LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 214 users in the forums

QB Josh Rosen

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Amazing play! Daniel Jeremiah just posted some very impressive throws one as he gets crushed by a defender, still throws a dime for a TD this kid is tough in the pocket.

Other QBs including Darnold and Allen look to scramble out of the pocket to early DJ also posted there video breakdown.
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:

Other QBs including Darnold and Allen look to scramble out of the pocket to early DJ also posted there video breakdown.

Like after 1 read? That reminds me of someone.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerSickness:

Do you watch College football at all..... The reason people are so high on him is that he moves IN the pocket and keeps his eyes downfield while under duress. Did you see THREE of the starting offensive line that left USC go higher than 4th in the Draft... NO...

You guys need to watch more games... and Darnold is known to spread the ball. JJSS production fell under Darnold while the entire passing attack thrived.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
As a UCLA fan my big knock on him is he seems to fall off quite a bit against top competition. He missed the last half of his sophomore year for surgery on his throwing shoulder. I think he is a long way from being crowned king.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
As a UCLA fan my big knock on him is he seems to fall off quite a bit against top competition. He missed the last half of his sophomore year for surgery on his throwing shoulder. I think he is a long way from being crowned king.

THANK YOU!!!! As a USC guy, I know Rosen is very good. My biggest knock is his throwing shoulder. The drop in his play regarding higher competition has a lot to do with WHY his shoulder got crushed... the UCLA line is great at getting QB's killed. USC's isn't a whole lot better but Darnold can move around making a would be sack a 20 yard completion.

If Rosen is able to throw the ball... which I believe is still a concern... He's a first rounder (IMO) but that nerve damage is absolutely NO joke. The kid nearly fainted in pre-game warmups attempting a 10 yard toss. Not good.
Originally posted by Geeked:

THANK YOU!!!! As a USC guy, I know Rosen is very good. My biggest knock is his throwing shoulder. The drop in his play regarding higher competition has a lot to do with WHY his shoulder got crushed... the UCLA line is great at getting QB's killed. USC's isn't a whole lot better but Darnold can move around making a would be sack a 20 yard completion.

If Rosen is able to throw the ball... which I believe is still a concern... He's a first rounder (IMO) but that nerve damage is absolutely NO joke. The kid nearly fainted in pre-game warmups attempting a 10 yard toss. Not good.

Im a UCLA guy and i agree. That shoulder worries me but i think he can make a full recovery.

UCLA did Rosen no favors. Horrible O-line and no real threats at WR or RB. Rosen's issue is that he would stand in that pocket and take a beating because his O-line wasnt good enough to block and his WRs werent good enough to get open. Im hoping this 2018 team will give Rosen something to work with. But if not, we could be looking at a real steal in 2018
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Im a UCLA guy and i agree. That shoulder worries me but i think he can make a full recovery.

UCLA did Rosen no favors. Horrible O-line and no real threats at WR or RB. Rosen's issue is that he would stand in that pocket and take a beating because his O-line wasnt good enough to block and his WRs werent good enough to get open. Im hoping this 2018 team will give Rosen something to work with. But if not, we could be looking at a real steal in 2018

I kinda forgot about that. How did UCLA miss on so many WRs??? I have to think there's something going on in the coaching area. I know they took a couple of SC coaches (which were not asked to come back to USC after the Sark debacle). They also took one of USC's RB coaches and made him the OC...which, he may have not been ready.

Still, I can't think of a PAC12 team that doesn't have decent receivers outside of UCLA. And I have to question the assumption that it's lack of talent...
  • BobS
  • Veteran

I must admit I didn't watch a lot of college football the last couple years, but when you are complaining about the USC line I guess we aren't in Kansas anymore? I might have caught one USC game a year for the last 3. I always remember thinking before that USC quarterbacks mostly failed in the pros because they could not adjust to not having 5 seconds to throw to receivers open by 3 yards. USC and poor line play seem to break the paradigm.

The difference is Rosen in a pro style offense his experience to call the plays at the line or audible super seed Darnolds ability to run like johnny football and find an open guy. That style of QB is burning out I'm liking Rosen over the rest since he's a traditional pocket QB. Not to mention his new OC is from the Jim Harbaugh tree which should help him this year.
Originally posted by NinerSickness:

Do you watch College football at all..... The reason people are so high on him is that he moves IN the pocket and keeps his eyes downfield while under duress. Did you see THREE of the starting offensive line that left USC go higher than 4th in the Draft... NO...

You guys need to watch more games... and Darnold is known to spread the ball. JJSS production fell under Darnold while the entire passing attack thrived.

You totally missed the reference there.

UCLA's Josh Rosen leads the Pac-12 returning quarterbacks with his 8.3 yards per attempt on non-play action passes from a year ago.

My comparison
[ Edited by 49er_Rider on Jun 18, 2017 at 3:23 PM ]

UCLA's Josh Rosen leads the Pac-12 returning quarterbacks with his 8.3 yards per attempt on non-play action passes from a year ago.

My comparison

The most complete QB IMO and ready to start day 1 the good thing about the 2018 draft is that is going to be loaded IMO

I would love for him to be a 49er
Originally posted by Shalynch:
The most complete QB IMO and ready to start day 1 the good thing about the 2018 draft is that is going to be loaded IMO

I would love for him to be a 49er

Agreed. And it's not even that close for me.

Still, I can't think of a PAC12 team that doesn't have decent receivers outside of UCLA. And I have to question the assumption that it's lack of talent...

Generally speaking, all the HCs since Toledo have been fairly conservative. Those HCs tried to rely on pro concepts and disciplined players. There were some good years, but yes, the schemes weren't creative/aggressive enough and the talent wasn't the best fit either (they often were just content with 2nd tier CA players). The same is true for the other offensive positions.

Mora has been an improvement in at least getting elite talent, though it's been more on the defensive side. Maybe the Michigan guy he hired as OC will finally put together the pieces on offense.
[ Edited by zonkers on Jun 18, 2017 at 9:45 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone