average of 5. By far, they were the healthiest team over that 3-year stretch. The next closest average rank was 8.3 . PED's clearly work!

This is all in the chart listed for you (far right).

you confused me. you said "correct" to #1 being the MOST injured. not the most healthy.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
you confused me. you said "correct" to #1 being the MOST injured. not the most healthy.

My apologies, DX.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 13,594
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Baalke drafting damaged goods had a lot to do with it.

Yeah, having a couple players each year start the year on I.R. and not designated to return and miss all 16 games adds to this.

But far more to the other 22+17+21 players put on I.R. who were not ACL's.

We also got a lot of projects like ellington who was a recently converted basketball player. Same with AA, hayne and some others. Those guys probably aren't used to the violence of the game and sustain injuries easily. Also having a bunch of knuckleheads like aldon who didn't take care of themselves of the field contributed.

That's a great theory too!

Also, the first move of the ShanaLynch era was firing the entire training staff and hiring Ray Wright and his staff. That dude has been mentioned in just about every player interview. Clearly, this huge issue was recognized early and addressed. I hope it makes a difference...Ray Wright has a huge task ahead of him and could be a huge unsung hero...or not.

True. Lynch has torn down the house which I like. But thats the easy part. Lets hope he can rebuild it properly.

Lynch has my full attention.

He cut Zuttah with the quickness because he wasn't going to help the team. Bang, cut. Move on to someone else.

Trent would have kept a guy like Zuttah just because he traded for him.

I'm wondering if Chip Kelly's offense had something to do with the injuries. When players are fatigued - usually that's when injuries happen too.

That is a really good point Giedi...that has been proven many times over.

Yep, and also it helps if you have a competent QB and coach. I mean how many times have you seen the previous regime call a draw play right into the teeth of a blitz, or because the QB could not complete a 5 yard pass, they now have to call a run right into an 8 man front. <shrug> I don't ever remember Walsh's team being injury riddled like the last couple of years have been. I think all of the above (age, bad trainers, bad conditioning, bad coaching etc...) have caused these injuries. Most, if not all, super bowl teams are relatively free during their super bowl run, so the article points out a real factor in winning - and that's lack of injuries. I think a pass first philosophy will go a long way to reducing injuries, I mean receivers are protected by the rules, QB's are protected from most, if not all heat shot hits, and most runs that counter a pass defense are (I think) less dangerous (draws, swing passes, and screens for example) than a power run left or a counter trey right.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Yep, and also it helps if you have a competent QB and coach. I mean how many times have you seen the previous regime call a draw play right into the teeth of a blitz, or because the QB could not complete a 5 yard pass, they now have to call a run right into an 8 man front. I don't ever remember Walsh's team being injury riddled like the last couple of years have been. I think all of the above (age, bad trainers, bad conditioning, bad coaching etc...) have caused these injuries. Most, if not all, super bowl teams are relatively free during their super bowl run, so the article points out a real factor in winning - and that's lack of injuries. I think a pass first philosophy will go a long way to reducing injuries, I mean receivers are protected by the rules, QB's are protected from most, if not all heat shot hits, and most runs that counter a pass defense are (I think) less dangerous (draws, swing passes, and screens for example) than a power run left or a counter trey right.

I like the way you think!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
you confused me. you said "correct" to #1 being the MOST injured. not the most healthy.

My apologies, DX.

Apology accepted, NC.
Share 49erswebzone