LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 203 users in the forums

QB Josh Rosen

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by HarbaughzDeep:
He has slow feet and they are heavy in the pocket.

I noticed that too, but he plants & releases extremely quickly, so his overall time to get rid of the ball may still be pretty quick.

Yes he does he's very patient and always goes through his progressions
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
Originally posted by zonkers:
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
Nice mechanics but comes off as a douche, kind of looks douchey too. Undecided if that's a good trait in a QB.....

IIRC that was the main knock on him in the recruiting process. Dilfer (FWIW) publicly criticized Rosen after an apparently douchey camp performance. The rumor was that Stanford pulled their offer (they were his leader) for the same reason. I think it's good that Rosen's smart and confident, but he does need to tone it down and have better situational awareness. Another thing to watch is how he develops as a leader. I believe he's been progressing there, so maybe it's not a concern.

IMO he already has NFL talent. He just needs some physical and mental maturity. Mora may not necessarily find a good OC for Rosen, but I think he'll help in the growing up department.

Been following this kid since high school, Rosen as a Junior committed to UCLA in high school, that Stanford rumor is just that. Rosen has been an advocate for college players to be paid if that comes out douchy to people I really dont know what to say. He had that one IG post where he was in a hot tub with a girl that drew concerns but really that's it.

Other than Mora being a mentor in preparing him for the pros he's really not a good coach and maybe his last year at UCLA. This spring Rosen talks about how the injury really made him humble and gave him a different perspective. he's 19 but very mature for his age I'm not worried about that.

All good points. IMO a few years of growing up is likely the only thing standing between him and starting in the NFL. He has thrown some games away with ill-advised gambles, but it's nothing he can't improve on. Ultimately, GMs are going to rank him high because of his aptitude and exceptional hand eye (foot) coordination. So long as he doesn't develop character concerns or bad habits (like a Kizer or Cook), he should go somewhere in the first.
[ Edited by zonkers on May 2, 2017 at 10:13 PM ]

I noticed that too, but he plants & releases extremely quickly, so his overall time to get rid of the ball may still be pretty quick.

I think he owes the quick release/actions to his tennis background.
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:
Originally posted by GoldenJoe:
Nice mechanics but comes off as a douche, kind of looks douchey too. Undecided if that's a good trait in a QB.....

IIRC that was the main knock on him in the recruiting process. Dilfer (FWIW) publicly criticized Rosen after an apparently douchey camp performance. The rumor was that Stanford pulled their offer (they were his leader) for the same reason. I think it's good that Rosen's smart and confident, but he does need to tone it down and have better situational awareness. Another thing to watch is how he develops as a leader. I believe he's been progressing there, so maybe it's not a concern.

IMO he already has NFL talent. He just needs some physical and mental maturity. Mora may not necessarily find a good OC for Rosen, but I think he'll help in the growing up department.

Been following this kid since high school, Rosen as a Junior committed to UCLA in high school, that Stanford rumor is just that. Rosen has been an advocate for college players to be paid if that comes out douchy to people I really dont know what to say. He had that one IG post where he was in a hot tub with a girl that drew concerns but really that's it.

Other than Mora being a mentor in preparing him for the pros he's really not a good coach and maybe his last year at UCLA. This spring Rosen talks about how the injury really made him humble and gave him a different perspective. he's 19 but very mature for his age I'm not worried about that.

All good points. IMO a few years of growing up is likely the only thing standing between him and starting in the NFL. He has thrown some games away with ill-advised gambles, but it's nothing he can't improve on. Ultimately, GMs are going to rank him high because of his aptitude and exceptional hand eye (foot) coordination. So long as he doesn't develop character concerns or bad habits (like a Kizer or Cook), he should go somewhere in the first.

honestly, UCLA has done a s**tty job recruiting for offense. Rosen hasnt had an O-line, an above average RB, or any weapons. I like the projected offense for UCLA this year so we should see Rosen's stats soar
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
honestly, UCLA has done a s**tty job recruiting for offense. Rosen hasnt had an O-line, an above average RB, or any weapons. I like the projected offense for UCLA this year so we should see Rosen's stats soar

Mora is lousy coach but to be fair even with all the problems UCLA had last year Rosen was having a better year than his freshmen year before he got injured his averages per completion and yards per game went up.

I think he owes the quick release/actions to his tennis background.

That makes a lot of sense. In tennis, you get really good at planting & redirecting quickly.
Call me crazy but I'd say he's the best qb to come out since Luck.
Originally posted by Dman11:
Call me crazy but I'd say he's the best qb to come out since Luck.

He might be. There are serious questions about his mental make-up, though. He's apparently cocky (not in a good way) and a little entitled. Just what I've heard people say.
He might be. There are serious questions about his mental make-up, though. He's apparently cocky (not in a good way) and a little entitled. Just what I've heard people say.

I know what you're saying. Apparently he's too smart for his own good, but I think that's just a part of growing up for some people and would expect him to grow out of it once he realizes when and where he needs to keep his mouth shut.
There's no comparison. People have to be out of their friggn' minds to think Sam Darnold is better than Josh Rosen.

Darnold looks like Hackenberg 2.0, and Rosen looks like Manning 2.0 (which Manning, I'm not sure).

Accuracy: Rosen

Delivery: Rosen

Reading defense & going through progressions: Tie

Rosen began taking classes at UCLA in January 2015; he had enrolled early so he could take part in spring practice. With three-year starting quarterback Brett Hundley leaving UCLA early for the National Football League (NFL), a large hole was created on the team. Rosen was UCLA's best quarterback during the spring and he continued to compete during summer camp to be the team's starting quarterback as a true freshman On August 26, a week after being publicly criticized by head coach Jim Mora, Rosen was named the Bruins' starting quarterback. He beat out Jerry Neuheisel, who had three years of experience in offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone's up-tempo spread offense, which was similar to the offense Rosen had run in high school. The freshman called Neuheisel "selfless" for helping him during the competition. UCLA entered the 2015 season ranked No. 13 by the Associated Press and No. 14 in the Coaches Poll In the season opener, Rosen completed 28 of 35 passes for 351 yards and three touchdowns as UCLA defeated Virginia 34–16 and he became the first true freshman to start a season opener at quarterback for UCLA. He was honored as the Walter Camp Offensive Player of the Week. In a 17–9 win over No. 18 Utah, he broke Drew Olson's decade-old school record (199) for consecutive passes without an interception. The victory kept UCLA in contention for the Pac-12 championship entering their regular-season finale against their cross-town rivals, the USC Trojans. However, they lost 40–21 to the Trojans as Rosen turned the ball over three times on a fumble and two interceptions, ending his streak of passes without an interception at 245. He was named the Pac-12 Freshman Offensive Player of the Year and earned Freshman All-American honors from USA Today and Sporting News.

Honestly his biggest weakness might be the reported cockiness that everyone is talking about. I think scouts will give him the benefit of the doubt because UCLA doesn't really have much besides him.

Edit: didn't Kyle come off as cock in his interviews? He could see himself in Rosen.

Btw I call being the head of the Rosen bandwagon
[ Edited by gold49digger on May 4, 2017 at 4:41 PM ]
There's no comparison. People have to be out of their friggn' minds to think Sam Darnold is better than Josh Rosen.

Darnold looks like Hackenberg 2.0, and Rosen looks like Manning 2.0 (which Manning, I'm not sure).

Accuracy: Rosen

Delivery: Rosen

Reading defense & going through progressions: Tie

Here in SoCal there is no comparison even on talk radio Darnold had a good year but Rosen has been as good as advertise.
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/4/30/15491688/2018-nfl-mock-draft-quarterbacks-josh-rosen-sam-darnold-49ers-browns

"2018 NFL mock draft: The year of the quarterback is soon to be at hand"

With Hoyer starting in this division, 5 wins... We will be in a perfect position to draft our franchise Qb Mr. Rosen.

I want

3 things I noticed watching this highlight video:

1) that o-line is amazing. Rosen had a clean pocket for most of his throws The couple of games I caught last season they looked great. But I can't speak for the other games.

2) He stares down his wr's too much for my liking. Although, it could be that the plays are drawn up that way to give him an easy defined target.

3) he does have a sweet release and touch on the ball.
[ Edited by Bay2Bay9erAllday on May 4, 2017 at 7:48 PM ]
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
3 things I noticed watching this highlight video:

1) that o-line is amazing. Rosen had a clean pocket for most of his throws The couple of games I caught last season they looked great. But I can't speak for the other games.

2) He stares down his wr's too much for my liking. Although, it could be that the plays are drawn up that way to give him an easy defined target.

3) he does have a sweet release and touch on the ball.

I think you'll also appreciate his sophomore season where he suffered significant nerve damage in his throwing shoulder. The highlight video of him almost passing out in pain after throwing a 15 yard pass was pretty spectacular. I hear Baalke recommended getting him as players with critical injuries to their most important tool to do their job are gold.
Share 49ersWebzone