There are 274 users in the forums

Let's talk 49ers Secondary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
NFL rulebook:
Actions that do not constitute pass interference include but are not limited to:
(a) Incidental contact by a defender's hands, arms, or body when both players are competing for the ball, or neither player is looking for the ball. If there is any question whether contact is incidental, the ruling shall be no interference.
(b) Inadvertent tangling of feet when both players are playing the ball or neither player is playing the ball.
(c) Contact that would normally be considered pass interference, but the pass is clearly uncatchable by the involved players.
(d) Laying a hand on a receiver that does not restrict the receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.
(e) Contact by a defender who has gained position on a receiver in an attempt to catch the ball.
Good discussion all.

I'm concerned because Saleh says, "it's all about the ball" but in using this technique, it's impossible to make a play on the ball...that and it's adverse to what they are used to playing. I think this technique is perfectly fine for the slot CB because he's designed to trail but I'm not liking the boundary CB's.

Thanks for the visual, Hero.
The simplest solution is to play with proper leverage and stay on top of everything. Then you won't have to worry about using that technique anymore.
BTW unpacking and learning this scheme has given me a newfound respect for Richard Sherman. The guy is brilliant and surgical with his technique.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Heroism:
This could be an example of why they don't want their CBs turning their head in that context. Note how much separation is created after Dick turns his head:

gif

Good example. Perhaps Saleh/Hafley want the CBs to focus on re-establishing/gaining body position rather than the ball if they are trailing. If they are able to get right on the WR's hip when in trail, it would force a very accurate throw in order for the completion. What's dangerous is if the ball is underthrown, it's practically an automatic defensive PI if the CB doesn't look back for the ball. If the CB does look back for the ball on an underthrown pass, and "accidentally" runs into the WR - incidental contact, no flag.

Bingo my dudes. This aint an experience Sherm either...
Originally posted by suckafree17:
Originally posted by Heroism:
This could be an example of why they don't want their CBs turning their head in that context. Note how much separation is created after Dick turns his head:

gif

Good example. Perhaps Saleh/Hafley want the CBs to focus on re-establishing/gaining body position rather than the ball if they are trailing. If they are able to get right on the WR's hip when in trail, it would force a very accurate throw in order for the completion. What's dangerous is if the ball is underthrown, it's practically an automatic defensive PI if the CB doesn't look back for the ball. If the CB does look back for the ball on an underthrown pass, and "accidentally" runs into the WR - incidental contact, no flag.
This is what all the "illigal contact" was about couple years ago.
I thought that was about contact beyond 5 yards of the LoS? I thought incidental contact was still a valid reason for no flag, when both CB and WR look back for the ball?

Your're right, illegal contact is after 5 yards. What I was referring to was not having our head turned to the ball and hip riding the WR. If we don't disturb the route, its not PI. But, if we don't disturb the route and we have any contact with the receiver, its illegal contact. SEA would do just that, ride the WR or force them out with body position but not commit the obvious PI.
One word... "bla"
The only way this type of defence works is if we have solid CB's.
I was worried about this before the preseason started and we let Goff steam roll us ...
Originally posted by Constantine:
One word... "bla"
The only way this type of defence works is if we have solid CB's.
I was worried about this before the preseason started and we let Goff steam roll us ...

Sorry but this defense works with pressure.. Matter of fact every defense does lol. Everyone knows DBs look better with better pressure. Weve had pressures but not enough along with sacks.

Im not trippin.. Im in it for the long run.

I can smell next off seasons cooking already. Smells good.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Sep 28, 2017 at 7:04 PM ]
Where's Kolohe? Niners just signed Leon Hall per Adam Schefter.
Let's talk 2018 49ers Secondary....

Richard Sherman, Ahkello Witherspoon, Jaquiski Tartt, Adrian Colbert; That is a pretty good starting secondary on paper though obviously Sherman is coming of a serious injury and Tartt and Colbert are still a bit unproven and have their own durability questions.

Though, we do have Jimmy Ward as basically another starting DB as he can play both CB spots, nickel corner and free safety. Say what you want about him, but having him as our 5th DB is a huge plus especially with Sherman coming of that achillies injury. Also we have K'Wuan Williams who played really well as our nickel corner last year and I think he only gets better. So basically we have 6 starters. I also think Greg Mabin is a guy worth keeping an eye on and I think he can develop into a solid player for us.

We will take a Corner/DB early in the draft, I hope it is the 2nd or 3rd rd and not with our first pick. I love Derwin James, absolutely love him but I don't consider safety a need and it would almost be a luxury pick for us and I don't think we're at that point yet. I would pass on Denzel Ward at 9. I love Jaire Alexander and would consider him if we could trade down from 9. I really think Minkah Fizpatrick is going to be the guy JOHN LYNCH wants to take at 9 if he is available. I like Fitzpatrick, but again he is more of a safety than corner and he is also a little bit to much of a tweener for my liking, at least for a top 10 player. Don't get me wrong, I think he is a player and basically a bigger version of Tyrann Mathieu but I don't think he is worth taking at 10, at least for us.

In the 2nd or 3rd RD I really, REALLY like J.C Jackson from Maryland. I think he may end up being the best cornerback from this draft. I also like Carlton Davis from Auburn in the 2nd or 3rd rd. Very good, deep draft for cornerbacks and which is why I hope we don't take a CB/DB at #9.

Share 49ersWebzone