LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 415 users in the forums

Let's talk 49ers Secondary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
I don't like that single safety s**t. disaster waiting to happen.

"We knew they played a high safety so we took advantage...(paraphrased)" ~ Alex Smith. Kaepernick wouldn't have known that if he was still playing here.

I'm no expert, but as I understand it the team that runs the single high safety successfully is Seattle, right?

Don't you guys think that one of the key components to that is having physical CBs that don't let WRs get off the line of scrimmage untouched? I mean, if you don't do that then you leaving yourself in obvious 1 on 1 coverage pretty much every play. Which even a middle of the road NFL QB can shred easily (as we just saw)....

I'm just not sure how this D alignment is supposed to work with the type of non physical CBs we have....

Yup, you have to be able to jam effectively. No doubt.
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
The offensive line and secondary keep me up at night. All those corners Baalke drafted and it's still one of the biggest weaknesses on the team.

Rashard Robinson is a stud in the making but there about it. I was hoping Redmond would step up and be one our #2 corner but as of now, he may not even make the team. K'wuan Williams is a decent nickel corner. Dontae Johnson seems to be having a good camp before he got hurt but he's not the long term answer at the #2 corner spot IMO. Witherspoon could be, but he's two years away Imo

This is where Lynch comes in big...in next yr's draft. He knows D backfield and talent for it . That is where we are going to find our real talent for the DBs. And who knows...maybe a couple guys step forward this yr. And Saleh really hasn't had that much time to teach each individual guy how he wants them to play. I think our current guys come around, but not til later. Could they flail all yr long? Possible, i guess, but they are going to get better. RR, for example. He's better than he showed the first few plays of the game. How long til he gets on track? Not too long. All DBs will get way more coaching time /player once the roster is trimmed. Do we need better talent? Yup. Can we get by with what we have? If the front 7 continue to play as we saw a couple nites ago, yes . But DBs need to get better. Way better.
Updates?

Saw Tartt had a sack and 6 tackles.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Updates?

Hate saying this considering how high he was drafted...just haven't been very impressed by Tartt. During his time here, too many poor angles taken, getting juked/missing tackles too much, and the occasional bonehead play like early in last night's game on the punt. On his sack, he came in high and his hand hit the QB's head, which we've seen called a penalty in the past.
Updates?

And pulled a Kyle Williams. Moron
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Updates?

And pulled a Kyle Williams. Moron

This
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I really hope they bring in some CB's or trade for one. We all criticized Witherspoon for being soft, Rashard Robinson has been whiffing on tackles left and right. Bring in Leon Hall please!!!!
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I really hope they bring in some CB's or trade for one. We all criticized Witherspoon for being soft, Rashard Robinson has been whiffing on tackles left and right. Bring in Leon Hall please!!!!

Agreed, and also about Leon Hall. He played well last year for getting up there in age...would be a veteran presence at CB and can play S if needed. I wonder what's up with him, if he can still play, etc.? The Niners brought him in for a tryout earlier but signed Will Davis.

• jcs
  • Veteran

Our secondary is so bad a flier on D.Revis might be worth a thought...
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

Agreed, and also about Leon Hall. He played well last year for getting up there in age...would be a veteran presence at CB and can play S if needed. I wonder what's up with him, if he can still play, etc.? The Niners brought him in for a tryout earlier but signed Will Davis.

49ers brought in Leon Hall that's my reasons for bringing him up all the time. But his presence would be awesome I think, sure some may just see him as a Nickel guy, but he can play outside and has for the NYG.

Originally posted by jcs:

I'd also be all in for Revis if Lynch and Shanahan think it's worth it. 49ers need to do something with this secondary, I don't feel good about the competition they have right now in Asa Jackson, Keith Reaser, Will Redmond and Prince Charles.

49ers brought in Leon Hall that's my reasons for bringing him up all the time. But his presence would be awesome I think, sure some may just see him as a Nickel guy, but he can play outside and has for the NYG.

I'd also be all in for Revis if Lynch and Shanahan think it's worth it. 49ers need to do something with this secondary, I don't feel good about the competition they have right now in Asa Jackson, Keith Reaser, Will Redmond and Prince Charles.

Can't fix everything right away. It is clear next season we will focus on getting some talent on the secondary. Is there any good ones in the draft?
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by gold49digger:

Can't fix everything right away. It is clear next season we will focus on getting some talent on the secondary. Is there any good ones in the draft?

It's looking to be a huge hole however....if we can't slow the pass game especially the deep pass big plays against us it's going to be a long season ala last year.
I agree that this is the most concerning position, but I also think it will be the most exciting to watch and follow.
I have a feeling Johnson and Robinson are going to surprise a lot of people
I'm also looking forward to Willams in the slot
Share 49ersWebzone