LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 181 users in the forums

QB Josh Rosen

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
That's why I started the 2018 Draft QB Rankings thread. Should be interesting to see how it changes over the next 12 months.

I have not seem it yet NinerBuff on here.
Originally posted by Oilcan:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Since we are being premature, who drafts 1 - 5? I see us drafting anywhere from 4th - 10th.

Jets
Bills
Niners
Browns
Bears
Jax
Rams

And of those teams only the Bears are sure not to take a QB next year and I'm sure they would love to equal the score if we call to trade up.
And two of those have 2 firsts.
Unless we are already in position to draft one it's going to be extremely costly if not impossible to move up.

According to Vegas only the browns have the worst odds than the 49ers to have the top pick next year. We're in good shape
Originally posted by Shalynch:
Originally posted by Oilcan:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Since we are being premature, who drafts 1 - 5? I see us drafting anywhere from 4th - 10th.

Jets
Bills
Niners
Browns
Bears
Jax
Rams

And of those teams only the Bears are sure not to take a QB next year and I'm sure they would love to equal the score if we call to trade up.
And two of those have 2 firsts.
Unless we are already in position to draft one it's going to be extremely costly if not impossible to move up.

According to Vegas only the browns have the worst odds than the 49ers to have the top pick next year. We're in good shape

Nice mechanics but comes off as a douche, kind of looks douchey too. Undecided if that's a good trait in a QB.....
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
Nice mechanics but comes off as a douche, kind of looks douchey too. Undecided if that's a good trait in a QB.....

Very humble kid with high football IQ if he stays healthy he will have a big year.

IIRC that was the main knock on him in the recruiting process. Dilfer (FWIW) publicly criticized Rosen after an apparently douchey camp performance. The rumor was that Stanford pulled their offer (they were his leader) for the same reason. I think it's good that Rosen's smart and confident, but he does need to tone it down and have better situational awareness. Another thing to watch is how he develops as a leader. I believe he's been progressing there, so maybe it's not a concern.

IMO he already has NFL talent. He just needs some physical and mental maturity. Mora may not necessarily find a good OC for Rosen, but I think he'll help in the growing up department.
Don't forget we now have 2 seconds and 2 thirds to use to move up. If for some reason we need to move up to get the QB we want we have the tools to do so. Offering the first and 2 seconds would move us up a lot in the draft. Hopefully Kizer shows a lot of promise and the Browns don't need a QB. But, there are 4-56QBs that can be considered franchise QBs that can come out next draft.
Rosen
Darnold
Allen
Jackson
Falk
Rudolph
Reminds me so much of either the '83 or '84 draft.
Originally posted by zonkers:

IIRC that was the main knock on him in the recruiting process. Dilfer (FWIW) publicly criticized Rosen after an apparently douchey camp performance. The rumor was that Stanford pulled their offer (they were his leader) for the same reason. I think it's good that Rosen's smart and confident, but he does need to tone it down and have better situational awareness. Another thing to watch is how he develops as a leader. I believe he's been progressing there, so maybe it's not a concern.

IMO he already has NFL talent. He just needs some physical and mental maturity. Mora may not necessarily find a good OC for Rosen, but I think he'll help in the growing up department.

Been following this kid since high school, Rosen as a Junior committed to UCLA in high school, that Stanford rumor is just that. Rosen has been an advocate for college players to be paid if that comes out douchy to people I really dont know what to say. He had that one IG post where he was in a hot tub with a girl that drew concerns but really that's it.

Other than Mora being a mentor in preparing him for the pros he's really not a good coach and maybe his last year at UCLA. This spring Rosen talks about how the injury really made him humble and gave him a different perspective. he's 19 but very mature for his age I'm not worried about that.
Definitely my favorite qb entering next years draft. Unfortunately I see him falling in rankings a little bit because of a lack of production and Josh Allens and Sam Darnolds fast rise. But probably the cleanest prospect in terms of pure thrower and mechanics and football iq.
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
Originally posted by Shalynch:
Josh Rosen has some of the prettiest mechanics you'll see from a college quarterback. In fact, his pocket movement and release remind me of Andrew Luck.

- Matt Miller

It will be so funny since the rams have a Norcal guy in Goff and the 49ers get the SoCal guy in Rosen 😂

That possibility crossed my mind as well. Rosen is by far my early favorite as the best fit for the Niners in next year's draft. If we don't get Cousins I think we could be in range to get him, even we have to use our ammo to trade up from the 6-10 range where I expect us to be picking in the next draft.

Originally posted by Hangman_52:
Don't forget we now have 2 seconds and 2 thirds to use to move up. If for some reason we need to move up to get the QB we want we have the tools to do so. Offering the first and 2 seconds would move us up a lot in the draft. Hopefully Kizer shows a lot of promise and the Browns don't need a QB. But, there are 4-56QBs that can be considered franchise QBs that can come out next draft.
Rosen
Darnold
Allen
Jackson
Falk
Rudolph
Reminds me so much of either the '83 or '84 draft.

It is potentially a great draft for QB's. Far better than this years draft. I would love to draft really high for one more year. Because it could fix our franchise.

Or deal up which will be very expensive. But even that we may have to do.

I honestly would rather just be really bad for one more year. There is no way this team is going anywhere next year anyway.

A very high pick in the right slot in the draft next year can fix this franchise. Another super bad year is OK with me. I'm not sure if we will do it. But I think we are bad enough still to have a shot at one more really high pick. Which is fine with me.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
It is potentially a great draft for QB's. Far better than this years draft. I would love to draft really high for one more year. Because it could fix our franchise.

I honestly would rather just be really bad for one more year. There is no way this team is going anywhere next year anyway.

A very high pick in the right slot in the draft next year can fix this franchise. Another super bad year is OK with me. I'm not sure if we will do it. But I think we are bad enough still to have a shot at one more really high pick. Which is fine with me.

I think that would be best for the long term growth and success of the team. One step back before a giant leap forward IMO.

I'm perfectly ok with us getting the #1 overall pick next year but I'd like to see us lose close, hard fought games where maybe we get a couple of unlucky bounces say from the refs so we can feel better about it ;)

I do want to see the young guys grow as players and see the team play well together but just come out on the wrong side of a close game. And looking at the schedule unless Shanahan just works miracles and Hoyer turns in a career year I just don't see us winning more than 7 games. Probably closer to 4.

Having the early pick will allow us to draft one of the top QBs and I think these guys are good enough to be elite for 10+ years. Rather we go that route over Cousins who will be 30 by the time we could even start him.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

I think that would be best for the long term growth and success of the team. One step back before a giant leap forward IMO.

I'm perfectly ok with us getting the #1 overall pick next year but I'd like to see us lose close, hard fought games where maybe we get a couple of unlucky bounces say from the refs so we can feel better about it ;)

I do want to see the young guys grow as players and see the team play well together but just come out on the wrong side of a close game. And looking at the schedule unless Shanahan just works miracles and Hoyer turns in a career year I just don't see us winning more than 7 games. Probably closer to 4.

Having the early pick will allow us to draft one of the top QBs and I think these guys are good enough to be elite for 10+ years. Rather we go that route over Cousins who will be 30 by the time we could even start him.

I agree 100%. One more terrible season can fix this franchise for the next 10 - 15 years. That is worth it IMO.
The thing that worries me is that Rosen may get some comps in the area close to Luck if he has a great year which will probably happen with the amount of defensive talent that left the PAC 12 in this year's draft. He scares me because when I watch him I see Mike Glennon. He has slow feet and they are heavy in the pocket. He is no where close in the althletically gifted department compared to Luck and many other consensus #1 guys. It is very likely he becomes the number one QB prospect next year. You know what that means in a deep draft.

Me personally, I've got to see more from him to be convinced.
Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:
He has slow feet and they are heavy in the pocket.

I noticed that too, but he plants & releases extremely quickly, so his overall time to get rid of the ball may still be pretty quick.
Share 49ersWebzone