LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 181 users in the forums

Let's talk 49ers Secondary

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Other than Wide Receiver, this might be the most concerning position on the team IMO. We do have some talent, but it is a very young group and a lot of question marks. While Tremaine Brock was not a great player by any means, he was a solid veteran at a position we are thin and inexperienced at.

Rashard Robinson has the potential to be a #1 type corner but he is still very young and raw. Is he ready to be a #1 corner right now? I don't think so but at this point I think he is our #1 guy. Who starts next to him? Keith Reaser appears to have the edge over Dontae Johnson with K'Waun Williams holding down the nickel corner role. I think K'Wuan can be a very solid nickel for us and while I like Reaser, I don't think he is a starter in this league. The key guy will be Will Redmond. He was a top 40 talent prior to his ACL injury. If he can work his way back from that injury, I think he can be a very good NFL starting corner in the Janoris Jenkins mold. I really think him and Robinson could form a really good starting cornerback duo for the next 6,7, 8 years but not quite yet. Ahkello Witherspoon has the talent to start down the road but I think he will almost be a "redshirt" this year. He is very talented but very raw and I don't expect him to contribute this year. I think Dontae Johnson is on his way out.

The safety position might even thinner and weaker. I think moving Jimmy Ward to his college position at FS is a smart move and I think he can excel at that spot in this defense, but I worry about him holding up physically for 16 games. Backing him up is an undrafted small-college guy Lorenzo Jerome who I really like and I think will stick here and have a future, but jeez that's who you are banking on to back up a guy who is playing FS his first year in the NFL and has durability issues, that is scary. Like I said though, I think Jerome is going to be a very good pro and a heck of a find for us ala Zack Bronson, but I wish we had a more experienced guy back there right now. That is probably why they are looking at Byrd and Leon Hall.

As for strong safety, Eric Reid should be a natural for this position moving over from FS if he can regain his old toughness. Since he got his 3rd concussion he has been a very average player. I really hope Jaquiski Tartt can make a move and get an opportunity to prove himself and push Reid for the SS spot. I think he could be the player we are looking for in this scheme at SS as he big, physical and can run. Don Jones sticks as a decent backup who excels on ST's.

So as of now, this is how I have our secondary looking

CB- Rashard Robinson
CB- Keith Reaser
FS- Jimmy Ward
SS- Eric Reid
Nickel- K'Wuan Williams

Tartt, Redmond, Witherspoon Don Jones and Jerome as backup's..... Nothing to feel real good or confident about it.

What do you guys this about our secondary moving forward?
As I wrote this I see Donate Johnson is now working with the first team defense, not Reaser LOL. Either way, I am not to confident in either of those guys as starters.
IMO, their performance will improve in part due to a vastly improved front 7.
  • 91til
  • Veteran
They are very young, but talented. Robinson and Ward have shown me enough to where I'm excited and optimistic about those two pieces. Even not having seen Ward at FS yet. Ward's durability at FS is a lingering worry. Reid, may not be quite as intimidating of an enforcer at the SS... but he's a guy that I hope, will make a lot of plays, tackles, PBUs... I think he can be solid to good. He is a smart veteran with some athleticism and talent. Plus there's Tartt as a wildcard / piece / depth. Can he unseat Reid? We don't know yet.

So that leaves one position, the other CB, that we're unsure about. Well, I guess two including slot cb.

Outside CBs -- Johnson, Redmond, Reaser, Witherspoon, Iworah

Nickel-- Williams, Redmond, Reaser

I don't know who will emerge as the starters at those two spots. I'm going to guess Redmond (outside) and Williams in the slot. Johnson, Witherspoon, and Reaser provide good young depth, and maybe one of them becomes the starter outside. But I feel like they are going to be ok, and probably grow throughout the season. Also they're all young and pushing each other. This is a group I'm actually, excited to watch. Hopefully with better run D, better pass rush and better play from the front 7 overall, along with playing in a simpler scheme, allows them to outperform outside expectations for this year.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

I agree
Hafley clearly seems high on Williams moreso than Redmond, but it's still early. Hafley knows Williams from CLE.

I'm hoping DJ or Witherspoon really impress outside. They have the length you look for in press cover three.
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

I agree

And the defensive scheme and techniques required within it.
This is probably the most talent we've had in the secondary and depth since forever...

...but like you say, it's still going to take until next year to hit its stride through scheme familiarity, growth and development.

In short, I'm not worried at all...now.
As I wrote this I see Donate Johnson is now working with the first team defense, not Reaser LOL. Either way, I am not to confident in either of those guys as starters.

Me either. As of right now after Robinson the entire CB group is a totally un proven. Just can't call who will be good b/c we just haven't seen enough of a sample size to figure it out. Gonna be a lot of competition. I think Spoon will rise to the top after a year. Definitely think they should bring in Hall as a vet who can play outside and inside.
  • thl408
Other than Wide Receiver, this might be the most concerning position on the team IMO. We do have some talent, but it is a very young group and a lot of question marks. While Tremaine Brock was not a great player by any means, he was a solid veteran at a position we are thin and inexperienced at.

Rashard Robinson has the potential to be a #1 type corner but he is still very young and raw. Is he ready to be a #1 corner right now? I don't think so but at this point I think he is our #1 guy. Who starts next to him? Keith Reaser appears to have the edge over Dontae Johnson with K'Waun Williams holding down the nickel corner role. I think K'Wuan can be a very solid nickel for us and while I like Reaser, I don't think he is a starter in this league. The key guy will be Will Redmond. He was a top 40 talent prior to his ACL injury. If he can work his way back from that injury, I think he can be a very good NFL starting corner in the Janoris Jenkins mold. I really think him and Robinson could form a really good starting cornerback duo for the next 6,7, 8 years but not quite yet. Ahkello Witherspoon has the talent to start down the road but I think he will almost be a "redshirt" this year. He is very talented but very raw and I don't expect him to contribute this year. I think Dontae Johnson is on his way out.

The safety position might even thinner and weaker. I think moving Jimmy Ward to his college position at FS is a smart move and I think he can excel at that spot in this defense, but I worry about him holding up physically for 16 games. Backing him up is an undrafted small-college guy Lorenzo Jerome who I really like and I think will stick here and have a future, but jeez that's who you are banking on to back up a guy who is playing FS his first year in the NFL and has durability issues, that is scary. Like I said though, I think Jerome is going to be a very good pro and a heck of a find for us ala Zack Bronson, but I wish we had a more experienced guy back there right now. That is probably why they are looking at Byrd and Leon Hall.

As for strong safety, Eric Reid should be a natural for this position moving over from FS if he can regain his old toughness. Since he got his 3rd concussion he has been a very average player. I really hope Jaquiski Tartt can make a move and get an opportunity to prove himself and push Reid for the SS spot. I think he could be the player we are looking for in this scheme at SS as he big, physical and can run. Don Jones sticks as a decent backup who excels on ST's.

So as of now, this is how I have our secondary looking

CB- Rashard Robinson
CB- Keith Reaser
FS- Jimmy Ward
SS- Eric Reid
Nickel- K'Wuan Williams

Tartt, Redmond, Witherspoon Don Jones and Jerome as backup's..... Nothing to feel real good or confident about it.

What do you guys this about our secondary moving forward?
The wildcards to me are DJ and Redmond. Especially Redmond who I want to see succeed at slot CB. It appears there are certain physical traits that the 49ers want on the outside based on the Witherspoon selection. This is why I don't see Reaser (5'10") contending for an outside spot.

Ward at FS will go through a learning curve as he gets reacclimated to operating in space, and his second position change in 2 years. I'm fine with entering the season being uncertain about Ward playing FS. Only one way to find out, sink or swim. At SS I think Reid will win it, but I want Tartt to even though I don't think he will. Only because Tartt is the one still on his rookie deal.

What I'd like to happen. I want these guys to gel and grow old together.
CB: Robinson, Witherspoon, Redmond
FS, SS: Ward, Tartt

What I think will happen to start 2017:
CB: Robinson, DJ, KWIlliams
FS, SS: Ward, Reid

Reaser will not be the other starter at CB. That wil either be D. Johnson or the rookie Witherspoon.
Will Davis added to the mix. Not sure if he is anything but for camp. Hasn't played much the past two years, can't imagine him out playing reiser.
Will Davis thought we were done with torn ACLs

Sounds like a camp body to me
Maybe he's trying out to be a back up safety? Either way I smell camp body
I like the direction this team is going and I like the potential for the new defensive scheme, but with that said, this secondary leaves a lot to be desired. Not trying to be a negative Nancy, but none of these guys instill much confidence. We are a long way away...
Share 49ersWebzone