There are 295 users in the forums

49ers - Beat Writer's Training Camp

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Originally posted by vermonator:

The young and once promising Grant Cohn however, continues to disappoint. He has the pedigree, but his immaturity and lack of vision have hindered his development. The sudden release of long time veteran reporter, Tim Kawakami shows that this fan base has zero tolerance for that type of obsolete, doom and gloom reporting. The younger Cohn needs to take off the diapers and change his viewpoints; otherwise he may find himself on the outside looking in.
Oh don't forget the greatest football journalist known to mankind in the history of the world, the beady-eyed weasel Grant Cohn.

I got you covered bro ^
[ Edited by vermonator on Jul 30, 2017 at 8:14 PM ]
I like Mindy Bach, she's always prepared. I don't want to say that reporters name but you all know who he is. If I see the byline Press Democrat I ignore it. Why doesn't the WebZone ban his nonsense and help catapult him into a different profession.
After reading most of yesterdays articles, no one really seemed to stand out until I got to Grant's. Grant started out strong, confident, his grammar was perfect and his format was clean and easy to follow, but then it happened... I'm not sure if Grant is getting bad advise or just doesn't get it, but his opinions are juvenile at best. Here's the comment for which I speak...

"After this catch, I thought, "Gee, Reaser is terrible. He probably shouldn't be starting." Until a few minutes later, when I saw…

CB Dontae Johnson. The cornerback who would replace Reaser gave up back-back-to-back catches to Marquise Goodwin. Both times, Goodwin beat Johnson easily. After the second time Johnson got beat, I thought, "Gee, Johnson might be even worse than Reaser." Which is rough, because one of those two will have to start this season.

(Note how Grant's grammar starts to deteriorate as he gets more personal^)

Reaser and Johnson may have looked terrible, but it was just the first day of padded practices...
Other writers saw the same things as Grant, but were not so harsh with their words, most wrote that the whole secondary had a hard time. Grant thought it more proper to single out two players instead. This is an ongoing tendency of Grant's, his lack of vision prevents him from seeing the big picture. He seems so desperate to prove his football vernacular that I think he misses the point he's trying to make. Or I'm just over analyzing the fact that he's simply a jerk.

"Gee he's terrible"... Well, why is he terrible, did the coach try something new he hadn't seen, is he working on something that is new to him, is he wearing the wrong size cleats, what exactly? "Gee, he's terrible" is not good reporting, it's quite frankly... terrible reporting.

Not trying to pick on Grant, nor do I have any agenda of calling him out, but come on... In college, my English professor always stressed, when ever giving a critique, start with something positive. Apparently, Grant disagrees with my professor.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
we need vrabbit back. Histh insthight wasth topth.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
All the negative guys are hacks and the positive guys are legit reporters.

To be honest, I think this is a big reason why people hate Cohn. But then they will cover it up by saying, "Well he doesn't have any football knowledge. No knowledge of the scheme and assignments".

Look, I'm not going to come up here and defend the guy, but what knowledge of the scheme do you really need when describing guys getting beat on man coverage? Or getting beat on 1v1 drills between lineman? Not much. The other beat guys just don't dwell on the negatives at all.

For example, his recent take on Joshua Garnett looking like he didn't even want to try blocking Buckner does seem concerning for a guy in his 2nd year looking to take the next step. You don't see the other beat guys reporting things like that.

It's been well documented that we're probably going to struggle at CB2, and the offensive line.
[ Edited by Ensatsu on Jul 31, 2017 at 9:37 AM ]
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
All the negative guys are hacks and the positive guys are legit reporters.

To be honest, I think this is a big reason why people hate Cohn. But then they will cover it up by saying, "Well he doesn't have any football knowledge. No knowledge of the scheme and assignments".

Look, I'm not going to come up here and defend the guy, but what knowledge of the scheme do you really need when describing guys getting beat on man coverage? Or getting beat on 1v1 drills between lineman? Not much. The other beat guys just don't dwell on the negatives at all.

For example, his recent take on Joshua Garnett looking like he didn't even want to try blocking Buckner does seem concerning for a guy in his 2nd year looking to take the next step. You don't see the other beat guys reporting things like that.

It's been well documented that we're probably going to struggle at CB2, and the offensive line.

Yeah, if you go into Cohn knowing he's going to cover a controversial topic and will say something adolescent to get a reaction/clicks/debate, you can quickly ignore and get some details the others don't usually cover...which are important.

If you read any of the 12 articles on the homepage from yesterday, they are virtually, identical, just organized in a different manner to appear fresh.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 31, 2017 at 10:14 AM ]

On a side note, I thought Kyle brought up an important part about 1on1's esp. for the defense. He said, the defense is playing with a clock knowing they only need to cover for a short period but in these drills, they let the offense go, even with a sack. In most of these cases, the CBs will have help and may only need to cover for a coupe seconds before passing off. These drills are more for the offense and timing. You'll also see the CBs let up at the end which is why you're seeing all these 40, 50 and 60 yard TDs.

I like hearing about "Garnett looking like he didn't even want to try blocking Buckner" and all that, but I don't need the "he, he, he" kind of stuff at the end. And I do agree with you that the average fan doesn't need to know all the details, but there was more to it then just two DBs getting beat...

NCommand noted earlier that "Kyle said, the defense is playing with a clock knowing they only need to cover for a short period but in these drills, they let the offense go, even with a sack. In most of these cases, the CBs will have help and may only need to cover for a coupe seconds before passing off".

That kind of changes things up for me. As a reader, now I know why Johnson and Reaser looked "terrible".
Grant saying they ARE terrible, rather than they looked terrible is misleading.

I don't want to spend too much time on one reporter, so I'll move on, just wanted to share my thoughts on the matter is all.

Feel free to reply or share thoughts on other beat reporters, I want to be fair and balanced.
Kudos to ESPN staff writer, Nick Wagoner with his recent article…

Trent Brown's rough practice is reminder that training camp is time to learn, improve

In his article Wagoner brings up a great point, that one shouldn't be so quick to judge a player in training camp. Wagoner brings up coach Shanahan's press conference interview in regards to comments made about Trent Browns' "hard day at the office"...

"While NFL training camps are a great time to evaluate players -- coaches and scouts are doing just that every day -- it's easy to lose sight of the fact that every rep in every practice is also a chance for players to hone their craft..."

"…drawing any sweeping conclusions about a player based on one rep, let alone one practice, can be unfair".

All makes perfect sense, right? If you're a musician, it's like band practice. When your learning a new song you've never played before, you're going to make a lot of mistakes until you get the song down. I'm sure Eddie Van Halen wasn't perfect while coming up with his eruption solo. A few twangs out of key getting it down and now Van Halen sucks? I don't think so. Practice is a time to let it all hang out and to not be afraid of mistakes, but be aware of them and learn from them.

I'm not going to give any excuses for these players, but I'm not going to tolerate unfair reporting either. Good job to Nick Wagoner for pointing it out.

Nick's Entire ESPN Article…

http://www.espn.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/25879/trent-browns-rough-practice-a-reminder-of-what-training-camp-is-for
[ Edited by vermonator on Aug 2, 2017 at 9:57 AM ]
It's training camp. Some guys practice great and play great. Other practice poorly and play great. And some guys practice poorly and play poorly. That's why at times you get multiple reports of how great a guys camp has been then his regular season play doesn't match up to the reports. Some guys come out and look great in practice just to play the part. But really they not in the game for the love and they perform like that once the regular season starts. You have others that just aren't fired up for training camp and might not particularly perform well. But once that will to win and adrenaline kicks in when the regular season starts: the guy is a beast. Just won't know til the real games start. How many times have we seen reports of so and so having a great camp. Then the season starts and the guy is basura. It's just a mixed bag.I take all these reports from all the writers with a grain of salt. Some writers are Fox and some are MSNBC. Ppl tend to like and back guys who support what they think and not like the guys who are critical of what they think.

Kudos to ESPN staff writer, Nick Wagoner with his recent article…

Trent Brown's rough practice is reminder that training camp is time to learn, improve

In his article Wagoner brings up a great point, that one shouldn't be so quick to judge a player in training camp. Wagoner brings up coach Shanahan's press conference interview in regards to comments made about Trent Browns' "hard day at the office"...

"While NFL training camps are a great time to evaluate players -- coaches and scouts are doing just that every day -- it's easy to lose sight of the fact that every rep in every practice is also a chance for players to hone their craft..."

"…drawing any sweeping conclusions about a player based on one rep, let alone one practice, can be unfair".

All makes perfect sense, right? If you're a musician, it's like band practice. When your learning a new song you've never played before, you're going to make a lot of mistakes until you get the song down. I'm sure Eddie Van Halen wasn't perfect while coming up with his eruption solo. A few twangs out of key getting it down and now Van Halen sucks? I don't think so. Practice is a time to let it all hang out and to not be afraid of mistakes, but be aware of them and learn from them.

I'm not going to give any excuses for these players, but I'm not going to tolerate unfair reporting either. Good job to Nick Wagoner for pointing it out.

Nick's Entire ESPN Article…

http://www.espn.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/25879/trent-browns-rough-practice-a-reminder-of-what-training-camp-is-for

Nailed it!
Matt Maiocco: "Kilgore's strong play prompts 49ers to release Zuttah"

Matt Burrows: "Two days before their preseason opener the 49ers went through a pad-less, hit-less practice"

Eric Branch: "49ers' practices more hard-hitting under Kyle Shanahan"

*Cohn: "49ers practice like losers before their first preseason game"

Wow, Cohn really sets himself apart doesn't he? It's like he's watching a different team then the other beat writers.

Matt Burrows: "Two days before their preseason opener the 49ers went through a pad-less, hit-less practice"

Wow, Cohn really sets himself apart doesn't he? It's like he's watching a different team then the other beat writers.

Oh brother. Cohn's headline would have been rejected by any respectable high school paper.

What's the asterisk for?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
What's the asterisk for?

There's risk of contamination when reading his e-coli filled "articles"
Share 49ersWebzone